What are you currently playing?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I confess I love that, in a game.
Usually an appreciated level of customisation, for sure. But if you haven't played before and got half an hour until sleep o clock to grab a quick taste of the cool looking game you just obtained, it can feel a bit like an unexpected interrogation, even for the realm of RPGs. Suffice to say I maybe missed a lot of sleep that night.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think the character creator is by far the best part of the pathfinder game, messing around with all the class combination and various race/perk and all of that is ton of fun for me. I think it took me over 10 hours to even start the game the first time because I was just constantly making character and trying weird combination (you can mess with your save file to get to max level right away so you can try the build).

Honestly I wish the game had more reason for you to use all kind of character so you could try some of the fun, but not optimal, build. I'd love a XCOM like version where you make multiple team and send them all over the map for various mission.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think the character creator is by far the best part of the pathfinder game, messing around with all the class combination and various race/perk and all of that is ton of fun for me. I think it took me over 10 hours to even start the game the first time because I was just constantly making character and trying weird combination (you can mess with your save file to get to max level right away so you can try the build).

Honestly I wish the game had more reason for you to use all kind of character so you could try some of the fun, but not optimal, build. I'd love a XCOM like version where you make multiple team and send them all over the map for various mission.
I know the Big dungeon DLC for KM is basically designed around this kind of thing and you can play it from the menu or from the main camapaign. I tried it from the main champaign and realized it's really just for build testing because the dungeon is just a series of rooms with mobs. I think the SA version from the menu is like a Rouge-lite/like.

But yeah, being able to send people out to do missions in the main game would be fun. I also agree that if you're the kind of person who loves character customizing and loads of options(either for the purpose of RP or just to do it), these games are there for you.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I'm playing Hidden Folks and I'm playing it way too much.

But pling beeh shriftishrifti gonk dingdong blah ptchi yeeh kwak and you can't really argue with that.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I think I have Stockholm Syndrome.

So after the 130 hours of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, I kept telling myself once credit rolled I was gonna play shorter games for a while. So what do I do? I download and fire up Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. However, it's a bit smoother then KM and it's clear Owlcat learned lessons from KM when making WOTR. A number of QoL improvements are evident right from the get go.

It also helps WOTR gets to the point really fast. After the still very long Character Creation screen(and there are MORE races and classes this time around), the game dumps you into a festival in a city called Kanabras, quickly introduces you to a number of important characters, establishes nobody really knows who you are but you have some nasty wound that nobody really knows how you got and then Demons just start attacking the city en masse. Luckily, you fall into a cavasse that just opened in the ground and thus escape getting horribly masscared with much of the rest of the city, You spend about 2-3 hours doing some low stakes combat, meeting some characters, getting a party together pretty quickly, and doing the starter dungeon. Then you make the surface again and get told "There's a big magic stone that was keeping the demons out like a magical deflector shield. For some reason it's not working and the big demon just picked it up and yeeted it into the fortress at the center of the city(which he shouldn't be able to do)" and that the city hasn't fallen....yet. So Act 1 is focused on retaking the city from the demons lest the demons spill out into the rest of the world, which would be very, very bad.

And then Act 2 rolls into "You saved the city from the demons. We're launching a new crusade to drive the demons back because the last 3 crusades were total failures and everyone sees you as a hero so fuck it, here's an army! Now go retake the fortress city we lost in the last crusade from the demons!" There's still side quests and companion quests but the main quests aren't separated by like 6 months of management downtime like in KM because You're on Crusade, *****! Sadly, the crusade mode is basically HOMM-lite, where you build army stacks and move them along the map to fight other armies in a very simple grid system that requires almost no tactics or strategy and most people advise either skipping or toning it down a lot because of how lackluster it is.

The most interesting thing WOTR has to offer is the mythic paths system. So right from the get go, it's established you don't seem to know who you are(when asked you can offer a number of explanations for your background and why you're here in the city, but they feel....artificial, for some reason) and you have a MYSTERIOUS WOUND that keeps opening and closing at plot convenient moments and seem to coincide with you getting choices to manifest great supernatural power and also causes you no pain. It's basically Fantasy Stigmata which probably means it's VERY IMPORTANT because God is doing it or something(it's unclear right now but no doubt some metaphysical fuckery is behind it).

So basically, at some point in the story you'll get the option to pick a Mythic Path, of which there are 10 and they're all over the spectrum on alignment and integration with the story. The two default ones are Angel and Demon, so basically gaining Good or Evil divine power respectively, but there's a bunch of others, including a Joke path called Trickster, which I've had it described to me as "Trickster isn't role playing a character, it's role playing a player who bullied the DM into letting you play with 20 loaded dice per roll". You do get contextual opportunities to try out the different powers before picking paths though, such as using an angels sword to inspire people or using trickster to suggest to some cultist that it would be hilarious if they rigged their own base with explosives.

