Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
When was the last time there was actually a good Robin Hood anything? Like fucking never?

But now though, now with this black gay woman... That one really tripped up the winning streak.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Maybe because there are communities where robinhoodism makes a bit more sense than donald trump assaulting social services to bring the tax money back to mar-a-lago guests, and maybe because we've had 100 years of strictly white dudes leading movies and series and it could be interesting to shift the corpus' proportionality a bit more towards real demographics ?
Jackie Chan is a white dude in brownface?

But of course, to insecure racists, it very quickly feels like AAAARGH THE BLACK GAY WOMEN THEY ARE EVERYWHERE NOW I SPOTTED ANOTHER ONE I CANNOT BREATHE.
Weird it has to be Robyn Hood though, weird to have to have a recognisable named strapped too it almost as though. Also this is a funny combination of al

Because why wear the face of something else when you can build something new?

Oh right......... none of the "progressive" lot turned out for Killjoys or Atomic Blonde. Nope did throw a big paddy over new She-Ra not getting more series.................

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I liked Robin And Marian. 🥺
You're gonna have to help me out which one that even is - The sea of Robin Hood adaptations is wide and saltless.

I like the Disney fox one and Prince of Thieves, but one of those has a gay man in it and the other one a black man, so I'm guesing they don't count by anti-woke standards.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
You're gonna have to help me out which one that even is - The sea of Robin Hood adaptations is wide and saltless.
It's the Richard Lester one with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. It's a bit of a post-Robin Hood though, takes place 20 years after the traditional stories.

(I saw Men in Tights in the theater, and I remember I was a bit disappointed with it. I should re-watch it, though. I have a weird thing with Mel Brooks, a lot of sympathy for his films but no real ha-ha. Even Young Frankenstein, I find it more "good" than truly "funny".)

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The original Robin Hood wasn't a comedy!! Why do so many franchises feel the need to change??? Rabble rabble
Well I doubt anyone would really like the true original Robin Hood without editing out all the talk of good quality travelling cloaks and cloth for clothing.........................

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
To be clear, I'm not saying people are besieged by media, I'm saying the modern "Left" whatever that is now as I'm apparently for liberty but that makes me right wing
I don't think anyone considers ''being for liberty'' to be associated with being right wing, given how the most prominent conservative forces are so dictatorship happy these days. If Orban/Trump/Putin/Le Pen/Baudet end up winning elections it tends to be a pretty big blow to people's liberties.

For what its worth I do think Robin Hood in da hood does seem pretty lazy so at least I agree with you there. I don't find it problematic though. Just one bad show among dozens.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Has it?

So they made Robin Hood a black bisexual woman rapper living in the Canadian projects trying to fight a billionaire who wants to gentrify where she lives 100 times in the past 50 years? any links to the 49 other times?
Every single iteration of Rohin Hood is not the same including one where he is high school kid fighting rich kid, a furry version and one where they are men in tights. You are being offended at ONE version being a rapper. Not all version, just one

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, because it's hilariously stereotypical [modern audiences] changes being made because in this age of representation no-one could possibly identify with some white dude fighting injustice lol.
Maintaining the ban on women doing things, like being a Robin Hodd, because that is tradition for the last millennia is a really stupid argument

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Because why wear the face of something else when you can build something new?
No, that's not really an answer. You're consuming vast amounts of media that just re-writes older stories and characters all the time.

The ancient Greeks sort of invented plays, from which we now developed TV shows and films. To a certain extent the ancient Greeks told the same stories again and again, each playright putting their own spin on it. That's why, for instance, both Sophocles and Euripedes have a version of Elektra. Just to point out that the re-imaging of the same stories and characers with different angles, themes, and updated to the era of the day is a practice at least 2500 years old.

The story of Robin Hood has itself gone through iteration after iteration. The early Robin Hood was a folk hero yeoman of distinctly rough character; over time he was later gradually'co-opted by the nobility and declared the scion of the gentry, given new followers, and a girlfriend and romance, and more chivalrous, and so on. In Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe" he's a jolly Saxon rebel against the Normans. The myth changes again in the 19th and early 20th centuries as he is made more appropriate for children's stories, with a lot more of the rougher edges smoothed off. Chances are the Robin Hood you're imagining isn't even the original, because I doubt you've read the earliest ballads and stories.

Oh right......... none of the "progressive" lot turned out for Killjoys or Atomic Blonde. Nope did throw a big paddy over new She-Ra not getting more series.................
Irrelevant non-sequitur.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yeah, you have such a history of posting in this thread fake outrage that is only worth mentioning within the online back-and-forth of victimized conservatives that I merged you with the original topic import this time.
And yet, most of the outrage is coming from you.

