Game Articles and Videos Thread

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
*Parries you* *Parries you* *Parries you* *Parries you*...

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
*Parries you* *Parries you* *Parries you* *Parries you*...

Seems like she really hung in the air longer than usual for Waterfowl too. It’s funny watching her be parry/riposted to death though like she’s completely amateur level.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
IMG_2965.jpeg

But for serious though: the best way to get through a slow burn opening or to get to a paradigm shift in the narrative is to keep people engaged anyway, and a very real and reasonable risk is to not have that happen.

Like, as yet another example of a Final Fantasy game taking ages to get good, FFXIV's A Realm Reborn story is, at best, a bit of a slog. And that's coming from somebody who didn't mind it that much. And that's it's modern incarnation: it used to take longer.

The problem is, it *needs* to set up certain information so that the future story actually, y'know, *burns*, but that information is the sloggiest part, so they ended up cutting a lot of individual character building, contemplative moments, non-main-story world building, and cool-down jokey bits. I am, personally, not certain they made the right call, but they successfully pared down the content by dozens of hours, so...trade offs.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
View attachment 9135

But for serious though: the best way to get through a slow burn opening or to get to a paradigm shift in the narrative is to keep people engaged anyway, and a very real and reasonable risk is to not have that happen.

Like, as yet another example of a Final Fantasy game taking ages to get good, FFXIV's A Realm Reborn story is, at best, a bit of a slog. And that's coming from somebody who didn't mind it that much. And that's it's modern incarnation: it used to take longer.

The problem is, it *needs* to set up certain information so that the future story actually, y'know, *burns*, but that information is the sloggiest part, so they ended up cutting a lot of individual character building, contemplative moments, non-main-story world building, and cool-down jokey bits. I am, personally, not certain they made the right call, but they successfully pared down the content by dozens of hours, so...trade offs.
Was paradigm shift used on purpose as a reference to FF13 or is that just a coincidence?

Anyway, I think MMORPG are inherently unable to tell good story, or at least the kind of story usually told in game, where your character is the chosen one and fight against the BBG. Which is why I just play them by mashing skip, makes them far more enjoyable. Another example is warframe, it has an excellent main gameplay, but the dev keep saddling it with awful sad content and to justify their existence they force the player to do quest trough them to unlock a bunch of stuff. It suck so much that player are willing to use currency you buy with real money to get other people to carry them trough some of it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Was paradigm shift used on purpose as a reference to FF13 or is that just a coincidence?
Coincidence, I've never played 13
Anyway, I think MMORPG are inherently unable to tell good story, or at least the kind of story usually told in game, where your character is the chosen one and fight against the BBG. Which is why I just play them by mashing skip, makes them far more enjoyable. Another example is warframe, it has an excellent main gameplay, but the dev keep saddling it with awful sad content and to justify their existence they force the player to do quest trough them to unlock a bunch of stuff. It suck so much that player are willing to use currency you buy with real money to get other people to carry them trough some of it.
I'd say FFXIV handles it better than most, lampshading party size requirements with funny dialogue and casting MMO gameplay elements as explicit powers your character has. It also doesn't pretend that *everybody* is a legendary hero, everybody else is just your adventuring buddies who happen to be eccentric enough to always be around. I'd say it's a neat gimmick, but I also broke through the slow-burn into the payoff parts of the story, so there might be some motivated reasoning there.

The free trial goes though a lot of the slogiest parts and ends on the Heavensward expansion and the Draginsong war, both of which I liked quite a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: meiam

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Yeah, it's bad enough ads were all over the front page but now we're getting adds in the middle of the videos too, because I guess they were uncontaminated for way too long.
This was why switching to YouTube only was a fucking mistake. Now we are going to suffer through mid video ads since Escapist chose to drink the corporate internet Kool aid

Reactions: Dalisclock
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I appreciate Kojima for what he’s brought to the industry. His games are still some of my favorites, and his penchant for attention to detail and creativity typically helps set them apart. But yeah, it’s bad when even he himself is kinda put off by how much this doc appears to be sucking him off here.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Remember that one Extra Punctuation vid where Yahtzee was talking about how realistic graphics are just distracting us from doing more interesting things with video games?

Enter Battlebit.

I will say that it's a little embarrassing to see Battlefield YouTubers suck the digital dong of this game, I think this is such a great story. The devs sound like such wholesome dudes, and the fact that they adjusted the price after the game started becoming popular to be LOWER is fucking sweet. Not sure yet if I'll pick this one up, but I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's an actual soulless remake. XIII Remake did get improvements and updates, but still can't hold a candle to the original version. They should have just bothered with a remaster putting effort into the title, and move on. The sorry state it was in at launch is inexcusable.