Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Frederick Douglas[sic].
As luck would have it, Frederick Douglass already is covered in the curriculum (SS.68.AA.2.8), whereas the subject under discussion (SS.68.AA.2.3) is under the description "Examine the various duties and trades performed by slaves (e.g., agricultural work, painting, carpentry, tailoring, domestic service, blacksmithing, transportation).".

I read up on Frederick Douglass' Wikipedia article. Apparently he learnt how to read despite his slaveholder's wishes, arguing that that might make him want to be free. If his duties did not require him to read it does not fall under the heading of duties performed in slavery, so he would not be an example.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So, first off, a response from the panel that's trying to sell the line about slaves:
IMG_3013.jpeg

Sounds reasonable enough. Now let's view those robust standards for ourselves

IMG_3014.jpeg

Hmm, I think I see a few problems with those robust academic standards

Thread with sources, for those with a Twitter account

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
As luck would have it, Frederick Douglass already is covered in the curriculum (SS.68.AA.2.8), whereas the subject under discussion (SS.68.AA.2.3) is under the description "Examine the various duties and trades performed by slaves (e.g., agricultural work, painting, carpentry, tailoring, domestic service, blacksmithing, transportation).".

I read up on Frederick Douglass' Wikipedia article. Apparently he learnt how to read despite his slaveholder's wishes, arguing that that might make him want to be free. If his duties did not require him to read it does not fall under the heading of duties performed in slavery, so he would not be an example.
You know you're just being picky, and not actually contradicting the underlying point. If they're teaching about Frederick Douglass already, they are elevating this type of person, who made the best of their circumstances in spite of enslavement. But if you'd like another option, how about the coal dealer Robert Gordon.

Side note: if you [sic] another quote of me, I will not respond to that post.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
You know you're just being picky, and not actually contradicting the underlying point. If they're teaching about Frederick Douglass already, they are elevating this type of person, who made the best of their circumstances in spite of enslavement. But if you'd like another option, how about the coal dealer Robert Gordon.
No, my interpretation of the curriculum right from the start has been that the skills learnt in slavery presumably was of some use as freedmen, despite the work being done in slavery most often being low skill labor. Being e.g. a cotton farmer is a skill, after all. That they talk about "slaves in some instances" I extended to being the more specialized skills. You, on the other hand, came in with the interpretation that "That line could easily be describing people who heroically overcame their oppression from within." something I did not think followed from the description since that was not a skill acquired while working in enslavement, that was a skill acquired despite enslavement. So yeah, I am contradicting the underlying point, it's just that you have not paid me much attention and therefore misinterpreted what the point I was getting at was.

Robert Gordon's history was interesting.

I thought it possible that there was someone else who bore the surname and you didn't actually speak of the famous Frederick Douglass. That was one way to highlight it. But I'll refrain from using [sic] going forwards.

Thread with sources, for those with a Twitter account
The other day I found out how to access a twitter feed without being a member: use nitter.net.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

It is good to show how people can overcome circumstances

But don't pretending that anyone can follow this. Millions of people were enslaved but only a handful were able to rise to elite stasis

Most slaves were smart and hard working. Hard work and smarts do not overcome barriers. Douglas had lucky circumstances

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Robert Gordon's history was interesting.
I know, right? Seems like the kind of thing kids could look up to. Not in any way pro-slavery.
It is good to show how people can overcome circumstances

But don't pretending that anyone can follow this. Millions of people were enslaved but only a handful were able to rise to elite stasis

Most slaves were smart and hard working. Hard work and smarts do not overcome barriers. Douglas had lucky circumstances
There were many people who escaped or bought there way out of slavery, at least dozens who became wealthy and prominent. People don't know they existed because we only teach about oppression. The left would love to teach about Black Wall Street being burned down, but God forbid someone (especially Florida) suggest we teach about who those people on Black Wall Street actually were.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So if all the others Voltroned themselves together they'd still lose to Trump.

(Admittedly that idea seems cooler than it'd probably end up being)

I'd normally say give up now and start sucking up to the new boss, but that requires more stability than Trump has to work.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Although it's obscure, the Nine Heads of Nurgle were leading capitalists and politicians who conspired to destroy their world, and ended up as one demonic form, so that works for me.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Although it's obscure, the Nine Heads of Nurgle were leading capitalists and politicians who conspired to destroy their world, and ended up as one demonic form, so that works for me.
Kind of funny that I have literally never engaged with the franchise in anyway, books, games or anything else but just through some form of osmosis was able to go "sounds like some 40K stuff".

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
There were many people who escaped or bought there way out of slavery, at least dozens who became wealthy and prominent. People don't know they existed because we only teach about oppression. The left would love to teach about Black Wall Street being burned down, but God forbid someone (especially Florida) suggest we teach about who those people on Black Wall Street actually were.
They do teach about Black Wall Street. They just don't stop before the massacre happens

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So if all the others Voltroned themselves together they'd still lose to Trump.

(Admittedly that idea seems cooler than it'd probably end up being)

I'd normally say give up now and start sucking up to the new boss, but that requires more stability than Trump has to work.
I'm pretty sure Jeb Bush was by leading the polls like this about 1.5 years out from the 2015 election. The polls can change quickly

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Brace those cringe muscles, maybe stretch or massage them before watching this to avoid cramps.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Brace those cringe muscles, maybe stretch or massage them before watching this to avoid cramps.

Now, now, I'm sure that ad's ... is it an ad? Whatever, let's go with cringe. I'm sure that cringe's use of the Sonnenrad is entirely accidental. The result of an overeager social media manager, or whatever, finding it somewhere innocuous and putting it in that cringe because he thought it was a cool design, unaware of its origins and later use as a symbol.

Die andere Erklärung ist Stechschreitend klar

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde