General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's like they resent the franchise that their studio was founded to create.
Probably because it wasnt their idea. They were given the franchise after bungie left. So if they were in the middle of another original IP or whatever and MS axed it to force Halo on them, then sure i could see resentment there

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Even Bungie wanted to dip on Halo (I think they put out one per contract after that became known and then took off for Destiny).

If the actual creators thought it was past done and time to dip, then yeah, the guys getting the hand me downs probably don't have much passion for it either.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
New persona 3 reload trailer from anime expo. Loving to see that all the original VAs from like 2006 are back in this!

Akihiko's voice being Midorikawa is still blowing me away all those years later haha. And Mitsuru sounds absolutely nothing like Neptune still, you can hear her a bit in Purple Heart but Neptune not at all.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Well, since I will have access to BG3 before Starfield I will be able to experience just how much the full game will offer, but from what I've seen so far on the early access and thanks to devs always communicating with the fan base it's currently looking to be more enjoyable than Starfield. Quantity-focused games always seem to fall flat on their asses (i.e. AC Odyssey and Valhalla), and these days I'd rather finish a short good games then to be dragged on by a long crappy story

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

Well, since I will have access to BG3 before Starfield I will be able to experience just how much the full game will offer, but from what I've seen so far on the early access and thanks to devs always communicating with the fan base it's currently looking to be more enjoyable than Starfield. Quantity-focused games always seem to fall flat on their asses (i.e. AC Odyssey and Valhalla), and these days I'd rather finish a short good games then to be dragged on by a long crappy story
BG3 is an established IP going off of DnD lore and mechanics but with a fully turn based combat system and is being released on all the systems and not on the one nobody has and pc, I think it's normal to have it do better than space fallout (didn't that other game did that already, the one that had one joke about capitalism that it told over and over in a 40 hour span) or whatever Starfield is.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

It's still weird to me that BG3 is a game that is coming out this year considering i've been able to play it since 2019 or whenever the early access pre-order thing went live. I did download it on my new computer and I want to play it now that it's done, but like do I just start playing it now or wait a couple more weeks for the final patch and then play it? I dunno how much is reasonably going to change between then and now so I guess I could start it, especially if it's long as fuck.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
It's still weird to me that BG3 is a game that is coming out this year considering i've been able to play it since 2019 or whenever the early access pre-order thing went live. I did download it on my new computer and I want to play it now that it's done, but like do I just start playing it now or wait a couple more weeks for the final patch and then play it? I dunno how much is reasonably going to change between then and now so I guess I could start it, especially if it's long as fuck.
Is early access the full game but just cut short, or is it missing things like jobs and quests and gear? I'm playing on ps5 so I'll wait regardless (especially since Trails into Reverie hits in 2 days!) but I figure if it was out in 2019 it would be VASTLY inferior in all areas than the 2023 release.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Quantity-focused games always seem to fall flat on their asses (i.e. AC Odyssey and Valhalla), and these days I'd rather finish a short good games then to be dragged on by a long crappy story

Glad I learned that lesson early in gaming. It's a reason why I never gravitated towards to overly long games in my teenage years.

Last call.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Is early access the full game but just cut short, or is it missing things like jobs and quests and gear? I'm playing on ps5 so I'll wait regardless (especially since Trails into Reverie hits in 2 days!) but I figure if it was out in 2019 it would be VASTLY inferior in all areas than the 2023 release.
BG3 early-access was and still is in Act 1, but they added more areas, more classes, balancing works, and tons of bug fixes since then. Honestly, I'd wait a few more weeks because the save you make from them won't be compatible to the full game. All the stuff available right now only seems to be a fraction of what's available at launch.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
it's the full game. But it wasn't the full game when I bought it because they only had like 1 chapter finished or something. There was a lot of updates to the game since I got it. New character classes, more story, more shit, better graphics, new spells, all kinds of shit. But my purchase entitles me to the full game, it's like a VERY long pre-order.
BG3 early-access was and still is in Act 1, but they added more areas, more classes, balancing works, and tons of bug fixes since then. Honestly, I'd wait a few more weeks because the save you make from them won't be compatible to the full game. All the stuff available right now only seems to be a fraction of what's available at launch.
Wait it's only act 1? Are you sure about that, because I got newsletters back in the day where new acts where added and whatever.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
it's the full game. But it wasn't the full game when I bought it because they only had like 1 chapter finished or something. There was a lot of updates to the game since I got it. New character classes, more story, more shit, better graphics, new spells, all kinds of shit. But my purchase entitles me to the full game, it's like a VERY long pre-order.

