Funny events in anti-woke world

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Gotta be honest, it sounds like the Dutch didn't need the Prime Minister and will be better for it.... eventually and hopefully

Edit: I come from a country where we had 5 Prime Minister in 5 years or something like that. So I might be a little blase about it
We spent about a third of the previous decade with no elected government at all. The country just sort of trucked along as usual despite our politicians insistence on wasting everyone's time. The Dutch always seemed to me like they have their shit together better than us, so I'm sure they can manage.
Plus had one disappear, never to be seen again.
Whut?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Almost everyone is either uninformed, selfish, or a liar about housing policy. Also, my advice only applies to America. So if you are in Australia for example do your homework on this. We shouldn't build less housing than demand or match the demand for housing. We shouldn't just build houses, or only build luxury houses, or even just build lower-cost housing.

We should as a society(In only the US)aim for building MORE houses than demand.

Now why is that? Am I in the pocket of developers, am a far-lefty person, am I a neoliberal shill???

NO. I am not either of those things, and those people are all wrong.

Think for a moment about living in the US. You live in one of the most resource-rich, large, habitable, and economically dynamic countries in the world if not the number one in most of those categories. Hundreds of millions of people likely want to move here. There is no such thing as too little housing. Don't meet the present demand for housing, meet the future demand for housing.

But of course, I am mostly talking to a brick wall. The people in both cities and suburbs want high housing prices because of muh retirement. Leftists want only people in their city to live there to exclude everyone else who is new, some just want to exclude the rich. Rich people want to move to cities for jobs and don't care about building more houses for lower-income new arrivals. Neoliberals want both but aren't willing to meet the demand for housing in the future so their developer friends can get rich.

Here's an idea let the developers do whatever they want, and the policymakers can overshoot demand by building more houses on top of that by X% based on a formula of projected population growth by climate change for example, or a multiple of factors.

But what if we build another Detroit Michigan or Gary Indiana? Well, do your homework then. Project how many jobs you can have in the future based on X, Y, and Z. Don't build more houses in places like Miami, you moron where there are hurricanes every summer. Build more houses in environmentally sound, and economically sound places. (Like the US)

And if the worst-case scenario where they are unfilled. Give it for free like Japan does, give it to someone who fled civil war, the refugee crisis, the overpopulated Asian metro area, or literally anyone who wants it as their primary home.

But Gergar12 that's economically unwise. No one looks at housing like we do for food. No one ever says the food prices or water prices are too low except sociopaths but on housing we accept it. There is a reason the US grows a shit ton of food overshooting is the best policy, and has been proven to be the best policy(except HFCS of course, but the government is mostly responsible for this via bad chemicals, food, and medical policies)

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
But what if we build another Detroit Michigan or Gary Indiana? Well, do your homework then. Project how many jobs you can have in the future based on X, Y, and Z. Don't build more houses in places like Miami, you moron where there are hurricanes every summer. Build more houses in environmentally sound, and economically sound places.
To a large extent, the market can and should dictate where houses are built - i.e. the places where people want to move to. Cities should rise and fall with the economic need for population in that area, and I think the government is really going to struggle to project which parts of the country are growth areas beyond the short term. Whilst I share your view that Miami might not be the best place for homes in some ways, overall I'd suggest that if it's a growth area, use it. If people then need to move out in 10, 20, 30 years time, it's something housebuilding of the future can deal with.

In general, I agree that there are a host of issues with government (local and national) and oversight of housing and population nimbyism.

If the government wants houses built in areas with otherwise relatively low demand, the best way to tackle that would be to invest in building up the economies of those areas. The housing industry can then look after the rest as people start wanting to move in.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The most likely candidate is probably the Farmers party which means an outgrowth of ruthless, polluting and selfish agricultural corporations might end up ruling the Netherlands.
I mean, weren't they already in a sense? The reason we're in this shit that we are now is because the government let itself be swayed by agricultural corporations and lobbyists.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Gotta be honest, it sounds like the Dutch didn't need the Prime Minister and will be better for it.... eventually and hopefully
The VVD are the Dutch mainstream right, albeit more liberal than most countries' mainstream right (and in fact primarily identify as liberal rather than conservative, although as per continental European tradition, that's more classical liberal than social liberal).

