What are you currently playing?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Between racing in Forza, I'm grinding for the platinum in Persona 3 Portable. Currently preparing for the super bosses and it's one fucking annoying grind. Then I still gotta beat the game as the girl. UGH!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
BTW @Old_Hunter_77, you got a chance to play Streets of Rage 4 yet? There is couch co-op, if your wife or any your friends are interested. You can go up to four players.
Nah... I been buying too many games, so for now I'm just only playing games I for sure know I wanna beat. Rage 4 is on my mental list for "someday when I want something different."

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I restarted Cyberpunk 2077 since the 2.0 and Phantom liberty expansion. Overall it looks glorious. I only ran into 1 actual bug early in the game, but it was easily fixed by just restarting my checkpoint. It's still stutters sometimes when switching from menus to complex landscapes, but I wouldn't say it breaks my immersion. No texture popin or issues like that anymore.

As per my usual OCD, instead of actually playing the storyline, I instead completely ignored it once the city opens up and have just been speed running side missions to unlock all the netrunner perks so I could get the suicide hack. I get way to high off mercing people without them actually seeing me. I think I might be a sociopath. I did notice they made it a "little" harder to cheese, but Ive yet to find myself in any danger.
Also playing this now, and a bit into Act 2. Aside from some unresponsive NPCs here and there (like grabbing one of two cops mid-chat lol) the game feels much better than when I tried it at launch. Unless it takes a nosedive I’d even go so far as to say it could’ve been GoTY contender easily if it launched under the latest patch. The game itself is pretty wild with a pitch perfect tone for the setting. The heist mission is legit stuff, combat is fast and fun with layers of approach, loads of atmosphere, enemies have a decent degree of AI, etc. They definitely learned some things since Witcher 3, at least after enough patches.

Reactions: Piscian

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Also playing this now, and a bit into Act 2. Aside from some unresponsive NPCs here and there (like grabbing one of two cops mid-chat lol) the game feels much better than when I tried it at launch. Unless it takes a nosedive I’d even go so far as to say it could’ve been GoTY contender easily if it launched under the latest patch. The game itself is pretty wild with a pitch perfect tone for the setting. The heist mission is legit stuff, combat is fast and fun with layers of approach, loads of atmosphere, enemies have a decent degree of AI, etc. They definitely learned some things since Witcher 3, at least after enough patches.
I put almost 140 hours in CP2077 a few months after release and now I'm replaying it after the patch and I'm having a blast with it. It's a really solid game and the patch worked on one of the least good aspect of it (gameplay and build variety). I haven't even touched the new content yet but even if it was just the patch I'd be happy with it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
MOAR Elden Ring!

I've completed all but the final two contracts for Volcano Manor, managed to beat the Godskin Noble, and have made it into the capital where I'm told "ok, NOW it gets hard." Seriously? I have no more forward-progress goals; this game is going to end me. I'm just wandering now, looking at bits of the map that are curiously empty, and exploring them. It's just me and the Mimic Tear hanging out.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I put almost 140 hours in CP2077 a few months after release and now I'm replaying it after the patch and I'm having a blast with it. It's a really solid game and the patch worked on one of the least good aspect of it (gameplay and build variety). I haven't even touched the new content yet but even if it was just the patch I'd be happy with it.
Its funny, I bet I even warned people away from it at launch. It was a fucking a nightmare of bugs that completely took you out of the game anytime you actually tried to play the main quest. That said I know I put 80 some ought hours into it trying to find literally everything there was to do, though I can't for the life of me figure out how to box.

It probably helps that I'm playing on an HDR screen and a RTX3080, but I think a lot of it for me comes down to immersion. It's a big...big fuckin city and it's gorgeous to look at, especially now. I often find myself stopping and just staring at stuff. Rainy street reflections, the hussle and bussle. I was walking to a dinner and I happened to mouse up and was immediately in awe of the massive architecture behind the dinner and this big hologram of a fish swimming of above. I think Cyberpunk 2077 is the closest thing we have to visiting Blade Runner and its evident that it was the main inspiration for this games visual design.

