General Gaming News.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It all depends on who's doing the port not every PS games are ported by the same people. For example, Spider-man port was done by Nixxes (who also did HZD port), and GoW was from Jetpack Interactive. For TLOU, it was done by a company called Iron Galaxy, and they have a history of hit-and-miss on their ports

I heard UC collection was in rough shape as well, but not near as bad.

ND has also made the following statement:

I really hate these types of statements. Like, NOBODY saw the shitstorm coming? The game should've been delayed further back.
Huh, didn't know the UC was also a bad port. Guess that makes Naughty Dog the common denominator 😬

Anyway, yeah I know the ports were done by different people, but you'd think Sony would have a vested interest in not having bad press for their push into PC gaming, especially when they haven't really put much out yet.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Huh, didn't know the UC was also a bad port. Guess that makes Naughty Dog the common denominator 😬

Anyway, yeah I know the ports were done by different people, but you'd think Sony would have a vested interest in not having bad press for their push into PC gaming, especially when they haven't really put much out yet.
It makes me curious about who'll port Bloodborne, IF it gets ported. Fromsoftware tehmselves, or maybe Bluepoint Games?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Damnit Nintendo. You had ONE JOB!
Did they?
They didn't have to remove the durability system... just that some people would've preferred that. There's clear improvements to it though. Stick breaks in 5 hits? Add a common as heck rock to it, and it lasts over a dozen hits with no sign of breaking. Couldn't be simpler, mitigates some of the durability issues, and you get an attack buff from it in the process. Allows for some extra creativity with the environment as well

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Did they?
They didn't have to remove the durability system... just that some people would've preferred that. There's clear improvements to it though. Stick breaks in 5 hits? Add a common as heck rock to it, and it lasts over a dozen hits with no sign of breaking. Couldn't be simpler, mitigates some of the durability issues, and you get an attack buff from it in the process. Allows for some extra creativity with the environment as well
It needs improvement for sure, like allow me to sacrifice weapons to either augment or repair weapons, not just watch a sword shatter in a dozen hit because reasons.

I'm a outspoken fan of BOTW but by god the Weapon Durability system is badly implemented. I know why it's there but it does little other then act as an irritant past the early hours of the game when the sticks you're using suck so yeah, you want to get a better weapons ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
It needs improvement for sure, like allow me to sacrifice weapons to either augment or repair weapons, not just watch a sword shatter in a dozen hit because reasons.

I'm a outspoken fan of BOTW but by god the Weapon Durability system is badly implemented. I know why it's there but it does little other then act as an irritant past the early hours of the game when the sticks you're using suck so yeah, you want to get a better weapons ASAP.
I'm one of those whackos that doesn't mind the durability system in its current implementation in BotW. I know why it's there, I agree with why it was made that way, and I see the purpose it serves. So, since my expectations are already pretty low, seeing these new changes has me pretty stoked as a way to improve the system with some fun new gameplay benefits. Maybe durability could've been a bit higher, but that's about all I would've asked for personally.
However, I absolutely can see the other side, and if Nintendo took the weapon system another direction that wasn't what we see in TotK, I'd be equally fine with that as well. Who knows, it's entirely possible there's still some system in place for weapons that we simply have yet to see. I'm not holding out much hope, but, you never know! They have been fairly tight lipped so far

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm one of those whackos that doesn't mind the durability system in its current implementation in BotW. I know why it's there, I agree with why it was made that way, and I see the purpose it serves. So, since my expectations are already pretty low, seeing these new changes has me pretty stoked as a way to improve the system with some fun new gameplay benefits. Maybe durability could've been a bit higher, but that's about all I would've asked for personally.
However, I absolutely can see the other side, and if Nintendo took the weapon system another direction that wasn't what we see in TotK, I'd be equally fine with that as well. Who knows, it's entirely possible there's still some system in place for weapons that we simply have yet to see. I'm not holding out much hope, but, you never know! They have been fairly tight lipped so far
I think, or would hope, that if they have a way to repair or remake broken weapons that you liked (at a cost) that people would have a lot less problems with it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It makes me curious about who'll port Bloodborne, IF it gets ported. Fromsoftware tehmselves, or maybe Bluepoint Games?

Part of me says keep Bluepoint away. I’d rather them just give the original a faithful PS5 update than an all out remake like Demon’s Souls.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Did they?
Taking physics into account, adding a “rock” to a stick would probably make it break even easier. Might not feel as good on the receiving end, but it does little to disguise that the system is there to artificially encourage exploration and scavenging. Which lends me to believe there probably isn’t much worth searching for in these games if they’re intent to preoccupy the players time with a maintenance meta for combat. Case in point, I wonder how many Korok seeds players will be collecting in this one.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Taking physics into account, adding a “rock” to a stick would probably make it break even easier. Might not feel as good on the receiving end, but it does little to disguise that the system is there to artificially encourage exploration and scavenging. Which lends me to believe there probably isn’t much worth searching for in these games if they’re intent to preoccupy the players time with a maintenance meta for combat. Case in point, I wonder how many Korok seeds players will be collecting in this one.