So I'm basically in for the next 100 or so hours.
I played the hell out of this game. The console port was ass and had serious memory leak issues but beyond that I loved it. I went into the prestige mythic path of the golden dragon after starting out as the azata (went from chaotic good to neutral good), which makes you so OP it's ridonculous. And also you're literally a dragon from then on lol, you can legit be transformed all day every day and even change your portrait in your char sheet.

You're in for like 250 hours btw.

Oh and, right at the start, when the little halfling offered you either an invisibility scroll to escape with, or a crossbow to fight the big bad insect devil, did you pussy out? It has true ending implications. Not even kidding. This game is nuts. And on an unrelated note, you mayyyy wanna hold onto those midnight bolts for now.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Exoprimal (beta test weekend)

Its fun enough. This is very much EDF though, but at a full AAA price tag and while a server strain test with only one mission type (a 5v5 "Race to complete all the mission objectives" competitive one) isnt the full representation, its tough to say if it could merit that.

Also it spends a somewhat inordinate amount of time trying to establish actual lore behind why mech suits are fightihng hordes of dinosaurs. A concept that really should left to stand alone on its absurdity.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Ah, I see. And it's like Where's Waldo: The Game?
Pretty much. But with more fun (yet less colorful) waldos.

Really, very enjoyable graphic and audio style.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Been awhile since I posted, but okay:

FIRE EMBLEM HEROES

Completed Book 6. I'm going to start off with the usual story ranking, and at this time, it now goes 2>3>5>4>1. That said, because the nature of mobile games is to play in short increments, I really wish this was, well, not a mobile game. That's a pretty asinine train of logic, I know, but it would make certain things stick in my mind better. But anyway:

-God, I wish Reginn would stop crying. I'm not saying that she doesn't have reason to cry, I'm not saying characters should never cry, but damn it girl, pull yourself together.

-I like the idea behind Fafnir, and his backstory is actually quite tragic - pulled into Midgard from another world, which is standard practice for...well, most people in this setting, but was never returned home, and thus lost his mind and memory. I really doubt that the game will do this, but it does potentially put a darker light on the protagonists' actions up to this point, since as pointed out, they've been summoning heroes up to this point, what gives them the moral highground? Furthermore, the player character was summoned into Midgard at the start of the game from our world, how long until they start losing it? Again, I like the implications this potentially draws, I just doubt the game's going to do anything with them.

-So, I may be missing something, and I've browsed the FE wiki (which is terrible at covering character info), but Eitri's plan seems extraordinarily convoluted. So, basically, Nivodalir's royal family were killed in a coup, and she's been working all this time to get Reginn on the throne. To do this, she pretty much masterminds everything rather than telling Reginn outright "BTW, you're the rightful heir, now I'm going to help you, which will help my country, and it'll help everyone else on Zenith as well because you'll stop Fafnir's murder spree). I may have missed something, but as is, still seems convoluted. Also, at the end, the final video is her trying to claim some kind of moral equivalance with Kiran, and while that could be interesting per the ethics of summoning people into Midgard, I just don't see the game doing that.

-Anyway, I moved onto Book VI, and I don't want to say too much - whatever positive feelings I might have now, I doubt they'll last. Might comment on it later.

OVERWATCH 2

The only new thing I can really say at this point in time is pertaining to Questwatch. I'm going to divide this between "Good Idea, Bad Idea."

Good Idea: Making Questwatch an in-universe boardgame rather than Starwatch being its own setting. I'm not inherently opposed to alternate settings in this context, but by their nature, they can never have the depth of the core setting, and I didn't find anything in Starwatch that interesting anyway.

Bad Idea: I know this is making a mountain out of a molehill, but when's the game supposed to be taking place? Tracer, Emily, Reinhardt, Orisa, Kiriko, and Zenyatta are among the roleplayers, but at this point in the overall storyline, many of them have never met. I could assume that this takes place further ahead in the future than everything else we've seen so far, but that doesn't explain why Orisa has her OW1 appearance rather than her OW2 appearance, unless the former is still canonical to her. I know a lot of people just won't care, it's just frustrating.

Good Idea: Have season 5 have a narrative play out, even if it's just in the Questwatch context.

Bad Idea: Have the narrative be tied to the battle pass (presumably, there'll be no means of accessing it once the season is over, so if you don't play through it and/or find a way to record it, you're boned.

