Starfield - No Man's Bethesda

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Man actually playing this game on PC is a PITA. Saw I could pre download it so I did, but turn out that didn't include extracting anything, which has to be done day of and takes 15 mins. Once that was done, find out I had to update drivers, so did that. But then I was finally ready... to have the game compile shaders. Gee I only have like an hour to play and most of it is gone.

Reactions: BrawlMan

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Man actually playing this game on PC is a PITA. Saw I could pre download it so I did, but turn out that didn't include extracting anything, which has to be done day of and takes 15 mins. Once that was done, find out I had to update drivers, so did that. But then I was finally ready... to have the game compile shaders. Gee I only have like an hour to play and most of it is gone.
Lets not kid ourselves, even if you could boot the game directly you probably couldn't play it much within an hour. With whatever intro/tutorial sequence they have laid out for us along with character creation. You're going to have to set aside at least half a day to get started.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm going to do it lads, I'm going to go to IKEA rather than buy Starfield, and I get to do all sorts of inventory management and exploration.

God I hate going to IKEA.
Still more fun than Starfield.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I bought a new desktop earlier this year as the old one was getting a little weak and flaky (the old one was 2015 mid-range tech, although upgraded with a 2020 mid-range GFX card), and Starfield was one of the games I was thinking I would want to run on it.

And yet here I am on release day, and I have not bought Starfield nor are sure I'm going to, because a lot of the reviews and news have not excited me. Well, shit. I need some sort of high-spec game to justify the money I spent on the new system. Maybe I'll have a rush of enthusiasm at the weekend, but it's not looking good.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One of the reasons I like Luke is that he will make correction videos if something gets figured out as wrong in a previous video.
Which is more than enough I can certain other YouTube critics. GGMan has made apologies and corrections on occasion, but he has moments of acting with foolish pride thinking his opinion is the only correct one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And yet here I am on release day, and I have not bought Starfield nor are sure I'm going to, because a lot of the reviews and news have not excited me. Well, shit. I need some sort of high-spec game to justify the money I spent on the new system. Maybe I'll have a rush of enthusiasm at the weekend, but it's not looking good.
Play what you want to play, high tech game or not. If you need any help, I'll gladly be there for you.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There are plenty of other games that you can play to test your new rig out on.

GTA V on high settings
Cyberpunk 2077
No Man's Sky is good now.
Jedi Survivor is patched and in good shape now.
The Witcher 3 is a beat on a powerful machine.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm a couple of hours in and I the online discussion around it is kinda annoying me. I feel like people are just going out of their way to criticize the game on pointless nitpick (like every planet not being entirely generated the same for everyone, why does that matters?) while at the same time completely ignoring stuff that the game should be crucified for, which to me tell me that most people didn't actually play the game and are just having fun jumping on the hate bandwagon, because its simultaneously the thing that everyone is doing while also being the "underdog" position, going against the hype (ignore the fact that the hype was essentially non existent).

It's an exploration game, except there's almost nothing interesting to find (although I'm still early so maybe that'll change but I don't think so). Fallout 4 has two things going for it, there was a lot of junk to collect and then break down into raw resource, some quite rare and there were some unique bobble head and magazine to collect for some small but significant gameplay reward. None of that exist here, all you can collect is junk that is quite clearly only junk and nothing else, the real resource are collect by doing space mining, which is about as interesting as it sounds. Maybe if they went the factorio/satisfactori, with various outpost needing complex supply chain, but the supply chain system is so shallow its insulting to compare the two. As for gear, you can get some really good legendary gear with all kind of modification, except the gameplay is piss easy so you really don't need it, and otherwise everything can be crafted.

The game also ignore other system they could have just imported, like fallout VAST system. There's also no equivalent to magic (ie, a way of fighting that doesn't directly use weapon). Cyberpunk 2077 had cyberhacking mid combat to spread debuff and such, but here the closest is being able to intimidate someone into switching side for a bit of time. Another they could have just copied from cyberpunk would be some sort of human augmentation system, with all kind of fun stuff, but nothing. There's been mention of mech a couple of time in the game, which could just be fallout 4 power armor, but it doesn't seem like you can actually pilot one either.

Its a shame because the environment is crazy good, there's tons of detail, few load screen, everything is really big in large settlement and there's nothing to find. I'll notice some area can crawled trough then find a secret locked door open it, go trough a maze of small corridor and get to the end to find... nothing but junks that I can sell for not enough credit to buy anything. It's like all the systems and resource have been made to make an amazing game and they just gave up 95% of the way there. The RPG elements are also really bare bone, even skyrim had more interesting talent choice, here everything is just "do X Y% better".

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

First of all, Zelda has been licensed Nintendo game since it's birth.

Second, filthy rich coming from guys who bought the IP and published it other platforms.

Third, do you ever get tired of hearing Sweet Little Lies day in, day out, Todd?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

You know stuff like this is pretty funny, people spaz out over anything and everything. And I think a big part of it is that Starfield isn't the train wreck of a game that people wanted it to be.

But then I started to think.....there are no white dudes in the game like basically anywhere. Everyone is ethnic in some fashion or female or usually both. Outside of my character and my dad (because the game makes your parents based of what you made for your character) I can't think of even seeing a normal NPC that's just a white dude. At best the founder of Constellation is an old white dude maybe, but like.....Representation was important I thought. Except apparently there is some equity that white fuckers have to pay for by being excluded for a while because it only matters for everyone else apparently.

It's not worth spergging over but it's funny to read the unhinged people argue.