Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saltburn

The Gothic answer to Talented Mr. Ripley, with a side of the increasingly popular Eat-the-Rich parable (Parasite, The Menu, Triangle of Sadness, the Knives Out movies). This version of the story is more gimmicky because, irregardless of what you make of the hero's motivation, his objective isn't clear from the beginning. And while the end 'makes sense' and ties every plot strand into a nice Machiavellian bow, there's a bunch of more sexual and psychological stuff that I felt went kinda unaccounted for by the end.

I liked the movie. Probably my favorite movie where the hero thirstily slurps cummy bath water from the drain.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never seen Bad Santa, but I also don't seek out Christmas movies. I only watched this one because my gf wanted to.
Check out Violent Night when you get the chance. It's on Amazon Prime for free. You'll get some bad ass action there.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Barbie
Fun movie. Any controversy is probably overblown. The more serious beats I don't really think fit in there well. It's all so goofy. It's also a commercial for Chevy for some reason. 6/10

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So I'm not alone. I think I liked the movie, but can't pin down why. The cummy bathwater wasn't it (for sure,) but it kept me watching.
How about the part where the hero says I'm a fucking vampire and then laps up the menstrual juices from that lady's bleeding vagina?

e699b742b27487040dabc1dc4ac4bf3c.gif

We've come a long way from the Hays Code.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
How about the part where the hero says I'm a fucking vampire and then laps up the menstrual juices from that lady's bleeding vagina?

View attachment 10385

We've come a long way from the Hays Code.
Oh yes, let us not forget the menstrual cunnilingus. Just another facet of the movie I can't describe my feelings about, but also managed to enjoy. I feel kinda dirty, like a heterosexual college girl who got molested by her roommate and liked it as much as she feels violated.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh yes, let us not forget the menstrual cunnilingus. Just another facet of the movie I can't describe my feelings about, but also managed to enjoy. I feel kinda dirty, like a heterosexual college girl who got molested by her roommate and liked it as much as she feels violated.
That is a hell of a sentance.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Barbie.

It’s funny that a movie as cute and silly as this manages to quite poignantly examine the ills of vanity and materialism and their effect on young people. More-so females but it’s not so girl-power that males are left out in the cold. Props for the real Barbie’s inspirational cameo.

Reactions: Worgen and BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Barbie movie. Its so good, its cute, its fun, it even manages get a few light hits in the feels. I can see why it made a billion dollars and it deserves it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kill Bill 1-2

Nothing new to add about these movies, other than my surprise to find out "OK... Rocket" from Volume 2 is played by the same actress as Miss Laura from Django (Lara Cayouette).

8ar637_(1).jpg

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Saltburn

The Gothic answer to Talented Mr. Ripley, with a side of the increasingly popular Eat-the-Rich parable (Parasite, The Menu, Triangle of Sadness, the Knives Out movies). This version of the story is more gimmicky because, irregardless of what you make of the hero's motivation, his objective isn't clear from the beginning. And while the end 'makes sense' and ties every plot strand into a nice Machiavellian bow, there's a bunch of more sexual and psychological stuff that I felt went kinda unaccounted for by the end.

I liked the movie. Probably my favorite movie where the hero thirstily slurps cummy bath water from the drain.
Grossed my poor daughter out to no end. Dunno if it's my cup of tea.

The Artifice Girl Tubi free movies
Got a 6.6/10. I think it deserves much more. I wonder if some people are just expecting a lot of spectacle in their movies before giving it high marks.

This is science fiction. This is well performed, lean, excellent film making with a terrific, tight script. This is the sort of thing that shows the promise of what talented people can do to put together a work of art that stays with you. That makes you think.

I was almost annoyed in the 1st ten min. or so as I thought I had the plot fully pieced out so, why was everyone taking so long? Acting so dumb. Like the best of this sort of thing, we do find out quickly what is going on and that was just the tip of the iceberg.

As you will know what is going on quickly,
Genius programmer creates a program meant to look like an 11 year old girl to go into chat rooms, catch predators and send data anonomously to intelligence agencies so they can make arrests, etc. Again: tip of the iceberg.

Almost 100% unknowns in the movie. Lance Henricksen has a good part! Haven't seen him in a long while.

I'll have to keep an eye out on writer/director Franklin Ritch's career. Hope to see more of this quality.

