Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Foundation S02 (Apple TV)

Ugh. So much money spent, and yet there's some terrible mediocrity about this. Firstly, I think the entire thing struggles to maintain cohesion throughout. Lots of stuff happens, and much of it just feels messy. At all too many points, it deeply strains the viewers credibility. And much of it - especially towards the end of the season, seems surpassingly lazy - cliffhangers and imperilments conveniently always resolved in stupid "Aha!" ways. And, again, fundamentally there is a massive problem with the central tenet of psychohistory constantly being subverted for the contemporary TV audience's need to have a special hero save the day. Psychohistory predicts the future on societal development of mass action and is the reason the plot exists, and then the show effectively sends the message that psychohistory is a load of old bollocks because it's unique, special heroes winning out on knife-edge decisions that determines the future.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Watched the first episode of Echo and it was surprisingly not terrible. Nothing special, but it held my attention well enough, and for a (live-action) streaming show that's a commendable feat.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Watched the first episode of Echo with friends.

It's actually commendable how much of the show is told in sign language. Every person who gives half a shit about Maya Lopez bothered to learn how to sign, and that's wholesome. No idea if that's realistic, given I know no deaf people. The lady they cast, who is both deaf and has a prosthetic leg, was an amazing choice. Hell, she's even actually Native American. AND her child actor looks so much like her it's genuinely weird.

What is not commendable is how roughly 20% of the first episode was literally scenes cut directly from Hawkeye. Which felt incredibly cheap, and I felt like it still wouldn't really help a person who has not watched Hawkeye get up to speed. So odd choice there.

But I was genuinely shocked at how good the one big action sequence was here. It's DEFINITELY better than anything that's even been shown on Disney+, and yet still different from Daredevil on Netflix. Not sure how I feel about the main character and her motivations, but I am more than willing to stick around for this kind of eye candy.
In the comics apparently she can just lipread lol.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Does her power set justify this?
In the comics, maybe (she can mimic any action she sees given time, basically Taskmaster but with more than fighting replication). So it's possible like she used her power to learn to mimic some stuntman / professional parachutist / military person taught to fall from a height without injury.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm kinda liking Echo. The action is pretty neat - seeing someone get suplexed into a pinball machine was on a level I wouldn't have expected from an MCU show. The lead is quite good, she has this Stephanie Beatriz resting 'give no fucks' face that feels very suitable for the character, and she sells the action pretty well. Graham Greene is always a delight to see on screen too. And I'm decently engaged in the whole family drama angle as well.

Now, I must preface this by saying it's just going to be more meaningless content for the MCU grill (which is already on loose screws), but I'll give praise where it's earned.

Also, I've never watched Dare Devil and didn't even make it through the first episode of Hawkeye... but is that really the accent Vincent D'Onofrio went for? :unsure:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'm kinda liking Echo. The action is pretty neat - seeing someone get suplexed into a pinball machine was on a level I wouldn't have expected from an MCU show. The lead is quite good, she has this Stephanie Beatriz resting 'give no fucks' face that feels very suitable for the character, and she sells the action pretty well. Graham Greene is always a delight to see on screen too. And I'm decently engaged in the whole family drama angle as well.

Now, I must preface this by saying it's just going to be more meaningless content for the MCU grill (which is already on loose screws), but I'll give praise where it's earned.

Also, I've never watched Dare Devil and didn't even make it through the first episode of Hawkeye... but is that really the accent Vincent D'Onofrio went for? :unsure:

I quit after episode 2, They had this crazy scene where that guy from Happy Days comes in and jumps a bunch of sharks on a waterski. Too much for me.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Because they become a useful tool for right-wing movement. For a public famous person, with a captive audience and public profile, their actual private personal beliefs literally don't matter to anyone but themselves.
Also, political beliefs don't just conform to binary left/right. For example I can cite just from my own life people who would consider themselves leftist or conservative but both don't believe the Covid vaccine works or some government conspiracy, a sentiment that has now been mobilized and benefits Republican demagogues like Ron Desantis.

I'm sorry I just no longer have any patience for this sort of thing- we are adults and we have to recognize the world we live in. Trans people are one of the most murdered demographics in the US and parts of the world and Republican politicians use queerphobia and transphobia to garner support and donations and pass laws to further oppress minorities and women. So if Gervais is like 99% "left" but uses his comedy specials to go "hur dur I identify as a frying pan" then he is, in today's current political context, a right-wing fucking tool. And either he is genuinely too stupid to understand this- which frankly I don't believe, he is not stupid- or is purposely doing this or, my guess- he kind of just doesn't give a shit, which is the worst because that is immoral. And being a self-involved immoral uncaring shit is actually the most current right-wing thing considering the current leader of that whole movement.
What are you talking about? I watched the Gervais special and nothing he said I'd consider right-wing. When has Desantis said vaccines don't work or is some government conspiracy? IIRC, Florida guidance is in step with most European countries that actually don't recommend boosters for anyone but the vulnerable (as there is literally no data showing benefit for boosters for normal people). This Wikipedia entry says trans are less likely to get murdered than cisgender people.

