Funny events in anti-woke world

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
For those who still think "go woke, go broke" is true.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Guess they're really trying to avoid losing *another* 3/4 of a billion dollars
I think Murdoch is not always so hands on with Fox as he may be assumed to be - the rumour was he would not stand up to Roger Ailes when Ailes ran it.

However, I think Murdoch, along with perhaps numerous other right-wingers that have fed the crazy over the last few decades, might be regretting where it has gone. This is an opportunity to "clean house" and rein it in from the worst excesses, and Tucker Carlson is the prime target to remove.

Generally, however, fuck Carlson and may he be out of sight, hearing or a job for a l-o-n-g time. He'll have plenty of millions built up over the years to live on, so he's not going to lack for anything.

Reactions: Dalisclock

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
For those who still think "go woke, go broke" is true.

Is having women as customers "woke" now? Are girls playing Blockudoku because of social justice messaging?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Yes, any commercial endeavour to increase the female demographic's participation is "woke".
Companies make pink versions of products to increase the female demographic's participation, is that woke or sexist?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Companies make pink versions of products to increase the female demographic's participation, is that woke or sexist?
You know how this works:

If a company makes a version of a product marketed towards women with an upcharge, that's the pink tax - women are being punished for being women as they cannot help but use only the "pink" version of the product. This remains true even if that version of the product has additional more expensive or specialized components or ingredients. Clearly if society wasn't sexist, the shampoo marketed to women containing bits of 17 endangered plant species and water direct from a single spring somewhere in the alps would cost the same as the one that only contains soap. The important takeaway is that women are being victimized by corporations in this fashion.

If a company makes a version of a product marketed towards men with an upcharge, that's fragile masculinity in action - they're paying extra unnecessarily for a product that shouldn't be gendered because they'll feel less masculine if they don't buy the "men's" version with the upcharge. The important takeaway is that this is an example of a problem with men that is internal to men and can only be fixed by those men themselves.

It would only be woke rather than sexist if the version marketed to women were equally priced or cheaper than the general version.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You know how this works:

If a company makes a version of a product marketed towards women with an upcharge, that's the pink tax - women are being punished for being women as they cannot help but use only the "pink" version of the product. This remains true even if that version of the product has additional more expensive or specialized components or ingredients. Clearly if society wasn't sexist, the shampoo marketed to women containing bits of 17 endangered plant species and water direct from a single spring somewhere in the alps would cost the same as the one that only contains soap. The important takeaway is that women are being victimized by corporations in this fashion.
From a broader perspective, if society operates to pressurise women into maintaining often unrealistic standards of beauty that it does not men, then one might reasonably argue an industry driving absurd and borderline useless products to women at higher cost that it expects of men is, indeed, sexist.

Of course, I could not help but point out that society is possibly becoming more equal, except by men being increasingly pressurised into also meeting unrealistic standards of beauty, because that's much better for the profits of cosmetics firms.

We can then perhaps go a step further: women who don't want to have to accede to societal pressure to look their finest have to change existing societal attitudes, whereas men who don't want to are arguably more defending them. This may justify different approaches to tackling what is in many ways the same issue.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
And famous producer who's worked with some massive bands assuming it's the same Albini.
I think he's vastly more famous as a music producer, although mostly with alternative music (e.g. loads with 4AD artists).

He not done that much work with massive bands, although if I remember rightly he produced one of Nirvana's big albums.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
He not done that much work with massive bands, although if I remember rightly he produced one of Nirvana's big albums.
Yeah, definitely did a Nirvana one, which I think makes you a pretty big fish. But I see the Manics and Bush are in the list too, who were big in their time.