But if you have no political stake of the yelp-they-wokified-my-thingy sort, there's no issue left : these common language structural myths keep being transposed to new settings, plots, premises, and work all the same, because that's precisely this universal fundamental basis that makes their strength. You can have gay romeo & juliet in new york, and a lady frankenstein giving sentience to an AI, or the odyssey of a legless chinese seeking home for 10 weeks through the streets of kinshasa, avoiding the lure of any symbolic siren or loto flower, it's still a valid reappropriation of the structure or core idea. And given the number of real life contexts that do actually require a robin hood (or a david with any kind of metaphorical sling, or even whatever jesus you can think of), any iteration is a drop in the ocea of legitimate possibilities.
Yes. I agree.

There is no reason to react to this one in particular (after an O'Brother, after a Fisher King, after Mr Merlin, after so many what-if-Dracula, what-if-Jesus, what-if-Jack-the-Ripper, etc) if not out of an echoed specific political bother that blows it out of proportion. But of course, it's always interestingly telling to see, in all adaptations/transpositions, were people locate the core (beyond deflections on peripheral pretexts that wouldn't have bothered them otherwise) and what they consider secondary. It's the James Bond "anything but black" experiment again and again.
If you bothered to actually read this thread, you'd see the order of events went:

1: Dwarf posted the video

2: I said it looked terrible

3: You went down the rabbit hole of politicization

Reacting to something in particular in this context would mean something like a dozen RH videos and me only choosing one of them. I saw it, said it looked terrible and a case of plopping the RH name on something that was barely related. Instead, a video was posted, I reacted, and apparently, that triggered you because God forbid someone has an opinion on a trailer.

Yeah that's why there isn't any movie with a white dude fighting injustice anywhere ever anymore ever whatsoever anywhere anymore. White heroes have been eradicated from cinema and tv and also white dudes are being shot on sight in the street.

Also all videogames protagonists are gay or trans. These are hard times. You suffer a lot.
Y'know, as little sympathy as I have for people whining about the stuff you say, you're also the biggest faux victim on this thread, so pot, meet kettle.

fun fact, I watched that show....................... wow was it trash that I had to be partially drunk to get through. It's pretty hilariously bad in a number of ways. It's like some-one went "Ok we want Game of Thrones meets suicide squad but with an IP name slapped on it" and that's what we got. It's somewhat funny until it goes full on weird off the rails stuff, shame it wasn't meant to be a comedy.
I dunno dwarf, that sounds really bigoted, like Neil Gaiman. I mean, if you're talking about faithfulness to source material, obviously you're just a right winger conservative/fascist.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

No need to thank me.
That sheriff sure looks like a cunning fellow.

I was actually meaning to post this as an adaptation of Robin Hood that puts a spin on a well trodden tale and has the woman be the hero in a traditionally masculine story obviously hates men.

I dunno dwarf, that sounds really bigoted, like Neil Gaiman. I mean, if you're talking about faithfulness to source material, obviously you're just a right winger conservative/fascist.
You mean to tell me this is one of the few posts where he isn't?! It's a fucking miracle!

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
When was the last time there was actually a good Robin Hood anything? Like fucking never?

But now though, now with this black gay woman... That one really tripped up the winning streak.

Well, there was also this little experiment.

Robin Hood has some weird ass adaptations; there was one starring Patrick Bergin released the same year as Prince of Thieves that got totally stomped against Costner's outing. In the 1980s there was Robin of Sherwood, which was very much full of old (possibly made up) pagan mysticism - Herne the Hunter featured prominently.

Oh and lets not forget this (thankfully largely) lost to time adaptation Robin of Locksley which transposes the whole thing to a private school. Also turns out Disney made one called Princess of Thieves back in 2001, Kiera Knightly playing Gwyn, the daughter of Robin Hood who has to help get her dad out of the shit.

I also kind of want to watch this on the strength of Paul Darrow playing the Sheriff of Nottingham.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Well, there was also this little experiment.

Robin Hood has some weird ass adaptations; there was one starring Patrick Bergin released the same year as Prince of Thieves that got totally stomped against Costner's outing. In the 1980s there was Robin of Sherwood, which was very much full of old (possibly made up) pagan mysticism - Herne the Hunter featured prominently.

Oh and lets not forget this (thankfully largely) lost to time adaptation Robin of Locksley which transposes the whole thing to a private school. Also turns out Disney made one called Princess of Thieves back in 2001, Kiera Knightly playing Gwyn, the daughter of Robin Hood who has to help get her dad out of the shit.

I also kind of want to watch this on the strength of Paul Darrow playing the Sheriff of Nottingham.
Don't forget about the Robin Hood show that killed off Maid Marian in Season 2 and killed off Robin Hood himself at the end of Season 3, and would have just kept on trucking if it had gotten a season 4.