Your video game hot take(s) thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Any PlayStation/Xbox exclusive that comes to PC after a year or year and a half, automatically should come with a discount price.

I am once again finding it funny how a brawler with rouge-lite elements that only cost a little over half the price physical, or 3/4 of the price digital, has more replay value than most of these "elite", "luxurious", "AAAA" titles most of the publishers and console makers are throwing out. I know most these exclusives are good on the PlayStation side, but they're not worth $70. They should be at either $50 or $60. Sony, Microsoft, and most other major publishers/developers know this. Which is why I never paying full price for any of these games. It's either going to be coupons, discounts the used section at a second hand store, or a "freebie" on PS Plus.
I mean, if you want to get technical then free games have much much more replay value then any other game out there since they are free and tend to have heavy grind.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, if you want to get technical then free games have much much more replay value then any other game out there since they are free and tend to have heavy grind.
Unless you're getting the game with no charges or as a gift from somebody, there's a reason why I put a quotations around freebie. You're still paying for the subscription fee, on top of your internet service provider fee. Not to mention there's tiers to each subscription now. At best you're paying 60 bucks for a full year, if you don't care about any of the other tiers. But if you want more "free" or even bigger sales on games, then you're going to be paying 100 plus dollars more. The only reason why I have the basic PS plus, is just so I can play certain multiplayer games. That's it at this point.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Unless you're getting the game with no charges or as a gift from somebody, there's a reason why I put a quotations around freebie. You're still paying for the subscription fee, on top of your internet service provider fee. Not to mention there's tiers to each subscription now. At best you're paying 60 bucks for a full year, if you don't care about any of the other tiers. But if you want more "free" or even bigger sales on games, then you're going to be paying 100 plus dollars more. The only reason why I have the basic PS plus, is just so I can play certain multiplayer games. That's it at this point.
I meant free to play games like Warframe, Destiny 2, Smite, League, etc. Those give you the most gaming for your buck since they are free. So if you are comparing a AAA to an indie by cost per hour, then free to play beats them both easily.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I meant free to play games like Warframe, Destiny 2, Smite, League, etc. Those give you the most gaming for your buck since they are free. So if you are comparing a AAA to an indie by cost per hour, then free to play beats them both easily.
I don't do free to play, and I wasn't referring to them. The freebies are referring to or those that are full price game that either become free or come at a great discount for paying for the subscription service. Besides, a lot of free to play games aren't that good. Most of them are fee 2 pay, instead of play. I'll give credit to Warframe, and for the developers still sticking good by their customers and fan base. Destiny on the other hand, Bungie has gotten worse. They are stuck in a live service model now Marathon is a multiplayer only game when it comes out, and I don't know what is up with them at this point. I know some people treat Bungie as saviors; especially with how downhill the Halo franchise has gotten, but they're recent updates to Destiny 2 ain't much better or comes with its own problems that doesn't make me want to play it. I rather just go with a discounted games, be they AAA, AA, or Indie.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't do free to play, and I wasn't referring to them.
I was.

The freebies are referring to or those that are full price game that either become free or come at a great discount for paying for the subscription service. Besides, a lot of free to play games aren't that good. Most of them are fee 2 pay, instead of play. I'll give credit to Warframe, and for the developers still sticking good by their customers and fan base. Destiny on the other hand, Bungie has got yours. They are stuck in a live service model now Marathon is a multiplayer only game when it comes out, and I don't know what is up with them at this point. I know some people treat Bungie as saviors; especially with how downhill the Halo franchise has gotten, but they're recent updates to Destiny 2 ain't much better or comes with its own problems that doesn't make me want to play it. I rather just go with a discounted games, be they AAA, AA, or Indie.
Even if you are talking dollar per hour of enjoyment, destiny 2 is a really good deal. $100 bucks a year gets you the big expansion and all the seasonal content and there is a lot of value there. Not sure about them talking about bumping up the price though and its not as good as Warframe, but its still good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Even if you are talking dollar per hour of enjoyment, destiny 2 is a really good deal. $100 bucks a year gets you the big expansion and all the seasonal content and there is a lot of value there. Not sure about them talking about bumping up the price though and its not as good as Warframe, but its still good.
Dollar per hour or not, I am still not interested. and not worth it for me. If it's valuable to you and other that agree with you, so be it and vice versa.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Nethack is completely free, has no grind and I've spent hundreds of hours playing it. Every other time/value comparison pales before it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dollar per hour or not, I am still not interested. and not worth it for me. If it's valuable to you and other that agree with you, so be it and vice versa.
I never said you had to play one or not. But if you care about dollar per hour then free to play can just be the best value.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never said you had to play one or not. But if you care about dollar per hour then free to play can just be the best value.
I know, I was just pointing out about myself. It's why I have the vice versa statement.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
With Baldur's Gate 3 releasing, the old "but why do M rated western games get full frontal nudity and uncensored genitals while Japanese anime games have to cover up their schoolchildren" debate has started back up in the dumber corners of the internet. I'm not really interested in having it as the answers are A) Japanese censorship laws and B) adult characters vs child characters, bit it *did* lead me to develop a hilarious conspiracy theory I've started believing immediately:

Sexy Asian mobile games get mildly censored in the "west" so that they can harvest more data from children due to lax data protection laws
Screenshot_20230805_094716_X.png

Screenshot_20230805_094723_X.png

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Here's my "hot" (not really) take: Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield have nothing to do with each other.
Corollary: the vast majority of single player games do not have mtx or whatever, so we don't need to praise a game for it.

The love-heap on BG3 is insane. I'm glad folks are enjoying it but I've also seen youtube content creators talk about how they like the game even though they don't like the combat which to me is a way of saying "I don't like this game but I'm afraid to admit it."

And even worse is praising BG3 by making fun of how much Starfield- a game that hasn't come out yet- sucks. Specifically that BG3 is superior because it offers much more choices than Starfield possibly could, which is logically equivalent to saying that Starfield is a better game because it offers superior space travel.

You know- maybe not everyone wants to fuck a bear or whatever. Internet is so stupid lol.

Personally I have no intention of playing either. I think pitting two massive awesome looking games against each other is the peak of asshole gamr privilege.

The only thing I'm genuinely rooting for is Starfield to perform well on PC and BG3 to play well on PS5 because platform compatibility seems to be an increasingly big problem and it would be a shame of players get f'd over with these highly anticipated games.

Also I just think it's funny that it's two games that promise like a million hours of play-time while Star Wars and Assassins Creed game devs are tripping over themselves promising their games aren't too long lol.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Corollary: the vast majority of single player games do not have mtx or whatever, so we don't need to praise a game for it.
Nowadays, yes but it's still an issue coming from major AAA studios. It won't take long for it to come back and pray on unsuspecting people. The fact that it went over so long it's still an issue that there are people who see nothing wrong with micro transactions of any variety. I can't blame people for that type of praise when his name going on for this long. No it shouldn't last forever. You are right to an extent.

The love-heap on BG3 is insane. I'm glad folks are enjoying it but I've also seen youtube content creators talk about how they like the game even though they don't like the combat which to me is a way of saying "I don't like this game but I'm afraid to admit it."
That is definitely nothing new in the YouTube space. You always got "preach to the choir or echo chamber" guys. Even Max Dood, one of my favorite YouTubers is guilty of this when it came to Avengers. He gave that game at 7 out of 10, despite the many issues Nax had with it only to change his mind about a month and a half later. And I'm saying, "Why didn't you just say this sooner?". That wasn't even the first time he got too soft on a game. Who the hell you were going to upset Max? Why would you even need to care? You're not on Square Enix's payroll.

Personally I have no intention of playing either. I think pitting two massive awesome looking games against each other is the peak of asshole gamr privilege.
I'm not interested in either game, but I'll take BG3 in a heartbeat over Starfield.

The only thing I'm genuinely rooting for is Starfield to perform well on PC and BG3 to play well on PS5 because platform compatibility seems to be an increasingly big problem and it would be a shame of players get f'd over with these highly anticipated games.
Agreed 👍🏿.