Everything in a game is artificial.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Part of me says keep Bluepoint away. I’d rather them just give the original a faithful PS5 update than an all out remake like Demon’s Souls.
I gotta watch this video and see what kjnd of bone head take this dude has. Because the Demon's Souls remake is exactly Demon's Souls to the point where they went in and copied the frame data of the original for every weapon, attack, and dodge. It is simply a graphics and frame rate update and the only thing i could see someone complaining about is that they liked it better janky and running at 22fps, and if that is the case.....this is a crazy person.

Edit. I was right. He doesnt like the new graphics because he felt it lost the originals atmosphere. It is a very individual take to have as art is subjective. But it doesnt really get justification for undermining what Bluepoint did with the remake.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
To rephrase that, in terms of game mechanics it feels pretty contrived and bogus. I’ve read the point was to get players to experiment with different weapons, but then am left to wonder what is the point when they just break after a few hits anyways.
I guess that's fair. I'm not too bothered by the durability system aside from the legendary weapons breaking just as fast. Like I said above, I think adding more systems to the mechanic would help make it feel better.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I gotta watch this video and see what kjnd of bone head take this dude has. Because the Demon's Souls remake is exactly Demon's Souls to the point where they went in and copied the frame data of the original for every weapon, attack, and dodge. It is simply a graphics and frame rate update and the only thing i could see someone complaining about is that they liked it better janky and running at 22fps, and if that is the case.....this is a crazy person.

Edit. I was right. He doesnt like the new graphics because he felt it lost the originals atmosphere. It is a very individual take to have as art is subjective. But it doesnt really get justification for undermining what Bluepoint did with the remake.

Embargo Venom2 months ago
One part of the environmental storytelling and lore I like to point out is also in Latria. In the original, the level has these yellow flags, or straps of cloth, spread throughout the level. This obviously, OBVIOUSLY references the Old Monk's takeover and corruption of the area, which the player only realizes later when they meet the boss and see his famously yellow robes, the source of his power. No Blue Point saw these bits of foreshadowing, figured yellow wasn't scary enough or something, and made all the flags red. RED

How do you even miss the point this bad?

Isäntäloinen1 month ago
They also did quite a job on Maneaters. When you enter the arena in original, the first thing you see is a pair of glowing green eyes coming at you from darkess, as this extremely creepy and ominous music kicks in. In remake, you'll see the monster right away and the music is changed to a generic orchestra piece. Not to mention that Maneater's design was changed from a statue embedded with a tortured soul to a hairy gorilla with wings.

Bot Boy1197 1 month ago (edited)
The overwhelming positivity around this remake made me think I was just crazy. What angered me the most were the awful music changes. I’m glad to see there are some other people out there who realize how much this remake is a betrayal to the original. I also agree that bluepoint just radiated arrogance/hubris with many of the changes they put into their version. It saddens me that there are so many people out there now who will only get to experience this inferior edition.

LECKMICH1 month ago
I completely agree with you. The most infuriating design change is what they did to the music. Every song in the remake sounds the same, its all bombastic quire music. Just compare the fools idol music. The original is a somber piano track that often doubles in speed, mirroring the way the fools idol itself creates copies of herself. What does the remake do? Generic bombastic music that vaguely sounds like the original without the speed change. They just dont get it.

Larry Totter 2 months ago
The section about the fat officials is where you got me. Changing them from fat and creepy to fat and disgusting made you just feel sorry for them, not hate them. I only ever saw the remake version and I thought this was going to be a "back in my day" kinda thing but I actually feel you. Imagine Mergo's Wet Nurse had a weird great one face instead of the void. Would just take a lot away from her design. I will however still play the remake and I will most likely still enjoy it (or hate it for other reasons at least)

mohammed 2 months ago (edited)
I did not play the original. The lullaby argument is what drove this home for me. I cannot imagine how I'd feel of they remade bloodborne and added the music box throughout central Yarnham. It would absolutely ruin the greatest atmosphere I have ever experienced in a video game. Bloodborne was my first fromsoft game and the crippling fear of wandering the streets of yharnum was the most immersive atmosphere of all. Hearing the music box only from outside the gate and finding a way to get to the window was exhilarating. It would dramatically change if the music played throughout, and even worse if they made it soothing and less creepy.

Luke W1 month ago
One thing to always remember when doing remakes or adaptations is to make sure that you have a thorough understanding of the meaning of anything before decide whether it would be better to change it or leave it how it is.

