Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
6 has a lot of tech that you don't see but rather that is referenced. The whole magitec soldier stuff is pretty damn advanced, more so than the mechsuits, which granted are also up there compared to some other games like 3.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
6 literally starts with you pioleting robot mech suits lol

And 12 is filled with crazy ships and flying motorcycles.
Well I did say I checked out of 12 early lol. All I remember is an annoying thief in and I think a sewer level?

And yes, but the 6 was magic/steampunk powered. As opposed to say, 4 with the full on alien moon tech robot giant shooting lasers.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Well I did say I checked out of 12 early lol. All I remember is an annoying thief in and I think a sewer level?
The game's opening is rather bland and easy to forget, heck, I'd say pretty much anything about it's brown bland world is easy to forget, it's a game with a story that... well.. stories with people around from one point to the other.

A jolt to your memory circuits, here's the game's opening, with all it's mechanical techy marvel;

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The game's opening is rather bland and easy to forget, heck, I'd say pretty much anything about it's brown bland world is easy to forget, it's a game with a story that... well.. stories with people around from one point to the other.

A jolt to your memory circuits, here's the game's opening, with all it's mechanical techy marvel;
TBF, most of that does stick in the steampunk/medieval stuff except the hologram table and the dropship carrier things. Like 90% of it is dudes in regular armour and mounted chocobos and wagons lol. So I'm not surprised my hazy over a decade memory forgot the occasional dribbles (though it probably amps up later)

Where you generally have Medieval/Feudal Fantasy, then Renaissance esque Fantasy (which often incorpoates Steampunk technology)
Then the dividiing line proper would usually be the Industrialization Era, which isn't usually used as a setting itself, but its the idea that the technology is mass produced and widespread. Not handcrafted or highly limited to specific magic.
The you go on into the Space Age, and then actual Sci-fi/sci-fantasy

(Then there's a handful of weird exceptions, like Might and Magic, which has aliens and such, but they're anomalies within the fantasy world and generally fill in what would otherwise be demons/devils/gods etc). And their technology never becomes widespread (in most it was a sidegrade at best in the endgame to magic stuff)

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Apparently we're getting some costumes too, neat.

As for dlc, seeing Leviathan, maybe playing as young Cid or something, would be awesome. And maybe seeing some of Clive's life as a soldier or something. And hey, since they did the asura's wrath thing already, why not go all the way and package the true ending as a dlc you have to buy! :p

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well we talked about it but the reason he's gonna try FF16 is because I literally handed him my physical copy of the game, I don't have that for those two.
I wanted to get back to you on that, how was their reaction to the opening hours of the game?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Apparently we're getting some costumes too, neat.

As for dlc, seeing Leviathan, maybe playing as young Cid or something, would be awesome. And maybe seeing some of Clive's life as a soldier or something. And hey, since they did the asura's wrath thing already, why not go all the way and package the true ending as a dlc you have to buy! :p
After having finished the story I'm not quite interested anymore in backstories or gapfillers.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
After having finished the story I'm not quite interested anymore in backstories or gapfillers.
Yeah the Asura's Wrath ending is more like an alternate retelling where the final battle transpires differently and then there's more game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gaming Brit with a long video.

After seeing the review, GB's pretty fair to the game, but he doesn't see himself playing it multiple times. I didn't appreciate the unnecessary jab at Bayo3's monster set pieces (I know they're hit or miss), but I can only assume FFXVI's is more polished overall. Which is fair, but XVI is literally taking from Asura's Wrath anyway. GB still prefers the combat when you're just human Clive taking on the giant sized bosses.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I wanted to get back to you on that, how was their [sister's partner] reaction to the opening hours of the game?
When I asked my sister a couple of weeks ago he said he was loving the hell out of it.
She actually texted me when he started the game and she was in the room and she watched the opening, about how "wow I did not expect a whole movie." But she doesn't play, she is just seeing him enjoying it. I don't know how far into he got. I'll be more curious when he gets towards the end, the point in the game where I felt that its charms started to get overshadowed by its weaknesses.

Also worth pointing out is he does not get new games, he's the dude that replays Skyrim and grabs stuff on sale, nor is he interested in super hard games (I tease him and any PlayStation owner for not trying Bloodborne). So I can imagine how the game looks to someone that hasn't been playing your Horizon Spider-Gods of Tsushimas.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
. I'll be more curious when he gets towards the end, the point in the game where I felt that its charms started to get overshadowed by its weaknesses.
Let me know whenever he does.

Also worth pointing out is he does not get new games, he's the dude that replays Skyrim and grabs stuff on sale, nor is he interested in super hard games (I tease him and any PlayStation owner for not trying Bloodborne). So I can imagine how the game looks to someone that hasn't been playing your Horizon Spider-Gods of Tsushimas.
Does he like horror by any chance? If so, then I got plenty to recommend he can get on a sale. PlayStation has plenty on sale right now.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Let me know whenever he does.

Does he like horror by any chance? If so, then I got plenty to recommend he can get on a sale. PlayStation has plenty on sale right now.
I dunno. We really only talk a few times a year, we live in different states so we get together when I visit the area and make the rounds visiting all the families. Next trip will probably be thanksgiving given everyone's schedules.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I appreciate the extra details, but Sterling more or less already covered the same thing. It's already been reiterated how much of a bullet black people dodge. My main complaint was how readily dismissive certain people (as we have seen in this thread with some of the usual suspects equating them Kotaku [like a certain user did in the Forspoken thread] when that is not the case nor point) are of POC or blacks thoughts/views on the matter, and how there are racists who takes SE's "realism" excuse as validation for "facts" or pathetic "truths". Not to mention those trying to "speak" for those of different race, genders, or sexual orientation as if they have no voice nor say in the matter.

As for the game's success or failure: while Avengers and Forspoken were the cause for the $2 billion loss, Square sure as fuck couldn't make up their mind, until setting on "sold below expectations". I couldn't give a fuck what IGN implied FFXVI, being the cause SE's lost. IGN can't exactly be blamed when SE themselves sent the word out first after saying their game was a success. So SE has no one to blame, but themselves either way.

I've already said my piece enough times, and sick and tired of talking about this. I'm always for diversity, inclusiveness, and better depictions of people of different races, genders, or LGBQT. Especially when done right. While the AAA has gotten better in certain regards, more can and should be done: I don't give a shit what side of the globe you're own. It's called doing research or getting consultants to help out. It's not that hard, when you care. I don't care if it's the real world or fantasy culture counterpart, it still applies either way, and evidence shows it can be done. And I'm not talking about fantasy races such as orcs or whatever, but humans in those fantasy stories, as Dreiko kept going on about. Indies are head over heels and running circles constantly over the big boys in getting depictions and alternate perspectives right.

If anybody has a problem, I don't give a shit and don't even bother wasting my time. Because I am not going in these constant circles. Either you get it, you don't wanna get it, or you act intentionally oblivious and dismissive about it.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If anybody has a problem, I don't give a shit and don't even bother wasting my time. Because I am not going in these constant circles. Either you get it, you don't wanna get it, or you act intentionally oblivious and dismissive about it.
Brawl, I'm not trying to make any kind of point. I haven't played FF16, so I'm in no position to make any point about it. I posted the video because it seemed like an interesting analysis, one that maybe others could pick up on since there's been a fair amount of debate on the topic (mainly in the FF retrospective topic, but meh).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Brawl, I'm not trying to make any kind of point. I haven't played FF16, so I'm in no position to make any point about it. I posted the video because it seemed like an interesting analysis, one that maybe others could pick up on since there's been a fair amount of debate on the topic (mainly in the FF retrospective topic, but meh).
My comment wasn't aimed at you. The users reading this know who they are, and who I am referring to. You're fine in this case.