Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
F576r-iaUAAKb1s.png

And I think this particular response is a big one. Slay the Spire is the exact thing so many people want to happen for them. A small dev that makes an amazing game that's also a smash hit. Their comments about how their policy only effects a small percentage of people who use Unity (IOW, the very successful ones) are tone deaf because it's putting a tax on being successful and is much harsher for newly successful companies as opposed to established companies.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
View attachment 9653

And I think this particular response is a big one. Slay the Spire is the exact thing so many people want to happen for them. A small dev that makes an amazing game that's also a smash hit. Their comments about how their policy only effects a small percentage of people who use Unity (IOW, the very successful ones) are tone deaf because it's putting a tax on being successful and is much harsher for newly successful companies as opposed to established companies.
This is what I'd call a "corporate hearing test". If Unity doesn't hear this, they won't hear anything and should be abandoned en masse.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
View attachment 9653

Now now there is no need for swearing. But man it sure is funny when you do :D

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
"Maybe our tools can be sold as service?"
"Maybe we can sell ad space in bought media?"
"Maybe we announce "possible" DLC, and then have the customers pay us a monthly fee for the possibility of prepurchasing DLC at a later date?"
"Maybe we sell software with install-limits?"
"Maybe our games need a fresh cipher every start, and we sell them every startup for a variable price online?"
"Maybe we spit into the code, and they need to pay us for us to scrape it off?"
"Maybe we make a online-login-portal mandatory, even though the games use a peer-to-peer connection for multiplayer, and then charge a monthly fee for onlinegaming"
"Maybe we make the gamers sit in a dildo-chair and they have pay a dollar each hour, so the dildo stops(or starts) fucking them?"

When i read about the Unity pricing "idea" yesterday i pretty much couldn't believe it. This scheme is so indefensible, ripe for manipulation from multiple actors and pretty much so stupid... i could not believe an adult business-minded brain could have conceived it (And multiple people looked at it and signed off on it)
Absolutely mental.

So now it's not the publishers or developers... now it's the tool-providers who caught the business-cocaine-based greed brain-rot. This shit startet with the whole cloud-service bullshit, we should have killed them all ten years ago (metaphorically).

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

Apparrently Indie devs are already acting against Unity.
Holy f***ing shit though- they're just gonna delete a whole game from existence?! And a relatively new one at that.
I heard about this Unity thing of course and I though I basically understood what was going on but I just don't understand how you can just delete a game from a store like that, that's freaking crazy.

Edit: Also I really like this game so I guess I'm glad I played it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just don't understand how you can just delete a game from a store like that, that's freaking crazy.
It's to let them know that they mean business. I know that's something that's not easy to do, but you got to like and respect their resolve.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Quick rundown:
  • Splatoon Side Order (Spring 2024): a singleplay campaign dlc
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong (Feb 16): new entry (or remake? Not sure) in the puzzle platformer series
  • PoP The Lost Crown (Jan 18)
  • Horizon Chase 2 (releases today): sequel to arcade racer
  • Super Crazy Rhythm Castle (Nov 14): coop rhythm game
  • SpyxAnya Operation Memories (2024): weeb shit
  • Super Mario RPG (Nov 17)
  • Another Code Recollection (Jan 19): collection of the DS point & click adventure games
  • Princess Peach Showtime (March 22): that Peach game obviously. Platformer with themed transformations
  • Saga Emerald Beyond (2024): new entry in the hardcore jrpg series
  • Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered (Feb 14,): speaks for itself
  • Detective Pikachu Returns (Oct 6): detective adventure game
  • Trombone Champ (releases today): port of the rhythm game
  • Battle Crush (Spring 2024): battle royale hero brawler
  • War Tails (releases today): strategy rpg
  • Contra Operation Galuga (2024): Contra 1 remake
  • Unicorn Overlord (March 8): strategy rpg from Vanillaware
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (Summer 2024): remaster of the 3DS game
  • New amiibos
  • F-Zero 99 (releases today, NSO members only): basically the SNES game as a 99 play battle royale
  • Bandle Tale A League of Legends Story (2024): sorry, heard LoL and zoned out immediately
  • Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story (Nov 1): some kind of coop action adventure game?
  • WarioWare Move It (Nov 3)
  • Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes (Apr 23): spiritual sequel to Suikoden
  • Eastward Octopia dlc (holiday season)
  • Wargroove 2 (Oct 5): followup to fantasy Advance Wars spiritual sequel
  • Dave The Diver (October 26)
  • Mario Kart 8 dlc
  • Among Us dlc
  • Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door remaster (2024)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Way Forward is working on this, so it's going to be good. They did my favorite Contra game: Contra 4.

