Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Which is weird, considering Disney went above and beyond to make all the Legends books non-canon. I am no hyper defender of those, but it's hypocritical coming from Disney.
To be clear, Thrawn was first introduced, or at least popularised (im no expert of Legends era Star Wars) in a trilogy of books written by Timothy Zahn in the 90's.

As you say, Disney decided to completely scrap basically all Star Wars lore that wasn't a movie, or The Clone Wars, when they purchased the franchise.

Thrawn was reintroduced into Star Wars canon in Rebels season 3, and has since then had 6 canon books released about him (again, from Timothy Zahn), since 2017.

Again, pretty bold of Dave Filoni to reintroduce a classic Extended Universe villain into Star Wars canon via his Disney Channel cartoon.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Again, pretty bold of Dave Filoni to reintroduce a classic Extended Universe villain into Star Wars canon via his Disney Channel cartoon.
Rebels was kinda sprinkled with old EU stuff, tho aside from Thrawn is was mostly limited to planet names, small cameos, and the occasional borrowed concept. Tho he's not the only Star Wars showrunner to do so (eg Dark Troopers in Mando s2). Most prolific by far tho.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Foundation season 2 (watched with SO)

I just kinda love these nerdy kinda good kinda weird kinda bad sci-fi shows. This is a sub-genre I call "Raised By Wolves." This season seemed to focus a lot on the antagonist faction of the empire, and it continues to be hurt by overly somber kinda bland heroes. But it's all rather engaging 'cause there's nothing quite like it.

Death Note (anime)

Watched it 'cause it's pretty famous and beloved and I have come to be able to accept anime. It was pretty cool- good look, good soundtrack, cool plot that is really just a classic cat-and-mouse thriller but with fantasy anime mumbo-jumbo trappings. It did seem to drag out as 2/3 of the way in there's a recap episode and a new antagonist which feels very much a product of it being an adaptation of a manga and one or both got dragged out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watching Winning Time Rise of the Lakers season 2 and I (finally) learn Norman Nixon is played by none other than the real life dude's son, DeVaughn Nixon (who was also Dyson's kid in T2!). Great casting obviously. But then show Norman meets his future wife Debbie Allen (from Fame!), played by a pitch-perfect lookalike, and they do a sexy dance. And now I'm thinking... this dude, playing his own father, has to act like he has the hots for a young hawt version of his sex symbol mom. That's some McFly shit.

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Winning Time. What a depressing, incoherent ending, for a show about The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty to fizzle out with them losing the 1984 finals to the Celtics. And the last time you see Magic Johnson is him crying on the shower floor of a raggedy locker room.

Then we somehow cut to "5 days later", with Buss & daughter randomly celebrating the fact that they own the Lakers at all, and how everything "will be just fine". Cut to photo stills of the cast with a few lines of text letting us know of all the great things they went on to achieve. What an anticlimax.

Evidently the people running the show learnt the show wasn't getting renewed until AFTER wrapping up production, so they threw in the Buss scene and the ending montage to kinda try to give people closure on all the character drama. And after all the buildup and all the clashes and all the development... it really does not make for a satisfying finale.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Newsroom:

Aaron Sorkin turns his discerning centre liberal eyes and pen from Government to News Media, once again making no bones about how he feels about how these institutions should be run and their people should act.

For the most part the show is pretty good (if you lean that way) and if nothing else, well, Will McAvoy’s (Jeff Daniels) by now infamous rant from the first episode has had considerable staying power.

Here’s the scene in question, just bear in mind it’s from 10 years ago.

The shows got some real powerhouse stars; Jeff Daniels obviously but big props also go to Emily Mortimer, Olivia Munn, David Harbour and Sam Waterson, who’s character is probably meant to be the now old and cranky version of a Newsman left over from Walter Cronkite’s era. Also, I can’t decide if Jane Fonda being cast as a media tycoon is irony or not. Most of the younger cast are pretty good too, but once again Allison Pill is the weak link.

Which incidentally moves me to what I think is in hindsight kind of baffling about Newsroom compared to The West Wing. The characters in Newsroom, all things being equal, if they were real would be intellectual giants compared to my if they were as genuinely smart as they’re written to be. Which is why I find their interpersonal scenes so weird because they all, except Waterson, act like they’re 12 or 13. I get people have foibles and just because we’re adults doesn’t meant we’re grown up, but Allison Pill’s character Maggie makes screw ups of such frequency and not inconsiderable magnitude that her continued presence is baffling on a show with this level of assumed verisimilitude.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finished Winning Time. What a depressing, incoherent ending, for a show about The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty to fizzle out with them losing the 1984 finals to the Celtics. And the last time you see Magic Johnson is him crying on the shower floor of a raggedy locker room.

Then we somehow cut to "5 days later", with Buss & daughter randomly celebrating the fact that they own the Lakers at all, and how everything "will be just fine". Cut to photo stills of the cast with a few lines of text letting us know of all the great things they went on to achieve. What an anticlimax.

Evidently the people running the show learnt the show wasn't getting renewed until AFTER wrapping up production, so they threw in the Buss scene and the ending montage to kinda try to give people closure on all the character drama. And after all the buildup and all the clashes and all the development... it really does not make for a satisfying finale.
Wife and I started watching season 2 last night coincidentally, despite me knowing that the show got canceled so I'm expecting an "unsatisfying" ending.

But this is one of those shows that is just such a joy to watch- maximum entertainment. I grew up a Knicks fan so I have no emotional investment in the story other than obviously admiring the talent and performance of the star athletes. But now that I live in Boston, the opening scene of the Celtics fan rioting at the Lakers just filled me with glee. Ah.. Boston.

I dunno how much of the story is real or if it makes sense, just every scene is so damn fun. Whether it's John C. Reilley being a crap dad or the hyper-real basketball editing or Jason Seagal explaining his systems and even the part of a show that would normally bore me- the family drama around Johnson- is compelling because of that cast.

I still think this show wouldn't work for anyone that doesn't have some knowledge or interest in the sport or history, but even if one basically knows who Magic Johnson was and why he was a big deal, would get a kick out of this show.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Newsroom:

Aaron Sorkin turns his discerning centre liberal eyes and pen from Government to News Media, one again making no bones about how he feels about how these institutions should be run and their people should act.

For the most part the show is pretty good (if you lean that way) and if nothing else, well, Will McAvoy’s (Jeff Daniels) by now infamous rant from the first episode has had considerable staying power.

Here’s the scene in question, just bear in mind it’s from 10 years ago.

The shows got some real powerhouse stars; Jeff Daniels obviously but big props also go to Emily Mortimer, Olivia Munn, David Harbour and Sam Waterson, who’s character is probably meant to be the now old and cranky version of a Newsman left over from Walter Cronkite’s era. Also, I can’t decide if Jane Fonda being cast as a media tycoon is irony or not. Most of the younger cast are pretty good too, but once again Allison Pill is the weak link.

Which incidentally moves me to what I think is in hindsight kind of baffling about Newsroom compared to The West Wing. The characters in Newsroom, all things being equal, if they were real would be intellectual giants compared to my if they were as genuinely smart as they’re written to be. Which is why I find their interpersonal scenes so weird because they all, except Waterson, act like they’re 12 or 13. I get people have foibles and just because we’re adults doesn’t meant we’re grown up, but Allison Pill’s character Maggie makes screw ups of such frequency and not inconsiderable magnitude that her continued presence is baffling on a show with this level of assumed verisimilitude.

Oh man... I HATED this show lol.
I remember when that first episode came out and that rant went viral (I was still on Facebook at the time) and all my liberal acquaintances were creaming themselves and I- you know, pretty liberal?- was grossed out. I mean this f'n dude condescending to the youngs, so smarmy. But then I never got into the West Wing either.

The Venn diagram between people I knew who loved this rant and who got really mad at me (I mean really mad not just polite disagreement) for supporting Bernie Sanders in 2016 was a complete circle. And no I'm not the Che Guevera t-shirt wearting college freshman going around annoying everyone with my politics, I swear, they came at me, y'all. It was wild.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh man... I HATED this show lol.
I remember when that first episode came out and that rant went viral (I was still on Facebook at the time) and all my liberal acquaintances were creaming themselves and I- you know, pretty liberal?- was grossed out. I mean this f'n dude condescending to the youngs, so smarmy. But then I never got into the West Wing either.

The Venn diagram between people I knew who loved this rant and who got really mad at me (I mean really mad not just polite disagreement) for supporting Bernie Sanders in 2016 was a complete circle. And no I'm not the Che Guevera t-shirt wearting college freshman going around annoying everyone with my politics, I swear, they came at me, y'all. It was wild.
Watching stuff like The Newsroom is fun for me from a dialogue and job procedural perspective, but some of the framing is truly just ‘American’. Like the question itself “Why do you think America is the greatest country in the world?” then and now blows my mind a little. I cannot fathom anyone from any other modern country asking it about their own. Conversely while I’ll never truly understand it, it’s much easier for me to appreciate the unique way the episode 5th of the 1st - reporting the successful killing of Osama Bin Laden - resonates with the characters who are all from New York, or United Airlines.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wife and I started watching season 2 last night coincidentally, despite me knowing that the show got canceled so I'm expecting an "unsatisfying" ending.

But this is one of those shows that is just such a joy to watch- maximum entertainment. I grew up a Knicks fan so I have no emotional investment in the story other than obviously admiring the talent and performance of the star athletes. But now that I live in Boston, the opening scene of the Celtics fan rioting at the Lakers just filled me with glee. Ah.. Boston.

I dunno how much of the story is real or if it makes sense, just every scene is so damn fun. Whether it's John C. Reilley being a crap dad or the hyper-real basketball editing or Jason Seagal explaining his systems and even the part of a show that would normally bore me- the family drama around Johnson- is compelling because of that cast.

I still think this show wouldn't work for anyone that doesn't have some knowledge or interest in the sport or history, but even if one basically knows who Magic Johnson was and why he was a big deal, would get a kick out of this show.
Show was a lot of fun and I'm going to miss the hell out of it. And I say that as someone who didn't know who Magic Johnson was when I started watching. No, not even the HIV thing. Just that he was 1980s Jordan (and I know Jordan from Space Jam). I don't know why my mind went to vehicular manslaughter when the show opened with Magic getting some kind of terrible news and his publicist crying. News to me.

I can tank depressing endings (i.e. Succession). But it's doubly unsatisfying that all these characters went on to achieve so much success in real life, while the show ends on a downer moment. Compared to all the things they'd done and would go on to do it feels arbitrary as hell. But of course that's because of the cancellation. Story is just left incomplete. And I'm going to miss all the characters, especially Pat Riley and Jerry West. I don't care how true to life they really were.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fan film series with real deal actors, Star Trek Continues. On they're own youtube channel.
Fan films that include genuine stars and do a bang up, 11 episodes at around 50 min. that feel like genuine OG Star Trek had the series not been canceled so they could have continued their 5 year mission to explore strange new worlds.
I'd want good immitations of og actor/characters and you don't get that much here. Kirk is good. Spock is horrible as is nearly everyone else. I think Scotty is played by one of the OG's relatives.
1st episode includes the aged actor that played Apollo in the OG returning to this role! Then we get Lou Ferrigno, the TV Hulk! returned in green playing a male counterpart to the green slave girl we know from the OG series.
This feels like 1960s Trek and I had a blast watching it. I have no illusions that this would meet a modern audience sensiblities. But for fans? This has just been amazing.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Finally got around to it, but George Simenon's Maigret, played by Rowan Atkinson. I knew he was an excellent actor, but he was absolutely brilliant in this role, if perhaps a little too melancholy. Granted, it's a British small screen production so everyone speaks with some variety of English accent despite the French setting, but I guess I'm inured to this convention. Still, having only seen the first one so far, can't judge it completely, though it looks like it'll be the first TV series I finish watching in 2023.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Finally got around to it, but George Simenon's Maigret, played by Rowan Atkinson. I knew he was an excellent actor, but he was absolutely brilliant in this role, if perhaps a little too melancholy. Granted, it's a British small screen production so everyone speaks with some variety of English accent despite the French setting, but I guess I'm inured to this convention. Still, having only seen the first one so far, can't judge it completely, though it looks like it'll be the first TV series I finish watching in 2023.
Maigret took me by surprise when I watched it, and it was so hard to divorce Atkinson from Black Adder. But he is incredible in the role.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Good to know One Piece Live-Action is actually good. I am not seeing it, but I am glad the fans got something good.

Yeah, I don't know much about One Piece other then some of the basics about the Devil Fruit and the world(which is kinda interesting in concept) but so far I'm enjoying it. it's Silly but it embraces the silly and moves at a pretty good pace(which is one of the reason I couldn't get into the anime).

I've only watched the first two episodes but I'm in for the long haul at least for now.

I do agree with Honest Trailers that Monkey doesn't seem to quite understand what a "Pirate" is other then he thinks it sounds really cool. It's like he's thinking "Sailor" but the word he knows is "PIrate" so he keeps using that term and he refuses to pay any attention to anyone who tries to correct him.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I don't know much about One Piece other then some of the basics about the Devil Fruit and the world(which is kinda interesting in concept) but so far I'm enjoying it. it's Silly but it embraces the silly and moves at a pretty good pace(which is one of the reason I couldn't get into the anime).

I've only watched the first two episodes but I'm in for the long haul at least for now.

I do agree with Honest Trailers that Monkey doesn't seem to quite understand what a "Pirate" is other then he thinks it sounds really cool. It's like he's thinking "Sailor" but the word he knows is "PIrate" so he keeps using that term and he refuses to pay any attention to anyone who tries to correct him.
Glad you're enjoying the show! I am currently watching Castlevania Nocturne.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Mr Inbetween. Following a sort of criminal enforcer guy around in a show that's mostly loosely related scenes of the guy hurting people, but it seems to work well enough. I'd be pushed to say there's a plot as such, but maybe that's a metaphor for something.
I've finished this and I can recommend it.