General Gaming News.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
See, this is something where I have to take Skill-Up reviews with a grain of salt. He makes a point of pointing out in the description,

“It might have got across the finish line had the writing done its job, but this is the worst written AC game I've played. Sadly, I can't recommend this.”

But, if the game got rid of a lot of the garbage that’s been accumulating on the series and brought it back to feeling “like an AssCreed game” to play, then is it really that bad? What is he reviewing here, a game or a movie?
Depends on how important he considers the story to be, and if he considers being a back-to-basics Assassin's Creed game to be a good thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
“It might have got across the finish line had the writing done its job, but this is the worst written AC game I've played. Sadly, I can't recommend this.”
Yeah, that's a load of shit. There are plenty of worse written AC games than Mirage. Did he forget about Unity?

But, if the game got rid of a lot of the garbage that’s been accumulating on the series and brought it back to feeling “like an AssCreed game” to play, then is it really that bad? What is he reviewing here, a game or a movie?
I've been iffy with Skill Up at times, and this is one of those times. I am not in Mirage's corner here, but even I can tell when someone is off or that contradictory. You can't have it both ways SU.

Hyenas ain't happening and Sega just wasted a ton of money.

@CriticalGaming

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The negatives in that review seem to come from a place where the game lacks hardcore racing sim features. For me that is fine because i play with a controller and dont get super deep into realistic tunings nor do i care about how accurate the physics are.

Im kinda on the boarder type of player on these games. I want something more simmy than a need for speed but also i dont need or want a hyper sim like iracing either.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I think even with Horizon: Zero Dawn they were outsourcing a shitton to Chinese studios. And I'm sure when Spider-Man 2 gets released it won't be solely an Insomniac game.
I think this can be done right, with good creative control and communication, and by being sure that each studio is competent in the area it's working in.

(So what I'm saying is that this can't be done right by any AAA studio.)

Apparently a spiritual successor to dino crisis just came out.

And it.

Looks.

so bad.

not 'so bad it's good' before any sickos (you know who you are!) start brandishing their bank cards at the graphics, dire voice acting, poor editing, shonky animation and dull environments...it just looks bad to play. --- drop the card. hold your breath. count to 1000. give me your pin number. count to 2000. walk away and forget this ever happened
...I've made better trailers. And yes, there's a right and wrong way to clone '90s kitsch, and this is really the wrong way.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
See, this is something where I have to take Skill-Up reviews with a grain of salt. He makes a point of pointing out in the description,

So uh... which ones are the good written ones lol.

They're at their best when they stuck to prettymuch medieval Hitman with parkour, (and even then, never got the feeling of freedom the latter gives) or a brief detour into a (at the time) promising naval combat prototype. But none of them have exceptionally shown out as being masterclasses in interesitng storytelling

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think this can be done right, with good creative control and communication, and by being sure that each studio is competent in the area it's working in.

(So what I'm saying is that this can't be done right by any AAA studio.)
Oh, I think it has been done right. Say what you will about TLoU2, that is not a game that just feels slapped together by a dozen different studios that weren't in proper communication with one another. Shipping off work to other studios is something nearly every piece of animated media has done for decades. Even Ghibli does it.

There's plenty of reason to shit on AAA gaming, but I don't think this is necessarily one of them.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any fun or fond memories in those 20 years. But at the same time, it is sad what the franchise has become

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Call me crazy but i agree with Skill Up. I hated the AC series until they tried to be RPGs and i though Origins and Odyssey were great.

I just thought the stealth was never well done and the combat was mindnumbingly easy in early games. Of course Unity was another shitstorm altogether.

To me the assassination and stealth style of gameplay is best suited to tight linear levels or smaller open areas like in Hitman. But when you put them in an open world type of setting and also try to tell a compelling story the stealth becomes tedious in a longer game.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Holy moly, rtx 3080 and i5-12600k just for 1080p? Is this game used to test nuke?
Hey, you need powerful hardware for all those animated... buildings....

Or maybe those people worrying that PC optimization will go out the window in the age of DLSS/FSR are onto something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Call me crazy but i agree with Skill Up. I hated the AC series until they tried to be RPGs and i though Origins and Odyssey were great.
I'll give Origins some credit for trying somethin different, but Ubisoft didn't help anyone by making the EXP so grind heavy. Then putting DLC/MicroTransX to "skip the grind" they created. Feeding on those with FOMO or are that impatient. I know this was more of an issue with Odyssey, but Ubisoft still can fuck off for trying to scam people regardless.

To me the assassination and stealth style of gameplay is best suited to tight linear levels or smaller open areas like in Hitman. But when you put them in an open world type of setting and also try to tell a compelling story the stealth becomes tedious in a longer game.
You more or less pointed out the flaws of both Origins and Odyssey, and why people don't want over bloated games with "1000 hours of great content" (mostly lazy copied and pasted quest and markers). Origins and Odyssey would have been better as seperate IPs, than being another AC game. The same thing goes for Black Flag too.

I already you disagree with me on this, but Tsushima is the best AC game ever made. Better than any of them. Yes, I am including the great and best ones. Because Tsushima doesn't have that dumb conspiracy nonsense everyone stopped caring about around III and Black Flag. While at the same time having much better combat and kick ass stealth that turns you into ancient ninja-samurai Batman.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Good lord, what the hell? I know these games have a lot going on but that's insane
Must be crowd, if they (pointlessly) try to individually animate them so the player can zoom in, my guess is that you'll be able to lower the crowd value in setting and will gain a lot of performance.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ha!

No this shit again!

Uh-oh...