Last edited:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Rami Ismail, famed indie developer and something of a famous spokesperson, has spoken up about the Unity situation:
Rami Ismail said:
A side-note, there's a story about Unreal & Unity that gets told in game development and enthusiast circles that I think is really worth sharing here in light of Unity's recent debacle.

For context, Unity has a bit of an undeserved "wonky" reputation amongst gamers. Unity (outside of the business nonsense right now) is an extremely capable tool, and many amazing games get made in it. But where many gamers celebrate Unreal, Unity is scorned for its brokenness.

The story goes that this comes down to a single corporate choice.

You see, most players don't quite know what a game is made in unless someone tells them, or if the game tells them. If a game "states" its engine, it's usually in the form of the good ol' splash screen - those screens you try to skip through at the game starting up.

Under Unreal's terms, any game that formally licensed the engine beyond the free edition needed to show the logo splash screen. Under Unity's terms, conversely, any game that used the Free or lower-tier editions need to show the logo screen, but paid versions do not.

Thus people kept seeing the Unreal logo only attached to commercial-grade titles by teams that had funding & experience to afford pro licensing... and the Unity logo only to games made by hobbyists that might not live up to commercial expectations. It's entirely self-inflicted.

Now as with all stories, the truth is a bit more complex than this. Regardless, the story has remained the exact same over the past years, the facts have remained unchanged - and as far as I'm aware, the licensing terms have not changed, not even Unity's.

In this situation, a similar short-sightedness applies: Unity is creating financial uncertainty & arguing that 90% of devs are "safe" -which means their top 10% developers, those who rely on the tool financially- are not, and anyone ambitious to want to reach the 10% is worried.

I'm not sure why you'd ever argue that "don't worry, unless you're successful it won't harm you" for any product meant to grow your work from amateur to professional. You effectively attaching successful use of your product to a worse experience with the product.

Anyway, I thought it was a story worth sharing. I'll continue to monitor what's happening, and for devs who need to talk or who need contacts or who need support, let me know in DMs. I'm obviously not charging consulting fees for quick asks on this one.
My own take is that I considered the idea of charging the developer per install to be inherently absurd, and something one can expect from someone that would try to monetize mods, and it sounds like something that would mean that would-be review-bombers could literally financially ruin the developer instead. But the story linked by Chimpzy claimed that they have tweaked the policy for that reason.

I was also more okay initially with them having a policy that kicks in as soon as you have made a lot of money; Visual Studio Community is free to use commercially unless the enterprise has more than 250 computers or an annual revenue of more than 1 M Dollars, after which they charge a flat monthly fee. But looking at Mr. Ismail's comments makes me think this was a terrible idea.

EDIT: speaking of would-be review-bombers, John Riccitiello just got to experience first hand what loons who are fans of video games are capable of. They canceled a town hall and closed down two offices due to credible death threats.

Death threats have no place in a serious discussion, no matter what one might feel about Mr. Riccitiello's actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So turns out the current CEO of Unity was formerly the CEO of EA, and in 2011 he once proposed an idea to charge players for reloading ammo in shooter games like Battlefield.

That douchebag?! Give it a rest old man! You already got all the money you want. Stop trying to screw everybody over and act like you're some type of corporate genius. Every developer out there that uses Unity, ditch it and move to someplace better.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy