What have you learned today?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Air racing is still a thing ? Apparently ? Somehow ?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That the game Zero Wing, (in)famous for the phrase "All your base are belong to us", had a Turbografx-16 release with fully voiced cutscenes with an entirely different story than the one showcased in the Megadrive version.

I also found out that it was quietly released on Steam and gog about a month ago with a newly translated opening cutscene, which... had some good ideas but an execution that leaves something to be desired.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
A lot of people and nations have claimed to be the true successors of the Roman empire, but perhaps one of the most interesting cases(Aside from Russia, which calls itself "The Third Rome", apparently), is the fact that one of the last remaining relatives to the last Byzantine Emporer sold his claim of Roman Empire to the Rulers of both Spain and France around the year 1500. Ironically, both claims allegedly now rest with the current King of Spain, though none of the Spanish monarchy since then seem to give a shit about it.

To be fair, the Roman Empire hasn't existed in any form in 500 years at this point and Roman Succession practices were always all over the place anyway. I just thought it was kinda interesting. It was mostly borne out of a joke of solving some geopolitical problem by giving the land back to the Romans, though that means figuring out WHO that would refer to(My intial guesses would either be to the Pope or the Patriarch of the Eastern Church and it turns out it's way more complex then that. Sulton of the Ottoman Empire also came up, but the Ottomon Empire has been dead a century at this point).

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A lot of people and nations have claimed to be the true successors of the Roman empire, but perhaps one of the most interesting cases(Aside from Russia, which calls itself "The Third Rome", apparently), is the fact that one of the last remaining relatives to the last Byzantine Emporer sold his claim of Roman Empire to the Rulers of both Spain and France around the year 1500. Ironically, both claims allegedly now rest with the current King of Spain, though none of the Spanish monarchy since then seem to give a shit about it.

To be fair, the Roman Empire hasn't existed in any form in 500 years at this point and Roman Succession practices were always all over the place anyway. I just thought it was kinda interesting. It was mostly borne out of a joke of solving some geopolitical problem by giving the land back to the Romans, though that means figuring out WHO that would refer to(My intial guesses would either be to the Pope or the Patriarch of the Eastern Church and it turns out it's way more complex then that. Sulton of the Ottoman Empire also came up, but the Ottomon Empire has been dead a century at this point).
I don't know why anyone would want to claim to be heirs to an empire that practiced crucifixion, damnatio ad bestias and decimation.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Because they lasted a long time, conquered a lot of territory successfully and a lot of cultural heritage comes from it?
They think it adds to their claim to power. Like if they can link themselves to roam, which as you say, lasted a long time and conquered a lot of territory it gives their claims to greatness more weight. Its like white people who claim they are better because of Mozart and classical music.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Reactions: gorfias and Absent

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

10 fps

I refuse to post this in the gaming forum to help avoid the potential guaranteed shitstorm.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Today I stumbled upon the Wikipedia article on sister cities and found out that the village of Dull in Scotland is twinned with the unincorporated community of Boring, in Oregon.

Dull and Boring.
Sounds like someone realized they could keep the joke going and did so.

Then again, what else are you going to do when you live in a place named that? Watch the grass grow?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I went to Buc-ee's for the 1st time and it is even more amazing than this video makes it out to be. It even has it's own roundabout for Buc-ee's only traffic. The brisket, the jerky, the banana pudding (#1 ingredient is bananas too!), the merch, the gas pumps as far as the eye can see; it's beyond belief. I even saw Buc-ee in person!!!

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
It even has it's own roundabout for Buc-ee's only traffic.
This is such an incredibly American thing to say. In England we all get roundabouts for our own houses. I have to do four loop the loops just to drop mail next door when it's delivered to the wrong house.