Starfield - No Man's Bethesda

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
But if it’s in open space, wouldn’t friction only be relevant if there’s atmospheric pressure to produce it though? There’s no resistance otherwise, from what little I understand of it.
The water would be colliding with itself (and whatever random particles might be in it as well) at MAch whatever. essentially. As well as against whatever tube/opening its coming out of

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The water would be colliding with itself (and whatever random particles might be in it as well) at MAch whatever. essentially. As well as against whatever tube/opening its coming out of
Apparently it also wouldn’t take much for it to become a gas outside of earth’s atmosphere, so at that point it would probably (sort of?) violently boil away into nothing.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
In practice, however, I think any ship going that speed would have a ton of frontal armour in case of incidental bits of stuff, or some sort of shield/deflector, so a sufficient large and accelerated shot would probably still be required in combat.
The kind of armour needed to deflect even a small shot would be prohibitively heavy, ship would be almost entirely just armour. Even then it's not very effective, the shockwave from the blow travel trough the material and caused the other side to buckle and fragment (check below spoiler for example, and that's at relatively low speed when compared to space combat since it was done to estimate damage to earth satellite getting hit by debris in earth orbit). It would make far more sense to make multiple small ship with no armour than just one with the armour needed to deflect against even small projectile. Even opening a window to fire a 9 mm in space would require crazy armour to absorb the blow, the kind of gun used on seaship today would essentially be impossible to absorb in space warfare.

Baring some incredible develop of some sort of deflector shield, I really don't see space warfare ever seeing large ship combat when a tiny projectile would easily win a battle.
1694544648567.png

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Apparently it also wouldn’t take much for it to become a gas outside of earth’s atmosphere, so at that point it would probably (sort of?) violently boil away into nothing.
Yeah, there are essentially, a ton of variables. Including gravity, upper-atmosphere vs near-atmosphere vs actual vacuum, and various other things.

Obviously one major component is whatever the ships in question are allegedly made of. You can cut steel with a high pressure stream of water, and spaceships are presumably going Fast with an intentional capital F, so if you're shootiing that hose back with all your speed and the other chip hits that stream with its own speed in counterforce.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah, there are essentially, a ton of variables. Including gravity, upper-atmosphere vs near-atmosphere vs actual vacuum, and various other things.

Obviously one major component is whatever the ships in question are allegedly made of. You can cut steel with a high pressure stream of water, and spaceships are presumably going Fast with an intentional capital F, so if you're shootiing that hose back with all your speed and the other chip hits that stream with its own speed in counterforce.
Me thinks this would be more likely to happen down here on earth, given the high velocity water jet/stream would probably lose its concentration/pressure up there.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
No.

Relativity.

The ejected water is not moving at Mach whatever. Or rather, its velocity is completely dependend on with what you compare it. The water molecules are slow when you take one of the two ships as reference and they are also slow when you take other water molecules. So you basically don't get any high velocity collisions or friction whatsoever. Aside from the very sparse and random interstellar matter and radiation but that won't be enough to make a difference.

Also Mach is not a proper measure of speed when you have no speed of sound due to missing athmosphere but i know what you meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ag3ma

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
But if it’s in open space, wouldn’t friction only be relevant if there’s atmospheric pressure to produce it though? There’s no resistance otherwise, from what little I understand of it.
The water molecules are still moving very fast (albeit with that velocity roughly in the same direction), and can hit each other. This however would be very short lived, because by contacting each other they would drive each other apart and quickly stop hitting each other (much).

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Well in that case Bethesda has not done their research.

(was that an intentional reference, hansel?)
Um, uh…maybe? I’ve never watched Babylon 5 though so I might be missing something. Basically was only chiming in after the comment that going to IKEA was still more fun than Starfield, and I remembered those Swedish meatballs. It’s been over twenty years and I’ve been there since but it was still the highlight.

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Um, uh…maybe? I’ve never watched Babylon 5 though so I might be missing something.
Then we have something in common. I've basically only seen that clip, and thought that would be an extraordinarily appropriate response to your comment, so fitting that I thought it possible that you were referencing it.

Oh and to actually contribute something to the thread: this game does not interest me. First person makes me motion sick.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Spent all my money making my ship look silly. Just sort of wallows around in space now because I replaced all the parts I could with guns.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Then we have something in common. I've basically only seen that clip, and thought that would be an extraordinarily appropriate response to your comment, so fitting that I thought it possible that you were referencing it.

Oh and to actually contribute something to the thread: this game does not interest me. First person makes me motion sick.
Both of you go and correct that glaring oversight right now.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

You three may appreciate this playlist and the rabbit hole undoubtedly to follow.

You are deliberately gimping yourself. Games are only going to be developed more with the assumption that they're going on an SSD. Spinning rust still has its place, but the game drive is not it. Not any more.
Funnily, the guns in space has come up in current shows too lol

They also covered one thing not mentioned, trying to actually aim while in a bulky space suit when you cant hold the gun sight properly.

Reactions: Hawki

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Funnily, the guns in space has come up in current shows too lol

Okay, so I have a couple problems here:

- While your weight is lower on the moon due to its lesser gravity, your mass is still the same, and since he had the weapon (somewhat) shouldered it should not have knocked him back so comically, especially given the extra mass of his suit and everything on/in it.
- It's played for a joke, but no, you're not going to be able to fire a rifle bullet and have it circumnavigate the moon and hit you.

(They do actually do something smart by having the weapons painted white; with no atmosphere to cool the metal down, they could eventually absorb enough sunlight to get too hot to handle.)

They also covered one thing not mentioned, trying to actually aim while in a bulky space suit when you cant hold the gun sight properly.
You run into the same problem with firing while wearing combat gear and a gas mask. It's definitely not easy.

Reactions: BrawlMan