Yep, Florida booster recommendation is literally the same as like every single European country (but this is a right-wing conspiracy?):
Based on the high rate of global immunity and currently available data, the State Surgeon General recommends against the COVID-19 booster for individuals under 65.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I quit after episode 2, They had this crazy scene where that guy from Happy Days comes in and jumps a bunch of sharks on a waterski. Too much for me.
You talking about the train sequence? I mean, yeah, but this is Marvel; we also had regular people like Black Widow and Hawkeye take on aliens and robots. 🤷‍♂️ Maya is one of those 'trained from an early age to be badass' characters superhero comics love. The show seems to be more about her growing as a character then growing strong as a fighter anyway. And the action (so far) is more creative then I've seen in the whole of the MCU. Again I'll point to her suplexing someone into a pinball machine.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
You talking about the train sequence? I mean, yeah, but this is Marvel; we also had regular people like Black Widow and Hawkeye take on aliens and robots. 🤷‍♂️ Maya is one of those 'trained from an early age to be badass' characters superhero comics love. The show seems to be more about her growing as a character then growing strong as a fighter anyway. And the action (so far) is more creative then I've seen in the whole of the MCU. Again I'll point to her suplexing someone into a pinball machine.
The action scenes in this show rival the better of the fight scenes in Daredevil, and I mean that as a big compliment. In particular, the skating rink set piece in general is, IMO, the best action scene the MCU has had in a couple of years, and I'm including the movies on that one.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The action scenes in this show rival the better of the fight scenes in Daredevil, and I mean that as a big compliment. In particular, the skating rink set piece in general is, IMO, the best action scene the MCU has had in a couple of years, and I'm including the movies on that one.
I wish we had seen a bit more of the literal pistol whipping, but yeah, using the environment like that really made that whole sequence memorable then if it was just a regular hand-to-hand fight.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Finished Echo, and it was a nice show. The final episode felt a little flimsey though, and the show definitely needed a longer run. One thing I hadn't noticed till it was over is that it's very light on the typical Marvel humor. None of the usual 'well that happened' type jokes to undercut genuine moments. There's a scene between Maya and her grandma that feels very real and emotional and at no point is there a lighthearted or humorous line to ease off the seriousness of this conversation. It's okay to have this Disney/Marvel, in fact I prefer it.

As I do with other movies or shows that I just finished, and at least left a positive effect on me, I searched for reviews on youtube. And boy... the racist freaks are quite desperate to show what racist freaks they are just in their thumbnails alone.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
True Detective: Night Country

Have to say that I was both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by the first episode. Overwhelmed for the sheer number of characters and subplots that are introduced and given more or less equal prominence, which makes me think this season is going to be more about the town, the characters and a bunch of lofty themes and less about the mystery itself. Underwhelmed for the same reasons, I guess. True Detective has always subtly toyed with the idea that supernatural stuff might be going on with eerie visions and lore; Night Country kicks off with the kinda stuff that would be a bit much even for a finale, even if everything can still be handwaved logically (a herd of terrible CGI elk stampedes and suicides over a bluff; a ghost leads a person to a mass grave via interpretative dance). And I wish the supernatural veneer remained on the sidelines instead of being so front and center. It kinda undoes the mystique. Night Country feels like someone's dumb idea of what Twin Peaks is.

Oh, and the music. I like the atmosphere but the constant pop needle drops keep taking me out of it. Like Billie Eilish singing the intro. I actually like her but she's miscast here, or whatever you call a song that is all wrong for the thing.

Obligatory "will keep watching because it's only six episodes and it's nice to have an HBO show on Sunday night and I'm pretty sure they're doing their version of the Dyatlov Pass Incident which has always intrigued me and I wanna know if I'm right and how it plays out plus Jodie Foster with a gun" but knowing it's never gonna get as good as S1 is disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The Curious Case of Natalia Grace

The way this documentary is structured feels kinda dishonest in an attempt to dramatize the story. Basically it starts off hearing the adoptive dad’s perspective, which makes the girl (who suffers from a rare bone disorder that makes her look much younger than she is) out to be worse than that girl from The Orphan. Then we hear her side of things, and see him have a total manchild-like breakdown minutes into them meeting face-to-face and realize he was almost certainly full of shit. Oh, and his wife was basically Gone Girl: Child Abuse Edition.

Equal parts disturbing, confusing, frustrating and heartbreaking.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Finished Echo. Probably the best Marvel anything in the last couple of years, IMO.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is that considered an accent? Like is it supposed to be a accent from New York or something? I always thought it was just a mannerism of speech specific to him.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Is that considered an accent? Like is it supposed to be a accent from New York or something? I always thought it was just a mannerism of speech specific to him.
I didn't pick up any accent. Like you said, it just seems to be a speaking affect, to show that he's not really comfortable conversing.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Whatever it was, it made him come across less genuine (the acting not the character) than he would've if he just spoke regularly. This is Vincent D'Onofrio, the guy has a naturally imposing voice, there's no need for this Shatner-izing. Doesn't ruin the character or anything, but it never really blended into the character either.

Also, regarding the end credits... does this show only exist to set up Fisk becoming mayor of New York? *sigh* Marvel's gonna Marvel, right?