Random Idea: Anyone else getting Paladins vibes with Questwatch? Hero shooter in a fantasy setting? No? Anyone?

Anyway, yeah. Game's still good.

DIABLO IV

So I've started playing Diablo IV, though my computer's struggling to run it, and I've suffered no shortage of disconnects (though this seems to be due to my own router more than the game itself). Yay for always-online games I guess.

Anyway, these are extremely preliminary thoughts - as of this time of writing, I finally (FINALLY!) completed a dungeon, still in Act I, really just making my way through the world doing side quests rather than the main quest. I actually wondered how best to give my thoughts on the game thus far, but I've decided to simply do a stream of conciousness-type post, conveying thoughts chronologically. So on that note:

-Awesome intro cinematic is still awesome

-I don't really care about character creation that much, but the character creator's still robust, so that's neat.

-In terms of tone/setting, I'm going to cover all this in one go rather than little segments - this game is bleak. Like, really, REALLY bleak. There's nothing over the top, but without doubt, this is the grimmest Diablo game in the series. Not necessarily the most bloody or the most scary, but certainly the "bleakest." Everything I've seen so far in-game, everything from the very opening narration conveys the quintissential facts of life in Sanctuary that life sucks. It really, REALLY sucks. If you live in a town, congratulations, you get to endure grinding poverty, starvation, disease, corporal punishment, and a draconian church. You can pray to that church, but the church is run by an angel who doesn't give a shit about you. Yet even that's better than taking your chances outside the shithole you live in, as the numerous corpses of men and horses you find can attest to.

So, yes. Diablo IV is grimdark. And while that's a term that's been abused to the point of losing its meaning, by "grimdark" as I would define it, D4 meets the criteria. There's a miasma of despair that infuses absolutely everything, and it's often the little things that count. For instance, this is down to game mechanics more than anything else, but in Menestad, at night (in-game), I passed some people praying at a shrine. Even in the freezing cold, they're still exposing themselve to the chill in the vain hope that salvation will come, even if you (the player, if not the character necessarily) knows that it never will. That Inarius can't deliver what he's promising, and even if he could, it's unlikely he'd provide it.

-All that being said, there's a sense of disconnect between D4 and D3. In-universe, 50 years has passed between both games, which is the largest leap the series has ever had in in-universe chronology. From a Doylist perspective, I get why - I highly suspect that D4 is designed to be approachable to new players, and that includes its narrative, but if you ARE familiar with what came before, the game kind of leaves you in the cold in more ways than one. Of course, this is early days, but there's very little that links D4 to D3 (or anything that came before it) in an immediate sense sans Lorath. Most telling is that while veterans will know why the world of D4 is the way it is, series newbies don't. In a sense, this might fit the setting, because the majority of people in this era would have been born after Malthael's genocide, including the player character. To them, this is simply the world they were born into. Which is fine, sure, but I haven't seen a single reference thus far to the events of D3 or Reaper of Souls. There's no mention of Malthael and the Reapers, no tension between the fact that an angel is leading the Cathedral of Light, yet it was also an angel that wiped out 50-90% of humanity. Not that I expect many people to know the facts, but surely some hearsay would have reached them.

-Moving onto gameplay...ugh, skill trees. I detested the skill tree in D2, I detest it even more here. I know this is more a "me" thing, but the rune system in D3 allowed you to easily tailor your character to a playstyle you wanted, this is requiring you to lock-in decisions that may or may not pan out down the road.

-On the subject of combat, well, I'm playing on Veteran rather than Normal difficulty (what? The hints told me to, since I've played the other games), but that aside, the best way I can describe the combat is to think of the Diablo series up to this as a spectrum, with D1/D2 on one end (slow, methodical, single spell binding), with D3/DI on the other (fast, flashy, lots of abilities, cooldowns, killstreaks), and have D4 be somewhere in the middle. On one hand, combat is more 'meaty' than D3/DI. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't quite feel the same. Like, there's the sense of the character and monsters 'weighing' more. On the other hand, combat's still far more dynamic than D1/D2 - you can have multiple skills equipped at a time, there's a dodge function, the combat's far more dynamic than "click on things to make them die." I mean, that's what you're technically doing, but if you're not weaving in and out and using your abilities, you're gonna die. A lot. I mean, I did die a lot against a dungeon boss, but I wouldn't have succeeded at all if not for dodging projectiles and whatnot.

By extension, health is in this pseudo middle ground as well. D1 allowed you to potion spam to victory, D3/DI had health globes. D4 allows you to carry a single potion slot at a time that you can refill through picking up potions in combat, but health globes are gone. You might say this is a distinction without a difference, but it's not a 1:1 transposition of D3/DI. Overall, combat's pretty good - way better than D1/D2 (though that's a given), but whether it's better than D3/DI is something I'm more iffy on. But decent all the same.

-Back to story stuff for a bit. I mentioned I completed a dungeon, and while this has been a point of contention between me and other users on these forums before, the dearth of concrete lore is irritating. The dungeon (I think it was the Forgotten City?) is divided into three levels. First area has a journal (unlike D3, there isn't a journal codex that stores them, which sucks) that establishes that the Knights Penitent were there, then things attacked them from within the dungeon, killing them. After that, nothing. There's no lore on the history of the dungeon, or the creatures inside it, nip, nadda, zilch. Sure, I can make some inferences through various elements in the dungeon. For instance, I can guess that this was a nephalem city in the ancient past, and the final area is "Tomb of Bob" (forget its actual name), and you fight a boss called "Resurrected Malice" in said tomb as the dungeon's boss, so I'm guessing the boss is Bob, and he's been resurrected. However, again, this is all inference. The dungeon teases you with the lore behind it, then leaves everything else in the dark. As far as I'm concerned, this is a massive step back from D3/DI, which, in their areas, provided firm context for their dungeons/dungeon equivalents. Heck, even D1/D2 did, even if it's not a 1:1 comparison. I'm tempted to say that they just ran out of time, but I have to imagine that it was a concious decision, because all it would take to further flesh out the dungeon is a second journal entry. A third as well, preferably - one for each area.

Now, I'm going to throw some people a bone here. There's a certain type of person who likes ambiguity, a certain type of person who likes environmental storytelling. Had a debate here ages ago with someone that insisted Torchlight told a story through its world design. I certainly agree that you can infer lore from the environments in Torchlight as you head further down, but "inferring" something isn't the same thing as concrete lore. I can infer various things from an environment, but if it doesn't have a bedrock, does it really have a story behind it? I dunno, the Diablo fanbase has always had a streak of anti-storiness (is that a word?) in it that you can see in the design philosophies of D1/D2 (and why D3/DI are so different), but if D4 is an attempt to "return to form," then it's not a decision I welcome in this area. Roses are nice, but we need bread as well.

So, yeah, game is decent, but I'm wary of a lot of things - my computer's still suffering disconnects (this isn't just in D4, OW2 has the same problem, though not as regularly), and unless I get new NBN hardware, I doubt that'll be fixed anytime soon. Furthermore, as stated, my computer's specs are below what's recommended, and I've got a terrible feeling that they'll eventually become redundant (the PC I'm using cost around $2000, these things ain't cheap). But overall, yeah, game is fun. That said, I won't do a preliminary ranking as to where D4 fits in the series, because it's way too early for that. I can certainly rank the other games easily enough (D3>D2>D1>DI), but D4 is very much its own thing.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did another arcade run of The TakeOver. Nothing much to say this time, but I realize a lot of the enemies don't have too many attacks. I appreciate the variety of goons, but due to the sprite rendered CG, the developer took a lot of effort for all of these characters to animate correctly. It partially explains why the dev couldn't implement melee weapons more fluidly. Plus, he ran out of time and needed the game out by that point. The game is still a great brawler, but SOR4 is still king.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Beat the campaign in Titanfall 2, not sure what the story was about other then bad guys being bad and using some kinda time device called the arc to destroy the planet your from and that only shows up half way through. But the gameplay and set events are just awesome. Started playing the multi and its really cool, when it works, the servers are held together with tape and wrapping paper.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Finished Boltgun. Took all in all about 11 hours on Hard difficulty, which is honesly almost twice as long as I was expecting. So props on the team for actually making it a decent length.

Overall I really enjoyed myself. It's got some of the best FPS sound design I've heard since Doom Eternal, and the combat is fast and fun, and actually pretty challenging on Hard. Which is kind of unfortunate, because using the taunt button definitely adds to the experience. But you won't have time to do it much on Hard because you have to stay so focused. It does have a repetition problem though: you do find yourself traipsing through one dark military and industrial installation after another. The enemy variety isn't great, and the weapons just barely avoid becoming tedious.

This game manages to hit something of a sweet spot between Doom 2016's freeform combat, and Eternal's more rock paper scissors approach. You can dispose of the enemies in any way you like, but there are also clearly preferred methods for each enemy type. But unlike Eternal, it's not too restrictive, which goes a long way to retain variety. The final boss felt like a proper final boss battle for an FPS for once. You're not just shooting at a big block of HP until it dies, you have to deal with multiple phases with different threats, levels of elevation, scamper for resources and use the right tools at the right times.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Playing Spider-Man (2018) on my PC.