A+

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I gave Rebel Moon a watch.

As far as Zack Snyder movies go...it's fine.

There's zero creativity in the movie, and Zack Snyder should never be allowed to write anything as his writing is about on par with your average generic young adult novel. It looks fine (if a bit too Zach Snyder brown), sounds good, and is not so overly long as to make me want to turn it off from exhaustion like Justice League is. I mostly enjoyed how good it sounded with my surround sound system. Shots from the movie are directly stolen from other movies, among them being Star Wars, The Matrix, Avatar, John Conner of Mars, Dune, Blade Runner, Gladiator, and I'm sure there's others I missed. Snyder kind of just takes a bunch of sci-fi tropes and throws them into a blender to see what sticks.

Basically it's Zack Snyder's Star Wars that he couldn't get the Star Wars license for, with a bit of Warhammer 40K and Seven Samurai thrown in there because reasons. It's the same thing Lucas did when he couldn't get the license for Flash Gordon, which in turn existed because the creators couldn't get the license for Buck Rogers, which exists because the creator couldn't license A Princess of Mars.

There's not much of a reason to watch this movie. There's nothing creative or interesting about it, but if you have time to kill you could do worse. It feels like Zack Snyder is trying really hard to make a movie that says "fascism bad" after all of the complaints about his other movies being "overtly pro-fascist." It's not even a good enough movie to try and dissect any themes though, nor do I think Zack Snyder knows what themes, subtext, or undertones are.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's the same thing Lucas did when he couldn't get the license for Flash Gordon, which in turn existed because the creators couldn't get the license for Buck Rogers, which exists because the creator couldn't license A Princess of Mars.
There's a 1000 layers worth of irony in that sentence.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
John Wick 4 was kind of a letdown. It was better than 3, but felt far too long and honestly there was maybe one scene that I thought was something worth a three hour runtime.

I mean, it didn't make me nauseous. That was nice.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Godzilla Minus One 10/10 (Obviously)

I made an excuse to go see this with a cousin last night and I was pretty blown away. I doubt I can add anything new to the conversation, it's hard to call this a "Godzilla" movie here. It's not a cheesy rollicking adventure. It's a pretty melancholic drama about the after affects of WWII and the Japanese reconstruction era, but blessedly there's no tonally inconsistency that one might expect with that much weight thrown in a Monster smashy smashy film. Instead Godzilla is represented more as a characterless wave of devastative and allows the audience a sort of lens into the Japanese spirit in the wake of the bombings and loss of dignity post WWII. In addition to disarmament the Japanese were broken culturally as a people. This is seen quite a bit as the protagonist comes home from war to a city, not decimated, but literally only containing rubble left to dig through.

All the dialog is really sharply written and delivered. I don't want to stereotype japanese cinema, but having watched an array of asian cinema over the last 40 years, I've generally found Japanese cinema to struggle with a fear of intimacy. Even in dramatic film there's always comedy and cheese more often than not, filled with tropes. Whenever a serious well written drama comes out of Japan it usually ends up being a cult classic. The point I'm trying to make is that when I think Asian gut punch drama I think Korea, not Japan. That's why I was floored that this film managed to capture completely the bleakness and heartbreak intermingled with passion and hope you'd normally expect from a film by Bong Joon-ho. Even more interestingly the director of Godzilla Minus One is known for some pretty cheesy scifi like Returner and Dragon Quest. This feels like something entirely different than anything I've seen from him before.

I think more than anything Godzilla Minus One debates detractors of the Transformers Live action films who demand humans be removed from the films. Godzilla Minus One shows very clearly how important the human element is to the film. Unlike in the Legendary Godzilla films, especially towards the end, where it just looks like action figures being smashed together, here everything is filmed from the perspective of those most affected. This is turn forces the audience to "live" through the drama and terror. Godzilla Minus One will have you trapped in a glass box of emotions the entire run time. Easy recommendation.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Flaming Hot

A feel-good rags to riches comedy slash loosely based docu-drama about the man who responsible for bringing Flaming Hot Cheetohs to the masses. It's easily entertaining and occasionally heart warming, but apparently he started taking credit for something he didn't actually invent. What's odd is why it took so long for anyone to contest the claim. Either way one thing is certain: the ingredients that Frito-Lay uses are a far cry from what the movie shows it originated as.