Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Then why did most countries not do what the US did?
Because the US response was terrible, and not something to be emulated.

Why did Sweden do the best in all of Europe with no basically no covid restrictions, no mask mandates.
That's highly arguable-- Sweden had a notably low mortality rate at times, but also some quite sizeable failures, particularly in the first wave.

Sweden was quite well placed to respond to the pandemic owing to a pre-existing strong healthcare sector, a lower population than a lot of its peers, helpful geography, and high community compliance. Scandinavian countries in general share these features, and several of the others did better, at least at the start.

You have no idea what scientific consensus is. Scientific consensus on masks and lockdowns before covid was that they didn't work and there's been no evidence showing they have worked so how'd scientific consensus change on those things without any evidence?

Provide the proof and I'll shut-up about it. Nobody has provided the proof because it doesn't exist.
You have been given evidence over and over and over and over again. Each time you've found a single minor limitation (of the kind every study has), or just simply misread the paper or misrepresented the conclusions, and then dismissed it in its entirety. Then a few pages later gone back to claiming "ZERO EVIDENCE HAS EVER BEEN GIVEN", with a straight face as if anybody is taking that seriously.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
How about the fact that it is basically threatening violence on anyone who has a problem with cops, and was filmed at the actual site of a real-life lynching?

Show me an American court house where there hasn't been a lynching.

Old West History will tell you chances are at some point even if it wasn't a slave / former slave / descendent of a slave some-one was lynched outside a courthouse.

Also it's specific that if you cuss out a cop then spit in his face (spitting in a persons face counts as common assault BTW).

So yeh people can respond to that, unless you're advocating for spitting in peoples face to be fine and people shouldn't be allowed to actually respond to something that not only is counted as assault but it's fucking gross and cowardly because it's people who if they thought they could get away with more would be trying to attack that person.

God I miss when country had cops as the antagonists. If you aren't a very specific slice of US demographics, rural cops are not your friend, but Mr Private School Suburban Cowboy up there couldn't know that. Fucker grew up in a city bigger than any city Montana even has and tries to be authentic to small town life? Get real.

Say it's not racist all you want, but trawl through the comments on social media defending it and you can see the message got through loud and clear. Bog standard "get uppity around *us* and we'll shoot you, stay in your burned down cities"
Yes, I'm pretty sure people would prefer those who started burning down cities to have to deal with living there now rather than trying to move their bullshit to small towns because they've run out of shit to burn down or ruin in their big towns.

What was the phrase, "Start shit get hit?"

The vast, vast majority of protests were entirely peaceful, and the ones that weren't tended to be peaceful until cops showed up in riot armor and started attacking protestors and journalists

Then this dink comes out with a music video saying that cops do know wrong and we'll kill you if you protest otherwise
Ah yes the media who said about those mostly peaceful fires and smashed windows etc lol. Oh and the mostly peaceful shootings and stabbings.

Damn those cops attacking journalists

and protestors

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yes, I think massive protests around grotesque police brutality are warranted, and that if the cops respond to those protests by attacking journalists, kettling protesters, and shooting people in the face with "rubber" bullets, causing several people to lose eyes, I don't really care if people start fighting back

I wouldn't be okay with conservatives doing the same to make 10 year olds carry their rapist's babies to term or eliminating gay people from public life or whatever the fuck a "conservative protest" would be about.

I realize that "good things are good and bad things are bad" is what you define postmodernism to be, but it's the reality of the situation

Damn those police shooting people with rubber bullets when they should have just stood there and let themselves have their head peacefully smashed in by hammers.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Good to know that spitting on cops (which I'm actually not sure happens all that often) warrants vague violent threats. And yeah, I totally don't see how lines like
"Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road"

Can be seen as inciting violence/vigilante murder. Which...you know, is what lynching IS. Racism is definitely a big part of lynching history, but the official definition of lynching is "(of a mob) kill (someone), especially by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial."

You are either intentionally trying to play Devil's advocate for a song that really doesn't deserve it, or you actively think that anyone who doesn't act in the "right way" in a conservative town deserves to be threatened. Either way, I don't think we'll be seeing eye to eye on this, so I bid you good day.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Good to know that spitting on cops (which I'm actually not sure happens all that often) warrants vague violent threats.
Well, we're praising a song which message is : "treat my flag badly and i'll kill you with my grandpa's gun". So...

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Today in woke world.