Hades is right to be concerned what replaces them. The left is nowhere in Dutch politics and hasn't been for years. It's a battle between the liberal right and the populist right. The current frontrunners are the BBB, which were founded as a sort of conservative-agrarian party, but which a lot of the Dutch far right have moved to from Geert Wilder's PVV. In the absence of any meaningful left, I'd prefer the VVD.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
All the events in that article are like one long train wreck. Jesus. I do find it funny that those that always instantly sided with Swift when it came to her relationship troubles, are now flipping the script. I don't know of all of her relationships, but this show how certain people aren't true fans and they just jump on any bandwagon. She still made her choices regardless. Sucks to be her.
Eh, I don't have a problem with that, you could say that they've reassessed how they think of her due to new information coming to light.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, I don't have a problem with that, you could say that they've reassessed how they think of her due to new information coming to light.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for her, but it's still something I don't like when it comes to public perception or people claiming loudly to be "fans/supporters", but instantly turn against them, and act as if they were never fans to begin with. If you admit that you were a fan at one point, that's fine, but don't go acting like you're better than everybody else or trying to pretend you never liked said person or celebrity in the first place. I do despise the fair weather fan or bandwagon jumping fan. While some are genuine reevaluating, others are just jumping on trends like they normally do, or acting as if they "matured". A lot of time these reassessments are information they either already knew, and ignored or downplayed only to finally say something when the bubble finally bursts.

There were various celebrities or musicians I liked at the time, but grew to dislike later for different reasons. I was never afraid to admit when I had at, one point or another, liked a celebrity only to dislike them later for a particular reason or several reasons.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for her, but it's still something I don't like when it comes to public perception or people claiming loudly to be "fans/supporters", but instantly turn an active so if they were never fans to begin with. If you admit that you were a fan at one point, that's fine, but don't go acting like you're better than everybody else or trying to pretend you never liked said person or celebrity in the first place. I do despise the fair weather fan or bandwagon jumping fan. While some are genuine reevaluating, elders are just jumping on trends like they normally do, or acting as if they "matured". A lot of time these reassessments are information they either already knew, and ignored or downplayed only to finally say something when the bubble finally bursts.

There were various celebrities or musicians I liked at the time, but grew to dislike later for different reasons. I was never afraid to admit when I had at, one point or another, liked a celebrity only to dislike them later for a particular reason or several reasons.
Ah, ok, fair enough.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Granted this is a few years back, but I just found it and read the article and I don't think we made fun of it, so lets do some retro-mocking!

https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-news-host-rages-against-plant-based-beer-2021-4

'cause you know, real Americans be drinking that...meat based beer?
Real men drink mead, which is made from honey.

Actually, you could probably extract sugar from animal products (that they'd get from plants, ultimately, I think), and make alcohol from that. Give it a few years and the GOP will claim Democrats are making it from the blood of Christian children.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Actually, you could probably extract sugar from animal products (that they'd get from plants, ultimately, I think), and make alcohol from that. Give it a few years and the GOP will claim Democrats are making it from the blood of Christian children.
Oh that's been part of this for centuries. Except instead of Democrats, it's Jews. A huge accusation during Nazi era Germany was we have to protect the children from the Jews, because Jews drink Christian blood and use it in profane rituals.

Again, sound familiar? Won't someone please think of the children and the Jews grooming them for ritual sacrifice.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh that's been part of this for centuries. Except instead of Democrats, it's Jews. A huge accusation during Nazi era Germany was we have to protect the children from the Jews, because Jews drink Christian blood and use it in profane rituals.

Again, sound familiar? Won't someone please think of the children and the Jews grooming them for ritual sacrifice.
Oh yeah, that had occurred to me, though I didn't know that particular piece of anti-semitic nonsense was still around that late, thought that had fallen out of fashion by then. Then again, adrenalchrome is supposed to be a big scary thing nowdays.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I got into mead and drank it frequently years ago. I still usually get a bottle or two a year. It's nice, but it simply does not have the variety and range of beer or wine. Often, the honey sweetness can be oppressive to other flavours: it's often seems kind of crude and boring in comparison. Although that might partly because it's not a popular drink, so much less time and effort has gone into exploring the possibilities of what can be done with it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

Bees hate this one simple trick...

