Funny events in anti-woke world

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
One of the more amusing possibilities of the railing against everything woke, is that they might have inadvertently made the "woke games epidemic" happen.

Remember some 10-15 years ago, when complaints of lack of diversity and such were often met with "If you want more diversity in games, go make those games yourself"?

Of course, it was not meant as genuine advice, but as a conversation killing platitude. But it might've been taken to heart nonetheless.
And vote with your wallet, if you don't like it don't play it...cancel culture!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Screenshot (273).png

Oh look, it's the "what about other minorities" type of faux concern racist trolling. Let's break this down, shall we?

First of all, Saga Anderson did not appear in Alan Wake 1. She first appeared in an easter egg video in the connected video game Quantum Break where, yes, she was a white woman. However, it can be argued that the developers hadn't really decided on what she would be like back then. And it wouldn't be the first time a character differed from their first appearance.

Second, Forspoken and Tchia were the only games of 2023 where exclusively played as a black woman. Every other game featured a black woman character as an option but not the only one.

Finally, I love when these guys pretend they care about other minority groups when they just want to hate black people. As if we haven't seen how they react to Lucia (Latina protagonist of Grand Theft Auto 6), Naru (Native American protagonist of 2022's Prey), Kamala Khan (Pakistani-American superhero from Marvel) and Echo (a deaf Native American woman also from the Marvel universe and who recently got her own show).

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Is... this real?

Not that I don't think racist scum like this doesn't exist, but this feels like B-movie level Evil racist. Even the response from the daughter gives off a strange vibe. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and says this might be manufactured. If I'm wrong I'm wrong though.
My reaction as well to be honest. Awful racist shitheads certainly exist and likely would act similarly, but this particular story comes across as made up for clicks.
It might be real, but it's going on a decade old. That image has been doing the rounds for years, and it's exactly the sort of thing that gets fake internet points on Reddit, so at this point the story will probably be kept alive by robots forever.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
There's truth in that, but hard to say, these days. Not that long ago, Trump would have been a bad movie PotUS.
I think that partially ended up killing House of Cards. That the shocking president Underwood came across as pretty normal compared to the guy who was actually president.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One of the more amusing possibilities of the railing against everything woke, is that they might have inadvertently made the "woke games epidemic" happen.

Remember some 10-15 years ago, when complaints of lack of diversity and such were often met with "If you want more diversity in games, go make those games yourself"?

Of course, it was not meant as genuine advice, but as a conversation killing platitude. But it might've been taken to heart nonetheless.
These jackasses are always moving to goal post. I remember those statements as well. Plenty of them were on the old Escapists forum. I'm not going to cry when there is more diversity than ever and and keeps going on positively. Goes to prove that there are other people in the world that aren't just straight white men. The wild raging man babies are just going to have to learn to live with it or keep going back to the past. I don't care which, so long as they stay out of my way, out of the way people trying to do good, or people who just want to have genuine fun.

View attachment 10791

Oh look, it's the "what about other minorities" type of faux concern racist trolling. Let's break this down, shall we?

First of all, Saga Anderson did not appear in Alan Wake 1. She first appeared in an easter egg video in the connected video game Quantum Break where, yes, she was a white woman. However, it can be argued that the developers hadn't really decided on what she would be like back then. And it wouldn't be the first time a character differed from their first appearance.

Second, Forspoken and Tchia were the only games of 2023 where exclusively played as a black woman. Every other game featured a black woman character as an option but not the only one.

Finally, I love when these guys pretend they care about other minority groups when they just want to hate black people. As if we haven't seen how they react to Lucia (Latina protagonist of Grand Theft Auto 6), Naru (Native American protagonist of 2022's Prey), Kamala Khan (Pakistani-American superhero from Marvel) and Echo (a deaf Native American woman also from the Marvel universe and who recently got her own show).
Where did that screenshot come from? Was that the article quoting one of those racist jackasses? I tried looking for it, but I didn't see it. I'm currently on the road right now so I can't exactly read and drive at the same time.

Last edited:

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
These jackasses are always moving to goal post. I remember those statements as well. Plenty of them were on the old Escapists forum. I'm Nick not going to cry when there is more diversity than ever and it continues to do so. Goes to prove that there are other people in the world that aren't just straight white men. The wild raging man babies are just going to have to learn to live with it or keep going back to the past. I don't care which so long as they stay out of my way, out of the way people trying to do good, or people who just want to have genuine fun.

Where did that screenshot come from? Was that the article quoting one of those racist jackasses? I tried looking for it, but I didn't see it. I'm currently on the road right now so I can't exactly read and drive at the same time.
Yeah It's a comment from the kotaku article on Sweet Baby Inc I linked to last page.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Unless Woke costs $100 million dollars and comes with a battle pass, it's basically impossible that it's what's causing problems

Like, games are selling great. Even the bad ones. They're costing too damn much to make, amongst other C suite bullshittery

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Why are RW reactionaries so unable to look at the systems they're living under in any critical lens? They will keep us all caught in this endless useless loop of obsessing over shallow celebrity and pop entertainment instead of the very mechanisms that perpetuate and increase desperation within working class and vulnerable communities till the last nuke wipes our miserable species off the planet forever more. It's so fucking depressing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Unless Woke costs $100 million dollars and comes with a battle pass, it's basically impossible that it's what's causing problems

Like, games are selling great. Even the bad ones. They're costing too damn much to make, amongst other C suite bullshittery
Yeah, but what's easier to get mad at, eh?

Look, somebody with glasses; GET 'M!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why are RW reactionaries so unable to look at the systems they're living under in any critical lens? They will keep us all caught in this endless useless loop of obsessing over shallow celebrity and pop entertainment instead of the very mechanisms that perpetuate and increase desperation within working class and vulnerable communities till the last nuke wipes our miserable species off the planet forever more. It's so fucking depressing.
Because they conditioned themselves, then condition by parts of the system in the system itself, or they know there's more than one problem but they're either denial or want to keep people in the dark so they can feel better about themselves and have them on the same pathetic level as they are.

They're not giving worth a full attention, unless somebody's actually going out to hurt or kill somebody. That said, I never letting these imbeciles off easily.

Speaking of Fringe right wing, Stuttering Craig for a screw attack is an alt-right jackass. I found out early this morning, but it's been known since last year. I haven't seen anything from him since 2011. Not counting the moment I saw him briefly when he did his playthrough of the new Ninja Turtles game back in 2022. He sees anything "woke" as a problem.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I think that partially ended up killing House of Cards. That the shocking president Underwood came across as pretty normal compared to the guy who was actually president.
There's also the fact that the lead actor turned out to be a rapist.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
1709843338092.png

1709843358511.png

And you wonder why so many boys like Peterson, Tate, and Trump.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So if executives hiring consultancies can't force devs to push said stuff into games at all in any way then I guess developers all like making exploitative live service games, or they'd just refuse to make them. Also I guess devs like doing crunch too I mean executives can't make them do anything in any way right so devs love doing way too much overtime to be healthy right?

Yeh.........................

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Shame when they did 99.99% of them have flopped or failed to meet targets so now the target has been turned on existing big well known games that must be changed and it's "they're our games now and you're not getting them back" kind of attitude being shown.