What have you learned today?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Anyone who's had a hole poked in them can probably attest that it's a bit more than just "annoying"
Not to mention, without the aid of modern medicine. Kevin Hicks has done a few other interesting videos on medicine, and people were quite creative with the tools and resources they had, but without real anesthetic or antibiotics...not nice.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
In Brazil, they have police that ride water buffaloes. Apparently though there's lots of domesticated water buffaloes doing lots of things, so police riding them isn't that odd, and they can travel well in the swamps.
Now it makes sense.

cf4442b32b0324ec050458bee67d3526.jpg

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Ah, the "only men can produce what society needs" mindset. Why are there so many insecure guys who need to be praised by society literally every waking second or their egos crumble?
It’s more that males are simpler creatures by nature, and typically need far less to be happy. Less demand for whatever is out there means less dollars being made by the companies selling it all. Even a fraction of roughly half the population opting out on a majority of consumerism would make a huge dent in bottom lines.

The other thing is all the highly physical/hazardous/dirty/shit jobs needed to keep society functional. Infrastructure and other boring stuff. How many women are in those kinds of positions? How likely would they be to fill those positions if men simply stopped doing them? We’d better hope that robots would eventually pick up all the slack. Or get used to a much simpler lifestyle!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ah, the "only men can produce what society needs" mindset. Why are there so many insecure guys who need to be praised by society literally every waking second or their egos crumble?
I guess because they are used to the remnants of a society that did just that. Usual guys having a whinge that they are being judged on their merits.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that if people are wearing upside-down pineapple jewelry, or have upside-down pineapples printed on their shirts, or are even just carrying an actual pineapple upside-down, it's a sign that they're swingers and looking to hook up. (This probably would have been equally apropos in the "WTF" thread.) Now that I know this, I'm going to be looking for it everywhere; not because I'm interested, just curious if some perverted cabal has been right under my nose my entire life.

Also, that's very specific; who the hell came up with THAT as their "secret handshake??" Is it because that's how you'd hold it if you're about to... shove it... up... someone's...?!?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Today I learned that if people are wearing upside-down pineapple jewelry, or have upside-down pineapples printed on their shirts, or are even just carrying an actual pineapple upside-down, it's a sign that they're swingers and looking to hook up. (This probably would have been equally apropos in the "WTF" thread.) Now that I know this, I'm going to be looking for it everywhere; not because I'm interested, just curious if some perverted cabal has been right under my nose my entire life.

Also, that's very specific; who the hell came up with THAT as their "secret handshake??" Is it because that's how you'd hold it if you're about to... shove it... up... someone's...?!?
Huh, I used to know someone was obsessed with pineapples, and has lots of pineapple themed clothing. I don't think it's because of this, but law of average says there will be some upside down pineapples involved.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Huh, I used to know someone was obsessed with pineapples, and has lots of pineapple themed clothing. I don't think it's because of this, but law of average says there will be some upside down pineapples involved.
I'm telling, man, if I start looking, I'll probably discover they're everywhere...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh, apparently in 1900 the bubonic plague reached Australia, but by taking quick measures to contain it, it was dealt with with only a few hundred casualties nation wide.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Can’t argue, but also can’t put a price on living a peaceful, drama-free life.
Doh! Can't find it. There's a comic in Warren Farrel's "The Myth of Male Power" that has a husband and wife in a minimalist setting doing meditation sitting on the floor. Between them is a pot with a single bladed plant emerging. The woman has one eye open and says, "my sister has two pots."

I do think men and women differ in their toy preferences.We're not always minimalists!

1706825351772.png

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Huh, apparently in 1900 the bubonic plague reached Australia, but by taking quick measures to contain it, it was dealt with with only a few hundred casualties nation wide.
And those measures were? Don’t answer that; I’d prefer to imagine it was an army of plague doctors with spears forcing anyone with a runny nose or a fever into the ocean ala the Black Panther challenge day fight scene. There, they were consumed by the infamous poisonous great white sharks (because everything in Australia is poisonous; can't convince me otherwise,) and the shores ran red with the blood for weeks, and no swimming allowed for years. *sigh* history is so much more interesting when you make it up to suit your morbid fantasies...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, 108,000 rats were killed by the authorities (or people collecting the dead rat bounty from the authorities), and perhaps more by private individuals. And there was lots of use of various disinfectants like carbolic acid which is poisonous.