General Gaming News.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Free bar at the wake, all invited.

(It's dnb, you're still safe to party👌)

The Electronic Entertainment Expo is officially no more.

The future of the convention was in doubt after the 2023 event was cancelled and Reedpop, owner of events such as PAX and EGX (as well as Eurogamer), said in September it would no longer work with the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) to relaunch the show.

"After more than two decades of E3, each one bigger than the last, the time has come to say goodbye," reads a post on X, formerly Twitter, by the official E3 account. "Thanks for the memories."

Stanley Pierre-Louis, president and CEO of the ESA, confirmed the news to The Washington Post.

"We know the entire industry, players and creators alike have a lot of passion for E3. We share that passion," said Pierre-Louis. "We know it's difficult to say goodbye to such a beloved event, but it's the right thing to do given the new opportunities our industry has to reach fans and partners."

"There were fans who were invited to attend in the later years, but it really was about a marketing and business model for the industry and being able to provide the world with information about new products," he continued. "Companies now have access to consumers and to business relations through a variety of means, including their own individual showcases."

Indeed, Nintendo's Direct showcases - beginning in 2011 - bypass big conventions and go straight to consumers, a format PlayStation and Xbox have since adopted.

E3 was known as the biggest gaming event each June, partnering with the biggest game companies to reveal brand new hardware and software. However, the show struggled to find an audience in recent years and was particularly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Geoff Keighley's Summer Games Fest now seems poised to hold the June industry news slot unopposed, alongside showcases from other companies. That continues with The Game Awards in December - though that show has been criticised for not fully representing the industry.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Free bar at the wake, all invited.

(It's dnb, you're still safe to party👌)
Summer Game Fest pretty much the new E3, but better and more focused. While the Game Awards is E3 in the winter, but worse.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"If they had a huge team, they'd just have one team work on the PC, one team work on the Xbox, and the whole time they'd be trying to optimize all three versions," York says. "But it just doesn't work that way. We don't have the money, we don't have the resources, we don't have the manpower. So we just prioritize what's best for the company's money. So let's put all our money into the PlayStation, then the Xbox, then the PC.
We don't have the money, we don't have the resources, we don't have the manpower.
Ok, it's an ex employee, so maybe he's talking out his ass, but

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Reactions: bluegate
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Additionally PC Gamer weighs in -

One thing never mentioned is that while Rockstar is the face of GTA, they still get marching orders from Take 2. Ports have never been a big priority with them. Max Payne 3 was probably the closest to day one, but it was also a very linear game with minimal technical aspects to iron out. Compare that to RDR2 which offered a ton of extra customization options far beyond consoles’ capabilities but was also a bit of a hot mess at launch.

Another consideration is just how unstable some of their past games have been even on console. RDR1 was reportedly hobbled together with duct tape and black magic as it is, which might help explain why it never even got a port. They are also pretty rigid about the exposure of their new games and how they’re perceived; especially higher profile stuff like a new GTA. Once the game’s on PC the cat’s out of the bag in terms of what modders can do.

Odds are it will only be a matter of time for a PC version, but not until after the consoles have run their initial course and the next GTA Online is rolled out.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Games for Prime: link it to Epic and they're giving away Deathloop!

EPIC is giving away a bunch of DLC for Destiny 2 but the store reads they're giving yet another game away in 6 days or so.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Sigh.... They're really trying to create another "Skyrim on everything" case, aren't they? At least it's free for PC (not sure about consoles), and I know I'll be getting this. At least it will be still bettter than Starfield

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Are there that many people stanning for Fallout 4?
Well, IIRC FO4 was a relatively successful game, and still seems to have an active community base. I checked the Nexus mods, and Skyrim SE currently has about 60k user mods, while FO4 has 48k. I'm also willing bet once the update gets released, more people will flock towards it for the first time or return after experiencing how disappointing Starfield was.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well, IIRC FO4 was a relatively successful game, and still seems to have an active community base. I checked the Nexus mods, and Skyrim SE currently has about 60k user mods, while FO4 has 48k. I'm also willing bet once the update gets released, more people will flock towards it for the first time or return after experiencing how disappointing Starfield was.
The sounds of a settlement in need of my help are echoing in my ears again.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The sounds of a settlement in need of my help are echoing in my ears again.
There's a mod for that, although I feel if it wasn't for the crappy radiant quest design mods like this aren't even necessary in the first place

Reactions: BrawlMan