I have similar feelings to games like Dead Island and Dying Light. Whatever their faults, there's some compelling about just having this big beautifully sandbox. Sadly I think that's where Ubisoft & EA can't seem to learn from their mistakes. The Farcry, Tom Clancy, and Battlefield games just keep looking worse and worse - being big, brown, ugly, uninteractive messes.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It probably helps that I'm playing on an HDR screen and a RTX3080, but I think a lot of it for me comes down to immersion. It's a big...big fuckin city and it's gorgeous to look at, especially now. I often find myself stopping and just staring at stuff. Rainy street reflections, the hussle and bussle. I was walking to a dinner and I happened to mouse up and was immediately in awe of the massive architecture behind the dinner and this big hologram of a fish swimming of above. I think Cyberpunk 2077 is the closest thing we have to visiting Blade Runner and its evident that it was the main inspiration for this games visual design.
I don't use fast travel and car for that very reason, I just love walking around the city and just explore all the small nook and cranny of the world. tbh I think most of the game is just a bit above average, but they nailed the feeling of night city as a real location and that help keep everything else from becoming stale.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Its funny, I bet I even warned people away from it at launch. It was a fucking a nightmare of bugs that completely took you out of the game anytime you actually tried to play the main quest. That said I know I put 80 some ought hours into it trying to find literally everything there was to do, though I can't for the life of me figure out how to box.

I have similar feelings to games like Dead Island and Dying Light. Whatever their faults, there's some compelling about just having this big beautifully sandbox. Sadly I think that's where Ubisoft & EA can't seem to learn from their mistakes. The Farcry, Tom Clancy, and Battlefield games just keep looking worse and worse - being big, brown, ugly, uninteractive messes.
It’s like that with RDR2 for me, and now with CP2077 I can have naturalistic environments and futuristic city settings covered in magnificent detail.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I forked over $23 AUD for the Overwatch 2 story missions. I toyed with discussing the supposed PVE "cancellation" controversy, but I've already gone down that road in the OW2 thread - everything I said there will be more or less the same here. So all that aside, the question is, are the Story Missions worth it?

...maybe.

I'll get round to elaborating why awhile later, but as usual, I'm going to give my thoughts on the trio of missions. So on that note:

-The first mission, Resistance, is easily the weakest of the bunch, at least in terms of gameplay, and arguably in terms of story. I really don't have anything interesting to say about the first mission, and if the rest of the campaign was like this, my answer as to whether the misions were worth it would be a "God no." It arguably doesn't help that the Rio mission was spotlighted ages ago, so there's no real surprises to be had here, but from a gameplay standpoint, there's nothing interesting to talk about. From a story standpoint...not sure what I can say? Overwatch deploys in Rio, Overwatch says Rio, Lucio ends up joining Overwatch, Cassidy brings in the gang that he gathered during New Blood, that's really it. Also, the dialogue is just...bleh. Not that Overwatch has ever been an example of stellar dialogue in any form, but while it's not quite cringeworthy, it's certainly brushing up on the boundaries of it. Somewhat despondantly, I finished the first mission, and four days later, spent an evening starting with mission 2, wary that I might be in for more of the same...

-The second mission, Liberation, is the best in terms of both gameplay and story. There's absolutely no competition with the other two, so much so that if I was a betting man, I'd bet that Resistance was created way before the other two, which gave time for imporvement. It's the best explanation I can think of as to why there's such a massive gap in quality. From a gameplay standpoint, the mission's much more interesting - there's better enemy variety, the fights are more intense, it's more challenging, there's more verticality, there's more effects (e.g. a blizzard strikes at the end that hampers visibility), etc. If we're looking at FPS games in general with dedicated campaigns, it's nothing special, but in the context of singleplayer DLC for a previously multiplayer-only game, it's well done.

-Concerning plot/storytelling, there's far more stuff to discuss here. In the context of "urban combat" or "fighting a battle you've already lost," there's certainly better examples out here, but what's done here is done well. If Rio was too sacharine in its context and storytelling, Toronto is a 180 from this. Granted, the short story "Shockwaves" helps in this regard, but even within the context of the mission itself, it's clear that a) the fighting's been going on for days, b) Null Sector's all but won by the time Overwatch arrives, c) all Army and police forces within the city have been wiped out, and d) you're not here to save the city, you're here to save what civilians you can. You could argue, likely correctly, that this is what you'd expect, since the middle chapter of any trilogy is usually the darkest part, but whatever the case, it's done well here.

