Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For once, IGN says something that makes sense. They have not done that since the mid 2000s.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I really think that’s a big stretch. Evangelion first aired in 1995 - not sure when the manga began publication - and FFVII came out in 1997. Given what we know about lead times and shit, if there was any inspiration I seriously doubt it was significant.
Was going to say this as well. I just don't see it based on the release dates, besides the fact that FF7 has pretty much nothing in common with Evangelion. Wikipedia says the manga ran from December 1994 until June 2013, and was intended to be a companion adaptation to the anime.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren
Nov 9, 2015
For once, IGN says something that makes sense. They have not done that since the mid 2000s.

People have been saying BG2 or PT was the greatest RPG made for the last 20 years! Every single RPG, even the Kickstarter cRPGs from the original devs fall short. You ask why, you never get a good reason. I'm sure some of them are saying BG2 was better than BG3 right now.

It is totally unrealistic. You know RPG devs for the last 20 years have played these games as reference. They can't beat it or simply don't try to, the AAA game simply isn't going to be that. You can't ask for a game to be exceptional and also appeal to me, the lowest common denominator.

Was going to say this as well. I just don't see it based on the release dates, besides the fact that FF7 has pretty much nothing in common with Evangelion. Wikipedia says the manga ran from December 1994 until June 2013, and was intended to be a companion adaptation to the anime.
I wouldn't say they have nothing in common, there's the Rabbinic imagery, the biological mechs, the instrumentality part where Tifa is talking to Cloud in the wheelchair whilst having a mental breakdown... it's similar. Maybe it's all coincidence, but Evangelion ended in 1996 and development times were shorter back then so it's possible.

I just remembered something, FF7 was supposed to be Xenogears, and that was rejected and became its own game. Now I never played Xenogears, I wanted to, but anyhow from what I know it sure looks like Evangelion.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People have been saying BG2 or PT was the greatest RPG made for the last 20 years! Every single RPG, even the Kickstarter cRPGs from the original devs fall short. You ask why, you never get a good reason. I'm sure some of them are saying BG2 was better than BG3 right now.
I never knew much about BG2 being the "greatest RPG of all time", and I don't what PT stands for in this case. They're allowed to have their own opinion, but I disagree with them on that end.

It is totally unrealistic. You know RPG devs for the last 20 years have played these games as reference. They can't beat it or simply don't try to, the AAA game simply isn't going to be that. You can't ask for a game to be exceptional and also appeal to me, the lowest common denominator.
True, but it doesn't excuse the lack of trying from most AAA studio, nor acting like complete bitches because another AAA studio put in effort and actually care for the overall end product. Nor have most of these AAA studios/publishers bothered treating their audience with respect. Only as numbers, mindless sheep, and expecting all of us to eat the same mediocre gruel every single day. Most people don't expect all the other RPGs nor games to be exactly like BG3. Most of the sensible audience want these developers to actually try and put in effort, not nickel and dime for everything we got, while shoving out a broken game that gets launched at $60-70+, and gets patched whenever they feel like it with FOMO added in the mix. These jealous and whiny studio crying know their products suck or are hacked together in the laziest and most uncaring way possible. Instead being inspired to be better, they want to stay the same and be worse (I swear gaming is the only medium to do this practice a lot unlike film and TV), and want to drag everyone else down with them. It's the old fashion, "If I can't be happy/can't have it, than no one can!". Fuck that shit. You all don't want to release quality good games with little to no problems, then just admit already and stop wasting everyone's time.

People are tired of mediocre or bad products from this side of the industry. It's why I go for mostly AA and indie games. They have their flaws too, but it is nowhere near the amount that happens in the AAA space. I am not getting BG3, but I am happy for the game' success and shows how bad the industry has gotten with its negative practices. Keep showing your true colors, ya insecure bitches.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Quake
Quake 2
Crysis
Ghostwire Tokyo

Not sure what console peasant poisonry it is, but I been having serious troubles with these games I love the looks of and really wanting to properly play, but the right-stick camera settings just keep feeling off no matter how much I toggle with all the sliders. The smoothing option also basically doubles the number of sliders to experiment with, alongside the possibilities of getting it wrong, which is uhh a tad more disheartening to still not find a setting that works like the other FPSs. Is it something to do with porting from keyboard n mouse to console controller a certain way that causes this or something else, or am I stupid and going insane from peasantry fever? It's so weird, nothing to do with the games' quality at all, only one subsection of settings as a hurdle.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I never knew much about BG2 being the "greatest RPG of all time", and I don't what PT stands for in this case. They're allowed to have their own opinion, but I disagree with them on that end.
'Planescape Torment'. Another isometric CRPG, known for being light on mechanics but heavy on story, with deep philosophical conversations and interesting party members. Kinda like what Disco Elysium would be 20 years later.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
'Planescape Torment'. Another isometric CRPG, known for being light on mechanics but heavy on story, with deep philosophical conversations and interesting party members. Kinda like what Disco Elysium would be 20 years later.
Oh, that game! I know even less about it than Baldur's Gate. I at least played some of BG2 back in the day. Planescape I have never played once in my entire life.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Good to see, but what’s kinda funny is the IGN video is three days old while this random YouTuber was calling out AAA’s shit two weeks ago -

Many others have called out this out years ago, before either video got uploaded recently. The only difference since it's BG3, people are a bit more vocal about it now. We saw this with Ghost of Tsushima and Elden Ring, so it's good to know that even casual gamers are taking notice of how bad this attitude has gotten.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Ahahahahahahahaha. Called it. Crap character with a crap gameplay flow that will literally do negative 50 damage. What would an archer want to get closer to an enemy. No wonder his name starts with L. Because his gameplay is full of Ls.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I wouldn't say they have nothing in common, there's the Rabbinic imagery, the biological mechs, the instrumentality part where Tifa is talking to Cloud in the wheelchair whilst having a mental breakdown... it's similar. Maybe it's all coincidence, but Evangelion ended in 1996 and development times were shorter back then so it's possible.