What’s the saying, the devil’s in the details…

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Embargo Venom2 months ago
One part of the environmental storytelling and lore I like to point out is also in Latria. In the original, the level has these yellow flags, or straps of cloth, spread throughout the level. This obviously, OBVIOUSLY references the Old Monk's takeover and corruption of the area, which the player only realizes later when they meet the boss and see his famously yellow robes, the source of his power. No Blue Point saw these bits of foreshadowing, figured yellow wasn't scary enough or something, and made all the flags red. RED

How do you even miss the point this bad?

Isäntäloinen1 month ago
They also did quite a job on Maneaters. When you enter the arena in original, the first thing you see is a pair of glowing green eyes coming at you from darkess, as this extremely creepy and ominous music kicks in. In remake, you'll see the monster right away and the music is changed to a generic orchestra piece. Not to mention that Maneater's design was changed from a statue embedded with a tortured soul to a hairy gorilla with wings.

Bot Boy1197 1 month ago (edited)
The overwhelming positivity around this remake made me think I was just crazy. What angered me the most were the awful music changes. I’m glad to see there are some other people out there who realize how much this remake is a betrayal to the original. I also agree that bluepoint just radiated arrogance/hubris with many of the changes they put into their version. It saddens me that there are so many people out there now who will only get to experience this inferior edition.

LECKMICH1 month ago
I completely agree with you. The most infuriating design change is what they did to the music. Every song in the remake sounds the same, its all bombastic quire music. Just compare the fools idol music. The original is a somber piano track that often doubles in speed, mirroring the way the fools idol itself creates copies of herself. What does the remake do? Generic bombastic music that vaguely sounds like the original without the speed change. They just dont get it.

Larry Totter 2 months ago
The section about the fat officials is where you got me. Changing them from fat and creepy to fat and disgusting made you just feel sorry for them, not hate them. I only ever saw the remake version and I thought this was going to be a "back in my day" kinda thing but I actually feel you. Imagine Mergo's Wet Nurse had a weird great one face instead of the void. Would just take a lot away from her design. I will however still play the remake and I will most likely still enjoy it (or hate it for other reasons at least)

mohammed 2 months ago (edited)
I did not play the original. The lullaby argument is what drove this home for me. I cannot imagine how I'd feel of they remade bloodborne and added the music box throughout central Yarnham. It would absolutely ruin the greatest atmosphere I have ever experienced in a video game. Bloodborne was my first fromsoft game and the crippling fear of wandering the streets of yharnum was the most immersive atmosphere of all. Hearing the music box only from outside the gate and finding a way to get to the window was exhilarating. It would dramatically change if the music played throughout, and even worse if they made it soothing and less creepy.

Luke W1 month ago
One thing to always remember when doing remakes or adaptations is to make sure that you have a thorough understanding of the meaning of anything before decide whether it would be better to change it or leave it how it is.

Makes me appreciate that System Shock remake being done and how the people behind it even fired the first group working on it because they were changing things.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I can't disagree with the video more. First off, as a musician myself (to a degree), if you played a boss theme from any Souls game I would not be able to tell you what boss or what game it's from. While Souls boss music is great, in the end it comes off as just a high tension operatic theme designed to bring about anxiety in the player while battling, and that's really about it.

As for the atmospheric changes and visual changes. Souls games have always been driven by interpretation by the player. A lot of the "little" details are abstract and there really isn't any proof that the level design or any of that shit is intentional. The human brain is really good at making connections with things where there aren't any. And this is boosted by the vagueness of the Souls games in nearly every aspect, which does a fantastic job of letting your mind run wild.

What that means is that when you visually upgrade an old game like Demon's Souls, those same vague details change simply by nature of increased detail. Much like what will happen with the Silent Hill Remake. Simply by updating the graphics the game will fundamentally "feel" different and there wont be anything you can do about it as a development team. This comes with the territory. That being said....come on. The Remake plays better, looks better, runs better, feels better to play in every way. All his problems basically fall into unavoidable graphics details that change with upscaling and you can't avoid that, take the Vanguard Demon he complains basically that the color has changed and there is too much detail in the new model. But the original Vanguard Demons look like ass, because they are untextured character models. His complaints about the Fool's Idol can be waved away by her magic brainwashing the prisoners into seeing whatever they want. A lot of detail had to be added to the character models form the ps3 game because a lot of the models wheren't even textured, there was NO detail, and you can't do a game like that anymore.

Not gonna say it's a perfect Remake (but it's close). With a Remake there will always be sacrifices that have to be made in order to update the game, and you can only get so close.

And I would have been on board if any of his arguments when gameplay related. Items not working the same, enemies not behaving the same, you things that actually affect the game's core. But it was all just a artistic opinions, which....okay fair enough, but a lot of it was also unreasonable.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Makes me appreciate that System Shock remake being done and how the people behind it even fired the first group working on it because they were changing things.
Too bad it's been stuck in development hell forever. I wish them the best of luck at everything, but they got to put something out at some point or just cancel the damn thing.

Last edited: