Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
For some reason, MJR didn't have an Epic screening (IMAX equivalent) of The Creator, but the screening I was in is still huge and have loud sound systems.

I know the movie ain't bad, but there's nothing for me in it.

Yep.
caught me before I could fix my typos lol.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
No One Will Save You.

Oh, just noticed it's the movie thread! Uhh, can still salvage this...

No One Will Save You - (Disney plusss)
Not gonna waste words in bushes and beatings, this is an easy recommend, don't bother with trailer, don't bother listening to my meandering dull drones, it's a dependable, imperfect yet memorable waste of an evening, It's also pretty much wordless the whole runtime: a style, if done well, can be the purest form of cinema able to transcend language, cultural and generational barriers as a timeless tale. Lot of pressure for the protagonist actor, though thankfully who exceed all expectations.

In a small rural town in small rural America, perhaps Stephen King's America even - there's a young woman seemingly living alone in suspiciously large cosy country house just contently living life, away from the village folk. Then aliens start trying to get all invasiony one night, ruining her peace. Things escalate from there, in ways that often come dressed in recognisable cliché only to swerve slightly elsewhere each time instead. Is like an 'indie sensibility' take on tropes we've come to know and love (or hate) but done with purpose, style, talent and not so bad CGI. It even kinda ends in a totally different genre of movie - and maybe not the genre you'd guess if you were trying to overthink potential plot twists too. Aside a couple of less interesting shots, this may be the most quality alien invasion film I seen in recent years, decades perhaps.

Not seen it mentioned anywhere else though, aside from a double toasted review a week or two ago. So if they be skimping on promotion, I'll have to consider this whimper of a post to be some meagre attempt at spreading the good word for now. First film managed to watch in ages also.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Friday the 13th

I always remember this movie as being much better than how it plays out. See, in my mind the movie always starts with a flashback to Jason's drowning, which is then followed by a campfire tale about it, setting up the mystery killer to be a vengeful Jason (with the twist at the end being that it's actually his mother). Instead all of this information is pushed to the back end of the movie, by the time it doesn't really matter. So there's no twist (other than a gender bender) because we never have a reason to suspect anybody.

I suppose the urban legend wouldn't really feed the characters' superstition, since nobody runs into a dead body until like the last 20 minutes of the movie. But it would work for the benefit of the viewer, who is watching them get picked off one by one and has nothing to work with.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Talk to Me: Alright / Great

A bunch of late teens/early twenty-somethings have gatherings during which they make light of summoning spirits via the severed hand of an ostensible medium. Because literally playing with the dead is a horrible idea, things obviously take a turn for the worse, and shit gets real...

My bad. I saw the ratings, heard quite a few good things about this film, so my expectations were high, but this one fell quite flat for me. Had I not expected better, had I just stumbled on it and watched it without any expectations, this would have been a decent find, but given I was excited to be both shocked and scared, and was neither, this one didn't work for me. There was a lot of horror potential here, but it's kinda wasted on the softer storylines of precarious interpersonal relationships between the main character and her friends/family. The horror was simply an ingredient, and not a reason for the film; this was a dark drama with a few quick shots to mutilated ghosts. Then it ends with what was supposed to be a "shocker," but one you figured out and are underwhelmed by minutes before the credits roll.

Watch if you want to, but since I was still trying to get my "scary" fix, I started...

The Nun II: Stupid / Great

The Conjuring nun haunts a convent filled with nuns. That's all I got, and that's all they had.

Not sure where this lands in The Conjuring universe it stems from (nor can I be bother to care,) but this was just really dumb. I actually fell asleep, and didn't even finish it. If jump scares are all ya got, ya ain't got much. I'm also tired of horror films that keep falling back on the same antagonists. Freddy Kruger, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, this fucking Nun, etc., it's no longer scary when the same entity just keeps doing the same schtick two, three, TEN fucking films later. Makes me appreciate movies like Smile all the more, a movie with a new threat whose menace isn't diluted with a iterative suffix in the title. That said, I expect Smile II will be announced any day now :rolleyes:.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
While you're at it, expect two or three more Megan films. This is Blumhouse we're talking about here. They're not afraid to milk some of their properties.
You're probably right. I mean, it was clear Jurassic Park (the concept, not the film) was a bad idea after the first film, but they did it like a thousand more times after for more films. At some point it, you have to acknowledge that you've run your course, or acknowledge what you're really doing, like Mel Brooks did in Spaceballs:

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The Burial (2023)

This going to be the most "wgaf" review ever, but the same could be said of the movie. However, I watched it therefore you get my opinion.

The Burial (2023) is another in a long line of schmaltzy, feel good, loose biography comedy dramas designed to kill an afternoon and give you a quick "TIL" of very medium upvote worthy content.

It stars Tommy Lee Jones as real life Burial director Jerry O'keef and JF as Willie E. Gary a high power personal injury lawyer.

Jerry O'keef is on the verge of bankruptsy, losing all his funeral homes when he's approached by a burial corporation about selling all his homes. Initially disgusted with their attitude of profit over humanity, he agrees to sell enough homes to get out of bankrupsty.

Rather than close the deal they string him along for 6 months, knowing he'll be forced to sell all or face debt collection as his debts mount.

He decides to sue them, knowing at best he would have to settle for less than hes already in debt, but his principles force him to take them to court because he feels unjustly treated, he manages to talk Willie E. Gary into helping with the idea that it could be a big media case and it also happens to take place in an all black county. Willie had initially declined because he specializes in injury but also strictly helps black communities.

As things become more clear about O'keef during the trial it's revealed that he's both a war hero, a serious Philanthropist of impoverished communities and banned the KKK from his city while brief mayor and the story becomes less about contract law and more about classism and racism.

It was a solid movie. Tommy lee Jones and Jamie Foxx are both fine, the story pulls at the heart strings, but not firmly. You feel good for 2 hours and kill an afternoon, but theres nothing coming out of left field and its not winning any oscars.

7/10

If I had any explicit notes I think they needed to punch up the dialog, its very bland procedural with the exception of a rather compelling scene between Jamie Foxx and his counterpart played by Jurnee Smollett, debating the OJ trial. I got the definite impression that was an add-in maybe by Foxx himself. He provides all the energy in the film.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Even the final girl finding the bodies and taking down the killer was lifted straight from Halloween - this movie really has nothing to offer.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Sure, but nobody really takes down Michael. And Laurie gets two kill-strikes on the guy. Though I will give it this; neither are as sick as Friday's full-on decapitation.
Until you realize that the head comes off from the wrong side, and that the now-headless person has much hairier hands than Betsy Palmer. :p

Reactions: Casual Shinji

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Totally Killer - 6/10

Another movie that's just basically "fine". The premise is the the main character is able to go back to the 80s to stop her mom from dying. The movie doesn't have too much fun with the premise.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States