I just remembered something, FF7 was supposed to be Xenogears, and that was rejected and became its own game. Now I never played Xenogears, I wanted to, but anyhow from what I know it sure looks like Evangelion.
I don't know what Rabbinic imagery means so I can't argue that one. Biological mechs? Are you talking about the Godzilla monsters? Because I don't recall Cloud ever getting into a mech and I really don't think Cait Seith counts either. And as if mental breakdowns are something original to Evangelion, and what are you going to do with a catatonic person other than put them in a wheelchair.

When you say something like 'obviously inspired by' I expect more similarities than a couple of things that are vaguely similar if you squint. The themes, tone, characters, plot, aesthetics, and world are all radically different between Eva and FF7. There are more differences than there are similarities between them.
Oh, that game! I know even less about it than Baldur's Gate. I at least played some of BG2 back in the day. Planescape I have never played once in my entire life.
A grave error, but there's always time to correct the omission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
With the way my gaming schedule is right now, I am not making any promises. CRPGs were never my thing. You'd be better off convincing my brother to play. Knowing him though, he'll probably go after BG3 next, since he just finished Yakuza 6 a few days ago.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
With the way my gaming schedule is right now, I am not making any promises. CRPGs were never my thing. You'd be better off convincing my brother to play. Knowing him though, he'll probably go after BG3 next, since he just finished Yakuza 6 a few days ago.
Ok, tell your brother to play it then.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I couldn't keep watching this. Does he get to a point eventually, or just keep griping about every last game and developer he doesn't like?
I recognize the user, RPG Division. Yeah, he's a whiny douche, so I avoid him and he's never showed up in my recommendation feed.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I couldn't keep watching this. Does he get to a point eventually, or just keep griping about every last game and developer he doesn't like?

No idea as I didn’t finish it either. Only posted it to show that while IGN had a surprising take (for them), like BrawlMan said it’s nothing new.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Nov 9, 2015
I don't know what Rabbinic imagery means so I can't argue that one. Biological mechs? Are you talking about the Godzilla monsters? Because I don't recall Cloud ever getting into a mech and I really don't think Cait Seith counts either. And as if mental breakdowns are something original to Evangelion, and what are you going to do with a catatonic person other than put them in a wheelchair.
Bro, one of them looks like a red mass production EVA. They also appear in FF14 as pilotable mechas with plugsuits, and yes that's 7 titles ahead but it's not some crazy connection. The mental breakdown I'm talking about is the dialogue between Tifa and Cloud when they were in the lifestream. Cloud was having an existential crisis, and the dialogue was exploring his subconscious in this shared-consciousness space.

When you say something like 'obviously inspired by' I expect more similarities than a couple of things that are vaguely similar if you squint. The themes, tone, characters, plot, aesthetics, and world are all radically different between Eva and FF7. There are more differences than there are similarities between them.
Both begin with the discovery of a creature whose is supposedly the progenitor of all mankind. Its name references the Tanakh or Talmud. Its appearance is that of a pale mutilated human, and kept in statis without the public's knowledge. There is a super secret cabal trying to use this creature to bring humanity back to a pre-fall state. The creature gets absorbed and turns into a Seraphim looking thing.

They're not radically different, sure one is about the environment, and the other is about, idk... depression? However that's all a train of thought to tie the death of God to 90s postmodernism, not necessarily Evangelion.

Fun fact: Planescape Torment was explicitly inspired by FF7, so I mean technically Evangelion was behind that as well... I'm just joking.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Fair warning if you try Torment, you build the wrong way and its gonna get Nintendo hard at several points where the non-avoidable combats come up. Parts of it are also uh.... obtuse to an extreme. Not entirely necessary parts, but theres several cases where dialogue options don't appear in trees until you pursue a different dialogue option in a different subtree that occurs after that one, so you end up havign to go backwards and re-review it (this is how you get the ability to raise your party members if they die, lol), a couple of times where stuff literally doesn't show up unless you specifically walk into empty corners, and things like that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fair warning if you try Torment, you build the wrong way and its gonna get Nintendo hard at several points where the non-avoidable combats come up. Parts of it are also uh.... obtuse to an extreme. Not entirely necessary parts, but theres several cases where dialogue options don't appear in trees until you pursue a different dialogue option in a different subtree that occurs after that one, so you end up havign to go backwards and re-review it (this is how you get the ability to raise your party members if they die, lol), a couple of times where stuff literally doesn't show up unless you specifically walk into empty corners, and things like that.
Yep, not dealing with that shit!