The attempt to say how George Orwell is a bad person to undermine his work and by extension try to undermine those value his work and use it as examples of how censorship could be bad

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Good to know that spitting on cops (which I'm actually not sure happens all that often) warrants vague violent threats. And yeah, I totally don't see how lines like
"Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road"

Can be seen as inciting violence/vigilante murder. Which...you know, is what lynching IS. Racism is definitely a big part of lynching history, but the official definition of lynching is "(of a mob) kill (someone), especially by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial."

You are either intentionally trying to play Devil's advocate for a song that really doesn't deserve it, or you actively think that anyone who doesn't act in the "right way" in a conservative town deserves to be threatened. Either way, I don't think we'll be seeing eye to eye on this, so I bid you good day.
I'm sorry are you really saying people should be free to sucker punch people, hold up liquor stores and car jack people with impunity?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Maybe don't set fire to other peoples property if you don't want them to act to stop you?
Oh yes sure. It's a matter of who paid for that piece of cloth. Nothing to do with taliban-level capital punishment for disrespecting symbols.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm sorry are you really saying people should be free to sucker punch people, hold up liquor stores and car jack people with impunity?
No, I'm saying that people who break the law should be arrested, not be subject to vigilante justice. I'm sorry that you don't see the difference. Good day.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, I'm saying that people who break the law should be arrested, not be subject to vigilante justice. I'm sorry that you don't see the difference. Good day.
So you're pro police now?

So not pro communities policing themselves?

You know that actual argument against the police that was put forward before

Cue Curb your Enthusiasm music

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Last thing I'm going to say, just to make sure my position is 100% clear. I'm pro-police doing their job proportionately. I'm anti-cop abuse, which happens way too often. I'm VERY anti vigilantism, which is what you call "communities policing themselves", because communities tend to ignore minor details like "proof" or "evidence". I don't think police should be attacked for being police. I don't think minorities should be subject to the whims of cops who abuse them, nor am I in favor of cops who defend their own when they do so.

And I fucking HATE the idea that the only way to settle anything is violently, on either side. Yet it seems to be only the one side that fully supports violence, as long as it is their people doing it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

"The left is growing in anger and violence is inching up: While violent events to date have been overwhelmingly concentrated on the right, early evidence suggests that they rose for the left in 2020 and that partisans on the left are growing increasingly angry. The most recent December 2021 poll by Lilliana Mason and Nathan Kalmoe found increased justifications of violence from the left: 21% of Democrats (and 16% of Republicans) thought punching members of the other party was justified, while 13% of Democrats (and 9% of Republicans) justified killing at least some members of the other party. This emotion is not yet appearing in many actual incidents, which global research suggests would require that potential perpetrators feel a greater sense of impunity from prosecution. But these numbers indicate ominous trends were left-wing leaders to encourage violence, given the well-established effects on followers’ actions."

Oh noes...

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Kinda wild that the wheel is the sticking point here
It really is kind of the tip-off about authors trying to insert real-world issues and real-world solutions, without running it through the filter of the logic and internal setting of the universe for which they're writing, isn't it?

Let's get to that in a minute.
Oh, we will.

Are these realistically available within the resources of the average low level PC?
Literally my next paragraph, the one you didn't quote:

Yours Truly said:
"But magic is RAAARE!" bullshit. We're discussing adventurers, who even at level 1 are wealthier and have more access to magic and magical items than any commoner in a given setting. Half that shit I mentioned is, in D&D 5e, readily available in tier 1 (levels 1-4) play. D&D 5e is the edition in which magical items are least common and hardest to acquire, and even under 5e circumstances is this shit available from the earliest adventurer levels.
So we were saying about radical, bad faith assumptions? Weren't we supposed to be "getting to that"? Or was "getting to that" brazenly doubling down immediately after getting called out the first and second times?

So please, indeed, "get to that". But since I'm certain you'll try to weasel around this,

Prosthetic Limb, common wondrous item. Source: TCoE. Typical purchase price: 100gp. By Xanathar's rules, can be crafted for half that price by a level 1 adventurer proficient in artisan's tools relevant to the materials worked with. Easily purchased with starting adventurer gold.

Broom of Flying, uncommon wondrous item. Source: PHB. Typical purchase price: 400gp. By Xanathar's rules, can be crafted for half that price by a tier 1 adventurer, with woodworker's tools and components from a CR 4-8 creature. Easily acquired at tier 1, i.e. levels 1-4.

Armorer subclass for artificer. Arcane Armor ability restores full functionality to a PC while wearing their armor. Unlocked at level 3.

Battle Smith subclass for artificer. Steel Defender ability can be used as a mount. Unlocked at level 3.

Beast Master subclass for ranger. Animal companion can be used as a mount. Unlocked at level 3.

Drakewarden subclass for ranger. Drake companion can be used as a mount, starting at level 7.

Of course, mobility-enhancing spells that would restore mobility to a disabled character: levitate, spider climb, tenser's floating disk, catapult, unseen servant (for tiny and small characters), bigby's hand, fly, alter self, phantom steed. Every single one of those spells is 2nd or below, with the exception of fly (3rd), phantom steed (3rd), and bigby's hand (5th). Meaning, with the exception of those two spells, they're all capable of being used at 3rd level. Important spells of note are tenser's disk, unseen servant, and phantom steed, which are all rituals and can therefore be active indefinitely.

That's everything I could name literally of the top of my head, without books at hand. There's more, believe me there's more. If I can do it, so can an author with presumptive access to the entire 5e D&D library. Assuming it's not just down to virtue signaling, which it is.

Attachments

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It really is kind of the tip-off about authors trying to insert real-world issues and real-world solutions, without running it through the filter of the logic and internal setting of the universe for which they're writing, isn't it?

Oh, we will.

Literally my next paragraph, the one you didn't quote:

So we were saying about radical, bad faith assumptions? Weren't we supposed to be "getting to that"? Or was "getting to that" brazenly doubling down immediately after getting called out the first and second times?

So please, indeed, "get to that". But since I'm certain you'll try to weasel around this,

Prosthetic Limb, common wondrous item. Source: TCoE. Typical purchase price: 100gp. By Xanathar's rules, can be crafted for half that price by a level 1 adventurer proficient in artisan's tools relevant to the materials worked with. Easily purchased with starting adventurer gold.

Broom of Flying, uncommon wondrous item. Source: PHB. Typical purchase price: 400gp. By Xanathar's rules, can be crafted for half that price by a tier 1 adventurer, with woodworker's tools and components from a CR 4-8 creature. Easily acquired at tier 1, i.e. levels 1-4.

Armorer subclass for artificer. Arcane Armor ability restores full functionality to a PC while wearing their armor. Unlocked at level 3.

Battle Smith subclass for artificer. Steel Defender ability can be used as a mount. Unlocked at level 3.

Beast Master subclass for ranger. Animal companion can be used as a mount. Unlocked at level 3.

Drakewarden subclass for ranger. Drake companion can be used as a mount, starting at level 7.

Of course, mobility-enhancing spells that would restore mobility to a disabled character: levitate, spider climb, tenser's floating disk, catapult, unseen servant (for tiny and small characters), bigby's hand, fly, alter self, phantom steed. Every single one of those spells is 2nd or below, with the exception of fly (3rd), phantom steed (3rd), and bigby's hand (5th). Meaning, with the exception of those two spells, they're all capable of being used at 3rd level. Important spells of note are tenser's disk, unseen servant, and phantom steed, which are all rituals and can therefore be active indefinitely.

That's everything I could name literally of the top of my head, without books at hand. There's more, believe me there's more. If I can do it, so can an author with presumptive access to the entire 5e D&D library. Assuming it's not just down to virtue signaling, which it is.
Man, some people like wheels, relax my dude. Also, like, *what* universe, specifically? What setting is that book in? And why is it so fucking egregious? It's like you think it's Dark Souls difficulty options or something

Plus, like, lotta disabled people don't like when magical solutions show up to make them Not Disabled Anymore. Not every, before you bring up a story about somebody who does as a gotcha, but like...it's a thing.

EDIT: Love that we get to have this conversation again

Last edited:
Reactions: Ag3ma

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
See, if you asked me to design a dungeon with ramps, I'm far too juvenile for that. The first room would have two paths down, you'd see one staircase down filled with obvious flamethrowers, spike pits, needle shooters, and probably a ghoul rubbing his hands together in the darkness looking up at you. The second path would be a clean and well maintained "handicapable" ramp down. The party takes that down, rounds a corner, and an open room with a bunch of kobolds with clubs, do nothing but make called shots to the players legs for using the wrong path until they make it the right path for them.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Isn't that sort of thing par for the course? I mean, half of every paranormal (especially YA) series has decided that crossbows are the ranged weapon of choice, seemingly forgetting that guns and other weapons exist. That doesn't seem a million miles away.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Damn those police shooting people with rubber bullets when they should have just stood there and let themselves have their head peacefully smashed in by hammers.

I'm sorry, is that justification for permanently maiming unrelated people for no goddamned reason?

What's it gonna take, the cops shooting a guy with his hands up 57 times?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix