Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah, was going to say, isn't it well known that Elvis was an on sorts of things? Though, I'd always heard that it was less addiction in the more common sense and more a dependency on chemical help to be able to perform.
The reason that the modern opioid epidemic is framed as such is because we finally understand that this difference is only about framing. It's semantics but it effects treatment and policy. It's kind of like how just because we have names for things like PTSD and post-partum depression doesn't mean they didn't exist before the names were assigned.

> Today's selection was Headshot, an Indonesian martial arts crime drama.

The second person to bring it up!
The type of martial arts you describe is what was popularized in The Raid movies, which is why u/BrawlMan brought up the main actor's other films including Headshot. Pencat silat is a whole umbrella-terma for various Indonesian martial arts, and it's a whole thing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The reason that the modern opioid epidemic is framed as such is because we finally understand that this difference is only about framing. It's semantics but it effects treatment and policy. It's kind of like how just because we have names for things like PTSD and post-partum depression doesn't mean they didn't exist before the names were assigned.

The type of martial arts you describe is what was popularized in The Raid movies, which is why u/BrawlMan brought up the main actor's other films including Headshot. Pencat silat is a whole umbrella-terma for various Indonesian martial arts, and it's a whole thing.
Two more for the road. The first trailer is a TV series that's about 12 episodes, if I remember correctly. The second trailer is a movie that is a sequel to that TV series.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Oh yeah wife and I checked out a couple of episodes of "Wu Assassins" (it also has that awesome blonde lady from Vikings) but it was just a little too corny for us.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh yeah wife and I checked out a couple of episodes of "Wu Assassins" (it also has that awesome blonde lady from Vikings) but it was just a little too corny for us.
You say that like it's a bad thing. I'll take honest corny and cheesy, over manufactured or constantly self-aware shows that lampshade 24/7, any day of the week. The TV show does have some weak elements, but it's that kind of corniness that's been missing in TV for a long time that I love about it. The sequels obviously better and more straightforward, but the TV show ain't bad. The action is good and the action is even better with the sequel.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Creator: Just Fine / Great

For the couple of folks who have railed against this film, I will be the one to advocate for it. It was fine. Original? Innovative? Inspiring? No, it was none of those, but it was good. I was entertained (God knows I've spent 2 hours watching worse,) and there was some decent spectacle. It's basically Avatar, but instead of blue aliens, you've got sentient machines. Nothing about it was offensively bad unless you're one of those sorts who sips $200 wine and notices hints of coriander and oak; for those of us who gratefully swill $20 wine and only notice it tastes like wine, this film was good enough.
The Creator actually reminded most of a Japanese sci-fi movie called Returner where it's like an amalgamation of like 5 different and popular sci-fi ideas. The massive problem with both is that they just dip their toes in the themes of them all and just bounces around from one to the other whenever they feel like it. The movie brings up an interesting "Pushing Daisies" sci-fi tech but the movie just uses it cheaply to move the plot forward when it needs to or far like the most fucking contrived emotional moment at the end I think I've ever seen in a movie. When the kid bumped into "it" on the ship at the end, I was like it doesn't even make sense it's on the ship and I figured it was just a lame reason to add tension to the end acting like the kid was gonna be distracted I guess, and then when the main character falls down to that area I was like "god fucking damnit... No! you did not at all fucking earn this moment at all"

Never seen a 1500-calorie Elvis chicken on the menu. When you think of Elvis you think of two things: burgers and became rapidly unhealthy and died. Cogito ergo sum ipso facto dum de dum.
Yeah, I know the association and it's one of the reasons why burgers are have become associated with being unhealthy. Plus, at the time (and still now generally), the "fat is bad" narrative was pretty much at it's peak. Saturated fat is not bad for you (outside I'm sure excessive amounts just like anything else).

*steps on soapbox*

Ok I know this is off topic but I'm seeing these posts here about Elvis Presey's death for some reason and arguing about food and.. guys, you can google this shit, come on.

Yes, Elvis was overweight and ate poorly, But that is not the primary cause of his death- he had multiple drug addictions, specifically barbituates and opioids. As both a music fan and someone who has struggled with food addiction, I need to tell you how grossly irresponsible to go around looking for excuses for fat-shaming or oversimplifying the complex relationships of food supply, pharmaceutical companies, celebrity culture, and iconography.

Arguing over bread vs meat is some weird stupid internet dudebro thing and it's bad enough but Elvis freaking Presley is especially an absurd sample case to use for this nonsense.

*steps off soapbox*

ok i'm done, back to movies
I just said burgers are good for you, don't know how that is fat shaming or oversimplifying whatever relationships. Burgers being good and bread being bad are just objectively factual, it's not an opinion. And by bread, I mean at least American bread (not sure about other countries) that isn't real bread but an ultra-processed food, refined grains (which like all American bread is made with) are higher on the glycemic index than table sugar. Again, that is literally just a fact.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Creator actually reminded most of a Japanese sci-fi movie called Returner where it's like an amalgamation of like 5 different and popular sci-fi ideas. The massive problem with both is that they just dip their toes in the themes of them all and just bounces around from one to the other whenever they feel like it. The movie brings up an interesting "Pushing Daisies" sci-fi tech but the movie just uses it cheaply to move the plot forward when it needs to or far like the most fucking contrived emotional moment at the end I think I've ever seen in a movie. When the kid bumped into "it" on the ship at the end, I was like it doesn't even make sense it's on the ship and I figured it was just a lame reason to add tension to the end acting like the kid was gonna be distracted I guess, and then when the main character falls down to that area I was like "god fucking damnit... No! you did not at all fucking earn this moment at all"
Meh, what can I say? I enjoyed it. But I'm no cinephile, so my expectations are probably lower for that. I didn't pay $10 to muddle my enjoyment in theme cohesion and/or worry about derivative inspirations. I watched it and had a good time (and some incredible loaded fries! Maybe you should watch it again with some loaded fries!)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Meh, what can I say? I enjoyed it. But I'm no cinephile, so my expectations are probably lower for that. I didn't pay $10 to muddle my enjoyment in theme cohesion and/or worry about derivative inspirations. I watched it and had a good time (and some incredible loaded fries! Maybe you should watch it again with some loaded fries!)

I plan on seeing this tomorrow. Thanks again for the recommendation. Because I am not going to see Expendables 4. My brother enjoyed it, but I got tired of that franchise after 3. I don't see much of an improvement right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I plan on seeing this tomorrow. Thanks again for the recommendation. Because I am not going to see Expendables 4. My brother enjoyed it, but I got tired of that being franchise after 3. I don't see much of an improvement right now.
Oh, don't take my opinion as a direct recommendation. It is certainly not without it's flaws, but I can say I enjoyed it, and I hope you manage to as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, don't take my opinion as a direct recommendation. It is certainly not without it's flaws, but I can say I enjoyed it, and I hope you manage to as well.
Don't worry. You're not the only one that pointed out the flaws with the movie. Probably won't bother me as much, because as long as the people are trying or at least attempting something a bit different, then I'll take it. I am not spoiled when it comes to these type of things.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Talented Mr. Ripley

Maybe one of my favorite movies from the 90s that I rarely think about, as it hasn't really outlived 1999 in terms of pop culture. The 90s gets a bad rep, frankly. These days you simply couldn't make Matt Damon's version of Tom Ripley. The movie would either try to make him sympathetic (a survivor of Trauma, a victim of Society) and/or give him some kind of moralizing comeuppance, which he doesn't quite get in The Talented Mr. Ripley, although he is crying like a little ***** by the end. No, Tom Ripley is a weirdo and a creep who borrows more turns of phrases than The Dude and is an expert in muddling the truth with fastidious precision ("No, I didn't kill X and THEN kill Y") and the ability to lie just about anything by simply acting offended at the same time. The outrage is genuine, it's just coming from a different place every time. He uses human emotion like it's Batman's tool kit. Great portrait of a sociopath.

And watching it again I realized how little we get these days from actual locations. Italy is so real and lived-in in this! The movie has production value up the wazoo. It never looks like a second unit phoned it in or they used stock footage. The setting looks impeccable and the movie makes the most of it.
The horror of making Ripley sympathetic and traumatized.

Did you get to see 2002's Ripley's Game? I thought it pretty enjoyable as well.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

I recognized the guy from a random martial arts youtube video I saw that interviewed the IP Man actor, and he brought him up in the context of a very long fight scene that he apparently did all in one take, and how amazing it was, but also that he could see he was really tired by the end of it based on how he moved. I'm not a huge buff so I'm not super familiar with the names and will randomly watch stuff here and there, but I had a feeling it would be worth a watch and it definitely was!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Definitely agree about the scene where the father carries the child through the festival. Also, I do like the old painted backdrops and the weird, unreal looking landscape they created.

You going to do the next 7 Frankenstein films?

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Maybe, but likely not. The only thing I have for certain set in my mind is that I'll be reviewing Friday the 13th on Friday the 13th.

ETA: Fun bit of trivia, though. Despite the fact that the stereotypical assistant of Dr. Frankenstein is Igor, to the point of Young Frankenstein using the name in its parody, the hunchbacked assistant in this film is actually named Fritz.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Xprimentyl & @Old_Hunter_77,

I saw The Creator, and I love it! People complaining that the movie "doesn't do enough original" are full of ass. I am not saying it's the most original movie ever made, but they got creative, and I was never bored. Also, Joshua does have character, so I don't know what critics yapping about on that one. You know those sci-fi movies done by Niel Blomkamp? Yeah, The Creator is the better version of all of them. This what they should have been. I am more so referring Elysium and Chappie.

Good story, good character dynamics, great action, excellent visuals, and beautiful cinematography. This is my favorite sci-fi movie of the year!

BTW @Old_Hunter_77, I got one more martial arts film for you. You ever seen Drive (1997)? When you do watch it, make sure it's Director's Cut. Amazon doesn't have it digitally for some reason (only the theatrical version), but it is available on DVD/Blu-Ray with the full Director's Cut. So buy either of those on Amazon or where ever you find it, if you wish.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The Northern Star (L'étoile du nord, 1982), by Granier-Deferre. Another Simenon adaptation, similar to The Widow Couderc, as Signoret plays once more an old lady charmed by a possible criminal that she's sheltering. This time it's Philippe Noiret, playing a french or belgian guy (it takes place in urban Belgium, also in the 1930s) who lived a long time in Egypt, and charms everyone with his folkloric depiction of eastern exotism (accompanied with dreamy flashbacks). He's suspected to have murdered and robbed someone in a train (a train named the northern star), but he claims he doesn't know why his coat is drenched in blood and stuffed with banknotes.

Lots of structural parallels with Couderc. It also features a too promiscuous teeenager (played by Julie Jezequel, too young to be as stunning as she'd become), and fortunately we're being spared any love scene this time. It also builds up the police catching up with the fugitive. it's also focused on the psychology and dynamics between the characters. But this film is less biting politically. All characters are kinda decent, flawed, weak at worst, and society as a whole isn't showed as oppressive as Couderc's rural France. There's still the rise of fascisms and anti-fascist protests as a background, but much more distant and subdued than in The Widow Couderc. But all in all, it has the same musicality, the same sense of melancholy and regret for lives in a conscious deadend, in all their different ways.

Simenon's novel is called "Le locataire", the movie is named differently because of Polanski's The Tenant. I've also watched Man in The Attic (1953), which is adapted from a novel called "The lodger". It's one of the five or so adaptations of that book, some of which had been done by Hitchcock. Not that one. This one is Hugo Fregonese's, and features Jack Palance as... a smooth talking lodger, strongly suspected of murder, and who charms the whole family who shelters him in their pension. I feel I'm going in circles with my movies, these days. So, in this case, the guy is or isn't Jack the Ripper (as opposed to the other adaptations where he sometimes is and sometimes isn't Generic Serial Killer instead), except that this Ripper kills actresses instead of prostitutes (apparently the world "prostitute" would have made the public faint, back then). And it's a sweet movie, with sweet characters, sweet little songs (the lodger's flirt is a music hall dancer) and the terrific Palance who sounds like he's rehearsing for Dracula (which he'd play much later, I enthusiastically learnt). His almost Lorre-level suaveness makes him a terrific ambiguous presence.

So I was pleased to hear Shane mentioned in Henri Verneuil's A Thousand Billion Dollars (1982), as the movie Patrick Deweare's character almost brings his son to, when the latter complains that he's seen Bambi too often and wants a western with lots of gunfights. A Thousand Billion Dollars is a typical Verneuil. An investigative suspense that serves as a soapbox for Verneuil's political outrage. It's the 80s, Veneuil warns us that globalization benefits big international corporations that are actually solely driven by PROFIT !!!. Deweare plays a reporter on a crusade to prove it and warn the unsuspecting world about it.

I love Verneuil. If his little masterpiece I For Icarus is some sort of JFK before Oliver Stone, and denounces the CIA's complicity with various dictatorships, Billion Dollars is some sort of All The President's Men about global economy. It may feel dated, because it does preach a lot about what is now common knowledge (and way worse than what the movie exposes), but it's still disarming with its passion, its heart at the right place, and its technical efficiency as a thriller. It's still a significanly lesser film than Icare, despite Deweare's performance (his penultimate one, as he'll commit suicide after his next movie, the precious and disturbing Paradise For All).

And I also watched The Science of Sleep (2006) and it was lovely.

Haven't been gaming much.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
@Xprimentyl & @Old_Hunter_77,

I saw The Creator, and I love it! People complaining that the movie doesn't do enough original are full of ass. I am not saying it's the most original movie ever made, but they got creative, and I was never bored. Also, Joshua does have character, so I don't know what critics yapping about on that one. You those sci-fi movies done by Niel Blomkamp? Yeah, The Creator is the better version of all of them. This what they should have been. I am more so referring Elysium and Chappie.

Good story, good character dynamics, great action, excellent visuals, and beautiful cinematography. This is my favorite sci-fi movie of the year!

BTW @Old_Hunter_77, I got one more martial arts film for you. You ever seen Drive (1997)? When you do watch it, make sure it's Director's Cut. Amazon doesn't have it digitally for some reason (only the theatrical version), but it is available on DVD/Blu-Ray with the full Director's Cut. So buy either of those on Amazon or where ever you find it, if you wish.

Wow, didn't expect you to be THAT impressed! Glad you enjoyed it as well!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
u/Absent

I see you over there with your art films, your post new wave cinema over there. I haven’t responded cause I haven’t seen these movies in like 20 years or not at all but good for you, gettin yo cinema on