The Escapist Countdown to Shutdown Thread: What’s Next?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This whole thing made Forbes, which goes into more detail -
Thats about what i expected. The management had an unrealistic and unplanned idea for the site and fired Nick when it didnt work. And to be honest i never even go to the actual website because they are far to slow with news and the articles are nonsense.

I think the video team saw this coming because they have sort of already established themselves a patreon and separate fanbase that is just following them to the new site. The question is do they have enough fans (namely Yahtzee) to support everyone?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Thats about what i expected. The management had an unrealistic and unplanned idea for the site and fired Nick when it didnt work. And to be honest i never even go to the actual website because they are far to slow with news and the articles are nonsense.

I think the video team saw this coming because they have sort of already established themselves a patreon and separate fanbase that is just following them to the new site. The question is do they have enough fans (namely Yahtzee) to support everyone?
I mean the Second Wind youtube channel is already at 90k subs, and has a single video of just Nick and Yahtzee explaining what happened. Seems like they're getting plenty of support.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean the Second Wind youtube channel is already at 90k subs, and has a single video of just Nick and Yahtzee explaining what happened. Seems like they're getting plenty of support.
I hope so. Youtube ad revenue aint shit anymore so subs don't mean much. Their patreon is at $1100/month and will have to dramatically increase to support the staff. Once content starts coming out I'm sure that support will grow.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Thanks for reminding me to check this out.

Anyway, did everyone leave? Because it seems there are some articles still being published. EDIT: Ah looks like some of the writing team stayed. Interesting.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I hope so. Youtube ad revenue aint shit anymore so subs don't mean much. Their patreon is at $1100/month and will have to dramatically increase to support the staff. Once content starts coming out I'm sure that support will grow.
It already is more. The vast majority of patrons are in their 7 day free trial, so that number of patrons and $ is not representative.
Thanks for reminding me to check this out.

Anyway, did everyone leave? Because it seems there are some articles still being published.
Not everyone. Just everyone that made the content that paid the bills. There's still some (presumably freelance) writers left. Hence the articles. I suspect Gamurs will ditch those soon too, and turn the site into an AI driven content farm or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Something I just noticed, but the Escapists entry on Wikipedia used to list pretty much all the video series, webcomics and whatnot it has published.

It doesn't anymore. Similarly, the only old content that I've seen mention of on the Discord is Yahtzee, Moviebob and Sterling.

And that's kind of sad, how so much of it has been forgotten. And when this site goes, and it's YT channel with it, so will all of that.

People used to say "something on the internet is there forever", but that's not true, is it? Whole swathes of it are gone, actually forever.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Something I just noticed, but the Escapists entry on Wikipedia used to list pretty much all the video series, webcomics and whatnot it has published.

It doesn't anymore. Similarly, the only old content that I've seen mention of on the Discord is Yahtzee, Moviebob and Sterling.

And that's kind of sad, how so much of it has been forgotten. And when this site goes, and it's YT channel with it, so will all of that.

People used to say "something on the internet is there forever", but that's not true, is it? Whole swathes of it are gone, actually forever.
Some remnants can be dug up through the wayback machine but yeah stuff only lasts if people want it too. Much like real history there is stuff on the internet that will forever fade into nothingness, lost on some random hard drive somewhere.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Some remnants can be dug up through the wayback machine but yeah stuff only lasts if people want it too. Much like real history there is stuff on the internet that will forever fade into nothingness, lost on some random hard drive somewhere.
I know. Just kind of sucks to be confronted with it

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

MovieBob actually had to remake one of his reviews when uploading it to his YouTube channel since the original had been lost.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I wonder if the Second Wind site will have a forum, because it is kind of a bummer to lose this one.
Discord, yes. Subreddit, yes. But Second Wind might not actually get a website, let alone a forum. Nick has already mentioned that the effort and upkeep of a forum is just not worth the paltry returns anymore. If you ask me, our best bet is moving somewhere else. But not a lot of active gaming forums left that I know of. IGN is, well, IGN. Resetera and Neogaf would not be very welcoming of all of us. Brawlman suggested a place called Space Battles, which I've never heard of, but which seems ok and quite active. Kind of reminds me of the v1 Escapist forums in some ways, tho it seems really a general geek media fanfic forum, and not specifically a gaming one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Discord, yes. Subreddit, yes. But Second Wind might not actually get a website, let alone a forum. Nick has already mentioned that the effort and upkeep of a forum is just not worth the paltry returns anymore. If you ask me, our best bet is moving somewhere else. But not a lot of active gaming forums left that I know of. IGN is, well, IGN. Resetera and Neogaf would not be very welcoming of all of us. Brawlman suggested a place called Space Battles, which I've never heard of, but which seems ok and quite active. Kind of reminds me of the v1 Escapist forums in some ways, tho it seems really a general geek media fanfic forum, and not specifically a gaming one.
They do have a huge gaming section though. They have one big thread dedicated to anything gaming, and there's a whole bunch of Gaming topics on that forum you can talk and discuss. And it is very active over there.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Only when it needs to be used against someone.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
They do have a huge gaming section though. They have one big thread dedicated to anything gaming, and there's a whole bunch of Gaming topics on that forum you can talk and discuss. And it is very active over there.
That is true. Most of the subforums we have here are represented there in some way or another. Also yes, lots of people. Not quite Escapist forums hayday, but a quite healthy community.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
What’s pretty shitty is I have a feeling if this forum does go under that we won’t even get a warning. It’ll just be gone. Or continue the way it is if no one’s concerned enough, which would at least be something.

Reactions: Bedinsis

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'll take 1/2 or 3/4 of the Escapist, GameTrailers, or IMDb's heyday over nothing.
Honestly, Escapist heyday activity would kind of suck too. Like 2009-2011 era, when there could be tens of thousands of users online all at once, and threads moved so fast that by the time you finished writing a post the thread could be several pages ahead already. I have a lot of fondness for those days, but despite the discussion value rule, it was actually kind of hard to hold one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, Escapist heyday activity would kind of suck too. Like 2009-2011 era, when there could be tens of thousands of users online all at once, and threads moved so fast that by the time you finished writing a post the thread could be several pages ahead already. I have a lot of fondness for those days, but despite the discussion value rule, it was actually kind of hard to hold one.
Fine by me. That makes SB even more valuable to me. I'll admit that I was always a lurker to the original version of the site. I always thought of joining at some point, but backed out because I was on other forums at the time. I don't want to keep track of too many accounts. Originally, I was going to join around 2011 to 2012, but then you know what happened, and it was like that for a while. Users fighting and screaming at each other, and a lot of content creators leaving for one reason or another. You all know I joined around 2016 in March. There are days that I wish I had subscribed earlier or join around 2008, but I'm not going to let that put me down. What was done was done, and I don't regret the fun I had.

Last edited: