Funny events in anti-woke world

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I've heard, and you won't like this, is Deadpool 3 is 100% MCU. Remember in Deadpool 2 he goes around at the end killing alternate Ryans from bad movies, like the one from Green Lantern or the weird Deadpool from Wolverine?
Yeah apparently that triggers an investigation by the TVA into Deadpool's time/space shenanigans, and the movie involves Morbius recruiting Deadpool to fight in some universe where Magneto has taken over the world as a result of Deadpool's shenanigans, and wibbly wobbly space magic happens, and Deadpool gets stranded in the MCU at the end.
I've heard rumors and hearsay, but I hope it's not true. I won't freak out, but at least have Deadpool join the MCU during the after credits, or in the 4th installment or a spin-off. I'll wait until the actual trailers and then judge. I am still seeing the movie any way, because there's a good reason why I didn't watch any of his other films these past 3 years. I did not want to suffer from fatigue and burnout. Glad I stuck to that decision.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I've heard rumors and hearsay, but I hope it's not true. I won't freak out, but at least have Deadpool join the MCU during the after credits, or in the 4th installment or a spin-off. I'll wait until the actual trailers and then judge. I am still seeing the movie any way, because there's a good reason why I didn't watch any of his other films these past 3 years. I did not want to suffer from fatigue and burnout. Glad I stuck to that decision.
Just imagine, Deadpool's entire MCU appearance is him going MST3K on the post-credits scenes of MCU movies. "Oh and now we're setting up for Galactus? Because that didn't work out so well for the not-so-Fantastic Four!"

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
"It's okay guys, you can totally get insurance for non-likely things that won't actually effect you, and for the stuff that does we'll just pray to jesus and cross our fingers. And climate change and any attempts to politically address it is woke nonsense."

“I think what’s going to happen is because we did those reforms, it now is more economical for companies to come in. I think they’re going to wait through this hurricane season and then I think they’re going to be willing to deploy more capital to Florida,” DeSantis said Wednesday during an appearance on the Howie Carr Show.

“So, knock on wood, we won’t have a big storm this summer. Then I think you’re going to start to see companies see an advantage,” DeSantis added.
The Governor’s comments came in the wake of Farmers Insurance’s decision to discontinue its policies in the state, after seven insurer insolvencies in the last year.
In an attempt to boost the reinsurance market during his world tour this spring, he met with British reinsurance companies, and “secured a commitment from companies in attendance to increase access for carriers serving Florida policyholders,” according to a media release from the Governor’s Office.

Requests for more details on that “commitment” went unaddressed from the Governor’s Office.

Meanwhile...

1689313585472.png

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"It's okay guys, you can totally get insurance for non-likely things that won't actually effect you, and for the stuff that does we'll just pray to jesus and cross our fingers. And climate change and any attempts to politically address it is woke nonsense."

“I think what’s going to happen is because we did those reforms, it now is more economical for companies to come in. I think they’re going to wait through this hurricane season and then I think they’re going to be willing to deploy more capital to Florida,” DeSantis said Wednesday during an appearance on the Howie Carr Show.

“So, knock on wood, we won’t have a big storm this summer. Then I think you’re going to start to see companies see an advantage,” DeSantis added.
The Governor’s comments came in the wake of Farmers Insurance’s decision to discontinue its policies in the state, after seven insurer insolvencies in the last year.
In an attempt to boost the reinsurance market during his world tour this spring, he met with British reinsurance companies, and “secured a commitment from companies in attendance to increase access for carriers serving Florida policyholders,” according to a media release from the Governor’s Office.

Requests for more details on that “commitment” went unaddressed from the Governor’s Office.
Those 'commited' companies are gonna charge up the wazoo, then bail the moment shit hits the fan, aren't they? Leaving Floridians high and dry (or rather, the opposite)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Remember when weirdos said that Disney was buying tickets to the "woke" MCU movies to artificially inflate the box office?

Anyway
I'm just going to point out that this is tradition. A church will buy all the tickets and encourage their congregation to come. It's not necessarily nefarious, it's meant to a community thing

What is nefarious is thinking A) Everyone else acts and thinks like them B) Using this assumption to target minorities

It's classic conservatives - thinking that everyone is the same as them and targeting those that arent

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'm just going to point out that this is tradition. A church will buy all the tickets and encourage their congregation to come. It's not necessarily nefarious, it's meant to a community thing
Theoretically, sure. But that supposes that the community, you know, goes, de facto renting out the theatre.

