Street Fighter VI - 3rd Strike Times Two.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
That old guy, JP I think is his name, he has that KoF boss vibe. I don't play many tricky zoners with weird buttons, only one of that style I mained was Saya from Nitro+, but I think he is a character that I wanna try this time around. Also based on the new content, DJ looks like a ton of fun. If you give any char a deadly rave it's an indication that a lot of fun can be had there.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok...
Hi. I'm-a join this hype train.
So.. I downloaded the demo cause I just found out there is a demo, will likely try that over the weekend or whenever.
I created a Capcom login so I can join the beta test, and I watched the showcase.

Here's my impressions:
1- World Tour looks super lame. Maybe it is better than other fighting game story campaigns, but those are always so bad that isn't really saying much. Of course if I buy this game I will try it but all that stuff about buying clothes and fighting ladies with cardboards on their heads (lulz what even?!)... I dunno.
More importantly, the fun of these games is the characters, why do we wanna create our own? I see the progression is based around glomming on moves from the established characters. But then I can just play those characters! I dunno, not into it.

2- All the training stuff. Slo-mo and some different button configurations. And those sound-based accessibility cues are wild, pretty cool they're doing that. I don't know how effective it would actually be, I look forward to hearing about it. This stuff is great- let the pros fight for rank and the casuals mess around and be able to pull off sick moves in the privacy of our own consoles. Love it.

3- Kimberly and Manon look hella cool, but Jamie is the potentially most interesting one with this mechanic of having to work up to do better and better moves as the fight goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the best players use those types of characters, while casuals and those that just wanna mess around will favor a Camy type who flies around everywhere.

4- Fight Arena, or whatever that thing was called, with the clubs and the arcade games, also looks hella lame.

So I won't be surprised if I just end up sticking with Arcade mode after dabbling and dropping with anything else, but that's fine, that's what I want anyway. I wanna do those flying combo grapple moves with Kimberly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
- World Tour looks super lame. Maybe it is better than other fighting game story campaigns, but those are always so bad that isn't really saying much. Of course if I buy this game I will try it but all that stuff about buying clothes and fighting ladies with cardboards on their heads (lulz what even?!)... I dunno.
More importantly, the fun of these games is the characters, why do we wanna create our own? I see the progression is based around glomming on moves from the established characters. But then I can just play those characters! I dunno, not into it.
Because it's fun. Also, not everybody wants to just go into training mode, online, or versus all the time. The casuals are the ones that dictate the sales on fighting games, not the hardcore. The problem with a lot of fighting games today is that they're just arcade games charged at $60+. The Japanese style fighting games suffered from this the most. I'll take extra optional bonus modes, over nothing. I'm sure they'll be some minor hiccups here and there, but from when I'm hearing the story mode is actually good and gives enough gameplay variety. It's called replay value. We talked about this already. It's the same reason why certain people don't want to deal with one-off games.

4- Fight Arena, or whatever that thing was called, with the clubs and the arcade games, also looks hella lame.
It's just there to kill some time while you're waiting to fight somebody. It's not required but it's nice options. Or fighting games need bonus modes and alternative styles of play. Makes for a better of value.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah I'm not complaining about it, just noting my impressions.

Dumb question, based on me not playing fighting games much, but it will be crossplay, right? I can get my ass kicked by PC bros while I mash my XBox controller I hope.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I'm not complaining about it, just noting my impressions.

Dumb question, based on me not playing fighting games much, but it will be crossplay, right? I can get my ass kicked by PC bros while I mash my XBox controller I hope.
Crossplay was confirmed last year.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Played the demo, and,
you guys- I don't know if modern fighting games are for me. The damn analog stick doesn't.. do the thing I need it to. I don't know how to explain but like I go forward down forward punch to do a dragon punch and my Ryu just hops up like a tool.
Understand that the dragon punch and haduken movements are ingrained in my muscle memory from childhood. I did that at the arcade and the SNES effortlessly.
And now I remember having this problem when I tried Mortal Kombat... 10? maybe it was?... I dunno, something about using a controller with these games, it's not feeling good. My left hand hurt after an hour.

But, you know, except for how I seem to be inherently allergic to these games now or some shit, it's great! The demo gives you Ryu, the old "default" guy, and Luke, the new "default" guy. And it's clever, they make the former more of a distance/defensive player and the latter more of an offensive player, though they have the same input controls and move sets just different enough to encourage different strategies which is the right way to do it. And I wonder if making Luke the offensive guy is a way to promote him to popularity.

The demo also lets you create a character and play the intro for the world tour mode and, yeah, it's exactly what I suspected, that awkward JRPG style of dialogue and quest assignment from like Genshin Impact or whatever and, blech. I do like the idea of getting and choosing different moves from different characters, that could be kinda fun to mess around with, perhaps to battle against friends who have done similar and see that happens?

So I'm really on the fence about it now, but it's more about fighting games in general. I mean if I'm gonna get into a fighting it'll be this, I just am afraid of triggering osteoporisis or something. There is an open beta next weekend and I do plan to to give that a shot, schedule and connectivity willing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Played the demo, and,
you guys- I don't know if modern fighting games are for me. The damn analog stick doesn't.. do the thing I need it to. I don't know how to explain but like I go forward down forward punch to do a dragon punch and my Ryu just hops up like a tool.
Understand that the dragon punch and haduken movements are ingrained in my muscle memory from childhood. I did that at the arcade and the SNES effortlessly.
And now I remember having this problem when I tried Mortal Kombat... 10? maybe it was?... I dunno, something about using a controller with these games, it's not feeling good. My left hand hurt after an hour.

But, you know, except for how I seem to be inherently allergic to these games now or some shit, it's great! The demo gives you Ryu, the old "default" guy, and Luke, the new "default" guy. And it's clever, they make the former more of a distance/defensive player and the latter more of an offensive player, though they have the same input controls and move sets just different enough to encourage different strategies which is the right way to do it. And I wonder if making Luke the offensive guy is a way to promote him to popularity.

The demo also lets you create a character and play the intro for the world tour mode and, yeah, it's exactly what I suspected, that awkward JRPG style of dialogue and quest assignment from like Genshin Impact or whatever and, blech. I do like the idea of getting and choosing different moves from different characters, that could be kinda fun to mess around with, perhaps to battle against friends who have done similar and see that happens?

So I'm really on the fence about it now, but it's more about fighting games in general. I mean if I'm gonna get into a fighting it'll be this, I just am afraid of triggering osteoporisis or something. There is an open beta next weekend and I do plan to to give that a shot, schedule and connectivity willing.
Get a fighting game pad. Those are a life saver. Street Fighter can be played with a controller, and honestly works fine on default PS4 and PS5 Dual Shock, or an XBOX 1/Series controller. Arcade Sticks don't make the controls easier, and are there for nothing more than legacy. There are some advantages with stick, but it takes a ton of time and dedication! What system were you playing on again?

As for World Tour mode, it's supposed to be goofy fun meant help teach casual players, or to be immersed in DA STREETZ, SON!

The game takes a more Shenmue/Yakuza style approach. I apperciate mode for having a combination of Street Fighter and Final Fight. SFVI WT mode is close as you're going to get to Final Fight 4. Certain FFi characters even show up in WT! Now that is proper fan-service!

You can try Modern Controls, if you wanna press buttons, or ease yourself in before moving on to Classic Controls. I don't play as many fighting games as I used to, but Street Fighter I will never abandon.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I was playing on XBox Series S.
I think I'm gonna break out the PS5 from storage. I didn't think I'd need it for a while but I do like dual sense best, and maybe it'll be better. But I won't be able to get at it before the beta probably.
So if find some enjoyment out of the beta, I'll break out the PS5 and buy the game for that. The placement of stick and d-pad just make more sense for me. The PS4/5 is where I do my FromSoftware gaming which, for me, is my only other real skill gaming.

I'm not gonna get a whole 'nother controller for one game. I play on a couch anywhere, where I'm gonna put a fight stick? Believe me, they do look cool and yes the nostalgia factor for the arcade feel is a nice idea, but that's just not going to be practical for me.
As for "modern" mode vs classic- I honestly can't even see the point of the former for me. Executing special moves is like the whole point of street fighter, I don't want one button to just do it for me. Also it seems it only has light attack and heavy, not middle? Wtf lol no thank you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not gonna get a whole 'nother controller for one game. I play on a couch anywhere, where I'm gonna put a fight stick?
That's why I said a fighting game pad/controller first. They're usually cheaper than a console's default controller (not always) and much cheaper than an arcade stick. There is aPS5 version of this that came out recently, but it is $60. The one I got back in 2020 is $40, but is compatible with PS4, PS3, and PC. I didn't say you should get a fight stick, and was only pointing out the disadvantages of getting one.

As for "modern" mode vs classic- I honestly can't even see the point of the former for me. Executing special moves is like the whole point of street fighter, I don't want one button to just do it for me. Also it seems it only has light attack and heavy, not middle? Wtf lol no thank you.
The funny thing is that even if you use Modern Controls, putting in the normal inputs for EX and Specials nets you more damage than using auto-combo/one button inputs. So you are still rewarded for doing it the harder way. Modern Controls are literally for people who want to button mash, look cool, or ease themselves in first before moving on to Classic Controls. It's no different frim Guilty Gear's Stylish Mode or the Auto-Combo buttons from Dragonball FighterZ.