-There's other things to mention here. I don't have much to say about Claire and Reggie, only that they're decent characters, fun to have around. More importantly, Ramattra's propaganda broadcasts. I've seen some people theorize that this mission (or rather, the Story Missions as a whole) were meant to come out before Ramattra was revealed, in that he's never name-dropped, none of the characters know who he is, In essence, a mystery is presented within a story that the viewer already knows the answer to. I don't think this is an unwarranted criticism, but I also don't think it's really an issue either. There's certainly times when it might be, but in this particular case, I'm not bothered by it. Also, speaking of Ramattra and his use of Subjugators to 'liberate' omnics, I've seen some people decry this as a plothole and...no. Just, no. I won't go as far to say that people are getting dumber, but this 'plothole,' as people call it, is pointed out in the text itself, that for all his talk of omnic liberation, Ramattra's either a massive hypocrite, or he's going down the path of "the ends justify the means." I wouldn't have thought I'd even need to point this out, that people can make all kinds of rationalizations for horrible things in reality and fiction alike, but here we are.

-Concerning comments on Ramattra that I'm actually partial to, there's a theory floating around that Ramattra's goal is to get all omnics in some kind of shared network (for those who've played Mass Effect, remember the geth's ultimate goal of existing in a single network? Same thing.). I won't go into all the details here, since there's a fair bit to back this theory up, but it's notable in his propaganda broadcasts he states "join us in the Iris," or words to that effect. Except since the actual Iris is at the Shambali Monastery, that either means a) he intends on taking it, and if so, good luck stopping him, b) he intends on creating his own Iris, or already has created one, or c) is speaking metaphorically. There's a mention in the codex entries that Ramattra was never sure if sentience was truly a gift, and if that holds true, that could remain true here. Get the omnics in a shared network, even at the cost of individuality. Or, alternatively, he's trying to repeat Aurora's brief moment of connectivity with omnickind, but if so, that doesn't change the issues they face, whereas being purely digital might.

-Getting onto the third mission, this is the middle child of the bunch, in both story and gameplay. In terms of the latter, I don't have much to say - setting up turrets has some charm, and it feels a bit different from Rio in that you have to hold a point, but it's really nothing special at the end of the day. In terms of the former, again, don't have much to say here either. The interactions between the characters are sort of saccharine, but it does work overall, since Brigitte, Rein, and Lindholm are all family in one way or another, and the divide between Rein/Torb's generation and their baggage and the new generation (e.g. Brigitte). Again, there's nothing special about these themes or interactions, certainly nothing worth analyzing, but it's done well enough.

(Edit: There's also the bonus cutscene/flashback after this mission, and while there isn't much to analyze, yes, it did get me in the feels.)

-I'm going to give a mention to the codex as well (it's not called a codex, but it's what it is for all intents and purposes) - entries are unlocked as missions are played, giving extra character conversations, data entries, etc. Nothing special in of itself, but it's certainly appreciated. Having finished the third mission late last night, I want to spend some time going through it. Haven't unlocked everything (since you need to complete certain missions with certain characters to get certain entries), but playing every mission once unlocks the bulk of it.

So, yeah. At the start of this post, I asked if the Story Missions were worth it, and answered "maybe." The reason I said that is that it really depends on what you're after, and where your priorities lie. If you're interested in gameplay and nothing else, then I can't say they are worth it - at least, not for the asking price. I could see someone having fun doing a playthrough of these missions, maybe repeating them on higher difficulties, but in the sense of gameplay and nothing else, there's not that much to write about. They're better than the old Archive missions, but they're not on the level of a dedicated FPS campaign, and it's also notable that in every case, I had to play with bots, so either no-one's playing them, or no-one's playing them on Normal.

If, however, you're someone who's invested in this setting, its characters, and its overall storyline, then the answer is yes. While everything I said in the paragraph is still true, the gameplay in of itself is fun - more than enough to justify a playthrough. The storyline is driven forward, there's plenty of good character and lore, not just in the missions, but the codex itself. As someone who was interested in PVE purely because of story reasons, the missions are definitely worth it, even if there's room for improvement.

Reactions: meiam and gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Got to try out Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice VR and it is amazing what they managed to do. Great looking game. Better than what I play o the Quest 2 natively. This VR Game is on my PC in GoG but you can add it's executable into Steam so it launches from there and uses Steam VR to make it playable that way. 1st time I've tried that! Can't wait to try Star Wars Rogue Squadron in my EA app.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Got to try out Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice VR and it is amazing what they managed to do. Great looking game. Better than what I play o the Quest 2 natively. This VR Game is on my PC in GoG but you can add it's executable into Steam so it launches from there and uses Steam VR to make it playable that way. 1st time I've tried that! Can't wait to try Star Wars Rogue Squadron in my EA app.
I have this. I have off from work next week and I really need to remember to squeeze this in.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I've been playing some Cyberpunk. The gunplay is... fine, but the world, characters and story have so far drawn me in. Im currently playing as a Netrunner, throwing hacks at everyone I see, but I find that whole mechanic to be a bit clunky, so I might respect into something else.

Otherwise, I've been playing some Halo Infinite on the side. I find that I only really have room in my life for one live-service game. Overwatch 2 was a lot of fun, but I find that nothing can really beat the way Halo Infinite does its Battlepasses, with them being permanent once you have unlocked them, instead of expiring after the season ends. Im the kind of person that likes to jump between a lot of games, but Battlepass FOMO in other games makes them feel like a second job, instead of something that I can freely drop in and out of.

Im also currently reinstalling Frostpunk, because I really love that game, and want to try out some of the harder difficulties.

Reactions: gorfias

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Otherwise, I've been playing some Halo Infinite on the side. I find that I only really have room in my life for one live-service game. Overwatch 2 was a lot of fun, but I find that nothing can really beat the way Halo Infinite does its Battlepasses, with them being permanent once you have unlocked them, instead of expiring after the season ends.
Not trying to get into semantics, but you don't lose anything in the OW2 battlepass. Everything you unlock, you keep.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Not trying to get into semantics, but you don't lose anything in the OW2 battlepass. Everything you unlock, you keep.
Yes, of course. I suppose I should have been clearer.

When it comes to Battlepasses in most games (and Overwatch 2), everything you unlock you keep forever, but once the season expires, so too does the Battlepass, and everything else that you haven't unlocked is effectively gone forever (unless they add it into the shop or something).

In Halo Infinite, the Battlepasses are evergreen. Once you buy it, you can progress it at your own pace. Only the free portion of the Battlepass expires at the end of the season, but you are still able to purchase that Battlepass at a later time, if you still want to progress it. For example, Halo Infinite is currently on Season 4 (and about to start Season 5 next week), but I am still progressing the Season 2 Battlepass, and I am able to unlock everything that came with it. And if someone were to start playing today, they would be able to go into the shop and buy every single Battlepass that has previously been available.

The same is true for any upcoming events in Season 5 and beyond. The free track will expire once the event ends, but if you want to unlock its contents at a later point, you can still buy that event pass in the shop at any point.

This allows me to basically play Halo Infinite at my own pace, instead of feeling like I absolutely must check back into the game every week to make sure that my weekly quests, events, etc are complete, else the content be forever out of reach. So long as you are willing to pay, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Thats been something of gradually growing trend. Dauntless has the same thing (buy the pass then do the progress whenever) and its also the way Wayfinders are gonna work at proper release.

(Warframe doens't let you keep them (though theirs is also totally free), but they're basically absurdly available lengths and anyone actually playing the game will complete the whole track and half a prestige one without even trying lol. And the bits end up at Baro Kiteers relic emporium eventually or whatever)

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yes, of course. I suppose I should have been clearer.

When it comes to Battlepasses in most games (and Overwatch 2), everything you unlock you keep forever, but once the season expires, so too does the Battlepass, and everything else that you haven't unlocked is effectively gone forever (unless they add it into the shop or something).

In Halo Infinite, the Battlepasses are evergreen. Once you buy it, you can progress it at your own pace. Only the free portion of the Battlepass expires at the end of the season, but you are still able to purchase that Battlepass at a later time, if you still want to progress it. For example, Halo Infinite is currently on Season 4 (and about to start Season 5 next week), but I am still progressing the Season 2 Battlepass, and I am able to unlock everything that came with it. And if someone were to start playing today, they would be able to go into the shop and buy every single Battlepass that has previously been available.

The same is true for any upcoming events in Season 5 and beyond. The free track will expire once the event ends, but if you want to unlock its contents at a later point, you can still buy that event pass in the shop at any point.

This allows me to basically play Halo Infinite at my own pace, instead of feeling like I absolutely must check back into the game every week to make sure that my weekly quests, events, etc are complete, else the content be forever out of reach. So long as you are willing to pay, of course.
This is one of the reasons that always confused me about why Infinite flopped so hard. On paper (or well on YouTuber's scripts), Infinite sounded like they were making all the right choices. And for like two weeks after it's launch, that seemed to be true. Then all the discourse turned sour, and hasn't stopped since.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
This is one of the reasons that always confused me about why Infinite flopped so hard. On paper (or well on YouTuber's scripts), Infinite sounded like they were making all the right choices. And for like two weeks after it's launch, that seemed to be true. Then all the discourse turned sour, and hasn't stopped since.
Ah, the tale of woe that is Halo Infinite.

