Starfield - No Man's Bethesda

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Funnily, the guns in space has come up in current shows too lol

They also covered one thing not mentioned, trying to actually aim while in a bulky space suit when you cant hold the gun sight properly.
I’d like to think in cases like this, a smart optic would be developed to connect either wirelessly with the suit or through a Cyberpunk style cable link in the suit.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I’d like to think in cases like this, a smart optic would be developed to connect either wirelessly with the suit or through a Cyberpunk style cable link in the suit.
If I consider one of the oddities about Starfield, it's that as far as I can see there is never much in-game reason to take your spacesuit and helmet off. So you're on an Earth equivalent world in a city full of people in normal clothes, running round fully kitted up for vacuum.

At least Bethesda had the sense to have some of the random, passer-by NPCs comment on it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
If I consider one of the oddities about Starfield, it's that as far as I can see there is never much in-game reason to take your spacesuit and helmet off. So you're on an Earth equivalent world in a city full of people in normal clothes, running round fully kitted up for vacuum.
There is the option in the inventory to hide your suit and helmet when you're in settlements.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Man, some of these hot takes actually made my head hurt.
That clip of Rich from ReviewTechUSA can fuck off about "feeding off of anger and fear". He did that shit more times than the man cares to count. Especially back in the early to mid 2010s. I forgot Act Man is friends/collogues with the guy, so that kind of sucks. He choose to connect with who ever he wants, but you don't want a moral lesson from hypocritical shits like Rich.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
That clip of Rich from ReviewTechUSA can fuck off about "feeding off of anger and fear". He did that shit more times than the man cares to count. Especially back in the early to mid 2010s. I forgot Act Man is friends/collogues with the guy, so that kind of sucks. He choose to connect with who ever he wants, but you don't want a moral lesson from hypocritical shit like Rich.
Yes, there's a difference between feeding off of anger and fear and simply reporting the drama of these hot takes. I feel Act Man is one of the few good ones to do the latter.

And then there are ones who feed off the said drama and make it way bigger than it actually is like Rich, Angry Joe (love his reviews, hate his tweets), or The Quartering.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel Act Man is one of the few good ones to do the latter.
True, he at least tries, but he has his weird opinions every now and then. Not political related in this case, some of his odd opinions on certain games. I am mainly referring to his RE4R review. That said, I am weary of who Act Man keeps in his social circle. He better continue checking himself.
And then there are ones who feed off the said drama and make it way bigger than it actually is like Rich, Angry Joe (love his reviews, hate his tweets), or The Quartering.
I can't stand any of AJ's reviews. I know he has calmed down a little, but I got sick and tired of his shit by 2015. Early 2016 is where I said fuck this guy, I quit! His Twitter posting are even more nonsensical and desperate. Glad I was never blinded by this guy's "charisma". The only time Joe had been in the right recently was back in 2020 with TLOUS II. The man has a right to an opinion, and too many people attacked him for disliking the game. Joe wasn't the only one, but why did people feel the need to hate him now, and not back then? Rhetorical, no one answer that.

As usual: QT can continue getting stomped in the dick a billion times with steel toed boots wrapped in barb and razor wire a the tips.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Okay, so I have a couple problems here:

- While your weight is lower on the moon due to its lesser gravity, your mass is still the same, and since he had the weapon (somewhat) shouldered it should not have knocked him back so comically, especially given the extra mass of his suit and everything on/in it.
- It's played for a joke, but no, you're not going to be able to fire a rifle bullet and have it circumnavigate the moon and hit you.

(They do actually do something smart by having the weapons painted white; with no atmosphere to cool the metal down, they could eventually absorb enough sunlight to get too hot to handle.)

You run into the same problem with firing while wearing combat gear and a gas mask. It's definitely not easy.
Yeah I'd expect the recoil would cause the gun to fly out of his hands more then the kickback, especally with the gloves not gripping it well.

And yeah, coming back around was a joke. I think a bullet might actually hit escape velocity for the moon, but even if it orbited it wouldn't be that low.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
And yeah, coming back around was a joke. I think a bullet might actually hit escape velocity for the moon, but even if it orbited it wouldn't be that low.
I think the escape velocity for the moon is over 2000m/s, which is substantially greater than the velocity of any bullet I can think of.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
You can steal enemy ship by disabling their engine and boarding them and killing the crew to take over I think, I never managed to pull it off and I don't know what happen to your old ship in that case so I don't want to try. Although price of ships are kinda strange, they're super expensive but making them piece by piece is kinda cheap.

But for money, you can pretty easily setup an outpost to pump out ridiculous amount of crafted material and sell those for a mountain of cash relatively early, it take just a bit of starter money but afterwards it just keeps going with almost 0 effort on your part.
Bit of a late reply but yeah. I've stolen a few ships. It's not that great to be honest.

Your old ship kinda fucks off to a hammerspace dock. The next time you are at a dock, you can go to the customize ship menu and switch between all the ships you own. So there's no fear of losing your ship.

In your brand new stolen ship, you kinda have to wait for a while for the engine repairs to kick in so you can actually fly the damn thing. It's a very damaged ship that you just shot the shit out of so you're not going to do much immediately besides fly to the closest dock. It may contain contraband so you might run into the law doing so(happened to be me twice...).

To actually customize and sell the ship - you need to register it. It's a pretty hefty fee, so for a ship worth 20k credits for example - I need to pony up like 17k credits in the first place. So yeah, not much of a payday. Though I heard you can register it from your character/ship menu and it's cheaper than registering it at a dock.

