Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Florence Pugh as a FBB, what??? They couldn't get Bridget Jones?

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

So basically, Unity will charge developers a one-time fee per player based on players installing (and initializing) the game. $0.20 per install depending on whether a dev meets a certain revenue treshold. $200k/200k installs in the last 12 months for Personal, $1M/1M for Pro, tho the cost per install scales downward for Pro/Enterprise.

John Riccitiello continues to be the fucking worst. Bet Tim Sweeney is loving it tho.

Many questions. How are they going to track who installed and played a game? Via some kind of telemetry? Can it distinguish between a first time install and a re-install? What if someone installs a pirated copy? Is the dev on the hook for those too? And so on.

Also, this will fuck over charity game bundles so bad.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

So basically, Unity will charge developers a one-time fee per player based on players installing (and initializing) the game. $0.20 per install depending on whether a dev meets a certain revenue treshold. $200k/200k installs in the last 12 months for Personal, $1M/1M for Pro, tho the cost per install scales downward for Pro/Enterprise.

John Riccitiello continues to be the fucking worst. Bet Tim Sweeney is loving it tho.

Many questions. How are they going to track who installed and played a game? Via some kind of telemetry? Can it distinguish between a first time install and a re-install? What if someone installs a pirated copy? Is the dev on the hook for those too? And so on.

Yeah, I don't think so, this guy is just bluffing. I mean we've seen crazy and delusional statements like this that didn't go anywhere countless times

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Either the games' graphics will be watered down af, or this will be one impressive phone to run these games.

But would anyone pay $70 for mobile games that you can play better on other platforms AND most likely drain the battery? Hmm.....

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Either the games' graphics will be watered down af, or this will be one impressive phone to run these games.

But would anyone pay $70 for mobile games that you can play better on other platforms AND most likely drain the battery? Hmm.....
RE4 has been through worst ports.

Yeah, I don't think so, this guy is just bluffing. I mean we've seen crazy and delusional statements like this that didn't go anywhere countless times
For the developers and consumers sake, he fucking better be! A lot of indies use Unity, because it's a cheaper and more affordable option.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
For the developers and consumers sake, he fucking better be! A lot of indies use Unity, because it's a cheaper and more affordable option.
Iirc, Unity has been making decisions that make it less attractive for small devs in general. This guy lays out some of the problems
Unity is incredibly capable in many ways. Improving on the existing codebase and documentation would make it even better: more stable, beginner-friendly and faster to work with.
And therein lies the rub. More features? Absolutely, tho half the time the new ones break the old ones. More monetization? Of course. Improving the tools to actually use it? It's run by Riccitiello, what do you think?

There are alterrnatives tho. There's Game Maker (Hotline Miami, Undertale, Hyper Light Drifter, etc) and also the new and upcoming Godot (Cruelty Squad, Cassette Beasts, Ex Zodiac). Both free. Game Makes is only really good for 2d tho. Godot is more general, but is still very much a work in progress. But, with Unity's insistence on scaring away smaller devs it might gain more traction, giving it more opportunity to mature. Tho chances are most will just move to the already mature Unreal.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

IOS apps can natively run on the newer Apple Silicon macs too (And your purchases cross over in the app store), so they wouldn't be hard bound to the phone itself. Although if the apps been ported to run on the phone its certainly unlikely to be runnning at the computers best.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Anyone's account turn 20 today? Mine won't until May.
I think my 1st purchase was 2011 which still seems like a very long time ago. I'd done a gaming PC build in 2009 (I7-930 GTS 250) but wouldn't even know of Steam for another 2 years.
Now they're having a sale re: their top sellers from each year. Some don't appear to have a sale price at all, let alone a giveaway. And you gotta love Steam: taking a dozen year old game, saying it is $60, but they're selling 1/2 price of $30!!! Still love 'em and get a lot of bargains there but they really shouldn't be doing this sort of thing. Does anyone really buy it?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

WTF? I can't even begin to talk about the problems with this plan, they just seem so obvious that even an idiot would recognize them.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Baiten kaitos remaster is ditching the english VO

They have some lame excuse but I wonder if its because the origin VO recording were just of slow quality that they were unusable.
Nah, that's fair. The voice quality of the OG really is that bad.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
WTF? I can't even begin to talk about the problems with this plan, they just seem so obvious that even an idiot would recognize them.
What's funny is @BrawlMan and I were just talking about engines in the Starfield thread and he mentioned how Unity was better than Unreal for smaller devs......guess that's not true anymore lol.