Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
One Piece (Live Action)

English language adaptation of the wildly succesful ongoing manga series by Eichiro Oda. One Piece as a property I've always somewhat admired, but never quite found it in me to actively follow. As a teenager I watched the anime series on German television (which is why I won't entertain any foreign delusions about Ruffy being named Luffy and pronounced "Loofy") where it aired... I think up to the Skypeia plotline, I don't think I remember anything beyond it. I never read the manga and haven't gone out of my way to pick up the anime again, which even as a kid I realized had fairly poor pacing and questionable production values. But I have at least passively kept up because unlike some of the other series from my childhood, I genuinely got into its world and characters.

So, One Piece is set in a world of near endless ocean ruled by a ruthless world government enforcing their hegemony on the seas with an iron fist through a naval armed force called the Marines. Consequentially, almost any independent seafarers are considered pirates, describing both well intentioned adventurers and explorers as well as... well, the regular definition of the term. At his execution Captain Gold Roger, titled "King of the Pirates", announces that he left his accumulated treasure at the unexplored end of a particularly treacherous stretch of ocean called the Grand Line, causing thousands of people to take up piracy and search for Roger's treasure. One Piece follows the adventures of young Monkey D. Ruffy and his crew as they are searching for the titular treasure.

It's at its core a very simple and straight forward adventure story but what makes One Piece a uniquely odd choice for a live action adaptation is that the world and overall style of One Piece is... very eccentric, to say the least. It's sort of a Adam West Batman meets Terry Gilliam approach to an adventure story full of bizarre powers, creatures, places and people. Ruffy acquired Mr. Fantastic style rubber powers after eating a magical fruit as a child, other people throw cannonballs with their bare hands, wield giant swords or can sever and independently control parts of their body.

Translating this kind of material into live action seems like a rather thankless task and following their embarrassing failure to adapt Cowboy Bebop (a much more grounded source material) it was difficult to imagine Netflix succeeding at it. Nevertheless, One Piece mostly does, impressively so. While as far as I'm aware none of the people involved with Cowboy Bebop worked on it, it shows that at least the management has taken some of the right lessons from their mistake. One Piece actually kept the original materials author as a consultant and had faith in the source material rather than trying to turn it into something it isn't. Where there was clearly some executive intention to reimagine Cowboy Bebop as an off brand version of Guardians of the Galaxy, One Piece is perfectly happy being One Piece.

You gotta give the show some credit for sticking to the bit. Almost not a single idiosyncracy, no matter how whimsical, has been streamlined away. Newspapers are still delivered by seagulls in sailor hats, people still use telepathic snails as telephones (and they're actual puppets, too!) and a high ranking officer can show up at a military base wearing a goofy dog hat without getting so much as a sarcastic remark. In other words, it has complete faith that what works in a manga will work just as well in a live action television series.

What One Piece does isn't quite experimental anymore, movies like Scott Pilgrim, Speed Racer or Sucker Punch have certainly paved the way for this kind of nerdy, hyper postmodern, cross media melange, and last year's Everything, Everywhere All at Once has proven that, if presented right, it can do well with critics and audiences. Nevertheless Netflix's One Piece is very exciting for much the same reason the source material is, the sincere and unflinching intention to construct a long form fantasy epic out of all those clashing, if not sometimes downright tacky, ingredients.

What I felt distantly reminded off, and not just because of their shared love for dutch angles, was CW's Gotham. A brave and bold attempt to produce a long running crime drama based on an interpretation of the Batman mythos that was definitely closer to Tim Burton's heightened gothic expressionism than Nolan's realism. Another series that has always had a special place in my heart, deserved or not.

One Piece mostly lives up to its own ambitions of translating its story to a different medium. The actors all have a decent likeness to their drawn alter egos and mostly capture their personalities well. Enthusiastic Captain Monkey D. Ruffy and his crew that'll eventually grow to include sassy navigator Nami, swordsman Lorenor Zoro, cowardly sharpshooter Lysopp and charming chef Sanji have all the chemistry needed to make for a likable adventuring party.

The production values are clearly quite high, with some impeccable sets, costumes and props and appropriate over the top stunt work, the cinematoraphy on the other hand is a mixed bag that doesn't always do it justice. I mentioned before that I had some issues with the overly washed out color grading (which gets better over time) and the over use of wide angle close ups (which doesn't). It has its share of very well executed shots, especially when it comes to framing "iconic" set piece moments but some of the connective tissue inbetween doesn't measure up.

At the end of the day, One Piece is the beginning of something extremely exciting. A day ago I joked that I liked it enough to be preemptively upset for when it'll eventually get cancelled, but at least one more season has already been confirmed. I'm sure manga purists will have their misgivings about the way it condenses the material into something overall a bit more compact but I imagine even those will have to admit that it's clearly a labor of love. To even try, much less pull off, something like this deserves some serious kudos.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im still watching Star Wars Rebels, and I am having a fantastic time.

I came in with basically rock-bottom expectations, because I didn't really like the art style, and I had rarely heard good things about the show, but I have very happily ended up binging three of the four seasons in just a few days.

I think the biggest surprise to me is just how consistently good it is. I've watched The Clone Wars a few times, but that has evolved into a highly curated experience skipping entire episodes/story arcs, and revising the entire episode order. In Rebels, there have been one or two filler episodes across the entire series, but never anything as dull as some of what The Clone Wars put out, and I've never felt the need to skip anything.

With that being said, whilst it is consistently good, it is rarely excellent, and that is where The Clone Wars has Rebels beat. The Clone Wars is packed with more than a few excellent episodes, or great story arcs, whereas Rebels has so far tended to reserve those for the season finales. The season 2 finale was spectacular, but nothing like the Battle of Umbara has showed up half-way through a season.

I also think that a lot of the characters are really well fleshed out, and I like almost all of them. Though some of the characterisation is a bit weird, because the show tells us that a character is/does a thing, but never really shows us. Like how Kanan and Hera are supposed to be in love, but they so rarely show it, or bring it up, to the point where I actively forget that this is supposed to be the case. Or how Sabine was shunned by the rest of the Mandalorians for inventing some deadly weapons for the Empire, which they then used on her own people, but she is like 14 and her being inventive/crafty is not really ever shown to be an aspect of her character.

But overall, im really positive about the show, and it is has helped me get into a massive Star Wars mood. Im super excited to finish off Season 4 this week, so that I can finally hop into Ahsoka.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

I came in with basically rock-bottom expectations, because I didn't really like the art style, and I had rarely heard good things about the show, but I have very happily ended up binging three of the four seasons in just a few days.

I think the biggest surprise to me is just how consistently good it is. I've watched The Clone Wars a few times, but that has evolved into a highly curated experience skipping entire episodes/story arcs, and revising the entire episode order. In Rebels, there have been one or two filler episodes across the entire series, but never anything as dull as some of what The Clone Wars put out, and I've never felt the need to skip anything.

With that being said, whilst it is consistently good, it is rarely excellent, and that is where The Clone Wars has Rebels beat. The Clone Wars is packed with more than a few excellent episodes, or great story arcs, whereas Rebels has so far tended to reserve those for the season finales. The season 2 finale was spectacular, but nothing like the Battle of Umbara has showed up half-way through a season.

I also think that a lot of the characters are really well fleshed out, and I like almost all of them. Though some of the characterisation is a bit weird, because the show tells us that a character is/does a thing, but never really shows us. Like how Kanan and Hera are supposed to be in love, but they so rarely show it, or bring it up, to the point where I actively forget that this is supposed to be the case. Or how Sabine was shunned by the rest of the Mandalorians for inventing some deadly weapons for the Empire, which they then used on her own people, but she is like 14 and her being inventive/crafty is not really ever shown to be an aspect of her character.

But overall, im really positive about the show, and it is has helped me get into a massive Star Wars mood. Im super excited to finish off Season 4 this week, so that I can finally hop into Ahsoka.
I kinda felt like there are a lot of filler episodes in rebels, but my perspective is a bit more critical in that any episode that doesn't have a visual impact on the ark is filler. Thats probably unfair as unlike some other shows pretty much every episode "is" moving the plot forward. It's always going somewhere. Its just that everytime the pirate guy showed up I immediately tuned out. I still like it better than clone wars by a mile. I completely tuned out of Bad Batch late into Season 1. I just couldn't get into that one. Felt like a chore.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I learn that the John Wick Without John Wick show isn't even being made or written or filmed or choreographed by the people who worked on the movies. And to top it off they got as director the lady who made the Rings of Power snoozefest. What even is the point.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I learn that the John Wick Without John Wick show isn't even being made or written or filmed or choreographed by the people who worked on the movies. And to top it off they got as director the lady who made the Rings of Power snoozefest. What even is the point.
Filthy luchre is the answer. But while I agree it’s a risky move, people who are perhaps incompetent in one situation may show great competence in another. I mean I wouldn’t hang by my thumbs for it, but you never know. Miracles do occur after all.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
One Piece (Live Action)

English language adaptation of the wildly succesful ongoing manga series by Eichiro Oda. One Piece as a property I've always somewhat admired, but never quite found it in me to actively follow. As a teenager I watched the anime series on German television (which is why I won't entertain any foreign delusions about Ruffy being named Luffy and pronounced "Loofy") where it aired... I think up to the Skypeia plotline, I don't think I remember anything beyond it. I never read the manga and haven't gone out of my way to pick up the anime again, which even as a kid I realized had fairly poor pacing and questionable production values. But I have at least passively kept up because unlike some of the other series from my childhood, I genuinely got into its world and characters.

So, One Piece is set in a world of near endless ocean ruled by a ruthless world government enforcing their hegemony on the seas with an iron fist through a naval armed force called the Marines. Consequentially, almost any independent seafarers are considered pirates, describing both well intentioned adventurers and explorers as well as... well, the regular definition of the term. At his execution Captain Gold Roger, titled "King of the Pirates", announces that he left his accumulated treasure at the unexplored end of a particularly treacherous stretch of ocean called the Grand Line, causing thousands of people to take up piracy and search for Roger's treasure. One Piece follows the adventures of young Monkey D. Ruffy and his crew as they are searching for the titular treasure.

It's at its core a very simple and straight forward adventure story but what makes One Piece a uniquely odd choice for a live action adaptation is that the world and overall style of One Piece is... very eccentric, to say the least. It's sort of a Adam West Batman meets Terry Gilliam approach to an adventure story full of bizarre powers, creatures, places and people. Ruffy acquired Mr. Fantastic style rubber powers after eating a magical fruit as a child, other people throw cannonballs with their bare hands, wield giant swords or can sever and independently control parts of their body.

Translating this kind of material into live action seems like a rather thankless task and following their embarrassing failure to adapt Cowboy Bebop (a much more grounded source material) it was difficult to imagine Netflix succeeding at it. Nevertheless, One Piece mostly does, impressively so. While as far as I'm aware none of the people involved with Cowboy Bebop worked on it, it shows that at least the management has taken some of the right lessons from their mistake. One Piece actually kept the original materials author as a consultant and had faith in the source material rather than trying to turn it into something it isn't. Where there was clearly some executive intention to reimagine Cowboy Bebop as an off brand version of Guardians of the Galaxy, One Piece is perfectly happy being One Piece.

You gotta give the show some credit for sticking to the bit. Almost not a single idiosyncracy, no matter how whimsical, has been streamlined away. Newspapers are still delivered by seagulls in sailor hats, people still use telepathic snails as telephones (and they're actual puppets, too!) and a high ranking officer can show up at a military base wearing a goofy dog hat without getting so much as a sarcastic remark. In other words, it has complete faith that what works in a manga will work just as well in a live action television series.

What One Piece does isn't quite experimental anymore, movies like Scott Pilgrim, Speed Racer or Sucker Punch have certainly paved the way for this kind of nerdy, hyper postmodern, cross media melange, and last year's Everything, Everywhere All at Once has proven that, if presented right, it can do well with critics and audiences. Nevertheless Netflix's One Piece is very exciting for much the same reason the source material is, the sincere and unflinching intention to construct a long form fantasy epic out of all those clashing, if not sometimes downright tacky, ingredients.

What I felt distantly reminded off, and not just because of their shared love for dutch angles, was CW's Gotham. A brave and bold attempt to produce a long running crime drama based on an interpretation of the Batman mythos that was definitely closer to Tim Burton's heightened gothic expressionism than Nolan's realism. Another series that has always had a special place in my heart, deserved or not.

One Piece mostly lives up to its own ambitions of translating its story to a different medium. The actors all have a decent likeness to their drawn alter egos and mostly capture their personalities well. Enthusiastic Captain Monkey D. Ruffy and his crew that'll eventually grow to include sassy navigator Nami, swordsman Lorenor Zoro, cowardly sharpshooter Lysopp and charming chef Sanji have all the chemistry needed to make for a likable adventuring party.

The production values are clearly quite high, with some impeccable sets, costumes and props and appropriate over the top stunt work, the cinematoraphy on the other hand is a mixed bag that doesn't always do it justice. I mentioned before that I had some issues with the overly washed out color grading (which gets better over time) and the over use of wide angle close ups (which doesn't). It has its share of very well executed shots, especially when it comes to framing "iconic" set piece moments but some of the connective tissue inbetween doesn't measure up.

At the end of the day, One Piece is the beginning of something extremely exciting. A day ago I joked that I liked it enough to be preemptively upset for when it'll eventually get cancelled, but at least one more season has already been confirmed. I'm sure manga purists will have their misgivings about the way it condenses the material into something overall a bit more compact but I imagine even those will have to admit that it's clearly a labor of love. To even try, much less pull off, something like this deserves some serious kudos.
A very good time. Had some emotional highs for me. Many times I was acutely aware of its anime roots. No one shrugs when an officer, as you note, shows up in a puppy hat. But it all worked for me.

I did not know that Mackenyu (Zoro) is the son of Sonny Chiba! I'd have started watching all the earlier if I had!

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Not watched but listened to:

Restart - by BBC radio

(they've put it out most podcast places to download so I'm linking internet archive but you can probably find it on your podcast platform of choice.)

Rating: 3/ 10

Thoughts in a tagline: The most anti-video game radio drama about video games I've ever heard such that it's hilariously awful.

Thoughts:

In brief it's important to understand a brief plot summary:

16 year old Eddie from England plays games online with his best friend Junior from America most nights and weekends. While video chatting and doing video game archaeology on a copy of ET Junior is seemingly taken against his will with the implication he's being taken to a video game rehab facility. Eddie seeing this and with no-one willing to help him seemingly goes to America to try and find and rescue Junior. Oh and there's also a prophecy that if Eddie ever leaves England he'll destroy the world. Cue conspiracies and government cover ups.

So with that synopsis it's funny to then think what the actual audio drama contains as basically every video game linked conspiracy is rolled up and put in some form in this story. Video game mind control devices made by the military? Yep. Games turning people into killers? Yup. People with actual video game addiction stuff such that it causes massive psychological issues for them? yup oh and don't forget the bunk science about video games changing the shape and make up of peoples brains. The villains of the piece aren't villains for peddling false claims and fake science about games, they're villains for experimenting on and killing kids. This kind of should come as no surprise as this is by the creator of another Radio Drama I've dunked on before called Cipher which was mixing together a lot of alien conspiracy theories.

The problem with Restart though is Cipher was so bad in places it was funny, like a Sci-Fi version of Twilight (yes I'm aware the author of Twilight tried to do a Sci-Fi series too but that was more invasion of the body snatchers aliens stuff than Green men in flying saucers) Restart wasn't funny, it was just kind of bad and seemingly written by some-one with a cursory knowledge of video games.

So what do I mean cursory knowledge? Well they name drop a few well known games but focus a lot on ET but weirdly have to change history rather than you know use elements of reality. For example the show creates a fictional female game designer called Hilly Moscowitz who worked at Atari and was one of the first female game developers who actually was the one to make ET...............I mean really? Carol Shaw was right there at Atari who made the revolutionary River Run game which would have oddly fitted in better in this thing and no erased the achievement of a real woman developer but hey it's modern year so why would I expect actual talk about diversity when instead the show can make up some crap instead and pretend that Sexism at Atari and from the male developers was why Atari ended up bad because n-one with help her work on the game......... no really that's a plot point.

As for being anti video game along with what I pointed out are supposed news stories of a guy who thought he was playing GTA and went on a killing spree and linking the airline ground crew worker who stole a plane and then crashed it from about 2018 to him actually being delusional due to playing too many flight sim video games and telling air traffic control it's ok he knows what to do because video games so it's all going to be fine.

Oh and it ends on a To be continued after a kind of "and everything went back to normal" ending.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Filthy luchre is the answer. But while I agree it’s a risky move, people who are perhaps incompetent in one situation may show great competence in another. I mean I wouldn’t hang by my thumbs for it, but you never know. Miracles do occur after all.
Boo I say!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Winning Time: Rise of the Lakers (Season 2)

I quite liked the first season. I had no idea season two was out until the night the finale aired, and once it did a few minutes later HBO was officially cancelling the show. What a bummer. Couldn't even be bothered to promote the thing.

Watching season two, three episodes in something feels like it's missing. It's a shorter season (7 episodes instead of 10) and things feel definitely rushed. Not just in terms of pacing but focus as well. Show can't seem to decide what's the angle of the story and keeps bouncing around all these things that seem to come out of the blue and resolve before you even realize how important they were supposed to be.

Episode 1 ends with the kinda rousing moment of Magic's dad firing his lawyer. But the show never established any kind of animosity between them, nor did I get the impression the lawyer was giving anything but sensible advice (the whole episode deals with Magic fathering a kid out of wedlock). Or how about Dr. Jerry Buss who 1) gives his kids their own franchises then 2) suddenly and angrily berates them for being losers in their next scene, even though nothing was shown or said to establish that they are (or that he would think of them as such). What did I miss?

Reactions: gorfias

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
One Piece Netflix

I'll say this. I "enjoyed" it. I don't personally care about the One Piece source material, I've never managed to sit through a whole episode because of the repetitive animation and meandering pace, but I was curious to see how good or bad this was gonna be.

The show is not quite bonkers, it's like bonkers took its ritalin and is trying to hold a steady job. The show is largely held up a sense of "fun" and quality dialog. Generally speaking you like everybody here. More importantly even the main primary antagonist is forcefully empathic, it's impressive the way you don't agree with his point of view but he's so well acted you like him. There's a enough intrigue and likeable characters that it's engaging. Unironically it does have that vibe of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie where it's shallow, but you are grudging having too much fun to shut it off.

I actually sorta disagree with the media's assertion that this is somehow grossly different than the Cowboy bebop adaption. I think it's the same shit, but it's that the source material actually propels it into being so wacky that it works stylistically where as Cowboy bebop was meant to be more of a drama and so the wackniess of the adaptation was tonally inconsistent.

I did not however THOROUGHLY enjoy it. I don't really care for the lead actor so much. He feels more like he's cosplaying than acting, where as the rest of the cast all feel like they are genuinely living in this world. The action is more Power rangers than any kind of action choreography. Similar the camera work at those times shares the same commonality with annoying badly angled zoom cuts that make it often look like cheap japanese action TV shows youd see on basic cable. There's this really way too long, tiresome battle with a guy who "moves so fast you can't see him", on screen though this is just rapid cuts to people confusedly panning a room while he taunts them. This goes on for like 10+ minutes.

I do not like the Usopp character. he's supposed to be so cringey it's funny, but I just find him tiresome. No amount of upgraded character stats or redemptive arc is going to change that I think.

Complaints aside I'd give it an 8/10. I have to applaud them having an actual ending. If Netflix ends up canceling this after one season I'm not gonna throw myself around the room in frustration. It wasn't like an "ENDING" per say, but it finished the arc's presented at the start of the story. It was like "and now were off to do pirating shit". I hope that trends continues until they inevitably cancel the series.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Small point of fact, Sabine is 16 during the show's run. It's nice to see another fan of Rebels, though. I agree that Clone Wars highs were generally better, but I still don't think any Star Wars media has had a villain as good as Thrawn.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm re-watching Farscape, and this show is kinky as fuck. Like its not just me, right? We're all seeing that Australia's fledgling BDSM scene was basically pillaged for plot and costumes and paraded across prime time television at the turn of the millennium. I mean its sill legit great sci-fi with great designs for everything and everyone, and it definitely marched to the beat of its own gimp carried drum.
I've seen one episode of Lexx and that was my take-home from that too. Or maybe I was watching Farscape. There was a giant woman sort of straddling a space rocket.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've seen one episode of Lexx and that was my take-home from that too. Or maybe I was watching Farscape. There was a giant woman sort of straddling a space rocket.
That one was Lexx. And yeah that one was weird as shit too, but didn’t quite have the solid sci-fi story to carry its weirdness.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Mr Inbetween. Following a sort of criminal enforcer guy around in a show that's mostly loosely related scenes of the guy hurting people, but it seems to work well enough. I'd be pushed to say there's a plot as such, but maybe that's a metaphor for something.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
After finishing the final season of Rebels, I am now all caught up with Ahsoka. And so far, I am enjoying it.

But with that said, I feel like a very large amount of my enjoyment stems from the fact that I have done my Star Wars homework, and I have watched all of The Clone Wars, and I have watched all of Rebels. I cant really imagine anyone who hasn't watched either of these shows really "getting it". Im not saying that this show is somehow "super sophisticated and complex", or "normies wont get it" or whatever, but this show basically relies on your understanding/appreciation of these other shows, for you to really buy into the emotional payoff of finding Ezra, or understanding why Thrawn is such a massive threat. And so far, I don't think Ahsoka has really done a great job of bringing everyone else up to speed.

From what I understand of the future of these Star Wars shows (Ahsoka, Mando, etc) is that these will eventually culminate in a movie, presumably with Thrawn as the primary antagonist, and they have gone ahead and made Star Wars Rebels into essential viewing, which is a show that the average moviegoer will just see as a kiddy show for children.

As a Star Wars nerd who has done their homework, I can definitely appreciate what they are doing. But considering that 99% of your average Star Wars fans wont even consider watching Rebels, and probably dont even know that it exists, I think that hinging the future of your corner of the Star Wars galaxy on a character from some 90's Star Wars Legends books, or a character from a kids cartoon, is pretty brave to say the least.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think that hinging the future of your corner of the Star Wars galaxy on a character from some 90's Star Wars Legends books
Which is weird, considering Disney went above and beyond to make all the Legends books non-canon. I am no hyper defender of those, but it's hypocritical coming from Disney. Granted, whoever is doing Ahsoka uses ideas better here, and whatever the fuck JJ and Disney were doing with Rise of the Skywalker. That's what I am hearing right now. I have not seen Ahsoka.