General Gaming News.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Question: I had Games for Gold on Xbox. Now it is Gamepass Core: 25 games. No new games each month any more.

Is there to tell if anything has come and gone from Core? Get email notifications maybe?

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
They should've added new game+ for this moment. and an actual end screen I suppose.

School of block.
Willis Gibson's feat of gaming came after he placed third at the 2023 Classic Tetris World ChampionshipsImage credit: Willis Gibson via BBC

They said it couldn't be done, but to the nay-sayers let me tell you this - Tetris has finally been "beaten".

In a world first, 13-year-old Willis "Blue Scuti" Gibson - who is a competitive Tetris player - has managed to get the decades old falling block game to reveal its "kill screen". While not your traditional end of game, with credits or even game over message, this screen essentially sees Tetris crash. This is beating Tetris, a once thought impossible feat.

The delight shown by the young player, who was born over two decades after the game actually released, as the screen freezes is palpable. "Oh my god," Gibson repeats. "I'm going to pass out, I can't feel my fingers."

It took Gibson 38 minutes to complete the game, where he reached an impressive level 157 and a score of 999999 (the numbers don't go any higher).

"When I started playing this game I never expected to ever crash the game, or beat it," he wrote on his YouTube channel. Here, he also said this run also set world records for Tetris' "Overall Score, Level, Lines, and 19 Score".

You can watch his achievements in action via the video below.

The First Time Somebody Has Ever "Beat" Tetris.

This Tetris feat has been celebrated across the media, with president of the Classic Tetris World Championship Vince Celemnte telling NYT: "It's basically something that everyone thought was impossible until a couple of years ago."

In a sad state of affairs, however, Gibson's achievement has been met by scrutiny from one Sky news anchor. Following a report on this new record, the presenter looked pointedly at the screen informing Gibson to "step away from the screen" and "go outside" to get some fresh air.

"Beating Tetris is not a life goal," she seemed to mock. All the while, news regarding 16-year-old Darts player Luke Littler panned across the bottom of the screen, with the young player's loss last night during the World Championship final painted in a much more glowing light.

Thankfully, the gaming community has rallied round Gibson, and shared their support for the record breaker.

Head of comms at the UK's games industry trade body UKIE, Bhavina Bharkhada remarked had Gibson been a chess champion, we would "all be celebrating".

Rare's Becky Frost also replied to a post sharing the news clip in question, stating: "'Beating Tetris is not a life goal' ...yeah, for YOU, Sandra. How many world records had YOU set at 13 years old? What a small-minded, smug & horrible way to belittle this kid's achievement. As A MoTheR I'd be super fucking proud. This took skill & determination, brilliant job!"

Meanwhile, YRS TRULY junior campaign manager Imogen Calypso Mellor called the presenter's behaviour "embarrassing".

"Imagine, doing something so impressive it's deemed worthy of being on Sky News, only for the presenter at the end to laugh at you and tell you to go outside," she wrote.

Imagine, doing something so impressive it's deemed worthy of being on Sky News, only for the presenter at the end to laugh at you and tell you to go outside?
Embarrassing behaviour honestly. https://t.co/SIIK9UgziH
— Imogen Calypso Mellor (@ImoMellor) January 4, 2024
All I can say is, if you find something that you love and it makes you happy without harming others, crack on! Life is too short, go and have some fun.

Last edited:

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
New fully Ramblomatic's out and after I got downvoted elsewhere can safely say Square Enix Fans are having a meltdown/on suicide watch since Forespoken and FF16 got two bad rewards from Yahtzee

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
New fully Ramblomatic's out
I already posted the video in Game Articles, but okay.

Square Enix Fans are having a meltdown/on suicide watch since Forespoken and FF16 got two bad rewards from Yahtzee
Sucks to be them. If they like both games, than what the hell they need his validation for? No one answer that.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
As an aside, Sky News can go F themselves. I’d expect that condescending bs from Fox News but I guess someone’s trying to outdo them.
"Beating Tetris is not a life goal," she seemed to mock. All the while, news regarding 16-year-old Darts player Luke Littler panned across the bottom of the screen, with the young player's loss last night during the World Championship final painted in a much more glowing light.
All I hear from her is "I'm pissed this kid seems to get more/better attention than me!"