Wait it's only act 1? Are you sure about that, because I got newsletters back in the day where new acts where added and whatever.
Maybe they just added things to the first act so it's still act 1 but it's just bigger now. Like I guess the ending point is roughly the same but more stuff transpires in the middle.

Either way, early access is baffling to me. I have full games to play in my backlog so I'll just wait for the full release to properly play the game and do it justice. I can see it if it's like a fighting game or something cause you only play 1 char so if you have your character in the early access you're good but not in an rpg where the meat of the game is all the depth and variety.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe they just added things to the first act so it's still act 1 but it's just bigger now. Like I guess the ending point is roughly the same but more stuff transpires in the middle.

Either way, early access is baffling to me. I have full games to play in my backlog so I'll just wait for the full release to properly play the game and do it justice. I can see it if it's like a fighting game or something cause you only play 1 char so if you have your character in the early access you're good but not in an rpg where the meat of the game is all the depth and variety.
I bought it when I was in full hype DnD mode. But then dropped it when I realized that it was dramatically unfinished and hard to play still. But I knew I would want it one day so i just kept the pre-order thing and figured I'd get it eventually.

Oh look eventually is almost here.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I bought it when I was in full hype DnD mode. But then dropped it when I realized that it was dramatically unfinished and hard to play still. But I knew I would want it one day so i just kept the pre-order thing and figured I'd get it eventually.

Oh look eventually is almost here.
I had that mode back when they released those bg1-2 remakes on ps4, then playing pathfinder wotr which is basically dnd in all but name, fun times. Pathfinder especially I really enjoyed. BG1 I played a bunch but then something else came up and I never got back to it. I did get to a point of grasping how to properly play though. But I'd be lying if I said I don't vastly prefer the divinity folks making 3 play more like divinity than the old BG games. Action with pause never did it for me cause I'd overpause too much.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I had that mode back when they released those bg1-2 remakes on ps4, then playing pathfinder which is basically dnd in all but name, fun times. Pathfinder especially I really enjoyed. BG1 I played a bunch but then something else came up and I never got back to it. I did get to a point of grasping how to properly play though. But I'd be lying if I said I don't vastly prefer the divinity folks making 3 play more like divinity than the old BG games. Action with pause never did it for me cause I'd overpause too much.
So I bought the BG1+2 remasters on PS4 and holy fuck. There is playing retro games and then there is playing that fucking shit. My damn brain exploded trying to figure out how to move my character, I done walked out of the town and died to a wolf.

I do wanna play them one day for real, but I wouldn't do it without a walkthrough because my brain can no longer compute that shit no mo.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So I bought the BG1+2 remasters on PS4 and holy fuck. There is playing retro games and then there is playing that fucking shit. My damn brain exploded trying to figure out how to move my character, I done walked out of the town and died to a wolf.

I do wanna play them one day for real, but I wouldn't do it without a walkthrough because my brain can no longer compute that shit no mo.
The DnD 2.0 system the BG game used is kinda crappy and seemingly confusing on purpose. But at the same time, they aren't made for video game, so there's tons of cheap exploit in the game that make the entire game a complete breeze.

Honestly, they're not that worth playing, they were special back then because large scale RPG weren't very common, the only other choice was ultima which has its own share of problem around that time.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@Dreiko So I just read the early Access FAQ and I was wrong. My early access version is only act1 which they claim is 25-35 hours long (holy fuck). However once the full game launches I get that automatically. Additionally early access saves will not be usable on the full game (which means there is no reason to play it now rip).