Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is this really warranted dude?
Yes.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate him? (Yes, I know you won't want me to respond to your answer, no need to point that out)
Both of you listen closely:

Because he's a grifter with a smile. He started out okay, and actually did his research for a time, but that changed about 2013-2014. His "game theories" are nothing, but bullshit WMGs (wild mass guessings) and shit gamers debunked years ago or before even started on YouTube, repackaged as "just a theory" pretending to be ("possible") facts. His videos became 30+ minutes of nothing. Also, expect 2/3rds of his Mario "Theories" to be the lame, tired, overdone, "Mario is a genocidal monster/maniac!". You'll grow aggravated or bored at some point. The man has been on auto pilot with this bullshit for over a decade. Also, his shit kept showing up in my recommendation feed for a good while, even though I never watched too many his videos. This was the mid 2010s at the time and I had already checked out around late 2013ish.

Ironically, his best video is the Film Theory episode on FMA and how Edward got the formula wrong on the components of the human body. That was when he was actually still trying and out effort into his research, and not made up bullshit he pulled out of his ass or from piss takes from mid-2000s video game forums.

You wanna cry for him, either of y'all can have fun with that. Not wasting anything else on him. My rant is more than enough. If you need anything else, I'll be busy for a moment.

Also this. Have fun with that. There's lots of ground to cover, because it's a long ass page.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Yes.

Because he's a grifter with a smile. He started out okay, and actually did his research for a time, but that changed about 2013-2014. His "game theories" are nothing, but bullshit WMGs (wild mass guessings) and shit gamers debunked years ago or before even started on YouTube, repackaged as "just a theory" pretending to be ("possible") facts. His videos became 30+ minutes of nothing. Also, expect 2/3rds of his Mario "Theories" to be the lame, tired, overdone, "Mario is a genocidal monster/maniac!". You'll grow aggravated or bored at some point. The man has been on auto pilot with this bullshit for over a decade. Also, his shit kept showing up in my recommendation feed for a good while, even though I never watched too many his videos. This was the mid 2010s at the time and I had already checked out around late 2013ish.

Ironically, his best video is the Film Theory episode on FMA and how Edward got the formula wrong on the components of the human body. That was when he was actually still trying and out effort into his research, and not made up bullshit he pulled out of his ass or from piss takes from mid-2000s video game forums.

You wanna cry for him, either of y'all can have fun with that. Not wasting anything else on him. My rant is more than enough. If you need anything else, I'll be busy for a moment.

Also this. Have fun with that. There's lots of ground to cover, because it's a long ass page.
The Film Theory and The Food Theory were both great at the start, but it began losing is steam very quickly.

And then there were some side projects on his main channel that didn't go anywhere; deadlock I felt was just trying to start a flame war, and reality check was a nice concept, but he didn't go far enough.

IDK, maybe this is better for everyone

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Oh god this is going to be zero fun, isn't it. The character in the trailer (presumably Kat) looks ripped out of some modern day real world flick.

I'll echo this sentiment. I remember the early days, and they were well thought out and researched theories. Then somewhere along the line his theories were filled a lot of reaching, incorrect pieces of information that lacked backing (and were countered by currently existing facts he neglected to mention), and his videos were full of clickbait. I remember watching a video that debunked his film theory on The Lorax, and one had to wonder where the hell MatPat's head was when he made that video.
Above all of this though, he said it himself in his goodbye video. For a long time the words he's said weren't even his, and that many episodes over the years were written and theorized by other people. All he did was go over the script and give it his spin on things.

I'm not sure I'd wave him off with a big ol middle finger and and the toss of rotten fruit, but I'm definitely not going to miss him after he's gone

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh god this is going to be zero fun, isn't it. The character in the trailer (presumably Kat) looks ripped out of some modern day real world flick.
It's concept footage, so I'll hold my judgement until an actual trailer comes out.

Above all of this though, he said it himself in his goodbye video. For a long time the words he's said weren't even his, and that many episodes over the years were written and theorized by other people. All he did was go over the script and give it his spin on things.
No shit MatPat. The only ones shocked by you, are the many people, and especially your echo chamber, dumb enough to constantly fall for it.

I'm not sure I'd wave him off with a big ol middle finger and and the toss of rotten fruit,
No fruit, but several pimp smacks to the face will do.

Now on to bigger and better things. Take it away, Brian Cox.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yes.

I stopped watching him years ago pretty much for this reason. The FNAF theories were interesting but pretty much everything else was just kind of all over the place and not particularly interesting.

I'm fine with new and interesting ways to look at stuff, in fact I look forward to when I hear some new spin on an established thing(my wife is probably tired of hearing some of my rambling theories about things I'm interested in, but at least I'll cite my reasoning and research), but there's also just pulling stuff out of your ass and MatPat often seems to be in AssPull territory. So I stopped watching and honestly forgot about all about him until this.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

FFS, hate the game, not the actress! This seems to be happening a lot. I hate Genshin Impact, but I don't harass the VAs!

She actually did a pretty damn good job.
It's not even the voice actress, just the face model. I don't know if Laura Bailey got harassed over this game, but considering what she went through with Abby she might just be used to this shit by now. The face model for Abby was also harassed by the way, cuz of course she was.
Don't you just love that it's live-action? Don't you just love how it has zero of the French art nouveau style that the visuals of the original game were based on?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

FFS, hate the game, not the actress! This seems to be happening a lot. I hate Genshin Impact, but I don't harass the VAs!

She actually did a pretty damn good job.
Why would they hate the game when what they hate is that MJ doesn't look like a pinup girl? These shitstains don't care about the game, they care about how women look in it.

Hating isn't what these people should be doing.