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Thought of jingle for star citizen updates. To the tune of Elton John's classic...

"Ahhhhm. Stiiiill. Scamming. After allll this time!"

For audio reference;

Annnnnyway. Moving on. Uhh... Star citizen update!

Star Citizen's latest DLC pack costs almost £46,000 (€53K /$58K).

Developer Cloud Imperium Group's latest Legatus DLC pack – always the game's most controversial add-on – initially went on sale for an eye-watering £21K ($27K) five years ago. The latest, as spotted by Tweaktown, is currently on sale for £46,000 and includes everything in prior Legatus packs along with all the add-ons released since.

The website adds that Squadron 42 is "currently under development" and reminds players that Star Citizen is currently available in Alpha with "additional features and updates" released "as they are developed".

"Ahead of all others, this definitive armada is an equal match to the noble title of Legatus Navium," the official website explains, just before confirming the price: €53,121.60 (the equivalent of £45,712.88 / $58,163.42 at today's rates).

"Comprised of over 175 vessels from every manufacturer of note, this perfect collection, including all ships released and concepted through 2953, empowers every fleet commander to forge a lasting legacy, leading humanity towards a brighter future.

"The Karna “Ascension” Rifle will be available in-game in Q1 2024."

Have £46K lying around and feel like getting involved? Well, that may not be enough. You'll need to make your funds stretch even further, apparently, as you seemingly can't even buy the pack until you reach a certain tier of Star Citizen's Chairman's Club. IGN reports that you need to spend "$10,000 on other in-game items" (that's £7.8K / €9.1K) to even be given the opportunity to buy the Legatus pack.

Players point out that "you only need one $45 ship to play the game", and "everything can be earned in game doing group content with other players, or strictly solo". Other, cheaper packs are also available.

Last year, Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Group acquired the Montreal-based studio, Turbulent. Turbulent and Cloud Imperium had been collaborating together on Star Citizen since 2012.

The acquisition means that Cloud Imperium now has over 1100 people "around the world working on its ambitious projects", including Austin, Frankfurt, Los Angeles, Manchester, and Montreal, and all 189 Turbulent employees "remain[ed] in place". The studio's current management team also remained in situ.

once more for those at the back;

Have £46K lying around and feel like getting involved? Well, that may not be enough. You'll need to make your funds stretch even further, apparently, as you seemingly can't even buy the pack until you reach a certain tier of Star Citizen's Chairman's Club. IGN reports that you need to spend "$10,000 on other in-game items" (that's £7.8K / €9.1K) to even be given the opportunity to buy the Legatus pack.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
After MGS "Master" Collection BS, I have very low faith in either projects

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
After MGS "Master" Collection BS, I have very low faith in either projects

Surely Konami has put the manpower and effort behind they beloved projects. They've not steered either franchise wrong before right? Right?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Nvidia annouces new 40 Super models, with prices ranging from $599 to $999

Some games will clearly benefit from its capabilities

There will also be games that do support RTX, but barely make a difference

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
This why I can never trust Microsoft on their word, or indeed any large enough corporation where lies are just too cheap and profitable to bother entertaining a meagre hint of honesty. But mostly Microsoft, cause their entire history of bullshit is long and colourful way before Xbox even existed.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
IGN usually tries to defend upcoming games, trying to mention what they do best. I guess they aren't doing that anymore

How did we go from Arkham series to this?
Warner Bros being greedy and nickel and diming every single aspect of single player gaming. Also, didn't several people at Rocksteady leave? Many of the major developers and programmers?

This why I can never trust Microsoft on their word, or indeed any large enough corporation where lies are just too cheap and profitable to bother entertaining a meagre hint of honesty. But mostly Microsoft, cause their entire history of bullshit is long and colourful way before Xbox even existed.

You beat me to it. Oh well, at least it's here.