They're making up weird conspiracy theories about why the theatres are sold out but nobody's there

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Also Gwen is trans? Or at least that's what all my trans friends say, and I dunno, that wasn't really in the text of the movie. Reminds me of people thinking Velma is some sex goddess, despite never showing that in any of the Scooby Doo shows. Wishful thinking and fanfic fodder.
Gwen's entire text is pretty much trans. Whether she herself is a trans character is almost redundant, because her entire backstory (as it's shown in Across) screams it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Wishful thinking and fanfic fodder.
Yes for the latter. However, in blockbuster movies aimed to reach as wide an audience as possible it's not wishful thinking that they include diversity stuff. I haven't seen the movie so I can't say if there is a queer coming of age story inside, but some progressive themes are no doubt sprinkled here and there. Woke liberals are a demographic that wants content too.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Gwen's entire text is pretty much trans. Whether she herself is a trans character is almost redundant, because her entire backstory (as it's shown in Across) screams it.
Is it? Is it any more than literally anyone with a secret? Isn't that the whole point of telling a secret? Coming out and saying you have a secret?
Like I've seen the movie twice, the second time looking for the trans text. Its not there. She wears pink and blue, sure, but the trans community don't own those colors. Her world turns pink and blue, sure, but the animators have even come out and said that wasn't trans inclusive, her world is basically her mood ring and blue meant cold and distant, and pink meant warm and at home.
She has the trans lives matter flag, and that's actual text. But again, all it means is she supports trans people, not that she is one. Of course the movie doesn't say she isn't trans, but that's hardly what I'd call "entire text"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is it? Is it any more than literally anyone with a secret? Isn't that the whole point of telling a secret? Coming out and saying you have a secret?
Like I've seen the movie twice, the second time looking for the trans text. Its not there. She wears pink and blue, sure, but the trans community don't own those colors. Her world turns pink and blue, sure, but the animators have even come out and said that wasn't trans inclusive, her world is basically her mood ring and blue meant cold and distant, and pink meant warm and at home.
She has the trans lives matter flag, and that's actual text. But again, all it means is she supports trans people, not that she is one. Of course the movie doesn't say she isn't trans, but that's hardly what I'd call "entire text"
I don't disagree with you, but something you should know.

• Rainbow Lens: Gwen's sideplot, in which her father disowns her for coming out as Spider-Woman, followed by him reconciling with her when he realizes to accept his daughter for who she is, resonates with many trans viewers who can relate to particularly rocky coming-outs. Her bedroom has a sign reading "protect trans kids" and the scene in which George Stacy accepts his daughter is lit with the colors of the trans flag. Part of her arc also revolves around rejecting the binary options of Miguel's rhetoric.

Reactions: SilentPony

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean I get it. That makes total sense, and far be it for me to say this story can't resonate with with the trans community. But why her specifically? The whole concept of "with great power comes great responsibility" is portrayed throughout all of spider man culture as Peter, or whomever has dawned the mantle, trying to balance their personal life with the spider life, and the worrying they have that their friends and loved ones won't accept them as a super hero. We saw that in Homecoming and Civil War with Tom Holland's Spiderman worried about what his aunt would do if she found out. We saw that with the PS4 Spiderman game, with the same character worrying what the other same character would think. We saw that in the Miles Morales DLC game. We see that with Miles in the Spiderverse movies.
The struggle for acceptance and understanding is the core of the Spiderman character. And if the trans community identify with that, sure, good, great. But that's not a trans unique struggle. Its kinda' a universal human condition.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean I get it. That makes total sense, and far be it for me to say this story can't resonate with with the trans community. But why her specifically?
I guess they really love attaching themselves to her and something clicked. Regardless if it "makes sense" or not. A projection, if you will. This type of phenomenon ain't new, every generation go through some type of way: race, sex, religion, etc.

But that's not a trans unique struggle. Its kinda' a universal human condition.
Many (not all obviously) in the trans community are young, or are naïve in certain aspects of human behavior or culture. At some point they will learn.

Reactions: SilentPony

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Theoretically, sure. But that supposes that the community, you know, goes, de facto renting out the theatre.

