Starfield - No Man's Bethesda

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I bought a new desktop earlier this year as the old one was getting a little weak and flaky (the old one was 2015 mid-range tech, although upgraded with a 2020 mid-range GFX card), and Starfield was one of the games I was thinking I would want to run on it.

And yet here I am on release day, and I have not bought Starfield nor are sure I'm going to, because a lot of the reviews and news have not excited me. Well, shit. I need some sort of high-spec game to justify the money I spent on the new system. Maybe I'll have a rush of enthusiasm at the weekend, but it's not looking good.
RDR2 with mods looks better than most current gen games.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

You know stuff like this is pretty funny, people spaz out over anything and everything. And I think a big part of it is that Starfield isn't the train wreck of a game that people wanted it to be.

But then I started to think.....there are no white dudes in the game like basically anywhere. Everyone is ethnic in some fashion or female or usually both. Outside of my character and my dad (because the game makes your parents based of what you made for your character) I can't think of even seeing a normal NPC that's just a white dude. At best the founder of Constellation is an old white dude maybe, but like.....Representation was important I thought. Except apparently there is some equity that white fuckers have to pay for by being excluded for a while because it only matters for everyone else apparently.

It's not worth spergging over but it's funny to read the unhinged people argue.
Literally one of the two first NPC you see seconds into the game is a white dude, the guy who give you cop mission in the first major settlement is a white dude, the governor of mars is a white dude, that's just random one I can think on top of my head. I will say there's not nearly enough Asian though, if the idea is that everyone scramble to run from Earth and everyone got mixed up, asian should be a major portion of the population, but they seem pretty rare all things considered.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So once again, spoiled and entitled idiots complaining over nothing, because they can't imagine themselves in everything, even though there's plenty of games with an abundance of white people in it. They can go fuck themselves like usual and not worth the attention span.

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

You know stuff like this is pretty funny, people spaz out over anything and everything. And I think a big part of it is that Starfield isn't the train wreck of a game that people wanted it to be.

But then I started to think.....there are no white dudes in the game like basically anywhere. Everyone is ethnic in some fashion or female or usually both. Outside of my character and my dad (because the game makes your parents based of what you made for your character) I can't think of even seeing a normal NPC that's just a white dude. At best the founder of Constellation is an old white dude maybe, but like.....Representation was important I thought. Except apparently there is some equity that white fuckers have to pay for by being excluded for a while because it only matters for everyone else apparently.

I picked Alien DNA trait so I wonder what 'race' my character is....

Anyway reviewers sure weren't kidding about the game being a very slow burn. I only played about 2 hours and it's not that exciting so far. Running around in a future city doing fetch quests for a random scientist studying trees. I was running around some underground area flipping switches when the game crashed, so I decided to call it a night.

The spaceship UI stuff is kinda awkward and will take some getting used to. Maybe I haven't figured out a good way to do it, but having to bring up the menu to do everything is a bit of a pain in the ass.

The transition between getting on your ship and going to a place is definitely very pace/immersion breaking. Whereas in Fallout/Skyrim, it's more or less a seamless experience(short of loading screens of course).

I bought a new desktop earlier this year as the old one was getting a little weak and flaky (the old one was 2015 mid-range tech, although upgraded with a 2020 mid-range GFX card), and Starfield was one of the games I was thinking I would want to run on it.

And yet here I am on release day, and I have not bought Starfield nor are sure I'm going to, because a lot of the reviews and news have not excited me. Well, shit. I need some sort of high-spec game to justify the money I spent on the new system. Maybe I'll have a rush of enthusiasm at the weekend, but it's not looking good.
My new PC just came in on Tuesday. I'm personally just playing on GamePass. I was initially subscribing to Gamepass just for Persona 5 Royal cause it was stupid expensive on launch and it's not the type of game I'd ever replay. I beat it a long time ago and still haven't spent the retail price of the game from all the months I've been subscribed so I think it's kinda worth it once you get over the whole game ownership shebang. Also got to try Atomic Heart which I hated, so thank fuck I pay full price for it on Steam.

Though Gamepass sure came very close to making me want to buy it on Steam. It just absolutely refused to launch games on my new rig and after fuddling around with registry, deleting and reinstalling and repairing it through MS's crappy App related BS shittery - turns out the cause was a fucking time sync? Like, why does that even matter? Steam doesn't bother me with this insanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
he guy who give you cop mission in the first major settlement is a white dude
Officer Lin? That dude is not white lol.

I picked Alien DNA trait so I wonder what 'race' my character is....
This highlights something that really sucks about the game imo. There are no aliens. Like there are creatures or whatever, but there are no alien civilizations that you encounter or talk to. Every bad guy is just a dude in a different color space suit.

For all the expansiveness of the game the creativity is actually pretty shit. It's all humans, with no enemy variety, no weapon variety, no activity variety, nothing. When you start to break Starfield down, you'll find a game with ideas from a decade ago being paraded around and barely functional, with the creativity of that guy who used to be successful and never stops telling the story about how he got 4 touchdowns in a single game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

...okay, I haven't played Starfield, but I'm really skeptical about this. One of the first people you see in the game is a "white dude" (the assistant to your mining supervisor). Also, assuming everyone got off Earth, "white dudes," as you'd put them, would encompass about 5% of the total population. That, and if we're being absolutely realistic, you'd have far more mixing by the 24th century. Even if we don't leave Earth, assuming that globalization continues unabated, you're probably looking at the majority of humans being a shade of olive in a few centuries time.

