What have you learned today?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I mean, if that’s the absolute worst these guys can say about him, then Carter is gonna walk away smelling of roses compared to many of his successors and predecessors. And while it’s possible he mellowed with age - looking at you, James Cameron - that doesn’t excuse being a massive asshole in your youth.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That Roman gladiators ate a mostly vegetarian diet of barley, beans and dried fruits, and probably looked pretty pudgy rather than musclebound so more TF2 Hoovy than Kratos. They also probably fought barefooted.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That Roman gladiators ate a mostly vegetarian diet of barley, beans and dried fruits, and probably looked pretty pudgy rather than musclebound so more TF2 Hoovy than Kratos. They also probably fought barefooted.
Yeah, a layer of fat helps protect the body from blows. And real-life strongmen don't look like bodybuilders, as a rule. Apparently part of the diet was due to some quack medicine superfood rubbish.

Reactions: gorfias

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There are actually 613 commandments.

A number of them very specific about incest. Disturbingly so. Also a lot of stuff about Levened bread.

Reads on.

Holy Shit.
510-Deut. 18:11 — Not to attempt to contact the dead
The fact there's a commandment about this implies this was a serious problem at one point. Ancient Judaism, do we need to have a talk about Necromancy?

I swear that a lot of these read like Ancient Warning Labels, and you know someone either tried it or did it to warrent the shout out.

And because someone has to do it.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Well, given how many people have since tried to pray Jesus...
Ouch.

It would be amusing if turns out the reason for that particular rule is less because it's causing problems for the living, but more because the dead were tired of being hassled by the living.

High Priest: "And before we go, I have a note here from Moses. It says that he'd like people to stop trying to call him asking him questions about the Pentateuch and I quote 'Every damn day people are contacting me. I thought being dead I'd be able to get some rest. That No Soliciting sign is there for a reason you Jerks. Let me be dead in peace'

With that being said, if I get another note like this, I'll make it an official rule that it's off limits forever and then nobody can do it!"

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias and EvilRoy

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Welp.

Using starch makes sense, but from the article:

"Potato starch replaces human blood as a key ingredient in the new recipe."

So that's a thing I know now. Probably really did the astronauts a solid on making that swap.

To be fair, this does look pretty cool, and the starch/blood itself is less the source of strength than it is what holds elements together while they hydrate. Martian/moon dust acting as the cementatious material is really interesting, but I'm surprised this is an option since I assume water comes at a premium on Mars. 72 MPa is kind of too strong as well I think, but that should be scalable.

I actually worked as a lab assistant in a concrete research lab when I first started out, basically as the guy who mixed the concrete design the smart people came up with so we could see the workability and strength, and blood and starch are actually not the most horrible things I've seen go into a mix. Somehow. Macerated poop mixed with shaving cream will never be dethroned, but that was mostly a smell issue.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Key statement-
Historians are now trying to determine how it became embedded in the rock and why.

" The famous mythical legend of King Arthur goes that he pulled his magical Excalibur sword from the stone it was forged in. "

No, Excalibur was a different sword altogether.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Today I learnt that in 563 AD a tsunami occured in my little lake, with 10 meters high waves that devasted all the nearby towns.

Also that it will happen again, just a matter of time. 😶

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Apparently in Ancient Mesopotamia, it was common at one point to bury your dead relatives under the floorboards of your house. Except the dead kids and infants. You'd bury them in the walls.

You want Haunted houses? Because that's how you get haunted houses, people!

To be fair, there's a lot of myths and legends of ghosts from that time and place, as well as how to get them to go back to the underworld, so apparently they were aware of this and there was an ancient equlvent of the Ghostbusters people could call on to deal with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently in Ancient Mesopotamia, it was common at one point to bury your dead relatives under the floorboards of your house. Except the dead kids and infants. You'd bury them in the walls.

You want Haunted houses? Because that's how you get haunted houses, people!

To be fair, there's a lot of myths and legends of ghosts from that time and place, as well as how to get them to go back to the underworld, so apparently they were aware of this and there was an ancient equlvent of the Ghostbusters people could call on to deal with this.
Yeah, in various places haunting wasn't seen as a problem, because they were your family and presumably you were used to living with them.