Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Go ahead and try to convince me that this isn't Musk just paying people to like him.
If 44 billion didn't do it I doubt any amount will.

His whole reason for buying Twitter was 'Look, Twitter is now run by a cool guy who knows what all the cool people want.... Right?'

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Now, that does look like the Wakandan thing, I guess, but if he grasps his shoulders and puts his head into the X it's a good position for bracing yourself in you're in a car that rolls over, as it's like an improvised neck brace.

Not that I'm saying that's symbolic of Twitter being a car crash or anything.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Now, that does look like the Wakandan thing, I guess, but if he grasps his shoulders and puts his head into the X it's a good position for bracing yourself in you're in a car that rolls over, as it's like an improvised neck brace.

Not that I'm saying that's symbolic of Twitter being a car crash or anything.
Maybe it's also the best position for any children about to be hit by one of Tesla's self-driving cars?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Eh, cause it's X-Twitter? Ex-successful business?

Hoping to be able to sue people that use the letter X?
No, it's dumber. Twitter is rebranded X for the same reason Tesla models are often ordered S, 3, X, Y on its website, and Space X is pronounced as a portmanteau of 'space' and 'sex' i.e. Musk is 15yo mentally.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I had a 'learn to spell' type of educational game on the Amiga when I was a kid (I could already spell well enough, it came with the computer). It said letters as you clicked them, but it said 'x', which I would pronounce 'ex', as 'kzz'.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Just a thought, but 'Twitter' was already a thing before, Musk can't claim that as his. 'X" however? His ego can take credit for that.

Or it's a really stupid means of getting out of its debts. "Oh, those bills are for Twitter. We are X, completely different". Yes, I'm aware that isn't how it works. Is Musk tho?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Just a thought, but 'Twitter' was already a thing before, Musk can't claim that as his. 'X" however? His ego can take credit for that.

Or it's a really stupid means of getting out of its debts. "Oh, those bills are for Twitter. We are X, completely different".
Rebranding Twitter - without a great deal of thought and planning - is as dumb as rocks. The Twitter brand isn't irrevocably toxic (yet): it's actually quite evocative of the way the platform functions, and so on. He's also not the CEO any more, so it shouldn't even be his decision. Depending on the contracts he signed to secure external finance for the deal, there's even the possibility that his creditors could force him to step away from the company if they felt he was damaging it and thus their investment.

I think his ego probably has a lot to do with it - even if just the fact he's mad as hell he colossally fucked up and bought it at an overpriced sum, and has only managed to make it even worse. Changing its name doesn't change those facts, but he possibly now associates the name with his exquisitely painful and public embarrassment, and this is one way to not hear it any more.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Rebranding Twitter - without a great deal of thought and planning - is as dumb as rocks. The Twitter brand isn't irrevocably toxic (yet): it's actually quite evocative of the way the platform functions, and so on. He's also not the CEO any more, so it shouldn't even be his decision. Depending on the contracts he signed to secure external finance for the deal, there's even the possibility that his creditors could force him to step away from the company if they felt he was damaging it and thus their investment.

I think his ego probably has a lot to do with it - even if just the fact he's mad as hell he colossally fucked up and bought it at an overpriced sum, and has only managed to make it even worse. Changing its name doesn't change those facts, but he possibly now associates the name with his exquisitely painful and public embarrassment, and this is one way to not hear it any more.
To be honest, I'm just amusing myself with coming up with the most moronic reason possible for the rebrand,.

I'm not particularly interested in the actual one. Tho I do believe "X is kewl" is part of it.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Can you even make a trademark out of a letter ? That whole idea is dumb.
A specific, novel, artistic design of that letter, yes.

The firm is officially called X-Corp I think, which is probably fine as I guess no other companies are likely to have that name. There could be some issues where an existing firm has "X" in it very prominently, but if they're in different fields I doubt that would be an impediment (and Musk can always try to buy out their rights).

Chances are it's the name of a company in about a dozen books, films, games or comics but I don't see that's a major problem as they're fictional.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So apparently Musk tried and failed to rebrand PayPal as X.com and was kicked out because of it. He's been pushing for an edgy X for decades. What a cringe head fuck.
Also rebranding Twitter videos as XVideos sure is a thing. Can't imagine XVideos already being a thing...

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Guys you're not understanding. It's meant like Malcolm X, but for repressed white people. It's a bold strategy.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
There's no denying that when I see Musk I think 'that dude is sure one straight edge son of a gun'. No, wait, that's not what I think at all.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I X-pect Elon to go fully Kingdom Hearts organisation XIII soon and rename himself Noxel, or something stupid like that.

The X will Xeet.