General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What's funny is @BrawlMan and I were just talking about engines in the Starfield thread and he mentioned how Unity was better than Unreal for smaller devs......guess that's not true anymore lol.
I noticed the irony yesterday. The only reason I didn't say anything, cuz I thought it was too obvious since we had just talked it the day before yesterday.

Color me intrigued but won’t get my hopes up. Definitely playing on PC if it turns out good though.
Nightdive has been on a great track record. I know they can do this. I'm not buying day one, but it's $9.99 like quake II, then I'll considerate it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
WTF? I can't even begin to talk about the problems with this plan, they just seem so obvious that even an idiot would recognize them.
And it's also apparently retroactive, which, again, how the fuck are they going to track that? Are they going to make educated guesses? Then present devs a bill for a game they made years or even a decade ago?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Lies of P reviews are rolling in:

Pros:
  • Amazing setting inspired by bloodborne and the story of Pinnochio. The atmosphere is awesome
  • Fun Combat, especially with the arm system and weapon customization
  • Great Soundtracks
  • Narrative decision on whether to lie or not, altering the story
Cons:
  • While weapon customization is fun, it's not as powerful as legendary weapons
  • Uneven difficulty spikes

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
AAAANNNDDDD They retracted and updated their terms

Still not backing down from charging price to some degree, aren't they?
Translation, "Oh no, I meant what I said. I AM an asshole."

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't mean you. I'm talking about the people in charge of unity.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

The PlayStation 5 exclusive sold three million copies during launch week, a figure that sparked a debate online about whether it had met Square Enix’s sales targets. Square Enix told IGN in July sales of Final Fantasy 16 were “extremely strong”, and insisted the game had sold well relative to the PS5 install base........A new report from Bloomberg painted a bleak picture of Square Enix, which reported a sharp profit decline in August. Analysts told the publication that Final Fantasy 16 failed to make up for the poor performance of previous Square Enix flops, such as Marvel’s Avengers and Forspoken, and mobile games that were shut down soon after launch.
Damn, I guess Avengers and Forspoken bombed that hard.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It should be noted Unity Technologies went public in 2020, and that basically all of the decision they made since then has not endeared them with their users (i.e. devs).

Unity stock down 5.5% as of this writing

The dev of Rust responds

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I was going to link this article. And people are shitting on Square like "Nothing ever meets targets" or whatever, but after reading what the President said, I think he has a point. Square would do better to increase focus on the products that they know work, rather than trying to chase the dragon with these smaller either live services or outsourced projects that never work out.

Instead tightly control the resources for their big in-house projects and worry less on orbital gambles and I think it would work out better for them long term.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I wonder if SE is considered "third-party", if FF7 Rebirth is an ps5 exclusive for the time being?
They are but Square and Sony have had a deep relationship for a long time, to the point where they are kind of a second-party developer for Sony. It's been like that since the Ps1 thanks to Nintendo and Square having bad blood. Obviously Square and Nintendo have a working relationship now, but I think Square puts Sony first when it comes to platforming all their games even still today.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Square would do better to increase focus on the products that they know work, rather than trying to chase the dragon with these smaller either live services or outsourced projects that never work out.
This is pretty much a similar situation Capcom was in during most of the 2010s. It explains why Square said FFXVI sold "below expectations", after saying the game was doing "good". No wonder, Square was hoping FFXVI would bail them out on everything! It's going to take more than one game to get you out of the financial mess you put yourselves in, with the "live-services", crappy outsourcing, so many scammy mobile games, and trying to go all in on NFTs....twice!

EDIT: Which reminds me, Platinum had better stop going all in "live-services"! Stick with what you are good at: single player action games or adventure games.