Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Recommend away, for me and others in the thread. Though, can't guarantee I'll watch it any time soon, but that's what bookmarks are for.
The Monument Mythos

Kind of a Analog Horror/Manufactured conspiracy Alt History. Basic premise is that famous US monuments(such as the statue of liberty) are hiding terrifying secrets inside them and the US Government is probably keeping it under wraps(I say probably but there's hints the general public is aware of some of this stuff). Also James Dean(the actor) didn't die in a Car Crash and becomes the US President in 1968 just because how cool he was.

Has 3 complete seasons(4th just started) and a spin off series called The Nixonverse. Most episodes are less then 10 minutes long(though there's a couple long ones in there). It looks retro a lot and it's implied computer and camera technology is a bit behind our universe by decades. Partially meant to justify the fact the creator doesn't have a ton of budget for the SFX.

I've been digging it a lot.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Monument Mythos

Kind of a Analog Horror/Manufactured conspiracy Alt History. Basic premise is that famous US monuments(such as the statue of liberty) are hiding terrifying secrets inside them and the US Government is probably keeping it under wraps(I say probably but there's hints the general public is aware of some of this stuff). Also James Dean didn't die in a Car Crash and becomes the US President in 1968 just because how cool he was.

Has 3 complete seasons(4th just started) and a spin off series called The Nixonverse. Most episodes are less then 10 minutes long(though there's a couple long ones in there). It looks retro a lot and it's implied computer and camera technology is a bit behind our universe by decades. Partially meant to justify the fact the creator doesn't have a ton of budget for the SFX.

I've been digging it a lot.
Ah, had come across that one already (it's on the tvtropes page for analog horror), and had decided to give that a go next, but hadn't yet.

Thanks for the additional recommendation, though.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I greatly enjoyed the latest episode of Ahsoka. Dave Filoni is such a unashamed weeb.
I was iffy for the first two episodes but I think the show is starting to hit stride.

And watching Hera just take the Ghost out because "I'm a rebel" is what I was waiting for. Watching her attend staff meetings was pretty boring and I get the feeling she rather resents it.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if she's tried to get herself demoted just so she can go out adventuring and not have to go to boring staff meetings anymore.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
One Piece Season 1 E1&2 Netflix.
So far, fantastic. Greatly enjoyable anime adaptation full of joy, character, action, special effects and crazy stuff including adult level violence. Eccentric gang looking for treasure. And I hear it is only going to get better.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I'd quite like to watch Ahsoka, but it really looks like Rebels Season 5, and I've never watched Rebels, so im doing just that.

And so far, its pretty decent. Very kiddy though, which isn't unexpected.

Just a couple of tangential discussion points though:

First of all, whilst I think that Steve Blum is a really talented voice actor, he does have a really distinctive voice, and he does a lot of additional voices for random storm troopers etc. Whenever one shows up, it is immediately noticeable, and really quite distracting.

Secondly, I just get the feeling like Star Wars is offered completely different allowances compared to literally any other franchise, when it comes to age ratings. Star Wars Rebels is rated 6+ according to Disney+, and people are very obviously being shot/exploded. If Star Wars Rebels (or especially Clone Wars, for that matter) wasn't a Star Wars show, this would easily be a 12+.

Reactions: thebobmaster

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
King of the Rocketmen (1949)

Something of a misleading title, as there is only one Rocketman, though his surname is king.

Like most serials of this era, there's lots of pointless fistfights (in the old days, stunt performers really had to go for it), stock footage, and pointless filler. Gets a bit monotonous as they run out of cool things to do and just end up spinning their wheels, if you were to miss an ep or two in the middle it'd make no difference. Main henchman and hero fight each other at the end of each episode, then both get away unscathed for the next time.

Nominally, this is the first of the Commando Cody serials, in that they re-used the Rocketman suit (and footage of the Rocketman) for those, despite the characters being different. Apparently "Commander Cody" from Attack of the Clones is a reference.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I haven't seen the show myself, but I did watch this review. I'll trust Simmons on this one and skip the reboot. It sounds too narrow and scope, every episode just seems to be your average run of the mill cartoon for kids, that just happens to put Tiny Toons characters in it. It's like HBO Max and Cartoon Network just rebooted this, because Hulu has the rights to the Animaniacs reboot

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Foundation

Please tell me someone else watches this absolute bonkers beautiful show. Last night we started season 2 and watched one episode (I don't think I can handle more than one at a time) and was reminded that this is by far the freaking dorkiest show ever on TV.

Like... math is a central thing? Literally a guy has to do match to save the galaxy sometimes, lol. And you have genetic cloning stuff and time paradoxes and cryogenic freezing and planets... omg, this show couldn't get laid at a cheap brothel.

I don't know if this show is good, per se, but it's... it's a vibe, man. It is like Raised By Wolves, another show that went for it, in all its singular freakiness. I for one am glad these things get made somehow.

This is a weirdo dorky space show based on books by Isaac Asimov with high production values and I don't know why it's not the #1 discussed show on the internet. As usual, I will just blame Disney.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Massive hot take here, but last nights episode of Asoka gave me literal gooseberries. Like hair standing on end. My biggest thought was "FUCKING FINALLY, THIS IS STAR WARS". By that I mean it was felt beautiful and original.

This is the big Anakin episode with actual HC. You would think like "Uh its gonna be dopey nostalgia berry groan worthy bullshit." . I am that guy who says those things, but no. I never once felt like it was pawing at me to cry and shake a light sabre. While I don't want to spoil anything it was a very opaque and gorgeous interlude between Anakin and Asoka that fashioned itself in such a way that the meaning in the dialog and story is kinda left up to the viewer. It wasn't Anakin showing to do exposition.

Regardless of the context the episode was downright eyepopping, like I woulda have preferred to watch it in theaters. One thing I hear a lot of critics say is that you can throw all logic and plotholes out the window and just enjoy watching Star Wars, like good dialog and writing just don't have to matter cause pretty colors. Moviebob once said "Star Wars is just space wizard fantasy for kids". I hate that, drives me insane actually that Critics are allowed to forgive shitting writting because something entertained them for two hours.

I think however, this last episode is finally an example where the pacing, writing and visuals entranced me so much that I never found myself concerned with problems I normally take in recent star wars media.

I highly recommend, even if you're only vaguely following Asoka to check out episode 5. It's kinda like that Rebels season 2 finale with vader or what have you. It's got meat to it and is worth enjoying on its own. I also want to point out, I'm not sure I'm crazy, but the visuals here are more reminiscent of old star wars production. The spaceships and what not felt like they had weight to them and werent just a CGI effect.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'd quite like to watch Ahsoka, but it really looks like Rebels Season 5, and I've never watched Rebels, so im doing just that.

And so far, its pretty decent. Very kiddy though, which isn't unexpected.

Just a couple of tangential discussion points though:

First of all, whilst I think that Steve Blum is a really talented voice actor, he does have a really distinctive voice, and he does a lot of additional voices for random storm troopers etc. Whenever one shows up, it is immediately noticeable, and really quite distracting.

Secondly, I just get the feeling like Star Wars is offered completely different allowances compared to literally any other franchise, when it comes to age ratings. Star Wars Rebels is rated 6+ according to Disney+, and people are very obviously being shot/exploded. If Star Wars Rebels (or especially Clone Wars, for that matter) wasn't a Star Wars show, this would easily be a 12+.
Rebels is generally more "kiddy" but has some dark bits, especially as it goes on. Like there's a bit where some of the minor characters get straight up executed and the only concession is that the camera isn't pointing at them at the time. But it's really fucking obvious what just happened.

Also Chopper is socipathic droid with PTSD which is new.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Rebels is generally more "kiddy" but has some dark bits, especially as it goes on. Like there's a bit where some of the minor characters get straight up executed and the only concession is that the camera isn't pointing at them at the time. But it's really fucking obvious what just happened.

And Chopper has the mouth of a sailor, if you listen carefully.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Chopper needed spacing and then shot.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Foundation

Please tell me someone else watches this absolute bonkers beautiful show. Last night we started season 2 and watched one episode (I don't think I can handle more than one at a time) and was reminded that this is by far the freaking dorkiest show ever on TV.

Like... math is a central thing? Literally a guy has to do match to save the galaxy sometimes, lol. And you have genetic cloning stuff and time paradoxes and cryogenic freezing and planets... omg, this show couldn't get laid at a cheap brothel.

I don't know if this show is good, per se, but it's... it's a vibe, man. It is like Raised By Wolves, another show that went for it, in all its singular freakiness. I for one am glad these things get made somehow.

This is a weirdo dorky space show based on books by Isaac Asimov with high production values and I don't know why it's not the #1 discussed show on the internet. As usual, I will just blame Disney.
I watched the first series and liked it, though I don't have Apple TV now to watch the second. The time skips work well given the nature of Genetic Dynasty, but are nevertheless confusing. Lee Pace is excellent in most things.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Chopper needed spacing and then shot.
Chopper canonically sucked a platoon of stormtroopers out an airlock.

Not sure if that's incredibly scary or incredibly based. I mean, getting blown out an airlock is an awful way to die, but those stormtroopers probably firebombed a kindergarten offscreen or something.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Listem I'm not even a talking heads fan but whenever it starts i never know how to stop stop making sense.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm re-watching Farscape, and this show is kinky as fuck. Like its not just me, right? We're all seeing that Australia's fledgling BDSM scene was basically pillaged for plot and costumes and paraded across prime time television at the turn of the millennium. I mean its sill legit great sci-fi with great designs for everything and everyone, and it definitely marched to the beat of its own gimp carried drum.