General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If we start at three years into the 7th gen they’ve released LA Noire, Max Payne 3, GTAV and two Red Dead’s. Yeah Rockstar’s been been shitty the last few years but I’m pretty sure most of that stems from their overlord Take 2. That said, historically one thing even they’ve seemed to understand, at least with flagship releases, is the importance of timing and not announcing or showing something off before it’s ready, even if it takes a generation. They can of course afford to do that with the cash cow V’s huge supply of milk, but it’s also what makes them stand out next to most other big AAA pubs that will shit out sequels every other year.
There is a youtuber who teaches people programming and computer stuff that I've seen in my youtube shorts feed. He used to work for Blizzard and he said that when he worked at Blizzard he worked on Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty which was the first game in the SC2 trilogy. That game made LESS money than the first store mount in WoW. The stupid $15 horse that started the whole in-game store for WoW made more money than the first new Starcraft game in like 15 years.

As much as we hate it, the reason why microtransactions have taken over so much of the industry is people buy them, and they buy that at ridiculous profit levels. Shark cards, skins, ultimate team, it's insane the amount of spending people will do. And there isn't much we can do to stop it than not support games we feel are unfair in that regard. But we are a drop in the bucket compared to the flood of normie dipshits who throw money at games without regard for anything.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Kinda on you, AB; You kept bending knees to consumerism, blinded by how much profits made, and now you can't keep up
Blizzard is the last company to be complaining about this. They are the studio that takes 7 years plus to make a new game. There hadn't been a new IP from Blizz in 15 years prior to Overwatch and here we are already 8 years since OW's release and they've made one new game since.

Like Rockstar they are just letting WoW keep the company going, but that boat is sinking and they are scrambling to fix it before it's gone for good.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

I knew Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights were bad omens.

EDIT: In case someone points it out in the future; Yes, GK wasn't a live-service, but it has traces;
4-player co-op, grindy material gathering, ARPG w/ numbers, gear system, forgettable open-world activities, shallow skill tree, etc.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I knew Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights were bad omens.
WB ain't getting any of my money, and they can be happy to continue to lose money. Considering Gotham Knights didn't do so hot, I expect even less from Suicide Squad. Hey Warner Brothers, why don't you just pull the plug like you did on your actual good movies and an animated projects, ya fuck heads?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
There is a youtuber who teaches people programming and computer stuff that I've seen in my youtube shorts feed. He used to work for Blizzard and he said that when he worked at Blizzard he worked on Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty which was the first game in the SC2 trilogy. That game made LESS money than the first store mount in WoW. The stupid $15 horse that started the whole in-game store for WoW made more money than the first new Starcraft game in like 15 years.
Could you share that YouTuber?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Night Slashers Remake

EDIT: I found this in the comments section of the trailer video.
@cubansupreme
@cubansupreme
8 days ago
On a sort of related note, it seems that the original Night Slashers game that is part of the "Johnny Turbo" series of arcade games on the Nintendo Switch eShop have recently been delisted for reasons unknown. Not just Night Slashers, every single "Johnny Turbo" game has been delisted from the Switch eShop as well. Thankfully, I got all those games before this happen but I thought I should let everyone else who don't have these games know.
That sucks. I still have my digital copy. That is always the problem when it comes to a digital service only or game is only available digitally. Copyright be a biatch. I don't have the other games under the Johnny Turbo brand, but it does not matter much for me, as some of those games were under the Data East Arcade Collection (Wii). Which I still have.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
New OLED Steam Deck model

I might save up for the cheap one either that or I'll go for the middle one when it's around my birthday. I usually play smaller games on Steam anyway.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I might save up for the cheap one either that or I'll go for the middle one when it's around my birthday. I usually play smaller games on Steam anyway.
I'll admit it appeals to me, but I can't justify the cost of something that does things I already have devices for. But if you're someone who isn't in that position, it seems a sensible purchase.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This sounds familiar
What the hell is going on over there? I didn't realize Kotaku had so many layoffs and rehires. I wouldn't be surprised they kicked the bucket at some point next year or the year after.

Multiplayer maps are already being pulled away because they suck.

Fuck off Sony. You seriously have learned nothing from the 7th generation. You've learned something from what's happened from last generation and now. All these live services ain't going to be successes. You'll either have one or two while the rest are either complete failures or barely above mediocre. I'm not interested in any of them.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This sounds familiar
I read that the feminist website Jezebel is being shut down and since they are part of the same company as Kotaku this might be referring to them. The Kotaku network (whatever it's actually called) Is getting clipped because people aren't buying the into the social inequities demands anymore. But even when not doing clickbaity garbage their genuine articles also often make very little sense.