But considering all the twatting about and sifting through menus needed just to sell a ship, I rather just blow them the hell up. Maybe the big Galbank ship might fetch a good price but I'm not going down the piracy route.

Reactions: meiam

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently there are Skyrim shouts in the game. How did it come to this? Does Bethesda have no creativity left that they had to make a game that's Fallout 4 and Skyrim reskinned? Except it has less features than both?

What happened to the cool gore explosions from using Vaat's or just getting good critical hits on enemies? Now you just get a red word that says you crit but it doesn't feel like you crit.

Remember stealing a guards armor and leaving them in nothing but their underwear? Can't do that in this game, wonder why that is?

The magic system is tied to temples that are random so you can't power up your favorite spells you just have to hunt down temples and pray you get what you want, that's cool.

There are only 10 weapon types in the game, and every weapon you find will just be a modified version of one of them. That's cool.

There is only one enemy type in the game, two if you count ships. That's cool.

There are no intelligent aliens in the galaxy. That's super creative for a space game. Nothing says SPACE more than fucking humans and only humans.

You can't kill "important" NPC's even if they are bad guys because the game will force a boss battle with them later. You can however knock them out as much as you want.

The more I learn about this game the worse it gets.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Apparently there are Skyrim shouts in the game. How did it come to this?
Eh, there's nothing inherently wrong with reusing assets.
Does Bethesda have no creativity left that they had to make a game that's Fallout 4 and Skyrim reskinned? Except it has less features than both?

What happened to the cool gore explosions from using Vaat's or just getting good critical hits on enemies? Now you just get a red word that says you crit but it doesn't feel like you crit.
Assuming you mean the Fallout VAT system: first you complain about them ripping things from Fallout then you complain about them not ripping things from Fallout?

Reactions: Ag3ma

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Assuming you mean the Fallout VAT system: first you complain about them ripping things from Fallout then you complain about them not ripping things from Fallout?
I mean I'm just wondering if they were going to reuse things anyway, why not that gameplay feature. Reusing ideas or concepts is perfectly fine. But in a newer game or sequel (which this isn't of course) those concepts should be evolved.

For example why not tie Vat's to certain helmets you find in the world, and different helms could have provided different bonuses for the Vat's system. Maybe some increase Vat's time, uses, or enables Vat's to highlight more vulnerable areas on the enemies. You can tie this in with scanning of wildlife and whatnot to unlock weaknesses on enemies and creatures.

Instead nothing.

In Skyrim you can specifically hunt down the words you want for your favorite shouts. In Starfield it is RNG and you get what you get.

It's not that they are reusing their own systems, it's that they are reusing them in worse ways. You see what I mean?

Even the talent system is dogshit compared to previous systems. In Skyrim your skills level as you use them, allowing you to just get better at doing things in the game as you do them. In Starfield you not only need to invest in a specific perk, but you cannot improve that perk without doing specific challenges related to that perk. Which is taking the Skyrim idea and making it worse.

I'll give you an example of something that pissed me off. I like the lock picking in the game, so I invested in a perk of lockpicking. Then all of a sudden I stopped finding locks I could pick and I needed to upgrade my perk again, ok no big deal, but the game wouldn't let me because I hadn't picked enough locks. Yet I could no longer find locks low level enough for me to pick to do the challenge that would allow me to upgrade the perk to pick better locks effectively locking me out of my lockpicking perk.

The problem isn't that Starfield is just another Bethesda game, the problem is that Starfield is several steps backwards from previous Bethesda games. They've done nothing in this game to expand and flesh out the systems and mechanics that made their other games fun. The public don't react to you, you can't kill NPC's (like you could before even if it forced you to reload a save to continue the game you could still kill them), there is no Vat system, no gore (probably because you fight women and you aren't allowed to blow a woman's head off in modern gaming, and even if you couldn't you could still have bloody chunks spray off the model like mutants in Fallout). Every system present in a previous Bethesda game is done somehow worse than it was before.

In an era of great story driven games, and Bethesda's own history with good quest writing, that's not here. Remember when Mass Effect had you touch an alien artifact and you learn of the coming doom to the planet? Yeah that's not here, there is no big antagonist here, no overarching villain, no real goal to achieve. You gotta get to the center of the universe because if it was good enough for No Man's Sky it's good enough for Starfield I guess. You can join pirate factions but you can't be evil in the game, nor will you get any evil companions, again a system in place from previous Bethesda games not here in the "next gen" game.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Does nobody else see this? Do you not care that your Bethesda epic RPG is a downgraded version of previous games in every single aspect?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
no gore (probably because you fight women and you aren't allowed to blow a woman's head off in modern gaming, and even if you couldn't you could still have bloody chunks spray off the model like mutants in Fallout). [

[...]

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
I mean, maybe you should?

Reactions: MrCalavera

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
probably because you fight women and you aren't allowed to blow a woman's head off in modern gaming,
That's a load of bull. The Last of Us part 2 lets you shoot women in the head just fine. The ones that are literal humans and can fire bullets back at you. RE4R let's go blow heads off of men and women just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's a load of bull. The Last of Us part 2 lets you shoot women in the head just fine. The ones that are little humans and can fire bullets back at you. RE4R let's go to heads off of men and women just fine.
I know I was being facetious. I should have put the /s or something.

Truthfully it's probably because Bethesda couldn't get the physics to work or they just forgot to include that system when they were making 1000 boring planets.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know I was being facetious. I should have put the /s or something.

Truthfully it's probably because Bethesda couldn't get the physics to work or they just forgot to include that system when they were making 1000 boring planets.
Ok then.