With my new hardware, im usually floating between 80 - 120FPS at 1440p max settings with raytracing enabled. An exceptional result, if I do say so myself.

Otherwise, I've completed this game about 4 or 5 times in the past on my PS4, so this game certainly isn't anything new to me, though this is the first time that I have played the Remastered version, with all of the fancy upgrades, including the new Peter Parker face model (I prefer the old one).

This also being the PC version, means mods! mods! mods!

There appears to be a few different types available, most interestingly new animation sets that mimic the swinging styles of Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield from their respective movies, but im mostly just interested in the new suits. Inexplicably, the suit from The Amazing Spider-Man 2 never made its way into the game, despite Tobey Maguire's suit, all of the MCU ones, and the one from TASM1 all making their appearances. Thankfully, the TASM2 suit has been faithfully recreated by the community, and this is by far my favourite Spider-Man costume (and it looks great in this game).

1687125285690.png
Untitled.jpg
20230618224643_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finished Boltgun. Took all in all about 11 hours on Hard difficulty, which is honesly almost twice as long as I was expecting. So props on the team for actually making it a decent length.

Overall I really enjoyed myself. It's got some of the best FPS sound design I've heard since Doom Eternal, and the combat is fast and fun, and actually pretty challenging on Hard. Which is kind of unfortunate, because using the taunt button definitely adds to the experience. But you won't have time to do it much on Hard because you have to stay so focused. It does have a repetition problem though: you do find yourself traipsing through one dark military and industrial installation after another. The enemy variety isn't great, and the weapons just barely avoid becoming tedious.

This game manages to hit something of a sweet spot between Doom 2016's freeform combat, and Eternal's more rock paper scissors approach. You can dispose of the enemies in any way you like, but there are also clearly preferred methods for each enemy type. But unlike Eternal, it's not too restrictive, which goes a long way to retain variety. The final boss felt like a proper final boss battle for an FPS for once. You're not just shooting at a big block of HP until it dies, you have to deal with multiple phases with different threats, levels of elevation, scamper for resources and use the right tools at the right times.
If you want some more FPS goodness check out Turbo Overkill, Ultrakill and Cultic.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Besides my ongoing Warframe and Dauntless (and occasional Minecraft), I popped back into Destiny to see whats gone in the last 3 years. With some minor intrigue as to the changes (but no desire to commit to as a second job or whatever). Still somewhat on the fence about actually buying (with ya know money) back into it. Though at least they have somewhat ditched the light treadmill to only the big expansions.

Anyhow, also found a moment to sift through my own backlist and all the not-E3 promotional stuff, and sort out my potential gaming acquisitions for the rest of the year or so

Definitely Planned: MH:Rise Sunbreak, Wild Hearts, Remnant 2, Wayfinders, Helldivers 2, Path of Exile 2(?)
Maybes : Armored Core 6, Destiny whatever, Atlas Fallen, Immortals of Aveum, Witchfire, Exoprimal, Towers of Aghasba, Sword of the Sea, Miasma Chronicles
Distant Possibilities : Star Wars Outlaws, FF16, Wrasslin game of some form. Lords of the Fallen, Mortal Kombat 1, Prince of Persia

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Star Wars Outlaws
Assassin's Creed Star Wars ? Could be interesting, I always complain about SW games being horribly linear (even the Bioware RPGs). But I wonder if Star Wars without the Jedi power fantasy would turn out frustrating.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
If you want some more FPS goodness check out Turbo Overkill, Ultrakill and Cultic.
I haven't played Turbo Overkill or Cultic, but I can second Ultrakill.

OT: Dug around in my Steam library for something I bought but never played before and ended up settling on Deathsmiles, a Cave shmup that originally came out on the Xbox 360 not long after its arcade release. I basically haven't played any Cave games before other than Mushihimesama one time, so this is a bit of a new experience; the ability to shoot both right and left is a pretty interesting base gimmick too.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I haven't played Turbo Overkill or Cultic, but I can second Ultrakill.

OT: Dug around in my Steam library for something I bought but never played before and ended up settling on Deathsmiles, a Cave shmup that originally came out on the Xbox 360 not long after its arcade release. I basically haven't played any Cave games before other than Mushihimesama one time, so this is a bit of a new experience; the ability to shoot both right and left is a pretty interesting base gimmick too.
If you decide you want some other shooters check out. Zero Ranger, Sterendenn, and Andro Dunos II.