Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So recently Pixar's Elemental was dubbed as The Good Dinosaur 2.0, the current example of how the studio lost its way, yet when I caught a glimpse of the audience score on this thing it seems to be doing quite well. Very well as a matter of fact. And I'm wondering why this movie isn't garnering the same level of defense from the usual channels as the Super Mario Bros. Movie did, where its audience score was used as proof of its quality and how the critics are out of touch. Now obviously Elemental was a box office dud and Mario a massive hit, but that wasn't the criticism leveled toward it - it was how Pixar lost its touch and how they're failing to capture the audience.

I haven't seen Elemental nor do I have much interest in seeing it (same for the Mario movie), but I do wonder, were review/animation channels too eager to jump on the chance of calling out Pixar's failure?

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
So recently Pixar's Elemental was dubbed as The Good Dinosaur 2.0, the current example of how the studio lost its way, yet when I caught a glimpse of the audience score on this thing it seems to be doing quite well. Very well as a matter of fact. And I'm wondering why this movie isn't garnering the same level of defense from the usual channels as the Super Mario Bros. Movie did, where its audience score was used as proof of its quality and how the critics are out of touch. Now obviously Elemental was a box office dud and Mario a massive hit, but that wasn't the criticism leveled toward it - it was how Pixar lost its touch and how they're failing to capture the audience.

I haven't seen Elemental nor do I have much interest in seeing it (same for the Mario movie), but I do wonder, were review/animation channels too eager to jump on the chance of calling out Pixar's failure?
Pretty much, I think. Mario had a built-in fanbase, whereas Elemental...did not.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Nimona 2023
The chase scene is like the ones you have in Rick and Morty. An unpredictable character who knows they are getting away with everything without a scratch rampages through places that supposedly have a function and actually matter to other unimportant people over there, but y'know it was all in the way.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The chase scene is like the ones you have in Rick and Morty. An unpredictable character who knows they are getting away with everything without a scratch rampages through places that supposedly have a function and actually matter to other unimportant people over there, but y'know it was all in the way.
It's an old action trope that just went in crescendo since starsky and hutch were driving through cardboard boxes.

Sometimes, one of batman's employees gets squished, but otherwise it's no problem.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

If The Good Dinosaur - which I agree is crap - and Elemental - which I have not seen yet - are indeed Pixar's biggest failures, then that's two duds out of twenty seven. And that's a pretty fuckin' good hit rate by any measure as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do wonder, were review/animation channels too eager to jump on the chance of calling out Pixar's failure?
Pretty much, I think. Mario had a built-in fanbase, whereas Elemental...did not.
If The Good Dinosaur - which I agree is crap - and Elemental - which I have not seen yet - are indeed Pixar's biggest failures, then that's two duds out of twenty seven. And that's a pretty fuckin' good hit rate by any measure as far as I'm concerned.
I've said it before, and I will say it again: Most of these channels couldn't review nor analyze their own assholes properly! A majority of them are glorified gossipers, grifters, click-baiters, or know-nothing-assholes with nothing better to do with their lives, by pretending to be smart and think they're "beating the system". I learned to ignore them early on back in the early 2010s for a good reason.

Reactions: thebobmaster

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On a whim i found myself at the movies to watch Jennifer Lawrence's new raunchy comedy No Hard Feelings. It was a decent movie though not very funny. Some jokes are okay and others dont quite land. But overall it was an enjoyable enough movie to watch. I didnt expect full frontal nudity from Jennifer so that was shocking in probably one of the funniest scenes in the film.

Maybe stream it if you have a service that its available on or wait for it to appear there. Or if you wanna snag a simple not too long matinee.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just watched Asteroid City, my first Wes Anderson movie. My overall impression of it is: well made movie, did exactly what it was trying to do, just wasn't my type of movie. I could appreciate what it was doing, but I can't say I really enjoyed it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just watched Asteroid City, my first Wes Anderson movie. My overall impression of it is: well made movie, did exactly what it was trying to do, just wasn't my type of movie. I could appreciate what it was doing, but I can't say I really enjoyed it.
Can't say I've enjoyed a Wes Anderson movie for a while now. As he progressed as a director his movies lost their humanity in pursuit of his diorama-esque style. Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are still great, but starting with The Life Aquatic the cold mechanism of his filmmaking already starts to overtake the warmth and humanity of the acting performances.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Depends on what we consider a failure. Commercially yes. Other more recent Pixar films, but by no means all of them, have done incredibly well in that regard. Incredibles 2, Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 are all in the top 10 highest grossing animated films of all time. But if we're talking in terms of the standard of quality Pixar established in the 2000s, the overwhelming impression to me is that they've been struggling to hit the high notes of Wall-E, Up or Finding Nemo for over a decade. Right after Toy Story 3 there were Cars 2, Brave, and Monsters University, all of which got a resoundingly mediocre response. Inside Out was widely lauded, but what came after? The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, and Cars 3, none of which were considered masterpieces. After that there's plenty of duds:
  • Onward, which no one remembers even being a Pixar movie and didn't even make its budget back
  • Soul, which was well received, but released straight to streaming
  • Lightyear was a full on flop, barely making back its $200 million budget
  • Luca only grossed 49 million, which is shockingly low for a Pixar film (though again, released on streaming)
  • Elemental, obviously, but IMO it's a bit too early to tell for that one

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Depends on what we consider a failure. Commercially yes. Other more recent Pixar films, but by no means all of them, have done incredibly well in that regard. Incredibles 2, Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 are all in the top 10 highest grossing animated films of all time. But if we're talking in terms of the standard of quality Pixar established in the 2000s, the overwhelming impression to me is that they've been struggling to hit the high notes of Wall-E, Up or Finding Nemo for over a decade. Right after Toy Story 3 there were Cars 2, Brave, and Monsters University, all of which got a resoundingly mediocre response. Inside Out was widely lauded, but what came after? The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, and Cars 3, none of which were considered masterpieces. After that there's plenty of duds:
  • Onward, which no one remembers even being a Pixar movie and didn't even make its budget back
  • Soul, which was well received, but released straight to streaming
  • Lightyear was a full on flop, barely making back its $200 million budget
  • Luca only grossed 49 million, which is shockingly low for a Pixar film (though again, released on streaming)
  • Elemental, obviously, but IMO it's a bit too early to tell for that one
Okay, fine. Pixar are dead in the water now.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Man, I keep forgetting all these pixar movies exist. I wish Disney would take a step back ask "why" each of these movies is being made. It used to be that Pixar movies were a special event and each had something to say, but I can't recall the last one that had that special punch. I think Lightyear really turned me off on Pixar. Watching their movies just feels like a chore now.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Man, I keep forgetting all these pixar movies exist. I wish Disney would take a step back ask "why" each of these movies is being made. It used to be that Pixar movies were a special event and each had something to say, but I can't recall the last one that had that special punch. I think Lightyear really turned me off on Pixar. Watching their movies just feels like a chore now.
Who’s holding a gun to your head to watch them?

Reactions: Xprimentyl