Playstation showcase 5/24/23

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Fuck yeah for the following:

- Phantom Sword (looks amazing, Sekiro/Nioh aesthetic vibes and sick, slick combat)

- Revenant Hill. Hell yes! Night in the Woods vibes again at last!

- Metal Gear Solid 1-3 collection. Had been looking for a good time to play a classic series I barely touched before. Perfect opportunity.

And tentatively watching:

- FFXVI (FF hasn't given me what I actually want from FF since 12, but my soft spot for the series keeps me playing later installments anyway).

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I can never understand cloud gaming. I don't always want to be playing games. There are times when I want to stay away.

And we got more on spiderman 2. I saw they references many heroes and villains. Does this mean they will make som sort of reference?

Also, symbiote spiderman looks more brutal. Switching between Peter and Miles sounds cool

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Oh well, we didn't get to see any PC port annoucements, but I'd say this was a very strong showcase

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I gotta be honest, I think this showcase was a bit weak.

No Stellar Blade still. No FF7, most new big announcements were live service garbages, and as per usual the indies looked cute whatever.

Really the only surprise was seeing Dragon's Dogma so soon and with actual gameplay. But besides that it was kind of....pffft.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I gotta be honest, I think this showcase was a bit weak.

No Stellar Blade still. No FF7, most new big announcements were live service garbages, and as per usual the indies looked cute whatever.

Really the only surprise was seeing Dragon's Dogma so soon and with actual gameplay. But besides that it was kind of....pffft.
I disagree. I thought it was a good showing overall. I was not expecting Dragon's Dogma II, Alan Wake II, RE4R VR Mode, and a reboot of Marathon. Phantom Blade 0 looks great. Granblue Fantasy Relink is back in production, but it looks like Platinum is not developing it. Not surprising, as they left the project years ago. Cygames is doing it in-house this time. Stellar Blade wasn't coming to the show. I knew it was not gonna show up. The indies do their thing, and I am invested in some of them. VR is gonna VR, but there are good games. Too bad I am not a VR nut. The live service games are already dead, and they might as well not exist.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Marathon's another live service game
So that's like 5 live services that showed up not including Destiny.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Marathon's another live service game
So that's like 5 live services that showed up not including Destiny.
Really Bungie? You take one of your most scared single-player FPS IPs, and turned into a live-service? Why? The original Marathon does have mp, but that was never its main feature.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Thought this one was pretty weak.

If the stuff that I was (or should be) immediately interested in:

Assassin's Creed looked even safer than I thought it would - though its nice to see the franchise returning to its roots.

Alan Wake 2 seemed interesting, though I have regrettably never played a Remedy game (I guess I should Remedy that, ehe), so im not really personally invested in this announcement/reveal. Even so, it was probably the most promising reveal of the night.

Bungie rebooting Marathon seemed like it could have been really special, but then it turned out that the rumours were true, and it is indeed a live service PvP Extraction Shooter, which makes me not give the slightest shit about that.

Spider-Man 2 looks like more Spider-Man PS4, which is to say that im actually pretty disappointed. This visually doesn't really look like a PS5 game, and it actually looked pretty dated. The demo also looked pretty choppy too. Obviously visuals aren't everything (im sure I will love it as much as I loved the first game), and it still looks like a fine looking game, but maybe I was expecting too much from the generational leap.

Some of the indie stuff looked pretty neat, though. The Plucky Squire seems like the standout.

I dunno, pretty underwhelming.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
When everyone's a live-service, no will be.
There are two fundamental flaws with trying to bank everything on a live service.

1. The market is too saturated. And it's not just that there are a lot of live service games, there are a lot of different types of live service games and they all can potentially have their place. WoW doesn't really compete with Fortnite for example. However this flaw kicks it when these publishers want both a live service but also something that can be made quickly and cheaply, which means fucking arena shooters. From Splatoon to Apex, from Warzone to Fortnite. Not only are there too many live service games, but there are also way too many of the SAME live service game.

2. Player's time. This sort of piggybacks off point one, but if someone's chosen live service is Warzone, then that player is never going to stick around in your fucking foam territory control game. People who played WoW, didn't go play Rift. They might try these games but ultimately players are going to be at home with whatever game they've been playing and have probably sunk time and money into, and some shitty knock-off attempt at pulling them away is never going to happen. If you want to make a new live service game then you have to make a game that doesn't overlap with one of the other live services already super successful.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Thought this one was pretty weak.

If the stuff that I was (or should be) immediately interested in:

Assassin's Creed looked even safer than I thought it would - though its nice to see the franchise returning to its roots.

Alan Wake 2 seemed interesting, though I have regrettably never played a Remedy game, so im not really invested. (I guess I should Remedy that, ehe)

Bungie rebooting Marathon seemed like it could have been really special, but then it turned out that the rumours were true, and it is indeed a PvP Extraction Shooter, which makes me not give the slightest shit about that.

Spider-Man 2 looks like more Spider-Man PS4, which is to say that im actually pretty disappointed. This visually doesn't really look like a PS5 game, and it actually looked pretty dated. The demo also looked pretty choppy too. Obviously visuals aren't everything (im sure I will love it as much as I loved the first game), and it still looks like a fine looking game, but maybe I was expecting too much from the generational leap.

Some of the indie stuff looked pretty neat, though. The Plucky Squire seems like the standout.

I dunno, pretty underwhelming.
I agree I was a bit sad, I thought with the FF6 trailer it would at least come with a demo announcement or more FF news to follow it up, but naw.

AC Mirage looks like they're going back to AC-classic, which is fine but I never liked the AC games until the Origin change up which makes this game a huge skip for me.

Alan Wake looks more of the same, and the first game wasn't very good. But there is something to say about Remedy's way of story telling that sort of makes their games better despite the gameplay being pretty lackluster. So I'll give it a maybe, which will depends heavily on what else releases around the same time.

I think Spider-Man 2 being just more Spider-Man is perfectly fine. The swapping between the two Spider-men, and the increased speed of the travel are cool and there are obviously new attacks and powers. It's just more Spider-Man which is what I expected and I'm sure it'll be sick.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are two fundamental flaws with trying to bank everything on a live service.

1. The market is too saturated. And it's not just that there are a lot of live service games, there are a lot of different types of live service games and they all can potentially have their place. WoW doesn't really compete with Fortnite for example. However this flaw kicks it when these publishers want both a live service but also something that can be made quickly and cheaply, which means fucking arena shooters. From Splatoon to Apex, from Warzone to Fortnite. Not only are there too many live service games, but there are also way too many of the SAME live service game.

2. Player's time. This sort of piggybacks off point one, but if someone's chosen live service is Warzone, then that player is never going to stick around in your fucking foam territory control game. People who played WoW, didn't go play Rift. They might try these games but ultimately players are going to be at home with whatever game they've been playing and have probably sunk time and money into, and some shitty knock-off attempt at pulling them away is never going to happen. If you want to make a new live service game then you have to make a game that doesn't overlap with one of the other live services already super successful.
These publishers, developers, console makers, or all the above, can't let it fucking go! You would think they would learn something, after shutting all of the other live service games down. They'll get the message sooner or later (much sooner), when hits their bottom line.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Alan Wake 2 seemed interesting, though I have regrettably never played a Remedy game, so im not really invested. (I guess I should Remedy that, ehe)
You can get either version of Alan Wake 1 cheap nowadays. Just get the remastered version for the sake of convenience. If you have an X One or Series, you can get the game even cheaper. The game is good, but expect some jank. Even the remastered version carries the jank. I like it, but I don't replay it often. It's better than Quantum Break.

Reactions: gorfias