Funny events in anti-woke world

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I feel like this is also something that might affect pedestrians, as another aim at walking as opposed to driving.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Brutalized with menswear knowledge
Personally, I'm a big supporter of traditional masculinity.

I'm going to make an actual point here. This outfit is part of a culture where high status men are judged on the basis of their appearance. It is meant to look ostentatious and highly ornamental because it assumes that the wearer wants to be looked at. Being looked at is a sign of power. The idea of a powerful man in Western Europe in the 18th century is a kind of Regina George figure who can turn heads in court and outmaneuver his rivals with wit and charm. He follows a martial ethos, but one largely based around ritualized dueling and personal honor, not the ability to win a fist fight in a parking lot. He also fucks. He lives in a culture where having extramarital affairs is normal and in many cases carries some kind of official social recognition, so his desirability to women is a small but consequential part of his status.

The kind of muscular aesthetics and stoic emotional reservation people tend to think of as "traditional masculinity" comes from the romantic movement and its obsession with the classical world, which in turn leads to an obsession with the depiction of male bodies in classical art and the supposed association between physical conditioning and moral virtue. What people don't realize is that, right from the beginning, this shit is fucking gay. It is a bunch of gay men pretty openly describing homoerotic attraction to statues of naked men with the barest paper-thin deniability.

"Traditional masculinity" is bourgeois society appropriating the homoerotic aesthetics of a bunch of German romantics as a weapon against the aristocratic class. Then, 19th century gays appropriated the aesthetics of the 18th century aristocratic class as a weapon against bourgeois society.

The point is, the entire concept of what people think "traditional masculinity" is and isn't owes its existence to queer men, which really shouldn't surprise anyone. Queer men obviously think about the aesthetic qualities of male bodies in a way straight men don't tend to, and as such given the limited capacity for women to discuss their own sexuality, opinions on the aesthetics of male bodies tend to be heavily lead by men who are attracted to those bodies.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Conservative: "Let's recycle fertilizer byproducts in a way that has been effective in many other places across the globe, is safer than just piling the chemicals up, and is a substitute for chemicals previously harvested from coal power plants."

You all: "Fascists are killing people and the planet!"

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Conservative: "Let's recycle fertilizer byproducts in a way that has been effective in many other places across the globe, is safer than just piling the chemicals up, and is a substitute for chemicals previously harvested from coal power plants."
The IAEA seems to think it's safe for this purpose, but there's also not exactly a lot of research out there.

In the wider context, there are understandable high concerns about policies that underweigh public safety, usually based ontoo few studies, rigged studies, lack of oversight and safety protocols, etc. This is not just for the environment, but also includes issues like the opioid crisis. It is not unreasonable for people to want good evidence to build public confidence, as trusting companies and the authorities (who are often over-friendly to companies) has often ended in suboptimal results.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Some low-stakes prodding to take the edge off.

Also, the express remains as detestable as ever;

Screenshot_20230508-172734.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Some low-stakes prodding to take the edge off.

I'm just going to point out that 1 Timothy 4:12 says that people should not be looked down upon for being young, but does not specify that we can't look down on them for being douches.

Also, I'm not sure why you want Gen Z conservatives to have a seat at the table, as they already have lots of seats at the table in the form of those 50-, 60, 70-something conservatives who believe the same things.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011

The issue is that while it's good to contain stuff like this, you have to be super careful of how you go about it. The coal industry connection you highlighted is actually a really good example of that.

The chemical you're referring to is called fly ash, and it's basically a super fine ash produced by burning coal at really high temperatures. The ash itself is used as a substitute for cement in concrete mixes at about 20%. It works well for some purposes but it has a lot of drawbacks that we didn't know about until well after the damage was done. It can have a high mercury content depending on the coal source, and the fineness means it slips through a lot of conventional masks and will slowly fuck up your lungs.

So, not great for the people making concrete. And it's not done once you cast the road. Over time the roads wear down and are torn up and crushed back into usable material re-releasing a lot of material.

