The Escapist Countdown to Shutdown Thread: What’s Next?

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I suggest you start copying and pasting into notepad or Microsoft Words. Once this entire web site and forum is gone, that is it.
Basically meaning my entire post history from V1 is gone, since there's no way to access those posts from my account, only by browsing the 14,000+ pages of threads on the V1 archive. Bummer. Though admittedly, it's not like I was browsing that history anyway to reminisce about the old times, but it was nice to have.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
And since we're posting "end credits" songs for this forum, I'll do my part:

Especially this part:

"For everything that could have been
Well at least we took the ride
There's no relief in bitterness
Might as well let it die"

Here's to hoping we'll meet again on Second Wind, whatever that may mean. Cheers, folks!

leonardo-dicaprio-toast.gif

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah running a forum is pretty painless, but if you were here, remember when they stopped paying even loose attention to the old Escapist forums and almost every section was overrun by thousands of bot posts.
That's actually already true, minus the overrun by bots part. There's been no admin since december 2022. JoJo is the only left with any ability to manage the place, if only limited.
If no one with privileged access is left, I wonder how the site has remained this clean. Maybe even the bots have forgotten about it, or they only target places with a certain amount of traffic.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Maybe I should do the big tearful goodbye thing too, just in case worst comes to worst.

Kind of wild, how long I've been, through thick and thin. I initially joined for the content. When that dried up, I stayed for the people. It's been a reliable part of my online experience for over 14 years, a place I could always come back to for a chat about stuff I like, or don't like, or just waffle about stupid shit. but who knows what will happens in the next days, weeks, months?

But if tomorrow the lights go out, and we get scattered to the void, I will miss this place. And I will miss you, even the folks I don't like so much. I truly will. I hope I'll be able to continue to see and talk with as many of you as possible, here or elsewhere, for as long as we can. Maybe some have already moved on, and they'll never read this. In that case, I wish them the very best, even though they'll never know.

Because you are the best.

The Escapist Forums2.jpg
I tried to get as many folks as possible. All the regulars, everyone I could find who posted in the past year, everyone who dropped in after hearing the news, and some people whom I ran across as I gathered this that fell off over the years and I found myself thinking: "Wow, I remember them. I wonder what they're up to. I hope they're well"

Here's a download link for the full image for whoever wants it:
Full res image

It's probably far from comprehensive, so if I somehow missed you and you feel you should be included, hit me up, I'd be glad to add you.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Maybe I should do the big tearful goodbye thing too, just in case worst comes to worst.

Kind of wild, how long I've been, through thick and thin. I initially joined for the content. When that dried up, I stayed for the people. It's been a reliable part of my online experience for over 14 years, a place I could always come back to for a chat about stuff I like, or don't like, or just waffle about stupid shit. but who knows what will happens in the next days, weeks, months?

But if tomorrow the lights go out, and we get scattered to the void, I will miss this place. And I will miss you, even the folks I don't like so much. I truly will. I hope I'll be able to continue to see and talk with as many of you as possible, here or elsewhere, for as long as we can. Maybe some have already moved on, and they'll never read this. In that case, I wish them the very best.

I tried to get as many folks as possible. All the regulars, everyone I could find who posted in the past year, everyone who dropped in after hearing the news, and some people whom I ran across as I gathered this that fell off over the years and I found myself thinking: "Wow, I remember them. I wonder what they're up to. I hope they're well"

Here's a link to the full image for whoever wants it:
Full res image

It's probably far from comprehansive, so if I somehow missed you and you feel you should be included, hit me up, I'd be glad to add you.
Bah, I can't see either link!

But I'll echo your sentiments. This place has been a part of my life for years, and it does sadden me to think one day I'll wake up, and see nothing from any of you. I know we've jested and ribbed about how low-traffic and niche we've been since, well, forever, but it is MY niche, and I don't want to see it simply shut off like a light switch. I actually prefer the intimacy of seeing only a handful of names, each I recognize, and each I feel I "know" in my own way.

I'll miss yoos guys; just hoping we get a warning before the inevitable, and even more so, hope we find a SUITABLE haven to start again together. (Or best case, they just leave us the fuck alone, and leave the forum up!!)

Anyway, I guess I'll finally have to figure out the whole Discord thing. Never done it, not sure how it works, where to go, etc., but I'm willing to try with Second Wind if only to continue to see familiar faces.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
That’s fucking awesome Chimpzy, and thank you!

I’d rather not think of this as an impending goodbye of sorts though; moreso just shifting gears. It sucks losing a place we’ve all enjoyed, but we’ll find another that could hopefully be as good if not even better.

In the meantime though, maybe it’s a good idea to lay out a game plan to keep everyone in the loop. I really don’t use other discussion forums much, but considering the Discord seems to be where Second Wind is getting its footing, maybe we could use it as a provisional hub of sorts to keep in touch at least, in case this place goes dark.

Not sure how many here have an account but pretty sure everyone can at least visit?

Here’s their link -

If you’re in, just reply “On” so we can get a tally going.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Something I quickly whipped up. Seemed like a nice idea.

In the meantime though, maybe it’s a good idea to lay out a game plan to keep everyone in the loop. I really don’t use other discussion forums much, but considering the Discord seems to be where Second Wind is getting its footing, maybe we could use it as a provisional hub of sorts to keep in touch at least, in case this place goes dark.

Not sure how many here have an account but pretty sure everyone can at least visit?

Here’s their link -

On

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
If no one with privileged access is left, I wonder how the site has remained this clean. Maybe even the bots have forgotten about it, or they only target places with a certain amount of traffic.
The short answer is that all new user accounts require mod approval to post, and we have a very effective automated spambot detector that flags up suspicious accounts prior to approval, so we'll never be in a situation like in V1 where actual forums are overrun. It comes at a small cost of making things more inconvenient for the few genuine new users we get here, but at this time in the forum's lifetime, I think it's well worth it.

I’d rather not think of this as an impending goodbye of sorts though; moreso just shifting gears. It sucks losing a place we’ve all enjoyed, but we’ll find another that could hopefully be as good if not even better.

Here’s their link -

On. Though I have been wondering if we should set up a separate group to keep in touch, just in case things suddenly went dark. I'm not expecting that to happen imminently, mind.

OT: I've not heard anything from up above since this whole thing kicked off, but if I do, I'll keep you all posted.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Something I just noticed, but the Escapists entry on Wikipedia used to list pretty much all the video series, webcomics and whatnot it has published.

It doesn't anymore. Similarly, the only old content that I've seen mention of on the Discord is Yahtzee, Moviebob and Sterling.

And that's kind of sad, how so much of it has been forgotten. And when this site goes, and it's YT channel with it, so will all of that.

People used to say "something on the internet is there forever", but that's not true, is it? Whole swathes of it are gone, actually forever.
I will never forget Game Dogs.
Discord, yes. Subreddit, yes. But Second Wind might not actually get a website, let alone a forum. Nick has already mentioned that the effort and upkeep of a forum is just not worth the paltry returns anymore. If you ask me, our best bet is moving somewhere else. But not a lot of active gaming forums left that I know of. IGN is, well, IGN. Resetera and Neogaf would not be very welcoming of all of us. Brawlman suggested a place called Space Battles, which I've never heard of, but which seems ok and quite active. Kind of reminds me of the v1 Escapist forums in some ways, tho it seems really a general geek media fanfic forum, and not specifically a gaming one.
I was looking through the Space Battles thread on the Escapist shutting down a couple days ago (came up on a google search) and I saw a couple users that actually used to be regulars here posting there, I'll have to check the place out more seriously as a replacement.

Here’s their link -

Off. Not joining a Discord.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
On. Though I have been wondering if we should set up a separate group to keep in touch, just in case things suddenly went dark. I'm not expecting that to happen imminently, mind.
Agreed. Decided to take the initiative on that.

Could probably use a better name, but it'll do. Not meant as a replacement anyway, but just as a backup plan.
I was looking through the Space Battles thread on the Escapist shutting down a couple days ago (came up on a google search) and I saw a couple users that actually used to be regulars here posting there, I'll have to check the place out more seriously as a replacement.
Oh yeah, you're right, some familiar names there.
Off. Not joining a Discord.
Not even if it's ours?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Here’s their link -

On and I've already joined. But they haven't made any chat channels yet.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
On and I've already joined. But they haven't made any chat channels yet.
They have, but you have to go the 'the rules' channel first, and click on one of the 'i have read the rules' buttons. That should make the public channels accessible.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They have, but you have to go the 'the rules' channel first, and click on one of the 'i have read the rules' buttons. That should make the public channels accessible.
I had to click the rules chicken 5 times to get it to work.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

But if tomorrow the lights go out, and we get scattered to the void, I will miss this place. And I will miss you, even the folks I don't like so much. I truly will. I hope I'll be able to continue to see and talk with as many of you as possible, here or elsewhere, for as long as we can. Maybe some have already moved on, and they'll never read this. In that case, I wish them the very best, even though they'll never know.

Here's a download link for the full image for whoever wants it:
Full res image

It's probably far from comprehansive, so if I somehow missed you and you feel you should be included, hit me up, I'd be glad to add you.
*Sigh* Little Devils, may she rest in peace.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Soooo. Are they seriously not gonna have a site? I watched their youtube announcement thing this morning and there was literally a point Nick went "you can find the link to the secondary stream at......in discord." like he's suddenly become keenly aware that not having a homepage sorta makes content advertisements difficult. Secondly, so thats it no more written content? Idk, the video started going incircles about how to monetarily support them and I tuned. Is there not going to be a website?

It's interesting because LTT does a heavy amount of engagement on their site and Gamersnexus just relaunched

That said I whole heartedly agree with what they are doing. I was thinking at the start of this..like what does Gamurs do for the site exactly? They just own the IP? Thats that a pretty weak position in this day and age, when you have a slew of freelance content creators doing just fine with "owners". Apparently bandcamp might be shutting down soon as musicians flee the platform and spotify is in some hot water as well.

I don't however, think they can purely run on crowdfunding. I'm sure they are aware. I'm curious as to what direction they are going to go with ads.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not kidding when I say that when this forum closes there goes the majority of my social interactions. The life of an introvert. But it could've been worse - I could've never stumbled or joined here in the first place. And in the 14 years I've been part of this community I've developed quite a bit, and actually managed to let go of some unhealthy behavior due to the interactions with everyone here. It's gonna suck not being able to jump in here anymore to say my piece on whatever new anything just occured in gaming, movies, or just the world.

I'm not too keen on Discord, and it seems my email is locked out anyway. Who knows, maybe this Second Wind will eventually get a forum and we'll all meet there again, but if not...

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Here’s their link -

On.

But seeing as there are a gazillion users on there, we'll probably never run into eachother on there. I probably won't even bother participating as chats, especially highly active ones, are too fleeting for my tastes. It's like screaming into the void.

Feel free to send a DM though, name's the same.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On.

But seeing as there are a gazillion users on there, we'll probably never run into eachother on there. I probably won't even bother participating as chats, especially highly active ones, are too fleeting for my tastes. It's like screaming into the void.

Feel free to send a DM though, name's the same.
That's the impression I get right now, it's a bunch of spammed opinions in the video game channel now. However it's also new, so when things die down a bit that might change.