Playstation showcase 5/24/23

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Okay, Xbox has taken a lot of Ls as of late but I will give this is funny
They're one to talk 🙄

No one talking about this ... thing?
Streaming via remote play? So not only do you need a PS5, you're limited to using it within wifi range i.e. basically within your home, which is where that PS5 already is, and which is something you could already do with any of the phones and/or tablets you already own. Seriously, what's the point?
Truly, it's just mind-boggling.

Unless they have some very impressive secret usage metrics of Remote Play on the PS3 and PS4, I don't get how anyone would think this is a great idea.

If it were to be able to connect to the PlayStation Plus app on computers ( formerly known as PlayStation Now ), I could somewhat see a point in the device. But as you said, with the proliferation of Phones and Tablets, who's out there looking for this product? Especially after they partnered up with one of those Phone Controller companies to have a PlayStation sticker printed on their product.

Maybe hackers are able to blow this thing open and give it some reason for existing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sales on PS5 were 80% digital last year, a trend increasing year over year. 90% on Xbox and rising. Basically 100% on pc for years now. Only Nintendo is still about 50/50.

Physical is going, the convenience of digital is winning out, no doubt accelerated by the pandemic. And the industry is no doubt taking notice. Remedy likely feels confident the potential loss in sales of only offering digital is offset by the greater profit margins/lesser costs. Expect to see more of this in the future, especially once this or another digital only game becomes a success.
I've taken notice, don't get me wrong, but it's still dumb not to have the option. Not everyone still has perfect Internet. I'm lucky to be in spots with great connections, but not everyone is so lucky. I know it's also screw over second-hand retailers like GameStop. Pat and Woolie talked about this in 2020 and 2021. They get it sucks, but if it screws over GameStop or any other game retailers that act exactly like the former, then so be it. That or the convenience of Amazon.

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Weird how I'm most excited for the MGS1 port coming in the Fall.

Also, Dragon's Dogma 2 which hopefully this time will actually be a finished game.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It says [RE4 Remake] VR Mode, so it'll be an update to the base game.
Earlier in the thread I noted that PS2 VR2 sounds very exciting and reasonably accessible but is unsupported so far by enough good games. Mostly tech demos. PC/Oculus? Ton of shovelware but among it, a dozen really good games. I hear RE4 VR is spectacular. Every review I've seen of it has been crazy positive telling you to buy and play it even if you already did so on PS2, Gamecube, PC. It was a new experience.

For the remake, which has also had crazy great reviews, to get this treatment sounds like a reason to eventually spring for this setup (PS5 + VR2= about $1,100: there are headsets such as Oculus Pro that cost much more than this). If it is a free add on for those that already have the remake? The most compelling reason I've heard so far to get a PS5.

I can never understand cloud gaming. I don't always want to be playing games. There are times when I want to stay away.
If I were just starting out, such offerings could be very tempting. For instance, Amazon has been trying to do this for ever, 10+ years. Formerly OnLive and today, Luna. Instant collections. Little need for expensive hardware. Certainly for OnLive, the technology? The technology wasn't there yet. I don't think we are there yet now. But they keep trying.

EDIT: OMG: Arizona Sunshine 2 !!!! AS is one of my favorite VR games played on Oculus 2, followed by After the Fall by the same company. Coming to PS5 VR but they'll likely have one for Oculus and PC. Problem for my O2 is that, they're going to have to dumb down the graphics. I'm talking like, 1/2 as good as the Witcher 3 on the Switch dumbed down. Another compelling reason to get the PS5 VR.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Earlier in the thread I noted that PS5 VR2 sounds very exciting and reasonably accessible but is unsupported so far by enough good games. Mostly tech demos. PC/Oculus? Ton of shovelware but among it, a dozen really good games. I hear RE4 VR is spectacular. Every review I've seen of it has been crazy positive telling you to buy and play it even if you already did so on PS2, Gamecube, PC. It was a new experience.

For the remake, which has also had crazy great reviews, to get this treatment sounds like a reason to eventually spring for this setup (PS5 + VR2= about $1,100: there are headsets such as Oculus Pro that cost much more than this). If it is a free add on for those that already have the remake? The most compelling reason I've heard so far to get a PS5.
That's the problem with PlayStation VR and VR in general. Shoot, that's a problem with the last PlayStation vr. Most of the games only provide us specific needs, and the majority of those were rail shooters anyway nothing against real shoes so many before it gets boring. Did you ever notice that the best VR games are Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 8, Resident Evil 4, and soon Resident Evil 4 Remake?

