What are you currently playing?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Saints Row (2022)
Is it actually worse than gta4, or only bad compared to contemporary expectations (or merely worse than the other Saints Row games) ?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I'm really really highly skeptical of that.

Frankly, GTA4 is quite bad. From the nonsensical collisions to the vanishing cars to the save points to the instant proximity arrests to the useless hideouts and money... It's one of those games that you fight more than its in universe opponents. I doubt a later generation game can do worse on these basic gameplay issues.
The problem is GTAV wasn’t a later generation. It also launched on 7th gen, five years after IV and nearly all of its “improvements” were superficial/surface level stuff like better textures and color. It’s on full display in the video. The car damage models, physics, and enemy physics, hit response, rag dolls, and AI pathing were all more nuanced in IV while V was pretty pared back due to memory being used on all the visual stuff and managing three playable on demand characters.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I’m interested in it myself. How difficult is it? I enjoyed Rollerdrome and the skating here reminds me of that a bit
It's way more laid back than Rollerdome, those are two quite different approaches to videogame. It's closer to a tony hawks but with focus on spraying n music n fighting n explory vibing instead of high scores n goal-oriented levels. Rollerdome is an intense death match that will murder your loved ones for the sake of a few more pennies.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It's way more laid back than Rollerdome, those are two quite different approaches to videogame. It's closer to a tony hawks but with focus on spraying n music n fighting n explory vibing instead of high scores n goal-oriented levels. Rollerdome is an intense death match that will murder your loved ones for the sake of a few more pennies.

perfect

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

I am once again flummoxed by how GOOD this series is. The art, the MUSIC, the gameplay, it even has rather touching moments in it. Guys, They made RABBIDS have unique and likable personalities. WTF is this series? It's like any good left in Ubisoft was shuffled off to work on this game series. I've also realized that Rabbids are kind of doing a reverse Minions, where Rabbids started out as generic meme fodder, they're now becoming something with substance while Minions started as a support characters for a heartfelt movie and degraded into cheap marketing feed.

Anyway, the game is good, play it. And I know Brawlman, you don't want to give Ubisoft any money, but this series is very different and I think if Ubisoft is going to turn around then we should support games that do that.

Also, also, listen to the soundtrack.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I finished Into the Radius, and I have to say, even with the various notes you find providing clues, the ending kind of comes out of nowhere. It turns out that both you and the little girl you spent the entire game working to rescue aren't really human- you're both entities spawned by the Radius itself (the manifestation of a super-intelligent entity that had been buried beneath the town for millions of years), replicas of people who died inside its limits, and you're the first iteration to fully succeed at... whatever the hell it is the Radius created you to do. You're then presented with the options to either shoot the little girl and be granted a human body and life, or shoot the "representative" of the Radius and gift that body and life to the girl- or you can take a third option and shoot yourself in the head and just reset everything.

Still, the game itself is engrossing enough for me to want to give it another go with different weapons.

Reactions: gorfias

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im taking a break from Divinity Original Sin 1, and i've decided to play the CoD WW2 campaign as somewhat of a palette cleanser.

I like me a good CoD campaign. They basically hold your hand through 5 or so hours of what is basically one giant setpiece, with generally really high production values. Infinite Warfare and MW2019 have been two recent highlights. This one though, it is pretty rough, to be honest.

Its kind of baffling how much this one is a downgrade from Infinite Warfare. In almost every aspect.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im taking a break from Divinity Original Sin 1, and i've decided to play the CoD WW2 campaign as somewhat of a palette cleanser.

I like me a good CoD campaign. They basically hold your hand through 5 or so hours of what is basically one giant setpiece, with generally really high production values. Infinite Warfare and MW2019 have been two recent highlights. This one though, it is pretty rough, to be honest.

Its kind of baffling how much this one is a downgrade from Infinite Warfare. In almost every aspect.
Infinite Warfare is one of those that got weird hate but its so damn cool, if for no other reason then its really trying to do something new with COD.

Reactions: gorfias and Hawki

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Shadow of the Colossus, now I'm doing the time attacks on NG+. I always thought the time attacks were a weird "gamey" addition to what is otherwise such a minimalistically sober, stripped-down game. So I never bothered with them on PS2/PS3. They felt like an imposition that had nothing to do with the experience. Now that I'm finally going for Platinum I have to deal with them and at least on normal difficulty they're not particularly challenging. The worst part tends to be getting a colossus' attention. It's like they infused some of these guys with ADHD for time attack mode. And what even is the point of the rewards you get for completing these challenges? You've already beaten the game in order to unlock them, and you're not even allowed to use them during time attack.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Infinite Warfare is one of those that got weird hate but its so damn cool, if for no other reason then its really trying to do something new with COD.
I honestly really enjoyed both IW and AW, despite them being fucking stupid at times(and Jon Snow is a terrible villian).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I honestly really enjoyed both IW and AW, despite them being fucking stupid at times(and Jon Snow is a terrible villian).
When Snow comes up against Kevin Spacey, said villain will always come up short to a man who's played almost nothing but villains for decades.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They both have problems but they also are both within grasp of greatness.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Having finished off Into the Radius, I decided to start playing the other game I got with it, After the Fall... and I don't think I'm going to keep playing it. It is basically Left 4 Dead in VR, with the brain-dead AI and absolute need for other players to manage getting through any of the stages of the game, and I'm far beyond done with wanting to play with others. It's a shame, because blasting the hell out of hordes of zombies in VR is loads of fun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They both have problems but they also are both within grasp of greatness.
I can't speak for IW (other that Steve from YoVideoGames is a big defender of it), but AW always felt like a weak sauce Titanfall and Crysis. This next statement is unrelated, but most fans call AW the real Black-Ops III, and I can't help but agree.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can't speak for IW (other that Steve from YoVideoGames is a big defender of it), but AW always felt like a weak sauce Titanfall and Crysis. This is next statement is unrelated, but most fans call AW the real Black-Ops III, and I can't help but agree.
AW was cool, it had neat gadgets, cool set pieces and its plot was ambitions and interesting if flawed. Like they tried to have a bad guy, before the obvious one. But, since your in a merc company being in disjointed locations makes sense, plus the heel turn is just way too abrupt. Like, the story they had has all of what you need for greatness, but it just doesn't put the pieces together like it needed too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
AW was cool, it had neat gadgets, cool set pieces and its plot was ambitions and interesting if flawed. Like they tried to have a bad guy, before the obvious one. But, since your in a merc company being in disjointed locations makes sense, plus the heel turn is just way too abrupt. Like, the story they had has all of what you need for greatness, but it just doesn't put the pieces together like it needed too.
I'm aware of the gadgets, even most fans agreed the grapple hook should have been used in more levels than just the two. I got Titanfall 2 and the Crysis trilogy, so whatever positives are there, aren't going to endear me much.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm aware of the gadgets, even most fans agreed the grapple hook should have been used in more levels than just the two. I got Titanfall 2 and the Crysis trilogy, so whatever positives are there, aren't going to endear me much.
Its cod, almost no cod game really uses its cool gadgets more then in a setpiece or two. But the movement system felt really good in pvp. Better then in most other games that had similar, not better then titan fall 2.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
(and Jon Snow is a terrible villian).
"Death is no disgrace!"

Shoots his own soldier to prove that the SDF doesn't care about the lives of their men...then has SDF kill Earth soldiers and tells them to save bullets. 0_0

...God, Kotch could have been a good villain if the writing was better. :(

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
FIRE EMBLEM HEROES
Enough. With. The. Swim. Suit. Para. Logues. You. Hacks.

FFS, I never went into Heroes expecting groundbreaking storytelling, but FFS, I'm so sick of this. The paralogues could have been used to flesh out the setting/story (and to be fair, sometimes they do), but again and again, I'm plunged into...sigh, swimsuits.
DIABLO IV
So I played through Act IV, continuing the tradition of the game's fourth act being the shortest of the lot. Course, there's still acts 5 and 6, but it's jarring here - I'd say Act IV is about as long as the prologue, so shouldn't this be a, I dunno, interlude?

Of course, I didn't just go through Act IV, did plenty of side quest stuff as well (and disconnects are still irritating as hell, especially when they occur in a dungeon, and worse still when it kicks me out entirely), but anyway, general thoughts:

-Staying true to form, I planned out my route to get from Kehjistan rather than simply warp back to Kyovashad, in order to do side quests/strongholds/whatever. Going by said route, I ended up in Nevesk - y'know, the first town you encounter in the game. Only three people in the town, none of whom seem to be native to it, and the town itself is still in ruins. While minor, it serves as a nice reminder of where your character's journey began, and really reinforces how screwed the world is. As in, this far into the game's storyline, and Nevesk is still in ruins, and unlike other places, hasn't been repopulated, because literally everyone who was in the town originally is now dead because, y'know, you killed them.