But sure, not enough white dudes. :rolleyes:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Yep, these flame war comments are hilarious and have more personality than the NPCs in the actual game lol.

But in all seriousness, if the devs don't want to be thoughtful and innovative with their works, why should we be thoughtful and innovative with our feedbacks?

Reactions: BrawlMan

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Money is difficult. Many players collect money as an aim in and of itself even if it's useless - they'll never spend it. But it feels like an achievement to many players, and a lot of games are geared around amassing pointless amounts of money. Sometimes, money is heavily constrained at the start so the player gets in the habit of hyper-looting. If you're casual about looting, eventually it drops a "You need 10k gold to advance this quest [ha ha]!" or you see that magic halberd you really, really want is in a shop at a really high cost. Games can therefore punish you for not being sufficiently aggressive looting.
I'd say a big part of the issue is that what you buy in shops tends to be a bit... middling anyway. What you loot tends to be much more useful than anything you can buy, which naturally leads to players not spending any money because there's nothing worthwhile to spend it on and thus having craptons of cash by the last third of the game.

Occasionally, very occasionally, you get games that go the other way. Where getting money and buying stuff each opportunity you get is so essential to beating that game's challenges that you're constantly strapped for cash and need to grind fights, loot, and sell nearly everything you find so you can afford to continue progressing. This is rare though.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So... rounding out what all the bones in the bowl say, it looks to me that the actual biggest issue with this game is that it's bland. Mechanically and aesthetically, it's bland. I have not heard anyone talk about a moment, place, or character that stood out as unique or truly memorable. It's just "An open world game.... IN SPAAAACE!"

Even with all the problems that Cyberpunk had and has, it at least oozes it's own Identity in its style and people recount certain moments or characters. Starfield is just... "Yep... that's one of those games".

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So... rounding out what all the bones in the bowl say, it looks to me that the actual biggest issue with this game is that it's bland. Mechanically and aesthetically, it's bland. I have not heard anyone talk about a moment, place, or character that stood out as unique or truly memorable. It's just "An open world game.... IN SPAAAACE!"

Even with all the problems that Cyberpunk had and has, it at least oozes it's own Identity in its style and people recount certain moments or characters. Starfield is just... "Yep... that's one of those games".
The game is kinda like one of those buffet place, there's a bunch of food, none of which is amazing but the variety is still impressive.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nah the "FBI" dude he send you to.
I dont think I did enough missions for then to get to that guy. I didn't want to exhaust that story line in case it was one of those "infinite generating missions" So before things got crazy I decided to continue the MSQ.

Reactions: meiam

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I love the game, but I do have a few gripes with it.

No large scale battles(So far)

Earth gets destroyed(You are telling me you can travel lightspeeds with warp drives but can't terraform Earth or Mars)

No bombing people on the surface(first mission I am like why don't those pirates just kill me with a bombing run)

No Capital class ships to pilot

They banned Mechs!!!

No Hover Tanks...

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Earth gets destroyed(You are telling me you can travel lightspeeds with warp drives but can't terraform Earth or Mars)

No bombing people on the surface(first mission I am like why don't those pirates just kill me with a bombing run)

They banned Mechs!!!
HEY HEY HEY!!!!

No using creativity around here!!!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Ended up watching like an hour of it amidst the death heat here making me otherwise lazy. (its not coming out on playstation)

Seems like bog standard Bethesda game, nothing interesting going on with the lore. The spaceship UI looks bloody awful and having a second UI (in that pixel font, which doesn't work for ingame UI) ontop of the ships cockpit also displaying a UI (that appears to be static/irrelevant) is just a mess.

Beyond that it just seemed clunky. Enemies with visible level numbers rather then actual differentation. Stagger bars because everything must have stagger bars now (I'll give some credit, they're probably just forwarding from Youngblood which had the same and came out simultaneouls with Sekiro)

Also they're obviously fudging the faces in spacesuit helmets and they all look weirdly blown up and oversized as a result and idk how no one mentions this lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Stagger bars because everything must have stagger bars now (I'll give some credit, they're probably just forwarding from Youngblood which had the same and came out simultaneouls with Sekiro)
Stagger bars or numbers were always there, just slightly more obvious now. There's plenty of games I played now that either don't have them, or keep them invisible.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

They banned Mechs!!!

No Hover Tanks...
I could see FTL travel being easier than terraforming, the problem with earth was that it lost its magnetosphere (a problem mars also has) to start it again would require forcing the earth core to start churning again, which would be incredibly hard to do.

You can make really big ship if you want to, there's no "class" of ship, but I'm not sure what the upper limit off ships are, but if you feel like stapling a lot of module together you can make ship that are just as big as anything you find in non-eve space game.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

They banned Mechs!!!

No Hover Tanks...
Modders to the rescue! Although I think even they'll be restricted to what they can add to the game.