Reactions: gorfias

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Streaming via remote play? So not only do you need a PS5, you're limited to using it within wifi range i.e. basically within your home, which is where that PS5 already is, and which is something you could already do with any of the phones and/or tablets you already own. Seriously, what's the point?
iirc the PSvita could do the same and no one gave a shit.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That's the problem with PlayStation VR and VR in general. Shoot, that's a problem with the last PlayStation vr. Most of the games only provide us specific needs, and the majority of those were rail shooters anyway nothing against real shoes so many before it gets boring. Did you ever notice that the best VR games are Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 8, Resident Evil 4, and soon Resident Evil 4 Remake?
I'm sure some things like RTS will never be best played in VR. Not even played well.
Others can surprise. My nephew is big into a football game called NFL Pro Era which I'll have to try sometime. I think about the most popular VR game out there is Beat Saber.
It was real shit. And by the time I could do that (Vita streamed from PS4) (I think in theory, the PSP was supposed to be able to do the same thing for PS3? Maybe it was also PS3 for Vita.) I had the Wii U, that could actually work and play well. I tried Injustice G-ds Among Us streaming from PS4 to Vita and couldn't make out a dang thing. An 8" screen will help a lot, but why?

Reactions: meiam

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Truly, it's just mind-boggling.

Unless they have some very impressive secret usage metrics of Remote Play on the PS3 and PS4, I don't get how anyone would think this is a great idea.

If it were to be able to connect to the PlayStation Plus app on computers ( formerly known as PlayStation Now ), I could somewhat see a point in the device. But as you said, with the proliferation of Phones and Tablets, who's out there looking for this product? Especially after they partnered up with one of those Phone Controller companies to have a PlayStation sticker printed on their product.

Maybe hackers are able to blow this thing open and give it some reason for existing.
Ikr. Bet ya there won't be a Q for this.

Jokes aside, the only reason I can think of that would justify its existence, is if its really cheap. Cheaper than buying a cheap tablet and a decent grip. So it needs to be sub $200. That way it fills the rather niche of people who don't already own a device you can stream to and don't just want to buy a tablet and grip for the same functionality and then some. But, we're in the current age of Sony pricing, so watch this thing be $250-300.
And that didn't require dropping another 500 just to play games at all..

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
My only experience with Marathon are the videos on it by MandaloreGaming but nothing in those videos suggested that any of the strengths of the series came from multiplayer gameplay or ever WOULD be the kind of thing you go to a multiplayer game for. Its like making the next Ace Attorney game be a Turn Based Strategy game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I've taken notice, don't get me wrong, but it's still dumb not to have the option. Not everyone still has perfect Internet. I'm lucky to be in spots with great connections, but not everyone is so lucky. I know it's also screw over second-hand retailers like GameStop. Pat and Woolie talked about this in 2020 and 2021. They get it sucks, but if it screws over GameStop or any other game retailers that act exactly like the former, then so be it. That or the convenience of Amazon.
I empathize with the market shift, but can’t bring myself to feel sorry for places like GameStop specifically, where they’ll give you $2 to turn around and sell that same game back used for $20.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
(I think in theory, the PSP was supposed to be able to do the same thing for PS3? Maybe it was also PS3 for Vita.)
The PSP and PS3 could indeed hook up through Remote Play, although it was rather gimped as the PSP only had one analogue stick and no R2 or L2 buttons. Also, developers could opt out of supporting PSP Remote Play on the PS3, so you'd find games that just went; nope, sorry 🤷‍♂️

This was "fixed" with the Vita on PS4, but like you said... 🤷‍♂️

Obligatory Fuck You to Kojima for not including David in MGS5.

Good to hear that the original cast is going to come back for Delta, although I have little desire to play it personally.

Weird how I'm most excited for the MGS1 port coming in the Fall.
Wish they'd just release it seperately as a Classics title on PS4 / PS5.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think you just need wifi on both devices. So if you are at families house you can remote connect this device to your playstation at home and play remotely.

I can connect to my ps5 through my phone from anywhere via the remote play ap, so i dont see how this thing would be any different.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
My only experience with Marathon are the videos on it by MandaloreGaming but nothing in those videos suggested that any of the strengths of the series came from multiplayer gameplay or ever WOULD be the kind of thing you go to a multiplayer game for. Its like making the next Ace Attorney game be a Turn Based Strategy game.
Yeah, this new Marathon could have been a completely new IP, and I don't think it would have changed much.

As it stands, the franchise was laying dormant, and at least this way, it captures the attention of anyone who played Marathon back in the day.

Im just disappointed that this could have been a perfect way to return to Halo-style singleplayer FPS games for Bungie.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I think you just need wifi on both devices. So if you are at families house you can remote connect this device to your playstation at home and play remotely.

I can connect to my ps5 through my phone from anywhere via the remote play ap, so i dont see how this thing would be any different.
Then it's a less bad idea than I assumed, but still pretty bad depending on pricing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Original voice cast or original voice recording? Konami is either too lazy or smart enough to not fuck with the original performances (Not that they were amazing, but fans will likely not take too kindly to it. But then that's exactly what's happening with the Silent Hill 2 remake, so who knows.)
Wish they'd just release it seperately as a Classics title on PS4 / PS5.
Sure, but I'll take what I can get. Maybe they'll actually smooth out the screen quality this time, unlike the PS3 version.