If DeSantis wins

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well for starters, lots of people don't consider home ownership a "basic need", considering its perfectly possible to live a comfortable and fulfilling life without it.

Secondly, the reasons are obvious: they want the benefits of living in the city. Better job prospects, the culture, the connectedness.
A lot of city benefits are in actuality mainly perceived benefits vs actual benefits. More time to yourself is comfortable and fulfilling. I'm pretty sure if you asked people to rank in priority time to themselves (aka work/life balance), most would put that pretty high. Being able to own your a place directly correlates to that, it's just that most people don't think of it that way.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of city benefits are in actuality mainly perceived benefits vs actual benefits. More time to yourself is comfortable and fulfilling. I'm pretty sure if you asked people to rank in priority time to themselves (aka work/life balance), most would put that pretty high. Being able to own your a place directly correlates to that, it's just that most people don't think of it that way.
OK. But I have a better work/life balance in my current job than I did before moving to the city a decade ago. So obviously it doesn't correlate perfectly.

Plus, of course that isn't necessarily related to owning vs renting.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
OK. But I have a better work/life balance in my current job than I did before moving to the city a decade ago. So obviously it doesn't correlate perfectly.

Plus, of course that isn't necessarily related to owning vs renting.
What I'm pointing out is that if you rent (assuming renting is at least the same or more per month than owning), you'll have to work longer until being able to retire.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
What I'm pointing out is that if you rent (assuming renting is at least the same or more per month than owning), you'll have to work longer until being able to retire.
Yes, I'm well aware I'm being fleeced. But your proposed alternatives are either unworkable or undesirable to me, so all we're left with is you pointing out the obvious.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, I'm well aware I'm being fleeced. But your proposed alternatives are either unworkable or undesirable to me, so all we're left with is you pointing out the obvious.
Again, I know you said awhile back that you didn't find another alternative desirable, I was asking more so for the much bigger group, which I know is something you can't personally answer obviously. Why are people so addicted to living in cities that end up making them poorer? I feel like with the work-from-home cat out of the bag, I think there's gonna be a rather significant shift away from cities in general, if not already. You already got major cities losing tons of money from far less people commuting in for work everyday and getting lunch, general shopping, and whatnot.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Again, I know you said awhile back that you didn't find another alternative desirable, I was asking more so for the much bigger group, which I know is something you can't personally answer obviously. Why are people so addicted to living in cities that end up making them poorer? I feel like with the work-from-home cat out of the bag, I think there's gonna be a rather significant shift away from cities in general, if not already. You already got major cities losing tons of money from far less people commuting in for work everyday and getting lunch, general shopping, and whatnot.
Most jobs require at least a partial working week on-site: hybrid working. Work outside the city, you'll have cheaper accommodation but worse job prospects.

But mostly I just wanted you to stop acting as though moving out of the city was a panacea for everyone's problems. At least here you've acknowledged it isn't.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Most jobs require at least a partial working week on-site: hybrid working. Work outside the city, you'll have cheaper accommodation but worse job prospects.

But mostly I just wanted you to stop acting as though moving out of the city was a panacea for everyone's problems. At least here you've acknowledged it isn't.
Not everyone but most. Big cities seem similar to what malls used to be (not to the same extent but not that far off either). Malls were the big thing, everyone wanted to go shopping at malls, but the problem with malls is that they had nothing but luxury/novelty stores (hence just made you poorer) and no necessities, people didn't actually need to go to the mall. Sure, there was obviously the shift to online shopping. But if a mall had something people needed in it, like a grocery store, they wouldn't be so vacant and shells of their former selves. Cities are losing TONS of money with people not coming back to the office because people realized having some expensive office space in a city wasn't a necessity and kinda just did it because everyone else did it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Not everyone but most. Big cities seem similar to what malls used to be (not to the same extent but not that far off either). Malls were the big thing, everyone wanted to go shopping at malls, but the problem with malls is that they had nothing but luxury/novelty stores (hence just made you poorer) and no necessities, people didn't actually need to go to the mall. Sure, there was obviously the shift to online shopping. But if a mall had something people needed in it, like a grocery store, they wouldn't be so vacant and shells of their former selves. Cities are losing TONS of money with people not coming back to the office because people realized having some expensive office space in a city wasn't a necessity and kinda just did it because everyone else did it.
?? But cities have more amenities and opportunities than towns/villages, not fewer. The point you're trying to make seems to be getting more and more confused.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
?? But cities have more amenities and opportunities than towns/villages, not fewer. The point you're trying to make seems to be getting more and more confused.
More opportunity...? But not the ability to be able to afford to a own a place to live. Here's a video about how Chicago transitioned from a place people could actually afford to live to a place you can't afford a place anymore. All the multi-family buildings have become transitioned to single family buildings. Cities keep denying people the ability to build affordable housing for no reason.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You mad they are mandating the state to use words as they are defined in the dictionary? Sounds so fucking awful!!!
Damn, turns out you love government mandated speech. Any other constitutional amendments you want to shred? Just say you want to ban the Trevor project, you dense ************

Remember when you pretended to be left-leaning?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I know ya'll like your echo chambers
I don't even know what part of my argument this is supposed to be a rebuttal for. Are you trying to argue that there are more work opportunities outside of the city? Or are you saying only a "echo chamber" would value those opportunities above home ownership?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Ah yes the place that wants young people to work there like me and keeps asking me to go there but wants to do nothing to attract me there. Also hurricanes.
Why not also buy a lovely beachfront property that is at no risk at all from rising sea levels because climate change is a lie?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Damn, turns out you love government mandated speech. Any other constitutional amendments you want to shred? Just say you want to ban the Trevor project, you dense ************

Remember when you pretended to be left-leaning?
Funny how you don't see the government trying to stop general ideas from being discussed as problematic but find someone having to call a woman a woman (which doesn't stop you from expressing any ideas) as very problematic.

I'm sure it's also will be nice for cops to be able to pull over someone and not have to deal with bullshit like this. They can just refer to a woman as "ma'am" and not have to worry about getting in trouble over it. Because you have people that are like this...
Trying To Escape A DUI With Wokeness - YouTube

I don't even know what part of my argument this is supposed to be a rebuttal for. Are you trying to argue that there are more work opportunities outside of the city? Or are you saying only a "echo chamber" would value those opportunities above home ownership?
You won't take a look at anything that might demonstrate how your preconceived notions might be wrong.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You won't take a look at anything that might demonstrate how your preconceived notions might be wrong.
I'm happy to hear ideas you have to put forward. But no, I'm not wasting my time watching whatever online randos you want to regurgitate. If you believe something you can presumably explain it.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm happy to hear ideas you have to put forward. But no, I'm not wasting my time watching whatever online randos you want to regurgitate. If you believe something you can presumably explain it.
I summarized what the video was about already. Chicago codes massively made it harder to build affordable housing and the multi-family homes that the city used to have have been converted to single family homes and now it's super hard to build more multi-family housing because of pointless regulations.