They're making up weird conspiracy theories about why the theatres are sold out but nobody's there
It's generally two different conservative groups. One is fine and doing a 'nice' thing and someone is abusing that nice thing to troll everyone. Youtube conservatives are different from normal ones

I'm not disagreeing with you, just making sure that your aimed at the right conservatives

I'd also note that I listened to some viewers who were saying that 'they' are trying cancel the movie because the air conditioning wasn't on. Which is nonsense. Someone just forgot to turn the AC on and would easily fixed if you just talk to an employee instead of posting on Tiktok. These conservatives are also doing a bad

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
@SilentPony if you agree the story works both ways, and the plot points resonate, why is it so important to you that she's NOT trans, but merely an ally?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Different people from different lots of life will resonate with different things in movies. You can't say the trans community is just jumping at shadows and seeing things that aren't there, and I'm not talking about the colours or the flag, that's honestly secondary. Though I will say that there's a higher likelihood of someone with that flag being trans, or being close to someone who is trans, than being cis. The whole secret indentity has for a while now been somewhat viewed through an LGBTQ+ lense; hiding a side of yourself that is undeniably you, but that you can't expose to the public without fear of negative judgement or even persecution. Kevin Conroy even had a whole comic about it, I think.

I didn't even notice the flag on my viewing - blink and you'll miss it 'n all - it was Gwen being forced to come out to her father who she was that made it ring like a gong. She's terrified in opening herself up to her father, her family, he rejects her and even threatens to arrest her, and she completely distraught runs away from home. There have been other 'look, I'm a super hero' reveal scenes, but none that I can recall that are framed in this particular manner. With this kind of betrayal from a person that you thought loved and accepted you. You also have a scene with Miles saying to his mother "I thought if you knew you wouldn't love me the same way". Now you can argue this can apply to something else in the real world, but it's undeniable what community this could 100% be applied to. It could function equally as Gwen coming out as gay, but with the current climate toward trans people in the U.S., with some states literally wanting to outlaw it, this is how it resonated with me the most.

Again, there's not nothing there, there very much is. We don't have the trans community making claims that Tom Cruise in Topgun: Maverick or Vin Diesel in the Fast and the Furious movies is trans after all - it's not a case of 'oh trans people will see anything as trans'. Gwen is probably not actually trans herself, but her story resonates more than enough with that community that to them she might as well be. And it is the closest thing they get to actual representation - actually feeling seen - in mainstream movies.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I guess they really love attaching themselves to her and something clicked. Regardless if it "makes sense" or not. A projection, if you will. This type of phenomenon ain't new, every generation go through some type of way: race, sex, religion, etc.
Yeah. It's the appeal of being in on a secret. Do few LGBT-motifs mean anything beyond a nod toward current trends? No, but they could. Look at it from a certain pov and it could change everything. More in the next Film Theory video.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
@SilentPony if you agree the story works both ways, and the plot points resonate, why is it so important to you that she's NOT trans, but merely an ally?
Speaking for Pony here, so they can tell me to get lost if I'm offbase...

It's not that it's important Gwen isn't trans. It's more about separating "canon" from "fanon".

If Gwen was canon trans, that would be just as fine as her being canon cis. And as far as fanon, people are always free to make Gwen trans or cis however they feel. Trans people identifying with her and her struggles is great, but it's weird when people claim that Gwen is canonically trans due to their fanon.

Let me try putting it another way:

History has had a fucking awful habit of claiming female "roommates" or male "platonic" love for various figures to erase LGBT. However, we shouldn't just reflexively claim all figures in those situations were LGBT. Many (most?) of them were LGBT, but some were honestly just roommates or close friends. We should look at the available evidence for each figure and make the best estimate (even if that estimate is "could be either way") until proven otherwise. People are free to believe otherwise or even identify with their situations, but it would be incorrect to factually state that "fanon" against the evidence.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
History has had a fucking awful habit of claiming female "roommates" or male "platonic" love for various figures to erase LGBT. However, we shouldn't just reflexively claim all figures in those situations were LGBT. Many (most?) of them were LGBT, but some were honestly just roommates or close friends. We should look at the available evidence for each figure and make the best estimate (even if that estimate is "could be either way") until proven otherwise. People are free to believe otherwise or even identify with their situations, but it would be incorrect to factually state that "fanon" against the evidence.
I mean, sure, but that doesn't stop hordes of people from saying the equivalent of "well you can't prove they were gay, so that means they're straight" when they don't have evidence for that either

There is as much factual, objective evidence for transgender Gwen as there is for cisgender Gwen, the latter just has societal inertia. Which isn't evidence

Reactions: Avnger and BrawlMan