Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Understandable that opinions change, but still not a fan, Dunkey. Congrats on the baby, Dunkey and Leaha!

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That doesn't really make sense to me. By that logic, Pokemon is more popular, so why bother with Xenoblade? Or Fire Emblem? Mario is more popular, so why even do Kirby?

Tho the comment about it costing a fortune, and knowing F-Zero was never a heavy hitter, makes me think they don't think it would turn a profit. I'm also thinking that with Imamura retired, there is no one influential at Nintendo to champion the franchise anymore. Of course, neither "it's not worth making" or "no one important cares" are things they would ever publicly state.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Tho the comment about it costing a fortune, and knowing F-Zero was never a heavy hitter, makes me think they don't think it would turn a profit. I'm also thinking that with Imamura retired, there is no one influential at Nintendo to champion the franchise anymore. Of course, neither "it's not worth making" or "no one important cares" are things they would ever publicly state.
At the end of the day, Nintendo are just lazy shit heads who don't want to do a new F-Zero game. It's another case of "can't/won't make all the money in the world", and them gas lighting the audience and themselves. Miyamoto has also stated in the past (specifically during the Wii and Wii U era) that the series needed to "innovate" in order to justify a new title. You wanna innovate? How about some online multiplayer and do a 100 racer battle royale? That innovative enough for you?

Seriously Nintendo, fuck off. You know it's bad when Sega at least tries and out sources their less popular franchises to developers that want to make them. The closest we can even get to F-Zero are Fast RMX (which is 6 years old now) and the Redout games (which take more from Wipeout any way).

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, we have to admit that these numbers aren't encouraging. Sure, they're also 20 years old, but there also isn't a racer like F-Zero that's even approached the mainstream either. Maybe a strong showing on the expansion pass can save it, but I'm not holding my breath

20230706_053504.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, we have to admit that these numbers aren't encouraging. Sure, they're also 20 years old, but there also isn't a racer like F-Zero that's even approached the mainstream either. Maybe a strong showing on the expansion pass can save it, but I'm not holding my breath

View attachment 9150
I get it to an extent, but that still does not excuse for the lack of trying. If the Streets of Rage 4 can sell above and beyond expectations, and sell more copies than the original trilogy, then FZ can do the same. Either don't go overboard on the budget, or just sell the game at a cheaper price. Nintendo wouldn't lose much money anyway. They have more than enough money to make an F-Zero game five times over.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

View attachment 9150
Where did you get that table?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Where did you get that table?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

View attachment 9150
0.005, like 5 thousands units sold? Even if its was japan only that's shockingly low, I can't blame them for not making another one after that...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
At the end of the day, Nintendo are just lazy shit heads who don't want to do a new F-Zero game. It's another case of "can't/won't make all the money in the world", and them gas lighting the audience and themselves. Miyamoto has also stated in the past (specifically during the Wii and Wii U era) that the series needed to "innovate" in order to justify a new title. You wanna innovate? How about some online multiplayer and do a 100 racer battle royale? That innovative enough for you?

Seriously Nintendo, fuck off. You know it's bad when Sega at least tries and out sources their less popular franchises to developers that want to make them. The closest we can even get to F-Zero are Fast RMX (which is 6 years old now) and the Redout games (which take more from Wipeout any way).
Nintendo isn't lazy, they're just really fucking stubborn. It's been that way for a long time. This goes back all the way to the N64, when developers heard about what this console was going to be and told Nintendo 'guess what, there's this invention called CD and making games on it is not only cheaper but more spacious as well', to which Nintendo replied 'ah yes, cartridges it is'.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nintendo isn't lazy, they're just really fucking stubborn. It's been that way for a long time. This goes back all the way to the N64, when developers heard about what this console was going to be and told Nintendo 'guess what, there's this invention called CD and making games on it is not only cheaper but more spacious as well', to which Nintendo replied 'ah yes, cartridges it is'.
They're stubbornness is a form of laziness! The fact that took them to get that along with the times and switch the cd, says something! It's just laziness in another form. At the end of the day, they just don't want to do it for some pathetic reason, or don't want to bother to commit, because they're not going to make all the money in the world. I remember Nintendo Fanboys giving me grief back in the mid to late 2000s, saying that they were sooner being F-zero sequel then a Streets of Rage sequel. Who's laughing now?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Random thought/observation: the franchises Nintendo makes that are set in a sci-fi setting (Star-Fox, F-Zero, Metroid) are not their heavy hitters, sales-wise.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Random thought/observation: the franchises Nintendo makes that are set in a sci-fi setting (Star-Fox, F-Zero, Metroid) are not their heavy hitters, sales-wise.
Dread actually sold well. Star Fox Zero sucked and had forced motion controls and that stupid tablet. Even though Nintendo didn't make Fast RMX, they still let it on their console. The announcer from the N64 and GameCube F-Zero games show up.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dread actually sold well. Star Fox Zero sucked and had forced motion controls and that stupid tablet. Even though Nintendo didn't make Fast RMX, they still let it on their console. The announcer from the N64 and GameCube F-Zero games show up.

Unfortunately, two things can be true at once. Metroid Dread sold more than twice as well as most other Metroid games, just excepting the original and Prime, and it only sold a tiny fraction of that in Japan.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
They are more likely just averse to change. Like, across the board. After reading about how independent a five or six year old already is over there and why it’s still safe for them to ride a subway or walk to the grocery store vs here in the good ol’ US of A it’s understandable as to why that might be. However the business side of things could really use an adjustment or two.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Unfortunately, two things can be true at once. Metroid Dread sold more than twice as well as most other Metroid games, just excepting the original and Prime, and it only sold a tiny fraction of that in Japan.
I already know this. Metroid does better in the West than it does Japan anyway. Nintendo should just take it as a silver lining. We already all know that gaming is nowhere as big as it used to be in japan. So when it's in no should do is be happy they got sales that big, and just focus on their Western market when it comes to Metroid or certain other IPs of theirs. It's no different from Capcom, and they're more than happy to appeal to the Western market.

Last edited: