What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh that's pretty cool. I only played the original Double Dragon on NES, I haven't kept up with any of the series. And the word Gaiden in the title has something to do with like Ninja Gaiden?
Gaiden means side story. The only reason the West got the title, Ninja Gaiden, was because it sounded cool, and us stupid American couldn't pronounce Ninja Ryukenden!

As for Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons, the reason why it's called that is due to being a full on continuity/"prequel" reboot. This franchise never had consistent continuity. There is the arcade continuity (DDI-DDIII) and the NES continuity (DDI-DDIV). After that, each game pretty much takes place in its own pocket universe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_Hunter_77

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished my second playthrough of DD Gaiden and I am stopping for tonight. This time Lady Okada was the final boss and she's tougher than Willy_Final Boss. I got two more playthroughs, and afterward, the refuse the offer option.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I started my first Call of Duty campaign ever- Black Ops Cold War, because it's on PS+. I generally don't like FPS but this year I am making it a point to try games I don't usually play so I figured I'd check this one out.
Enjoying it more than I expected- sure it's dumb point and shoot but it does more with that formula than I expected, with some "stealth" and vehicles thrown in there, some fun visuals and graphics, and some appropriately disturbing plot points politically. And apparently the campaigns are short so I'm gonna try to actually finish this.
I have no desire for the zombies and certainly not the multiplayer, this is a hit it and quit it deal, but it's nice that they put it on the subscription service.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I started my first Call of Duty campaign ever- Black Ops Cold War, because it's on PS+. I generally don't like FPS but this year I am making it a point to try games I don't usually play so I figured I'd check this one out.
Enjoying it more than I expected- sure it's dumb point and shoot but it does more with that formula than I expected, with some "stealth" and vehicles thrown in there, some fun visuals and graphics, and some appropriately disturbing plot points politically. And apparently the campaigns are short so I'm gonna try to actually finish this.
I have no desire for the zombies and certainly not the multiplayer, this is a hit it and quit it deal, but it's nice that they put it on the subscription service.
COD is the baby stuff. Whenever you want to ask me or Worgen, and either of us will but throw a bunch of better shooters your way.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
COD are theme park game as far as single player goes. None of it is that deep, but they keep things varied by having a gimmick level every one in awhile. I'd never play them every year but once in awhile its fun.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
As @BrawlMan said there are better FPS games out there. But, sometimes you want something big and over produced and just popcorn movie dumb. COD can be a lot of fun, If you want more COD games to try out I would say the best in terms of story is the original Modern Warfare, its story is legit good, if not great. If you want the best in terms of gameplay I would say Mw2 or 3, or Black Ops 2. If you want the best in terms of ambition then Infinity Warfare all the way. If you want the best set pieces then... Well, I would say Ghost, but it plays worse then all the other ones, in ways that I can't really put my finger on, plus it probably has the most racist plot.

If you want to try other FPS games then we have recommendations we love to give out, but if you want more COD, those are some I would say give a shot to, I can give more info on those also.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finally beat Andro Dunos 2. Its a shootemup I got last December. With shootemups I tend to play a bit then put them on the back burner for awhile, generally long enough so I end up forgetting the patterns. Anyway, its really an excellent shootemup with great graphics, music, plays fantastic and a nice difficulty for moderate skilled shootemup players. Not sure how much it would give to the hard core, but I also didn't play on the highest difficulty.

Playing more Ratchet and Clank, still really good, the animation on enemies is just amazing, the difficulty has also ramped up, to the point where its been hard at points, which is nice.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Nah guys, as I say, I really don't like FPS games and shooting mechanics in general, and things that glorify guns and imperialism- all of which is why I never played a CoD. But experiencing one was on my gamer-to-do list and, as I said, this is just the one that was available to me for free. I finished the campaign, I'm done, I'm good. It was fun to play for 1 day, no more.

I have demos next: Lies of P, Sea of Stars, and something I don't even know what it's called cause the font is confusing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nah guys, as I say, I really don't like FPS games and shooting mechanics in general, and things that glorify guns and imperialism- all of which is why I never played a CoD
Hence why I am offering ones that are non-COD/non-COD style, and all balls to walls arcade shooting that don't involve real world armies or nations. Most of the shooters I would recommend to you are Doom/Doom style or Serious Sam & Duke Nukem style. Though I do recommend Crysis 2 & 3, if you want something with way better stealth.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nah guys, as I say, I really don't like FPS games and shooting mechanics in general, and things that glorify guns and imperialism- all of which is why I never played a CoD. But experiencing one was on my gamer-to-do list and, as I said, this is just the one that was available to me for free. I finished the campaign, I'm done, I'm good. It was fun to play for 1 day, no more.
There is a lot more to FPS games then COD and modern military shooters and military shooters in general.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
There is a lot more to FPS games then COD and modern military shooters and military shooters in general.
Yes I know this lol. I just, as a mechanic and style, do not prefer shooters and am uncomfortable with FPS perspective in general.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes I know this lol. I just, as a mechanic and style, do not prefer shooters and am uncomfortable with FPS perspective in general.
What about the TPS perspective? You remind me of my older brother; he like some shooters, but mainly prefers third person shooters. I am of a similar way, but got more accepting of FPS around my late teens.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In honour of @Dalisclock giving DragonAge Origins another red hot go, I endeavoured to do the same.

6 hours later, and now I'm remembering every shitting problem I have with this game. I think I'm going to have to consign it to the 'never again' pile. I'm not interested in micro-management at the level of a four person party, and point and click is the bane of combat because half the time I end up moving into melee range (as a mage) when I'm trying to select a target and start shooting it. This game's combat is worse than World of Wacraft's and I'll fucking die on that hill with the Alliance standard held high.

Also Jesus Christ I'd forgotten just how hard they leaned into the brown in this fucker.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In honour of @Dalisclock giving DragonAge Origins another red hot go, I endeavoured to do the same.

6 hours later, and now I'm remembering every shitting problem I have with this game. I think I'm going to have to consign it to the 'never again' pile. I'm not interesting in micro-management at the level of a four person party, and point and click is the bane of combat because half the time I end up moving into melee range (as a mage) when I'm trying to select a target and start shooting it. This game's combat is worse than World of Wacraft's and I'll fucking die on that hill with the Alliance standard held high.

Also Jesus Christ I'd forgotten just how hard they leaned into the brown in this fucker.
Yeah, it's hard to get into playing a 2009 game in 2023 and I was happy that DAI(and a lesser extent DA2 had actual Color and not just shades of puke) I keep telling myself I'm gonna play Baldurs gate 1 and 2 to get prepped for 3 but....those games are from the late 1990's and apparently the gameplay didn't age well.

1990s BG player: A real D&D TT experience on the PC!
2020's BG player: I could be playing BG3 or any number of other TT inspired PC games right now that play and look a lot better.

It is wierd you mention that though because I was just thinking about how I did a whole play through and write up of the DA series a year ago. Just popped into my head for no particular reason and then I log on and see this.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
COD SP are basically the FPS version of Big Hollywood action movies. They're generally dumb, they're full of explosions and cool set pieces and they're over in a few hours.

If you're in the mood for something really big and splody, they're great for that. As long as you don't think to deeply about them because then you notice they made very little sense. Infinite Warfare was the last one I played and it was dumb even by COD standards, which is saying something(which is a shame because I enjoyed it despite the idiot plot). Also Jon Snow is not a compelling bad guy in the least, especially after Kevin Spacy was playing a bond villian in Advanced Warfare and having fun with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

I have demos next: Lies of P, Sea of Stars, and something I don't even know what it's called cause the font is confusing.
Ever tried Portal? I mean, it’s technically more first person perspective than shooter (where shooting is basically for portals) intertwining clever puzzles and level design. Also has one of the more intriguing gaming protagonists in Glados.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Ever tried Portal? I mean, it’s technically more first person perspective than shooter (where shooting is basically for portals) intertwining clever puzzles and level design. Also has one of the more intriguing gaming protagonists in Glados.
Never heard GLADoS called a protagonist before, unless you meant to use a different word there.

Reactions: Hawki and Bedinsis

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure I would recommend portal to someone uncomfortable with first person since there is a lot of odd movement there. I mean if they are interested in it then they should play it since its awesome. Really for something more relaxed and first person, I would recommend the Talos Principle since also puzzle based but less portally.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I'm not sure I would recommend portal to someone uncomfortable with first person since there is a lot of odd movement there. I mean if they are interested in it then they should play it since its awesome. Really for something more relaxed and first person, I would recommend the Talos Principle since also puzzle based but less portally.
I get motion sick easily. I had to take three long breaks while playing through Portal. That chamber where you had to press a button and then quickly rotate and move over to a platform on the other side of the room via a portal was painful.