The development of Halo Infinite was incompetently managed, the game launched in a barebones state, the team wasn't agile enough to resolve early critical issues, and development struggles continued to impact the release of post-launch content for basically a year and a half, up until the release of Season 3, where the game finally started receiving consistent, quality updates.

A lot of people were really happy with the bones of Halo Infinite, and the promise of a good Halo game was obviously there, but after people grew tired of the game's launch content, and grew sick of issues remaining unresolved, it quickly became abundantly clear that there was basically nothing else coming anytime soon, and so most people moved on to other games. For a whole year, the only meaningful content that was added to the game were two new multiplayer maps. And by the time a decent amount of new content was added, it was much too late, as most people had already moved onto other games.

If Halo Infinite launched with Forge at a bare minimum, I think Halo Infinite would be in a very different place today. The game is much healthier now, a couple of years post-launch, and i'm actively looking forward to whatever new content is on the horizon, but like so many games these days, it was rushed out of the door before it was ready, and the game will now forever pay the consequences.

On the bright side, basically everyone that managed Halo between Halo 4 to Halo Infinite has now been fired. The person who is now leading 343i was the person who led the Master Chief Collection revival. I think the future of Halo has the potential of being quite bright indeed.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Possibly Calisto Protocol (PS5) tonight. Right now I've been playing RE4R Separate Ways on Professional NG+.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Finally started playing through the main storie(s) of Cyberpunk, but first started messing around with the modding. It really came down to the radio stations irritating me. the music largely isn't bad, its just hit and miss for me and I'd rather listen to my own tunes. It just so happens I have a fairly vast collection of stuff not available on streaming so I have mp3s laying around. I found a live acoustic studio version of Open Road Song by Eve 6 not available any where other than buying a specific Live radio cd. One of those deals where its not just a bland acoustic set (like the one on youtube), but like studio designed for acoustic with a bunch of guitars. It's amazing to hear while rolling around in the desert of Night City. Probably will upload it to youtube because its too obscure to get caught by DMCA.

While I was at I started messing with some minor stuff. I don't like going overboard with mods, even quality of life improvements or bugfixes. The games been totally fine for me. So far the only thing I changed is adding an HDR bloom function. I play in HDR so I'm not sure how this looks on a regular screen. It's a much more subdued effect on my screen as HDR is Darker by nature. It's very reminiscent of that Hologram billboard scene in Blade Runner 2049

The main stories aren't bad but it's less interesting when you already know what happens I think. I saw today they've started the early stages of User stories mods like the Mox relationship subquest. I'm curious what the hurdle is as I recall in morrowind players had entire campaign full conversions for it. Maybe the Red Engine is just very tricky.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Calisto Protocol (PS5) - The game so far is fine. I know it plays better with all the updates and turning down the hyper enemy aggression at least on Easy and Normal. I am on Normal mode. I do appreciate the accessibility options of turning off camera shake, and only pressing the button once for QTEs. There are still some scripted sequences where you have to mash the TRI/Y button multiple times. Which makes me wonder: why have that option in the first place?

CP is a very linear game with no puzzles and strict level design. I can forgive no puzzles or simple key quests, but I do wish areas were better highlighted to let you know which are story progression or optional side path. The game does have some subtle tells: any path with a trail of blood leads to the next story sequence, or when hitting the path of progression the auto save pops up in the corner. Those actually helped me out from missing anything so far. The game still should have given the player an in-game map or easier markings.

I have my pistol to near max upgrade, but probably going to do the baton next, so I can have some easier melee strikes and kills. My other gripe with the game is the limited inventory at least in the beginning. I think when Jacob gets the suit, his slots upgrade from 6 to 12. The only problem is that is way later in the game, and it forces you to backtrack for items you want to sell or hold on to for future uses.

Due to this game's linearity, CP is literally a 360/PS3 game with a new coat of paint. That's not inherently bad, but we've seen games like Evil West do this better. Dodging works, but makes the combat a bit too simple. There are some nice combo moves you can pull of when you know what you're doing, or mix and match you force grip, gun, and melee. There's even some combo videos showcasing this.

Right now, I think I am on Chapter 4.