-Going along said route, I cleared out the Nostrava stronghold/town. From an aesthetic/ambience standpoint, this is probably the best stronghold in the game. Basically, the town's taken to worshipping Lilith, so you need to kill the corrupted villagers, fight through endless tides of demons, and destroy demonic effigies, which even by the standards of the game, are grotesque (the way their flesh writhes as you damage them). That in of itself isn't worth mentioning, but what adds to it as you make your way through, fires spread, night falls (as opposed to the usual day-night cycle), snow picks up, and culminates with you fighting a trio of succubi at the end. And while unlike Nevesk, in that a portion of Nostrava's population survive, no-one's really happy, and some clearly resent you, while acknowledging the necessity of your actions. I mean, soon as you kindle the Wanderer's shrine (thus completing the stronghold), the very first thing you see are two young girls are their mother's grave.

-Made it to Kyovashad, stumbled into the inn (don't know how I missed it thus far). Not much to say, but the innkeeper's devout, got a smirk when she expressed her hope that her cat would join her in Heaven.

-Entered the Cathedral of Light, where Inarius himself is giving a sermon. Love how the camera angle pans to convey how much space Inarius's wings actually take up. So much so that even though he's a lying git, there's still a sense of majesty to him.

-Also talked to Prava, and yep, she's horrible. Ask her about Vigo? She doesn't care. Point out Inarius killed Rathma? She deploys a version of the "anything God does is good by definition" argument.

-So finally...FINALLY...after speaking to Donan, I got my horse (which you can't name, but if you could, I'd name him Binky, and brownies to anyone who gets the reference). Having finally got said horse, I've got to say, it's a letdown. The controls are stiff, the regular pace is far slower than it should be IMO, and while you can get quick bursts of speed, they're just that - quick bursts. Not to mention that by this point in the game, there's little reason to use a horse since most of the waypoints are unlocked. I rode to the Horadric Vault to get a sense of horse riding, but really, it's a letdown (though I did get a better experience later on, as I'll explain).

-Made it to the Horadric Vault, and Neyrelle, who's been holing up, is still adorkable with her geeking out over scrolls and stuff (seriously, I don't get the dislike for her). This may sound strange for an ARPG, but honestly, it was nice to be able to go through new sections of the Vault and not have to fight anything, but rather just let the story play out. As in, we finally get explanation as to what Lorath, Donan, and Elias were doing, how Tyrael left (though there were plenty of Horadrim by the end of D3, yet there's no mention of them, nor any mention of the Nephalem), but as a whole, it's well done. Also key revelation is how the Prime Evils have animal aspects (a wolf, a bat, an owl), so if Mephy is the wolf, which is Baal and which is Diablo? Dunno, but we'll see how things play out.

-Made it back to the Forsaken Chapel, where the whole gang (such as it is) is together - the PC, Lorath, Donan, Neyrelle, and Taissa. More on this dynamic later, but already, the act ends, as we have to fight Andariel. I'm honestly mixed on this. First, that Elias can use Taisa as a waypoint conduit rather than have Andariel possess her feels like a cop-out. As in, they wanted to get Andariel into Sanctuary, but didn't want to knock her off, so convoluted a way to have Taissa survive, whereas in previous games, characters like Albrecht, Aidan, and Leah most certainly didn't survive demonic possession (I know, Prime Evils vs. Lesser Evils, semantics). Second, and arguably more importantly, it really doesn't work well in terms of story. A significant portion of Act III hypes up Elias summoning Andariel, which you thwart, only for her to be summoned in the end of Act IV, and pop her off as soon as the summoning occurs.

-All that being said, the actual fight in of itself is quite good. From a mechanical standpoint, it's reasonably tense, since you're forced to fight in a smaller area with each phase. Second, Andariel is appropriately grotesque, and her appearance likewise shifts with each phase as well. Nothing much to say beyond that, but it's well done.

-So Andariel is defeated, Act IV is ended, and the company is ready to set off to Hawezar. Dad!Lorath is nice, and there's a sense of comraderie in the group, though Taissa is still a cipher at this point in time. I've commented on this before, how D4's open-world nature arguably restricts the group dynamic, but I can't help but think of D3 for instance, where by the end of Act II, there was a party of nine (narratively, not mechanically), all of whom had been established as characters. Here, we have a party of five, with far less fleshing out. That's not to say that there's no dynamic at all (for instance, Lorath and Donan are their own thing, while the PC and Neyrelle feel separate, in part due to their ages, in part because Lorath still doesn't trust the Wanderer), but even by the standards of the series...well again, D3 did it better. And look, not every Diablo game needs the group dynamic, but even so...

-Anyway, I was at the end of my play session, so I actually took time to ride Binky (that's my horse's name and you can't tell me otherwise) west across Kehjistan, and here, the riding was better, only in as much that I was able to actually explore the map rather than retread old ground, it was easier to evade monsters (being over level 50, there's far less incentive to kill them at this point in time), and make it to the Iron Wolves' camp. Can't comment more on that, had to log off.