Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, in various places haunting wasn't seen as a problem, because they were your family and presumably you were used to living with them.
Not even Death can get grandma out of the house. She's with you forever. FOR-EV-ER.

And now we know why the the cemetery was invented :)

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Mel Brooks(yes, THAT Mel Brooks), fought in the Battle of the Bulge during WW2 as part of the US Army.

I feel like there's a comedy sketch in there somewhere, though considering how many jokes Brooks made about Hitler over the years, maybe I don't have to suspect.

I never realized he was a Vet, let alone a WW2 combat vet.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Mel Brooks(yes, THAT Mel Brooks), fought in the Battle of the Bulge during WW2 as part of the US Army.

I feel like there's a comedy sketch in there somewhere, though considering how many jokes Brooks made about Hitler over the years, maybe I don't have to suspect.

For a moment I thought you meant a veterinary, and I had the awesome image of a WW2 combat veterinary.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, didn't learnt this today, but recently.

You know that fire in the coal mine underneath Centralia in the US that was an inspiration for Silent Hill? Apparently it could have been put out, but there was a lot of red tape, including arguments over who had to pay for it. And as the fire kept getting bigger as time was wasted, by the time it was decided to do something, the something was too small for the current problem and they had to go back for more arguing. A quick response could have dealt with the problem.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Medieval surgeons, despite a lack of knowledge (partially because the Church was against them), had all sorts of weird tools for getting arrowheads out of the body (and hopefully stopping the barbs of the arrows from making things worse).

A treatise of the time mentions a method or removing an arrow that's gone through a bone and gotten stuck, you attach forceps to the arrowhead, and then attach the forceps to a crossbow, and then fire it, yanking the thing out. Which was about the best they could do.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

James Doohan (Montgomery Scott in Star Trek) landed on Juno Beach; although his injuries were a case of friendly fire. Sometimes people have a surprising history compared to what we see of them.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
James Doohan (Montgomery Scott in Star Trek) landed on Juno Beach; although his injuries were a case of friendly fire. Sometimes people have a surprising history compared to what we see of them.
Don Adams (of Get Smart fame) was in the USMC during WW2, he was an expert marksman and contracted malaria after being shot by a Japanese sniper in the Pacific. Later, he became a drill instructor.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Apparently, DC finally decided that it's ridiculous to have a superhero who can't say his own name in casual conversation and is now going to call Shazam, formerly known as Captain Marvel, just The Captain.

It's obviously not great, but what else could they have done?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Apparently, DC finally decided that it's ridiculous to have a superhero who can't say his own name in casual conversation and is now going to call Shazam, formerly known as Captain Marvel, just The Captain.

It's obviously not great, but what else could they have done?
An unreasonable part of me is saying 'Literally anything else', but the realistic part of me is just gonna let that other part of me run out of puff in like, twenty minutes.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today I learned about Transmaxxing, which is when incels transition to female, because society is rigged against men, particularly non-conventionally attractive ones, and if masculizing is not an option, then they should feminize and adopt a female identity to improve their station in life.

It's too stupid to not be real. Also TERFs worst nightmare.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Today I learned about Transmaxxing, which is when incels transition to female, because society is rigged against men, particularly non-conventionally attractive ones, and if masculizing is not an option, then they should feminize and adopt a female identity to improve their station in life.

That's adorable. I hope they're transitioning to "conventionally attractive" women, or else they're in for a little surprise.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's adorable. I hope they're transitioning to "conventionally attractive" women, or else they're in for a little surprise.
They thought of that. If theyre a male 3 and then become a female 3, then theyre still ahead because a female 3 is equivalent to a male 5 or something. Cuz thats how that works in incelandia.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Cuz thats how that works in incelandia.
Yeah, but they might find themselves on Earth instead. And the awakening will be pretty brutal.

And hilarious, when they'll face incels.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Don Adams (of Get Smart fame) was in the USMC during WW2, he was an expert marksman and contracted malaria after being shot by a Japanese sniper in the Pacific. Later, he became a drill instructor.
I'm trying to imagine Don Adams Screaming at Marine Recruits and I basically just keep giggling at the idea.

My head hurts. I'm gonna go lie down.