Animal products in brewing can be a bit iffy because of the fermentation process being yeasty and contamination always being a major concern. When I used to brew there was always someone who wanted to make something absurd like sausage beer but was inevitably shut down because people like their innards not being outards.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I got into mead and drank it frequently years ago. I still usually get a bottle or two a year. It's nice, but it simply does not have the variety and range of beer or wine. Often, the honey sweetness can be oppressive to other flavours: it's often seems kind of crude and boring in comparison. Although that might partly because it's not a popular drink, so much less time and effort has gone into exploring the possibilities of what can be done with it.
I once got pissed at a party and made a very respectable alcoholic milk shake with spiced mead and banana liquor - one and two measures respectively - added to the ice cream and milk. So that’s something you can do with mead.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The inevitable can occasionally be something other than existential horror at least.

While the scuffles may be verbal as leading Republicans jostle to become the party’s 2024 presidential nominee, down at the state level things have actually turned physical — at least in Michigan, and not for the first time.

Tensions boiled over within the Michigan Republican Party on Saturday resulting in an altercation at a hotel to which the police were called.

The GOP’s state committee came together for a meeting at the Doherty Hotel in Clare as members have been feuding over the party’s direction and the leadership approach of the new chairwoman, Kristina Karamo, The Detroit News reports.

Some Michigan Republicans arriving at the venue on Saturday were frustrated to find the meeting was limited only to members of the state committee and was taking place behind a locked door.

In an interview with The Detroit News, James Chapman, a Republican from Wayne County, said he had travelled to Clare for the meeting but was forced to listen to it through a locked door.

Mr Chapman said he and others said the Pledge of Allegiance together in the lobby outside the meeting, after which he jiggled the doorknob of the meeting room.

It was then that Mark DeYoung, chairman of the Clare County Republican Party, approached the door, saw someone flip him off through a small window, and opened it.

“He kicked me in my balls as soon as I opened the door,” Mr DeYoung said, adding that Mr Chapman ran at him and slammed him into a chair.

Mr DeYoung gave his account to the outlet over the phone from an emergency room where he said he was being treated for a broken rib.

For his part, Mr Chapman alleges that Mr DeYoung had swung at him and said: “I’ll kick your ass.” Mr DeYoung denies this happened.

Continuing, Mr Chapman says he removed his glasses, took Mr DeYoung by the legs and knocked him down: “When you see me taking my glasses off, I’m ready to rock.”

Multiple police officers were at the scene after the scuffle and Mr DeYoung said he intended to press charges against Mr Chapman.

“We’re so divided,” Mr DeYoung said from the hospital. “I just wish we could come together.”

This is also not the first time internal tensions have erupted. The Washington Post reported in June: “At least four county parties in Michigan have been at open war with themselves, with members suing one another or putting forward competing slates that claim to be in charge. The night before an April state party meeting, two GOP officials got into a physical altercation in a hotel bar over an attempt to expel members.”

Other tension stems from criticism of Ms Karamo, who became the chairwoman in February, for not providing more information about fundraising and spending. The Post also reported that she has struggled to raise money and abandoned the party’s longtime headquarters.

Ms Karamo had recently removed Matt Johnson, the budget committee chairman, citing “dereliction of duty and several other grievances”.

Mr Johnson had said spending was “so far out of proportion with income as to put us on the path to bankruptcy”.

The Michigan Republican Party was trounced in the 2022 midterms — Ms Karamo lost a run for secretary of state in November by 14 percentage points to her Democrat rival — and has found itself out of power in the state legislature for the first time in four decades.

The Democratic Party also controls the state Senate and Governor Gretchen Whitmer comfortably won reelection by 11 points in November 2022.

Continuing internal struggles will likely make it even harder for a Republican candidate to take the state in 2024’s presidential election.

Reactions: Kwak and BrawlMan

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Tsk tsk where are your guns when you need them.