Also I just think it's funny that it's two games that promise like a million hours of play-time while Star Wars and Assassins Creed game devs are tripping over themselves promising their games aren't too long lol.
That's because AC has been doing the same thing for over a decade with more monotonous and tedious game play each time that gets worse. I can't speak for both Star Wars games, but I didn't enjoy Fallen Order much.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
That's because AC has been doing the same thing for over a decade with more monotonous and tedious game play each time that gets worse. I can't speak for both Star Wars games, but I didn't enjoy Fallen Order much.
Oh sorry I was talking about the upcoming Star Wars Outlaws. First they said a planet was like an Assassins Creed and internet was like WUT then they said nah fam it's not like bullshit stuff and internet had a party. And I'm over here like- yo, this game isn't coming out for a year at least chill lol

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's a long and storied tradition to love playing D&D while hating the system of D&D and I'm glad that Baldur's Gate 3 has hit that target

There's more to RPGs than combat

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's a long and storied tradition to love playing D&D while hating the system of D&D and I'm glad that Baldur's Gate 3 has hit that target

There's more to RPGs than combat
Yet without it, Baldur’s Gate 3 - and many other games - would just be the most indulgent choose your own adventure visual novel with some choices locked behind RNG.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yet without it, Baldur’s Gate 3 - and many other games - would just be the most indulgent choose your own adventure visual novel with some choices locked behind RNG.
yeah.
And using Disco Elysium- a game with no combat- as any example does not prove a point.

combat is a major major part of most games, including BG3. Many people enjoy that combat, as a central part of enjoying the game. But not enjoying that central part of the game means- logically- one doesn’t enjoy the game. It’s insane to pretend otherwise

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
yeah.
And using Disco Elysium- a game with no combat- as any example does not prove a point.

combat is a major major part of most games, including BG3. Many people enjoy that combat, as a central part of enjoying the game. But not enjoying that central part of the game means- logically- one doesn’t enjoy the game. It’s insane to pretend otherwise
Disco Elysium has plenty of combat, it just doesn't involve throwing punches. But even if it doesn't...okay? Lotta people like Mass Effect in spite of its lackluster core shooting gameplay.
Yeah, turns out people like that. It's a wildly popular genre even.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, turns out people like that. It's a wildly popular genre even.
Indeed they do and power to them and the genre. However, I would be interested to see the alternate universe numbers of the sales of a hypothetical version of Baldur’s Gate 3 that has no combat.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Here's my "hot" (not really) take: Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield have nothing to do with each other.

And even worse is praising BG3 by making fun of how much Starfield- a game that hasn't come out yet- sucks. Specifically that BG3 is superior because it offers much more choices than Starfield possibly could, which is logically equivalent to saying that Starfield is a better game because it offers superior space travel.

You know- maybe not everyone wants to fuck a bear or whatever. Internet is so stupid lol.

I mean, BG3 is by all indicators, a very well executed effort that is built on a foundationally systemically flawed pair of premise. One being trying to emulate D&D, an infintiely open ended system within the confines of a videogame. The other being trying to be a sequel to something that very definitively had a very final end (to the point, that even the post-game adventure of the "canon" character was basically "poochie went back to his home planet and died and we never spoke of it again" (until someone decided we needed a 20 years later nostalgia cash flow or attempt to re-assert the brand in the wake of the Pathfinder games or whatever). If you ignore the stink of cash grab about it, Larian seems to have batted above what they should have been able to in pulling it off as well as they did.

Starfield just seems to be doomed to failure by the modern hype cycle. Despite all Bethesdas failings and history its still being hyped as this infinite do-everything space RPG to end all space RPGs (both by creators and fans). Even if we get one of the more complete/functional/interesting Bethesda games out of it, it seems like it will topple under the weight of expectation.

Bethesda's weird dichotomy of both being recognized as bug ridden and landscapes of repetitive nothingburgers while still being consistently hyped is its own topic that someone will probably write a thesis on or something someday.