The stuff is currently being researched by, I think, university Texas, which is a good institution and we'll learn how safe this stuff is to apply overall, but experience has taught us that you don't just start dumping crap into asphalt or concrete to get rid of it - the job really is only half done until you can confirm that it is contained for good. I legitimately think, profit motive aside, that a person suggesting this has their heart in the right place, but you can't just go for it and assume everything will work itself out.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
It's not as if roads are constantly being used by heavy weights at high speeds that degrade the surface and produce dust that gets into the air breathed by people walking living and working near those roads or anything.
Everyone knows roads are permanent structures that never require any maintenance whatsoever.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Everyone knows roads are permanent structures that never require any maintenance whatsoever.
Driving around the UK at the moment, I'm worried that the British government thinks the roads are permanent structures that don't require maintenance.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

It's like the gun debate. Abbot came out after the mall shooting a couple of days ago and said it was a mental health problem (well, after blaming gangs because the person looked Hispanic so of course that meant gangs. Can't see any problems with that logic...) Now, this is great. We could do a lot of things with Abbot's comment that might help the situation.

So, let's have a look around for the actual policy. McCarthy brought forward a budget that... reduce spending on mental health. Oh, that's weird. (I'll remind you that McCarthy is in charge of the budget.) Abbot reduced spending on mental health too. Oh my. Is there any push to have courts remove guns from dangerous people like those with mental health issues? None? Well, that's so surprising. Many commentators, including the likes of Shaprio, stated that Neely needed to be kneeled on by the ex-army guy in the Subway a week ago because he was having a mental health episode and was clearly dangerous. I don't know how killing someone on a subway that didn't hurt anyway is supposed to 'make it safe.' Or even safer than someone having a mental episode on the train. That seems rather counterintuitive.

I like the idea of reusing items. I don't trust DeSantis to either intentionally or unintentionally poison people. He has shown to lie most of the time and has done very little to help his own constituents. So, I very much doubt it's safer. I can say that someone is paying DeSantis to do it and that's probably why it will happen. At least have the common decency to half-ass helping people like Biden does

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So, let's have a look around for the actual policy. McCarthy brought forward a budget that... reduce spending on mental health. Oh, that's weird. (I'll remind you that McCarthy is in charge of the budget.) Abbot reduced spending on mental health too. Oh my. Is there any push to have courts remove guns from dangerous people like those with mental health issues? None? Well, that's so surprising. Many commentators, including the likes of Shaprio, stated that Neely needed to be kneeled on by the ex-army guy in the Subway a week ago because he was having a mental health episode and was clearly dangerous. I don't know how killing someone on a subway that didn't hurt anyway is supposed to 'make it safe.' Or even safer than someone having a mental episode on the train. That seems rather counterintuitive.
Well, you see, using resources to help people is communist and will lead to bread lines and reeducation camps. Letting crazy people with guns kill people with mental issues who don't have guns is FREEDOM!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Most people in the US have wanted tighter restrictions for some time, hasn't mattered much.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Most people in the US have wanted tighter restrictions for some time, hasn't mattered much.
Also most people in the US wanted Hillary Clinton rather than Donald Trump, hasn't mattered much either.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also most people in the US wanted Hillary Clinton rather than Donald Trump, hasn't mattered much either.
Well, of the people that voted in that election, people that wanted Clinton had a slight majority. I believe that out of the total population of the US, people that favour tighter gun restrictions have a significant majority.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
The chemical you're referring to is called fly ash, and it's basically a super fine ash produced by burning coal at really high temperatures. The ash itself is used as a substitute for cement in concrete mixes at about 20%. It works well for some purposes but it has a lot of drawbacks that we didn't know about until well after the damage was done. It can have a high mercury content depending on the coal source, and the fineness means it slips through a lot of conventional masks and will slowly fuck up your lungs.
You're confusing fly and bottom ash. Fly ash is comparatively safe, being comprised of non-toxic light particulates with insignificant heavy element composition. Strictly speaking, it's the least-toxic constituent of concrete and the least-toxic pozzolan available; limestones used in cement manufacture can and do have higher concentrations of heavy elements, radioisotopes, and other toxic chemicals.

Bottom ash is concentrated death. So naturally, we use fly ash for road construction and bottom ash for building construction. Hence the whole "radon in schools" thing: public service buildings made as cheaply as possible, using concrete foundations and cinder blocks manufactured with CBA.